• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FBI finds Russia bribed way into U.S. atomic energy; nuclear deal still went through

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This is extremely old. Reminds me of the old Westinghouse Nuclear deal from the 'oughts.

I could be wrong, but I think the new developments are the facts that the results of an FBI criminal investigation that found actual corruption were suppressed, and neither Obama, Clinton, or the House Intel chairman were made aware prior to the deal's approval.

I could be wrong, but I think the new developments are the facts that the results of an FBI criminal investigation that found actual corruption were suppressed, and neither Obama, Clinton, or the House Intel chairman were made aware prior to the deal's approval.

But it's not; the investigation began four years BEFORE the indictment, or in 2010. At the end of 2010 when the deal was finalized. The deal was then greenlit after C.F.I.U.S. voted the go ahead and no information was available suggesting national security risks.

In the course of the investigation, that lasted, again, almost 4 years after the deal through, they found that there was bribery and extortion.

All the fluff about Clinton and Obama being behind it in there are just right-wing talking points with little basis in reality.

So my reiteration is thus: oh lawdy, Hillary looked at a truck once, she must be selling uranium to Russia. More on that at 9, but coming up on the hour, are lizard people poisoning your food? We talk to Alex Jones to find out how to stay safe.'

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
http://www.snopes.com/hillary-clinton-uranium-russia-deal/

Do these articles discuss anything that Snopes doesn't go over?

I noticed the trucking company info seems new, but not sure how serious it is? We monitor the uranium pretty closely. If Russia was trying to get it out of the country, we should know about it either way. I don't see how owning more of the Canadian company would make it any easier, or likely that Russia would get it out.

But it's not; the investigation began four years BEFORE the indictment, or in 2010. At the end of 2010 when the deal was finalized. The deal was then greenlit after C.F.I.U.S. voted the go ahead and no information was available suggesting national security risks.

In the course of the investigation, that lasted, again, almost 4 years after the deal through, they found that there was bribery and extortion.

All the fluff about Clinton and Obama being behind it in there are just right-wing talking points with little basis in reality.

So my reiteration is thus: oh lawdy, Hillary looked at a truck once, she must be selling uranium to Russia. More on that at 9, but coming up on the hour, are lizard people poisoning your food? We talk to Alex Jones to find out how to stay safe.'

From the Hill Article:

Before the Obama administration approved a controversial deal in 2010 giving Moscow control of a large swath of American uranium, the FBI had gathered substantial evidence that Russian nuclear industry officials were engaged in bribery, kickbacks, extortion and money laundering designed to grow Vladimir Putin's atomic energy business inside the United States, according to government documents and interviews.

Federal agents used a confidential U.S. witness working inside the Russian nuclear industry to gather extensive financial records, make secret recordings and intercept emails as early as 2009 that showed Moscow had compromised an American uranium trucking firm with bribes and kickbacks in violation of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, FBI and court documents show.

They also obtained an eyewitness account — backed by documents — indicating Russian nuclear officials had routed millions of dollars to the U.S. designed to benefit former President Bill Clinton's charitable foundation during the time Secretary of State Hillary Clinton served on a government body that provided a favorable decision to Moscow, sources told The Hill.

The racketeering scheme was conducted ”with the consent of higher level officials" in Russia who ”shared the proceeds" from the kickbacks, one agent declared in an affidavit years later.

Rather than bring immediate charges in 2010, however, the Department of Justice (DOJ) continued investigating the matter for nearly four more years, essentially leaving the American public and Congress in the dark about Russian nuclear corruption on U.S. soil during a period when the Obama administration made two major decisions benefiting Putin's commercial nuclear ambitions.

The first decision occurred in October 2010, when the State Department and government agencies on the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States unanimously approved the partial sale of Canadian mining company Uranium One to the Russian nuclear giant Rosatom, giving Moscow control of more than 20 percent of America's uranium supply.

Again, I could be wrong, but I am fairly sure that was almost all new information, (EDIT) plus that fact that the Obama administration was not made aware of the investigation. And at the moment it actually sounds like a fairly big deal.

kamspy

Where was the help for both sides though? Like if the pee tape had dropped during the election then you'd have a point.

