• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season One - Sundays on AMC

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I thought the son was nailing it personally, he was legit freaked out as you'd expect.

I ended up fast forwarding through sections because it was so boring. At least the trailer for rest of the season looked a bit more interesting

Prediction.

The rest of the episodes won't be as boring. Acting will suck still and people will be stupid for the sake of the plot. Judging by the limited episodes and judging by the season trailer, stuff gets cray fast and a few good eps will come out of the show this season.

At least they better not fuck up The Walking Dead outbreak story. I think the season ends right before the main show premeire so I hope it won't be a teasing of sorts for that. lol

Vagabundo

I really enjoyed the slow pace. The dialogue was better than the Walking Dead and the acting too.

A solid 8 out of 10 for me.

idwl

Oh god that was boring, I was hoping it would get better as the episode went on but it didn't. I'll give it a chance though and see how the next few episodes are.

Just finished watching and it's refreshing compared to the original series. I couldn't unsee Nick as a prequel to pineapple express though, don't know if it's been brought up before. lol

franco-expressx.jpg

yeah, everyone keeps calling him Johnny Depp, but this was all I could think about every time he was on screen

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
the best part is the oh shit everything is fucked part and its just chaos like the opening of the dawn of the dead remake if they can nail that then the season will be great

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Glad they're starting off slow with this.

Definitely. I want the outbreak to be as "real" as possible and for the most part the first episode gave me that feeling. If a zombie apocalypse actually happened you'd probably see videos popping up on social media of unbelievable things and thinking they were fake, until you started seeing them with your own eyes, and by then you're already dead.

MisterHero

I'll be the first to say, "Wait for more episodes!", but man what a boring premiere. More episodes won't help when the same vibes came from the Season 3 and 4 finales of the regular series. A long buildup and anticlimax afterward. Lots of filler and commercials.

It didn't need an hour and a half. But hey, it'll be something to watch until the TWD comes back proper.

Finally got around to watching this today. Um, well, it can only get better. It has the exact same problem as the original series, it's not just bad which can be fun (The Following, The Strain, Tyrant, Gotham) it's dull.

What a waste of Kim Dickens and the rest of the cast. She's one of those "I'd watch her read the phone book" actors to me, and that would be more compelling than this pilot.

Bandit1

What a waste of Kim Dickens and the rest of the cast. She's one of those "I'd watch her read the phone book" actors to me, and that would be more compelling than this pilot.

This is hyperbole right? I'm sure the actors will have had more opportunities to express their characters and acting abilities in the next few episodes as everything really starts to fall apart.

Hamlet

Alright if slow start. Frank Dillane did a good job as the drug addicted son though everyone else felt a tad too nonchalant considering what was happening.
Really nice sense of atmosphere to the episode also.

Christopher

How did anyone not like this? A sense or hint of the outbreaks until the shit hits the fan like the start of things...I highly enjoyed it.

Seeing the park full then empty
Seeing the school full then empty
Seeing the real world function in the walking dead and how it will slowly deteriorate was a good show

woolley

I ended up fast forwarding through sections because it was so boring. At least the trailer for rest of the season looked a bit more interesting
I don't understand why anyone would do something like this. How can you expect to enjoy something if your just going to skip a bunch of parts, everything would be so disjointed and you would miss out on backstory for the characters.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I loved it. But I've borderline hated the main series for a while now for a variety of reasons. I've more or less stopped watching it on a weekly basis and just binge it, as needed, to keep somewhat up-to-date. This was like a breath of fresh air, and I'm excited to see where the series goes.

How did anyone not like this? A sense or hint of the outbreaks until the shit hits the fan like the start of things...I highly enjoyed it.

Seeing the real world function in the walking dead and how it will slowly deteriorate was a good show
Didn't notice that one

People were too busy bitching.

To add to it, the park was full with kids playing then sparse with the missing child poster on the curb. Then the presumed homeless walker dude alone in the park.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The junkie son is already in contention for most annoying person in the history of the Zombie apocalypse -- right up there with Bob, Andrea, and Lori. I pray he meets a similar fate. Dude is Jesse Pinkman without a modicum of charm, humor, or any of those lovable-loser qualities that make you route for the character almost immediately. The sister isn't great, but I don't wish to see her due violently just yet. I'm indifferent towards the Dad, but the Mom is cool, and the only promising character so far.

I'm in, mostly because I enjoy watching the shit hit the societal fan in fiction, but the more I think back on the pilot the less I like it.
I'm with you I found his character really annoying. It was something about the physicality of the actor, it just felt off. Hopefully they have a pretty quick arc for him to either get interesting or dead.

Dalek

The junkie son is already in contention for most annoying person in the history of the Zombie apocalypse -- right up there with Bob, Andrea, and Lori. I pray he meets a similar fate. Dude is Jesse Pinkman without a modicum of charm, humor, or any of those lovable-loser qualities that make you route for the character almost immediately. The sister isn't great, but I don't wish to see her due violently just yet. I'm indifferent towards the Dad, but the Mom is cool, and the only promising character so far.

