• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FCC wireless chip filing makes me think Sony will announce new Vita hardware

ajim

OP:

Gladiator_Thumb_Down_01.gif

The only way I'd ever jump onto a Vita revision if it's a phone that supports Android

Call it Xperia PS
720p screen
Great camera
5 inch screen
Large battery life
Slide out buttons similar to Xperia Play
Vita games compatible
PSP games compatible
PS1 games compatible
Full android OS
Google Play Store

I think you are in a very small minority that will find such a compromised product desirable.

kubus

Ok I'm at work so took a quick peek, but the Japanse source link says something like:

"Sony has requested two wireless modules at FCC. The model numbers are AW-CB262 and J20H091. The first one is identical to the wireless module used in the PS4, while the second is identical to the one used by the PS Vita. Could the Vita also be getting an upgrade?"

Please note this is a really crude translation and I have no technical knowledge about this whatsoever... But that's basically what it says.

Edit: Nope, probably nothing.

Vague hope that this means a Vita 1.5 release, with modestly updated specs, support for current middleware and a low price. Aimed at Japan and a niche western audience. I'd buy it at least.

Petrae

Pooping out another Vita would be evidence that Sony is so flush with cash that it doesn't mind throwing a few million bucks into an incinerator to watch it burn.

I hope, for Sony's sake, that this rumor doesn't verify.

Ok I'm at work so took a quick peek, but the Japanse source link says something like:

"Sony has requested two wireless modules at FCC. The module numbers are AW-CB262 and J20H091. The first one is identical to the wireless module used in the PS4, while the second is identical to the one used by the PS Vita. Could the Vita also be getting an upgrade?"

Please note this is a really crude translation and I have no technical knowledge about this whatsoever... But that's basically what it says.

Oh snap

so a model number distinction pointing to a possible Vita revision then?

There is your Link guys

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

"Sony has requested two wireless modules at FCC. The module numbers are AW-CB262 and J20H091. The first one is identical to the wireless module used in the PS4, while the second is identical to the one used by the PS Vita. Could the Vita also be getting an upgrade?"

Thanks for this.

From this to Playstation meeting and Trinity it's a huge jump and OP should be ashamed of himself.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
This is my actual day one.

#VitaMasterRace

Any information on a power boost? I absolutely adore the Vita and the cancelled ports of recent due to lack of power currently stink.

Yes please. Day fucking one.

Vita is the best handheld ever made.

Not surprised, really. They can't possibly let Nintendo swap up the entire portable gaming segment now, can they?

The thing is, the "entire portable gaming segment" is typically considered to contain mobile phones for some reason.And otherwise, yeah, Nintendo got everything but the stuff that is only on Vita due to weird characteristics of Japanese devs, and some rare indie ports.

There isn't much reason to launch "PSP3" but honor (yes, Vita is "PSP2", see GBC>GBA compared to GBA>DS), Sony can launch a new portable device but it would have to be heavily rethought.

If the module numbers from the source link are both being upgraded then yeah

We are looking at a possible Vita revision with 5Ghz wifi

Falk

that puzzling face
I guess it makes sense. There wasn't enough casual confusion between PSVITA, PSTV and PSVR just yet. Let's have a PSVT

Eolz

That's a fun thread.
They obviously didn't talk about vita for the past year because they were waiting for this revision.

Carn82

If it's a 5ghz wifi vita and if they dump the memorycards (or at least build 32 or 64gbs of memory) ... pls Sony

MuchoMalo

Banned
Yesterday, someone said to me that Nintendo making a new console in addition to NX was about as likely as Sony releasing a PS Vita 2.

Well then

It'll be interesting to see whether this or NX is more powerful if this is true and the Tegra rumors are true.

Thanks for this.

From this to Playstation meeting and Trinity it's a huge jump and OP should be ashamed of himself.

Sure but who says they are going to stop with just upgrading the wifi in the Vita revision

Could be a more susbstantial upgrade and would fit with the Neo strategy

Top Bottom