By that measure you could say where was this story during the election. I don't think it matters who the president is. I don't think anyone can turn down that wealth like that.

The Clinton Foundation stuff, at least, is pretty old and rooted in the Clinton Cash book - here's an article from 2015 about the allegations. It was an attack used against her both during the primary and the general election, usually alongside claims that the deal represented direct quid pro quo on her part.

The terrible truth is that after the fall of the Berlin wall and the US decided that doing business with the new Russia was now ok everyone dipped in with the blessing of administrations under the aura of patriotic capitalism but as we see now their version of a democracy did not pan out at all like America's and it was too late to pull back. Americans of all types are heavily vested in Russian money and so they are all culprits too. Capitalism didn't destroy Russia it mearly transformed it into a beast that rivals the greediest periods of American unabashed capitalism of the past. Russia has us by the purse.

GrapeApes

By that measure you could say where was this story during the election. I don't think it matters who the president is. I don't think anyone can turn down that wealth like that.
Trump brought up this deal a lot. The only new information seems to be the corrupting of US officials wasn't made known before this deal went through. Any money on both sides take just ignores what we all saw in 2016.

DiscoJer

It sounds like the FBI really needs some sort of watchdog over it, informing the other branches of government of what it's currently investigating and what it has found.

I mean, you don't want said watchdog meddling in investigations, but keeping Congress and the President informed seems like should be done.

Isn't it either incompetence or complicity? Which one is 'better'?

How is Mueller either of those? The FBI was apparently investigating and uncovering things, and the Hill piece says

Rather than bring immediate charges in 2010, however, the Department of Justice (DOJ) continued investigating the matter for nearly four more years, essentially leaving the American public and Congress in the dark about Russian nuclear corruption on U.S. soil during a period when the Obama administration made two major decisions benefiting Putin's commercial nuclear ambitions.

If the DoJ continued investigating, what was Mueller supposed to do?

qcf x2

I'm not surprised at all. I am honestly more surprised that that site redirected to a page that tried to give me a virus.

kamspy

How is Mueller either of those? The FBI was apparently investigating and uncovering things, and the Hill piece says

If the DoJ continued investigating, what was Mueller supposed to do?

Will enough people feel like the DoJ was earnestly investigating it? The spin now is they were suppressing it. It seems like the evidence Mueller had was damning enough to do something. You could say he was incompetent in convincing the DoJ to make a move.

Why didn’t the DoJ inform the Obama administration that they were investigating such a thing? Even if Russia was somehow in the clear at the end of it, it still seems like something they should’ve known about.

L Thammy

giphy.gif

history will have to rewrite who won the Cold War. Russians in it for the long game.

Cold War has to end first.

Nikodemos

Y'know, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that it was Obama himself who asked that the deal be let to go forwards. It would fit with the whole 'reset' approach he was attempting at the time. Plus, he probably thought it easier to wiretap them on US soil.

Will enough people feel like the DoJ was earnestly investigating it? The spin now is they were suppressing it. It seems like the evidence Mueller had was damning enough to do something. You could say he was incompetent in convincing the DoJ to make a move.

I mean you *could* say that, but it doesn't really make sense. Even if you think there was a cover-up/something nefarious at play, it makes far more sense to look at the DoJ unless you're already predisposed to blame him (or are actively looking to do so). There's nothing in the story to suggest he was "incompetent in convincing the DoJ to make a move" or anything close to it.

Espionage is a two way street. But it does kind of make sense with the reset they wanted with Russia. Mitt Romney was right when he said the greater geopolitical foe is still Russia and the admin and people laughed. Instead they annexed Crimea, also basically helped Assad maintain power in Syria even after he slaughtered his own citizens and used chrmical weapons, influenced the 2016 US elections etc. Crazy how Russia was able to pull all of this off with little to no one caring until it was too late.

