• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear Effect: Sedna |KS| Isometric, Real-time Tactical 'Revival', €100k goal

But I like the game for its design and mechanics as much or more than the story. So I wouldn't play this as its not the type of game design I like. Also feels like half the new indie games go this route.

8ts like announcing a new Dino crisis in this design... Why bother.

Maybe can be good? But the view kills it for me. Just isn't the same at all.

I'm sure they will meet thier goal but would have done betteron KS with a game similar to the others

ArjanN

But I like the game for its design and mechanics as much or more than the story. So I wouldn't play this as its not the type of game design I like. Also feels like half the new indie games go this route.

8ts like announcing a new Dino crisis in this design... Why bother.

Maybe can be good? But the view kills it for me. Just isn't the same at all.

I'm sure they will meet thier goal but would have done betteron KS with a game similar to the others

I feel Dino Crisis could work with an isometric view. Honestly Dino Crisis 2 already was just a straight up action game really. I mean it had a combo counter on screen. :p

Yeah there'd probably be a bigger audience if it was a Resident Evil style Survival Horror game, but they'd probably also need at least a couple of million to make it.

It definitely shouldn't be the only reason to back a game. It's just an unfortunate truth.

If you don't want it at all, you don't want it. Just vote with your wallet.

Once again, agreed.

Why...is this a Fear Effect game?

We took it out of Hong Kong..and it's no longer a survival horror/ adventure game..oh..kay?

I really liked the first 2, (with or without the titillation that was thrown into the second one) but yeah, this just seems, weird. Bring back an old IP just for it to have none of the same story beats or gameplay? Odd.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Why...is this a Fear Effect game?

We took it out of Hong Kong..and it's no longer a survival horror/ adventure game..oh..kay?

I really liked the first 2, (with or without the titillation that was thrown into the second one) but yeah, this just seems, weird. Bring back an old IP just for it to have none of the same story beats or gameplay? Odd.

This is a question I have as well and I find it fortuitous that I will be able to ask such questions in a timely manner.

SeanTSC

i'd back it if they could guarantee a PS4 release if they meet their goal. but sadly its a stretch goal, so i'll just wait for a potential release later.

Yeah, I'd back right now if a PS4 release were a done deal. I guess I'll keep an eye on it and see if they're going to hit that goal.

EYEL1NER

I just received an email for this and was like "Whaaaaa-?!"
I went and checked it out and I have to say that I am disappointed that this is what the Fear Effect IP has turned into. I was also bummed when I saw how much had been contributed so far; I mean, I know that the IP isn't a HUGE deal but I would have hoped that Fear Effect had more interest and would have had a rush of backers.
I'll keep an eye on it but I would want a physical PS4 copy if I was backing, so we'll see.

Honestly, this is just a tripwire to see if the public even cares about the IP anymore. It's been 15 years since the last game, which was more known for it's racy ads then any love for the game by the public.

Square isn't going to risk millions on it without at least some proof of public interest, which is what this is. It's to fear effect what the Lara Croft games are to tomb raider.

I've gone back and watched a lets play of the first one (though I do own it) and well, it wasn't exactly that stellar all around, though it had interesting ideas. It was very trial and error, quite short, and disappointing in many areas (like boss fights).

But I still love the characters, and I think that this game could still do some very interesting things with them, and build awareness for a higher profile, and higher budget, main line entry, if it does well.

TriAceJP

Odd changes, but I absolutely adore the original games and it's great to see the IP being used.

As long as they make a good game, I am happy. Plus, who knows? Maybe a game after this with more traditional Fear Effect game play.

I'm in for the $40.

Lain

I imagined posting the FAQs answers they have up might be useful:
Is Sedna the 3rd Fear Effect?

No. The 3rd Fear Effect was called Inferno, and even if it wasn’t released, it exists & created a story that we respected for creating a consistent scenario for Sedna. Our own story will take place 6 years after the first Fear Effect Episode. Sedna is a sequel to Fear Effect.
There is no need to know the story of Inferno to play Sedna, of course!

What’s the relationship between Hana & Rain?