I'm in, mostly because I enjoy watching the shit hit the societal fan in fiction, but the more I think back on the pilot the less I like it.

I agree with you-I found him insufferable.

I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. They subverted expectations with the character development, and the slow burn towards the breakout.

Christopher

I just hope we don't go into craziness right away l like a bit of normalcy and the slow burn the previews made it seem like we're blowing the load already

Avinexus

Just watched it. The guy they got playing Nick is pretty damn good. Overall I'd say the acting in this is better than TWD, same poor writing though.

Zomba13

I really enjoyed it. I liked that it was slow paced, I liked see more of normal society and how more and more people were off "ill". I liked how people saw the zombies and didn't believe it (son thinking it was the drugs and a bad trip, daughter saying it was faked, mother saying it was just a crack house and bad things always happen there). I liked the ending and the three of them seeing a zombie first hand.

I think if it just started out full of zombies from the start it'd be much more boring. Like if it was just another Rick thing where a guy wakes up after sleeping/coma/drugged up and being in a world already waist deep in zombies.

I do find it funny people hating on the junkie son for not being a lovable druggie and for acting jittery/shaky. Like, he's a junkie. He's not going to be funny and charming and "Science bitch!", he's going to be shook up from seeing a girl eat a man and then come at him, he's going to be shaken up form getting hit by a car, he's going to be shaken up from the drugs.

Doczu

Quite good opening. Had it's highs and lows, but overall good.

I loved the opening scene in the shooting gallery. Waking up, no people, first contact with zombie (while being high) and then the scene outdoor. No people up to the moment that Nick get hit by a car. After that a good shot of people around him, planes, cars and shit. You feel that this world lives.

As already pointed out - the park with less and less children as the episodes rolls, posters with missing people, doctors knowing that shit is getting real with dying patients. The flying choppers, police cars sirens - reminded me of the beginning of the Telltale Walking Dead. Loved it.

I didn't like the scene in the end where they fight off their first walker. How the hell did he end up behind them in the tunnel? that makes no sense at all.

I did stop watching TWD mid season 3, and this got me hooked again. Can't wait for more.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Liked the first episode and can't wait for the 2nd. Hope the keep the extreme family drama out of this series. That totally turned me off from Walking Dead.

JaseMath

Really like the pilot, but the ending was awful acting-wise. The characters had literally the worst reaction(s) I could imagine to seeing a zombie for the first time. It ruined the moment entirely.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Really like the pilot, but the ending was awful acting-wise. The characters had literally the worst reaction(s) I could imagine to seeing a zombie for the first time. It ruined the moment entirely.

They had no idea what they were seeing. They didn't know it was an evil zombie come to eat their brains.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
AMC to make Walking Dead special starring zombies in an airplane

EW has exclusively learned AMC is producing a half-hour special that will tell a stand-alone story following a group of passengers facing a walker attack on an airline while in flight. One character who survives that encounter will then join the cast of Fear the Walking Dead in season 2. So, yes: Zombies on a Plane.

Previously, AMC has had stand-alone The Walking Dead online web series, but the network never used such content to introduce a new character before they joined the show. The airline attack story will debut online, and will unfold this in chapters that will air during Walking Dead’s on-air telecasts. In other words: You’re watching The Walking Dead, AMC cuts to commercial break, then you get a chapter in the as-yet-untitled stand-alone airline attack drama.

This has really been more boring than the lamest episode of "The Walking Dead". It's actually quite the achievement how they managed to avoid almost any zombie encounter throughout the whole pilot.

I mean they went to that abandoned church TWICE and not a single zombie there? Really?

More like "Fear the boredom of the Walking Dead". I get that they are trying to show the slow progress from the early outbreak on, but they could have really done that with a little more action in some way. Just show some other characters get eaten or something.

Really flat characters so far, too. The only good and interesting character/actor was the druggie. Not sure I'll manage to tune in for the 2nd episode :-/

Erm, this is a thread discussing the show and people are discussing it, why shouldn't they? Perhaps you should leave the thread if you're tired about reading peoples opinions? ;-)

You're missing my point. I'm saying if you watch every episode to complain stop watching it.

Timeaisis

That was the most elongated episode of a show I've ever seen. Jesus christ have some plot development holy hell.

And here I was thinking the hour and a half reveal would be this awesome mini TV movie thing like the original TWD did, which was awesome.

Nope, just some boring ass exposition with like one zombie at the end. Sure, it paints a good picture of the "pre-walker" age, but nothing actually fucking happens.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Can someone explain this? Didn't watch the episode and don't know much about the season...I'm guessing it's because the cast is diverse?

The show killed off 2 black people - one was literally just a corpse, the other had a few scenes with another character before dying (he was also a drug dealer).

Top Bottom