Crazy to think that Obama just brushed that aside in debates with what's happened.

kamspy

I mean you *could* say that, but it doesn't really make sense. Even if you think there was a cover-up/something nefarious at play, it makes far more sense to look at the DoJ unless you're already predisposed to blame him (or are actively looking to do so).

It might seem crass but I follow this stuff with the same interest I follow a good TV show with. I get into it and like gossiping about what might happen next, but I don't really believe it much. Everything I know about politics I learned from Hideo Kojima and Doug Stanhope. :(

I just want to see the biggest shit show I can. I'm sorry. So yeah, I'm rooting for Mueller to have some dirt on him. This could be the mid-season finale for me. Giant plot twist. Near HBO quality.

Crazy to think that Obama just brushed that aside in debates with what's happened.

I think history is going to be really critical of Obama on Russia. It is a travesty that the Obama administration knew what Russia was trying as early as 2015 and yet he chose not to respond with appropriate force because he was more concerned with not appearing political during the election. Now we have an administration who thinks the whole thing is "fake news". The Russians are not going to stop and I fear that this is just going to get much worse.

Zyae

Espionage is a two way street. But it does kind of make sense with the reset they wanted with Russia. Mitt Romney was right when he said the greater geopolitical foe is still Russia and the admin and people laughed. Instead they annexed Crimea, also basically helped Assad maintain power in Syria even after he slaughtered his own citizens and used chrmical weapons, influenced the 2016 US elections etc. Crazy how Russia was able to pull all of this off with little to no one caring until it was too late.

Romney was not right at the time he said it. That was simply the GOPs foreign policy angle since the 2008 election. McCain and especially Palin ran on that line. They didnt have any inside information.

MORTALIS

Before this I had never heard the uranium deal called Uranium One. Guess I've been under a rock.

So now it's coming out that Russian subsidiaries were selling uranium back to the US? You can't make this stuff up.

Some trust fund prosecutor, got off-message at Yale thinks he's gonna run this up the flagpole? Make a name for himself? Maybe get elected some two-bit congressman from nowhere, with the result that Russia or China can suddenly start having, at our expense, all the advantages we enjoy here? No, I tell you. No, sir! Corruption charges! Corruption? Corruption is government intrusion into market efficiencies in the form of regulations. That's Milton Friedman. He got a goddamn Nobel Prize. We have laws against it precisely so we can get away with it. Corruption is our protection. Corruption keeps us safe and warm. Corruption is why you and I are prancing around in here instead of fighting over scraps of meat out in the streets. Corruption is why we win.

antonz

Romney was not right at the time he said it. That was simply the GOPs foreign policy angle since the 2008 election. McCain and especially Palin ran on that line. They didnt have any inside information.

That is completely ignoring the fact Putin has been in power long enough that yes Romney was right. Russia and its intentions have been well know for many years. Obama fell into the same trap Bush Jr. did thinking they could maybe turn the ship around and find common ground. I mean this story goes back right to that time period you are downplaying.

There is NO common ground with Vladimir Putin Russia. The US and the rest of the west are the enemy and will remain the enemy. As far as geopolitics go there is Russian worldview and that runs completely counter to US worldview.

Saturnman

Banned
lol

Thread limps at 2 pages and drops quickly from the front page. I'm pretty sure the thread would have been a lot hotter if Trump or his allies were implicated.

I guess we are even lucky the thread was created at all.

sflufan

Banned
Lawyer for FBI informant claims that he was "blocked" by the Obama DoJ from testifying in front of Congress about conversations and transactions he witnessed related to the Russian nuclear industry's efforts to win favor with Bill and Hillary Clinton and influence Obama administration decisions.

http://thehill.com/policy/national-...ed-from-telling-congress-about-russia-nuclear

At this point, I really believe this informant needs to testify under oath before the House/Senate Intelligence Committees.

Lawyer for FBI informant claims that he was "blocked" by the Obama DoJ from testifying in front of Congress about conversations and transactions he witnessed related to the Russian nuclear industry's efforts to win favor with Bill and Hillary Clinton and influence Obama administration decisions.

http://thehill.com/policy/national-...ed-from-telling-congress-about-russia-nuclear

At this point, I really believe this informant needs to testify under oath before the House/Senate Intelligence Committees.