Hana is now free from the Triad, and Rain still follow her closely. They live & work together in Hong Kong, as mercenaries. And still in love, of course.

We saw that that some of you thought that we would avoid to make any reference to their relationship in the game. That’s not our intention: for us, Hana & Rain are in relationship, and there is no doubt about this!
The only thing that we will be careful about is not to over-sexualise this love relationship, that has been probably clumsily highlighted in some marketing campaigns in Fear Effect Retro Helix, and wasn’t doing justice to these two strong characters’ love affair.

Is Hana still the main protagonist of Fear Effect Sedna?

Yes indeed! In Fear Effect Sedna, you’ll have the opportunity to know a bit more about Hana’s past.
But you’ll also discover things on many other characters, such as Glas. And meet new ones, like Axel, the new member of the team.

But this you’ll discover soon...

What’s the story of Sedna about?

Things have changed for the team. Hana, freed from the Triad, lives with Rain in Hong Kong and works as an occasional mercenary, while Deke has grown apart from them since Glas returned to the US.

Hana accepts a small mission for a shadowy organization asking for her services. Her target: a mysterious ancient statuette held by the ambassador of China in France. She sees it as a good opportunity to visit her birthplace... But this 'easy' mission is about to lead Hana to something bigger than expected, while Glas is approached by a client who catches his attention and piques his interest, enough that Glas sets out for Greenland.

Axel, a mysterious French secret agent in charge of watching and spying the Chinese ambassador in France. The confrontation against Hana is inevitable, as he stands in her way, but destiny will force them to cooperate. Together they set out on a journey to the North Pole where they face Inuit folklore & legends… for real.

Can you tell more about the characters?

Hana is now free from the Triad, but continues to take assignments for them as a mercenary. She lives and works in Hong Kong, with Rain. She turned 30 this year, but sometimes feels older.
When the Triad tasks her with completing a mission in Paris, she sees it as an opportunity to learn more about her birthplace, while stealing a little something from the Chinese ambassador - an easy job. Or so it seems.

Rain still follow Hana closely. She hasn’t learned a great deal about herself in the past four years, and although she doesn’t speak much about this (even to Hana), she's feeling more and more uncomfortable about her own situation.

After their last mission together, Glas decided to return to the US, but his guilt grows day by day. He does a few small jobs but tends not to finish anything, and feels increasingly disenfranchised from society. Full of regrets, he has lost his direction. And hope.
Then, one night he meets a stranger who leaves behind a clue - an Inuit artefact - one connected to what has been troubling Glas for years. Unable to escape what appears to be his destiny, Glas journeys to the North Pole to investigate.

In Hong Kong, Deke is bored stiff - and that’s never a good thing. He's been working on and off as a mercenary but gets no satisfaction in working alone.
Since Glas left, he found he couldn’t get on as well with Hana and Rain, so he let them drift apart.
Nostalgic for the good days. Which were always full of chaos. And bloodshed. Deke yearns for both.

A member of the French secret service for the past four years, Axel is on duty at the DGSI. His official mission: to protect the ambassador of China in France. Axel's real mission? To spy on the ambassador and find out if the French secret service's art trafficking suspicions about him are true.
Trying to 'protect' Hana’s target is going to be a tough job - and their meeting promises to be explosive...

Why the Inuit mythology?

Inuit mythology isn’t exactly the one you could have studied at school - even though the numerous stories surely could arouse interest of a lot of pupils.

The inuit mythology is inspired by a hard life in a wild world, full of dark, violent situations, strong spirits & figures… it’s all about surviving & being strong, and that totally fits to Fear Effect.
It’s a rich but little-known culture we wanted to explore, and we’re pretty sure you’ll dive in these stories with great pleasure...

Lime

As someone who is very much tied with the colonial past of Greenland and Inuit culture, I hope that they do justice to the culture and communities still living under post-colonial ramifications of Denmark. It is a sore spot for me and my country and I am curious about the motivations the developers have for using that culture for their product.

Lime

Looks like this'll make the budget and not much more.

