• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear Effect: Sedna |KS| Isometric, Real-time Tactical 'Revival', €100k goal

Lime

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sushee/fear-effect-sedna

• New environments in isometric view: Explore the deep caves of Greenland, abandoned scientific complexes, underwater stations and ethereal realms based on Inuit mythology.
  • A real-time tactical action game: Exploit your heroes special abilities, and combine them to maximize your team's effectiveness in attacks.
  • A deep and mature story: Learn more about Fear Effect's iconic characters' past as they delve into this new mystery.
  • Explore a whole new culture: Myths from the Inuit people are imbued with power of the elements and the cold sea. Meet and fight unexpected creatures from the spirit realm!

Stretch goals:
    Hoxi52S.jpg

Gameplay:
Exploration

Even though the gameplay of Fear Effect Sedna will be very different from the first episodes, exploration will remain an important part of the game. Treacherous angles will still be part of the experience: each character has a limited field of view, and you will only see a portion of the environment at a given time. You will have to trust your eyes, but also your ears, and react quickly to avoid being surprised!

Action

Fights will occur very often in the game. Up to 5 characters will fight various enemies in real-time. But the events will inevitably split the team sometimes, changing the whole strategies depending on who you command at a given time. Strategy, positioning and understanding the strengths and weaknesses of each character will be essential. But don’t worry: you’ll be able to pause the game whenever you want to plan your next move(s). Choose wisely...

Puzzles

Puzzles are an important part of the Fear Effect series. Fear Effect Sedna will be no exception! You will sometimes need to unlock a door, disarm a trap, and to do so, you will encounter various puzzles mixing modern components such as hacking, electric wiring, but also more mysterious brain-teasers involving symbols and Inuit carvings.

Fear Effect

The atmosphere will play a crucial part in the feeling of insecurity, but that’s not all. We wanted to materialize the stress accumulated by the characters, and make it influence the gameplay.

Every character will see their Fear Effect increase or decrease by undertaking certain actions. Most of the skills can be used under certain Fear Effect conditions, so keep an eye on the gauge!

Mission mode

If you love the fights in Fear Effect Sedna, this mode is for you! You’ll have to engage in combat against various opponents, aside from the story, to unlock bonuses like outfits, new weapons, and more!

The question everyone is asking:
Why the isometric view?

The original Fear Effect games focused on harrowing camera angles and the feeling of loneliness to create a nerve-racking atmosphere. But the story, the characters and their relationships are a huge part of what made the game such a classic. Fulfilling a mission together, they will interact a lot, and not only during cinematic cutscenes, but also while you play.

The second point that made us choose tactical view and combat is that we wanted them not only to interact verbally, but also act together. We wanted to see Rain being proud of Hana actually change the way she fights. We wanted to see Deke’s thirst for blood change the way the others react. We wanted to show how Glas trying to hold a door, while the others get prepared for the incoming assault, makes them all nervous and confident at the same time.

Considering all this, we opted for the isometric view, allowing to see every character any time; and the tactical approach, though in real time, allowing us to create situations and reactions to the protagonists’ behavior.

Full resolution artwork from the artist him-/herself:

http://turningpointweb.com/fesedna/

The developers:
Hi! We are Sushee. Nice to meet you! We’re an indie studio, based in France - a small team full of a range of talented people. We have a lot of experience in game development, and created games for a lot of well-know companies.

Two years ago, we decided to make our own games, and developed Goetia, a point-and-click adventure. Thanks to a successful Kickstarter campaign and with the support of Square Enix Collective, Goetia will be released in mid-April. We’re now working full-time on Fear Effect Sedna - but have many other ideas & projects…

Rewards:
2528957dfe8cd5024f0dfa9adn.jpg

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Backed for physical right now. Slightly apprehensive about the gameplay changes, but having the original writer as a consultant is comforting. And the art style looks great.

Lain

Went in at 15€ since it's early bird, might change to a physical one later if the updates show music or art that might want me to own a physical book/CD, though at 150€ for a physical CD and an artbook it feels a bit hefty. Anyways, 31 days to decide.

Only played the first game which was like Resident Evil with more puzzles mixed with a more occult version of Ghost in the Shell. Very impressive tech at the time (one of the earliest cel-shaded games and a ton of FMV while still being able to interact). Lots of trial and error "do this sequence exactly the way we want or you instantly die moments" a la Dragon's Lair.

Shadowrun is a good series to copy in general, but I'm not sure if the Fear Effect fanbase is going to be too interested in a sequel in a completely different genre.

Jawmuncher

Let's be fair we know why it's isometric. The team isn't very big and for them to make a game in the old style would be a huge undertaking. Regardless id rather some FE than none.