This story is starting to blow up. I don't think anyone can ever accuse The Hill of being right wing conspiracy theorists. This is starting to illustrate that Putin has gotten his claws dug deep into multiple administrations. Russian won the second Cold War and we never even realized it was happening. JFK and Ronald Reagan are turning over in their graves.

gcubed

lol

Thread limps at 2 pages and drops quickly from the front page. I'm pretty sure the thread would have been a lot hotter if Trump or his allies were implicated.

I guess we are even lucky the thread was created at all.

Not saying this is good, but usually you know, current events gets more air time.

But keep up your poor persecution complex because you support a disgusting racist asshole, that's surely a winner for you in your life

Saturnman

Banned
Not saying this is good, but usually you know, current events gets more air time.

But keep up your poor persecution complex because you support a disgusting racist asshole, that's surely a winner for you in your life

Russian collusion is old news too. No need to bring it up anymore. Even if investigation of old news ends up "in the news."

Not a persecution complex, just pointing out the double standard. Just like you could point out the lack of interest in Trump-related Russian probes in right-wing circles ("nothingburgers"). More like calling out partisan BS wherever it is.

Nice try though, I guess it was worth a shot.

PJV3

It's going to be Interesting to see if there's anything to this story for a change, it's virtually an industry in the US trying to pin something on the Clinton family.

theWB27

Russian collusion is old news too. No need to bring it up anymore. Even if investigation of old news ends up "in the news."

Not a persecution complex, just pointing out the double standard. Just like you could point out the lack of interest in Trump-related Russian probes in right-wing circles ("nothingburgers"). More like calling out partisan BS wherever it is.

Nice try though, I guess it was worth a shot.

None of these threads have been blowing up lately. Even stuff against Trump...they've all limped along. Hell...Sessions is testifying right now and there isn't even a thread for it.

chadskin

This story is starting to blow up. I don't think anyone can ever accuse The Hill of being right wing conspiracy theorists. This is starting to illustrate that Putin has gotten his claws dug deep into multiple administrations. Russian won the second Cold War and we never even realized it was happening. JFK and Ronald Reagan are turning over in their graves.

John Solomon is a former journalist at The Washington Times and Circa News.

Solomon, who previously held top roles at the right-leaning Washington Times, and Sara Carter, Circa’s national security correspondent, frequently co-byline politics stories — “Russia, unmasking probes expand to Obama aide Samantha Power“; “Declassified memos show FBI illegally shared spy data on Americans with private parties,” “White House logs indicate Susan Rice consumed unmasked intel on Trump associates,” “Obama’s rule changes opened door for NSA intercepts of Americans to reach political hands,” “The FBI investigated a Trump server in its Russia probe, but no charges are expected” — and appear on Sean Hannity’s show to discuss them. By my count, Carter appeared on Hannity 11 times in March, six times in April, five times in May, and 12 times in June. (Hannity in March: “Sara Carter has been breaking incredible news over at CircaNews.com. She’s going to weigh in on these deep state actors working to take down the Trump administration. Sara’s excellent reporting has uncovered no evidence, none, in spite of what NBC and CNN tell you every day, between President Trump and the Russians. She will join us exclusively next.”) Solomon appeared on the show with her four times in June and four in May.
http://www.niemanlab.org/2017/07/in...ependent-minded-millennials-and-sean-hannity/

He joined The Hill in July of this year and wrote pieces like "Comey’s private memos on Trump conversations contained classified material" and "Exclusive: DOJ let Russian lawyer into US before she met with Trump team" that are often inaccurate or misleading.

It's no surprise to me that Chuck Grassley would immediately jump on the opportunity to deflect from the Russia probe.

Saturnman

Banned
None of these threads have been blowing up lately. Even stuff against Trump...they've all limped along. Hell...Sessions is testifying right now and there isn't even a thread for it.

There is little to report in testimonies behind closed doors. No real leaks of anything explosive Priebus or Spicer said. Just an investigation progressing but no real meat (yet).

Top Bottom