I think it depends on what they have in store for reveals, but maybe. Regardless, it's a really low goal I think for a project with these many employees. I wonder if they're getting funding from elsewhere?

Johnjamin

Neo Member
I think it depends on what they have in store for reveals, but maybe. Regardless, it's a really low goal I think for a project with these many employees. I wonder if they're getting funding from elsewhere?

It's probably that low a goal to see if there's a market for it without investing too much, the rest is probably coming from squeenix/outside investment, providing they reach the goal.

Hesh

Tough decision. I don't like the gameplay or story elements of this game (the art is fantastic, though), but its success kind of leaves the door ajar for a potential true Fear Effect sequel or remaster in the future since it would "prove" interest in the IP to SquareEnix. On the other hand, paying for something I don't necessarily want in hopes of supporting a future for what I actually want has burned me in the past. I think I'm going to pass on this Kickstarter, and if it succeeds then I'll pick the game up at retail later down the road.

Dali

What made fear effect unique:

Awesome CG fmv backgrounds
3d cellshaded graphics
Fmv quickly interspersed with the action
Kinda interesting story

Will this have any of those or a reasonable replacement? I see the original writer is on board but that's just 1 out of 4 and honestly the look was the biggest draw.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

They are probably getting some additional funding from the Square Enix Collective.

SlyRebirth

Square Enix Collective
They are probably getting some additional funding from the Square Enix Collective.

They're also investing their own funds, so the Kickstarter is designed to complete the budget (and in the case of stretch goals enable additional content, features, etc).

I would have preferred it to be more similar to the originals as those sorts of games don't really get made any more, but this looks cool as well.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I wasn't aware that the SE Collective did that. I thought the whole point was that everything was a win-win for SE - they don't invest any money, but if a project is a success, they get royalties.

This is a bit of a different case though since we have an actual Square Enix IP on the line here. Though this is why I use the word probably as I will not be able to confirm this for a few weeks.

SlyRebirth

Square Enix Collective
I wasn't aware that the SE Collective did that. I thought the whole point was that everything was a win-win for SE - they don't invest any money, but if a project is a success, they get royalties.

For all projects we publish, we invest into marketing, QA and a range of other little things (age ratings, store page localisation, etc).

For a small number of projects, we may also invest some funds into production - as well as supporting with the marketing later on.

For Fear Effect Sedna, the budget is expected to be made up of a combination of Sushee's own funds and the Kickstarter funds. Collective will then publish later on (and invest into marketing as above).

SlyRebirth

Square Enix Collective
Just on the whole 'sexual content' thing. Seems like there's a bit of misunderstanding in the assumption that there's 'no sexual content' or 'no relationship' stuff in the game.

That's not the point the Sushee team were making - just that they didn't want to sell the game based on the sexuality.

So the game will not avoid the content or subject matter, but there's no intention to over-glamourise it for the sake of marketing HYPE.

cj_iwakura

What about Inferno's plot elements? Any incorporation of those? And which ending is this building from? FE2 was a prequel for good reason.
I get that they probably don't have the budget for it, but to me Fear Effect was always about being a cinematic game. A more refined Dragon's Lair, with a mix of Big Trouble in Little China, La Femme Nikita, and cheesy lesbian eroticism as a hook. This looks like they're trying to make a game with actual gameplay and pretending that anyone took the characters and "lore" seriously.
I did. Its not nice to generalize.

Lime

Just on the whole 'sexual content' thing. Seems like there's a bit of misunderstanding in the assumption that there's 'no sexual content' or 'no relationship' stuff in the game.

That's not the point the Sushee team were making - just that they didn't want to sell the game based on the sexuality.

So the game will not avoid the content or subject matter, but there's no intention to over-glamourise it for the sake of marketing HYPE.

Yes, clearly Sushee is still using sexualization in their art and concept pitch, there's no doubt about that. Plenty of cleavage windows to go around - hell, there's even a gratuitious backrubbing gif for the people into this.

I don't think there should be any doubt that sexualization is still part of the product, based on the character design, art, and KS page.

SlyRebirth

Square Enix Collective
Those are some pretty crappy tiers...