Looks promising! I'm in for £12

Even tough I still never get any game of the kickstarters I put money in:

-Sui generis :they release a demo, it's something I guess
-Mighty n9 - still waiting.
-Koe - still waiting.

Eeew. Bad move with the gameplay change.
Although asking for another shooter would be bad too.

Maybe an adventure-type game experience would've worked with the Fear Effect setting.

KORNdoggy

i'd back it if they could guarantee a PS4 release if they meet their goal. but sadly its a stretch goal, so i'll just wait for a potential release later.

kunonabi

Not sure about this one. The new gameplay style, Glas's design, and the eskimo motif aren't really doing it for me. I just get the feeling the whole project is going to be kind of muted compared to where the originals were willing to go. The lack of a PS4 stretch goal at the moment isn't helping matters. I'd be much more interested in a kickstarter for Inferno. I'll keep an eye on it though and see if the studio can change my mind.

Lime

The "15 costumes" reward is a little bit ridiculous and unfortunately unexplained. This means that it'll be DLC or exclusive to backers? I don't even understand why extra costumes would be so special as to be a reward - surely there are other things besides dressing up characters as a reward for backing?

Lain

The "15 costumes" reward is a little bit ridiculous and unfortunately unexplained. This means that it'll be DLC or exclusive to backers? I don't even understand why extra costumes would be so special as to be a reward - surely there are other things besides dressing up characters as a reward for backing?

Given the wording I'd guess just DLC, not something exclusive to backers.

mao2

The artwork is really nice. Hopefully this campaign will be successful. Square Enix please will put the first 2 games on PS Store!

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I misread the title and thought it said Fear Effect: Sedan.

I was waiting to see some car with a giant sticker ad or weird paint job on it.

It's not the Fear Effect revival I wanted, but looks fun and hopefully it'll do well enough to make a proper sequel more likely.

Really bummed it's so different though. A new Fear Effect has been a dream game of mine for years, and this in no way come close to what I wanted. I'll take it over nothing, but I won't shed a tear if it doesn't hit its goal.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It's not the Fear Effect revival I wanted, but looks fun and hopefully it'll do well enough to make a proper sequel more likely.

Really bummed it's so different though. A new Fear Effect has been a dream game of mine for years, and this in no way come close to what I wanted. I'll take it over nothing, but I won't shed a tear if it doesn't hit its goal.

If it doesn't meet its goal, then there's even less of a chance for a full fledged mainline large budget game down the line.

It's very cool that Square is giving their blessing for projects like these.

Quick! Someone make submit a KS to Konami to make another Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon 😭

ArjanN

Backed.

I really liked the old games, and sure I'd love a new AAA Fear Effect game but I find the the genre switch pretty reasonable given they're a small team with a small budget.

If it doesn't meet its goal, then there's even less of a chance for a full fledged mainline large budget game down the line.

Also this.

Seems to be going at a pretty slow rate thisfar.

Granted, this isn't the game the fans want, but unless it gets made, I don't like the odds of us ever getting a proper third mainline entry.

duckroll

I get that they probably don't have the budget for it, but to me Fear Effect was always about being a cinematic game. A more refined Dragon's Lair, with a mix of Big Trouble in Little China, La Femme Nikita, and cheesy lesbian eroticism as a hook. This looks like they're trying to make a game with actual gameplay and pretending that anyone took the characters and "lore" seriously. Kinda disappointed. Would have preferred some wacky Euro studio to do something funky, trashy, cheesy, and fun with it instead.

K.Sabot

"If I don't back this game I don't want, the game I do want will never get made." is probably one of the worst reasons to back a game on kickstarter.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Man, this is conflicting. I love Fear Effect -- I liked the games back in the day, and I still do today. But this is basically the opposite of what I want from the franchise.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
"If I don't back this game I don't want, the game I do want will never get made." is probably one of the worst reasons to back a game on kickstarter.

It definitely shouldn't be the only reason to back a game. It's just an unfortunate truth.

If you don't want it at all, you don't want it. Just vote with your wallet.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I love Fear Effect, I loved Shadowrun Returns, I never thought to put them together and I am still confused as to why this would occur.

gogogow

Yeah, like those Capcom tests. Not gonna fall for it. I enjoyed the first two when they came out on the PSone, but this just isn't Fear Effect. Maybe they should've asked for more money and make it true to the franchise. Isometric view? Ugh...

So no longer a survival horror style game. :/

It's very cool that Square is giving their blessing for projects like these.

Quick! Someone make submit a KS to Konami to make another Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon ��

Bring Goemon back as an isometric shooter? Sure, why not.
:p

Top Bottom