For future reference, what kind of stuff do you like to see in KS tiers? Personally I'm normally in at T-shirt level, but not all KS campaigns offer those. Plus, developers end up spending more and more money on manufacturing and shipping, and less on development, so they tend to go for more digital stuff these days.

But keen to hear people's thoughts.

cj_iwakura

For future reference, what kind of stuff do you like to see in KS tiers? Personally I'm normally in at T-shirt level, but not all KS campaigns offer those. Plus, developers end up spending more and more money on manufacturing and shipping, and less on development, so they tend to go for more digital stuff these days.

But keen to hear people's thoughts.
Well for $35, Shadowrun offered the novellas, which were great. There's a pretty big disparity in pricing. There's also no physical game tier, unless I missed it.

Here it's $20 more for costumes and $40 more for digital OST and artbook. Ick.

Kyari

This feels kind of cash-grabby, honestly?
The game being pitched as mechanically unrelated to the previous games, the neck rub gif is a really dumb throwback to the awful ads from the 90s for the first game, and €100,000 is uh ... SUSPICIOUSLY low an amount of money to want for a studio to make a game in Paris, France, that isn't intended to release for over a year.

For all projects we publish, we invest into marketing, QA and a range of other little things (age ratings, store page localisation, etc).

For a small number of projects, we may also invest some funds into production - as well as supporting with the marketing later on.

Ah, thanks for the info. Let us know if the Collective ever decides to put up any of SE's JRPG IPs up. :)

cj_iwakura

The game being pitched as mechanically unrelated to the previous games, the neck rub gif is a really dumb throwback to the awful ads from the 90s for the first game, and €100,000 is uh ... SUSPICIOUSLY low an amount of money to want for a studio to make a game in Paris, France, that isn't intended to release for over a year.
You're thinking of the second game. The first game was pretty much advertised straight. And boy was it twisted.

Kickstarter is up to about 30% after 1 day which is a pretty good place to be. Shouldn't have any trouble reaching the base goal so it's just a matter of how hard they want to push stretch goals now.

Would Anachononox count?

Anachronox is sort of a mix between a point & click adventure game and a JRPG. I don't think it would be a good idea to revive it without the original dev though and I don't think there's really enough demand to make it worth the effort.

SlyRebirth

Square Enix Collective

The team isn't based in Paris, but in a town called Lanion. Not nearly as expensive... but you're right in that EUR 100,000 isn't the whole budget. The team will be investing their own funds as well.

What I would say is that, the budget is bigger than EUR 100k, but still at least an order of magnitude lower than what it would cost to make a fully 3D game that had the visual impact the originals had.

The point about opening up old IP for devs to use isn't that they try to replicate the style or delivery of the older games; but to explore new stories and sometimes in new setting or new ways.

Totally get it that for fans of the classic FE games, something more like Shadowrun with an isometric view isn't going to rock your world. But I don't think it follows that therefore it can't be a real FE game, or be a good game at all.

If FES is successful, who knows what may happen with the IP in the future? There's the potential for more games if so. On the other hand, if it's not, I'm not sure why anybody would consider even a smaller FE game viable in terms of risk/reward.

I'm not saying that to frighten people into backing this Kickstarter btw; you should only do that if you believe in and want the game. It's just a logic that decisions are made on.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kickstarter is up to about 30% after 1 day which is a pretty good place to be. Shouldn't have any trouble reaching the base goal so it's just a matter of how hard they want to push stretch goals now.

Anachronox is sort of a mix between a point & click adventure game and a JRPG. I don't think it would be a good idea to revive it without the original dev though and I don't think there's really enough demand to make it worth the effort.

On the other hand, as close as things are going to get given the current situation.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
If the Fear Effect project goes well, we'll certainly consider opening up more IP - but this is only likely to be taken from the Western back-catalogue I'm afraid!

Ah yes, question, where would Secret of Evermore fall on that scale? I know isn't Edios but Squaresoft proper but still western developed.

Krafter

Totally, 100% in. Not sure at which tier yet, but I love the franchise enough to make this a must play. After Sedna, grab the code and KS an Inferno release.

Top Bottom