• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fear the Walking Dead - Season One - Sundays on AMC

Madison's actress is total garbage and it is a shame she survived. Maybe there is a mental reason they have yet to reveal that explains her lack of emotion.

I thought that was a solid finale. Strand was awesome as expected. I liked Nick's statement at the end. Surprised they offed Liza. Expected they would keep her around longer to milk that two wives angle. Sad the doctor killed herself. Thought she could make a good regular. .

She didn't die.

Rule of thumb, if we aren't shown the body or the act then they didn't die.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
This episode left a bitter taste in my mouth...they off a hispanic lady who could've grown to be a spectacular character for the series...

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
But there is already a show for people who like TWD. It's TWD.

It just seems to me that this will just become TWD season 1 but with a new set of characters. I mean, they could take it somewhere new, could get on the boat and then have a zombie booze cruise. They could get to the boat end up on a nice island and live out the apocalypse without zombies. Or they could basically rehash character arcs found in TWD in a slightly different setting with slightly worse people.

Personally I can't get enough Walking Dead and I'm loving Fear.

EulaCapra

- I knew a lot of Gaffers would take a liking to Strand but when me a couple of gal pals watched the last two episodes, we were all in agreement that he's probably the WORST CHARACTER EVER. We don't know what show the actor thinks he's in, but it's definitely not Fear the Walking Dead. Get this asshole out of this show and into a Dos Equis commercial.
- CG boat with the weirdest shadow. YIKES!
- This group fucking sucks. They lead one of the largest zombie hordes and kill off decent and desperate soldiers.
- On the other hand, I guess no one else was coming for the locked up civilians.
- On the other hand, this leads to the demise of the doctor, 1 of 2 characters I really liked.
- Liza was the only likeable main character I was rooting for. Goddamnit!

Metal B

The show was okay. Still follows the theme of stupid people plus some component ones going on adventures. Until something changes up the plot, it is just a Walking Dead: Team West-Coast.

The series lost his theme of "Pre-Apocalypse" to soon in my opinion and skipped over the interesting parts. Having a police force or the army trying to investigate, contain, keeping it a secret and prevent society of breaking apart would be a much more interesting angle. I would give everything an lovecraftian theme. The party has all those weapon and resources, but it is ultimately the horrors, mentally breakdowns and inexperience of survival in our easy living sociality, which will bring the downfall of mankind.

- I knew a lot of Gaffers would take a liking to Strand but when me a couple of gal pals watched the last two episodes, we were all in agreement that he's probably the WORST CHARACTER EVER. We don't know what show the actor thinks he's in, but it's definitely not Fear the Walking Dead. Get this asshole out of this show and into a Dos Equis commercial.
Isn't this the point of the character. How he doesn't fit into the situation. He is well spoken and well dressed still after the apocalypse. He is clearly a master manipulator, tactician and understands the new (old) rules of this new world. He will help the group to survive and interacting with other survives.

Did they serioulsly bring a horde of walkers to the very same place they want to rescue people from?
An old man can calmy lead this group but when facing a well trained and eqipped military outpost they become dangerous?
Humanity learned to shoot heads with the first 5 walkers appearing on earth, they still lose.
Trained soldiers lose again against a group rick would probably stab to death? What?
Cliche rapey soldiers in dirtface? It's like the show was written by 5 year olds.
Dont get me started on the cringe inducing acting and cuts.
Johnny Depp junior and travis need to die fast. Heck, they all need to die fast.

Godan

Did they serioulsly bring a horde of walkers to the very same place they want to rescue people from?
An old man can calmy lead this group but when facing a well trained and eqipped military outpost they become dangerous?
Humanity learned to shoot heads with the first 5 walkers appearing on earth, they still lose.
Trained soldiers lose again against a group rick would probably stab to death? What?
Cliche rapey soldiers in dirtface? It's like the show was written by 5 year olds.
Dont get me started on the cringe inducing acting and cuts.
Johnny Depp junior and travis need to die fast. Heck, they all need to die fast.

With that much complaining is sounds like this tv show ain't for you.

Godan

Lol. What's with this answer every time someone has a valid complaint? Its like saying well neener neener.

It's true. I felt the same thing while watching.

Well normally if I have a lot of complaints of something I am watching I tend to just stop watching it. Not continue to watch it and complain more about it.

LosDaddie

Banned
Great finale. Great season. I'm in for more.

The only character I don't like is Nick. He's just worthless. Strand is my dude though. He knows what's up.

Personally I can't get enough Walking Dead and I'm loving Fear.

Same. I'm probably going to re-watch the last few TWD eps to get ready for the new season

Well normally if I have a lot of complaints of something I am watching I tend to just stop watching it. Not continue to watch it and complain more about it.
Walking Dead is fun to watch.

I think deaths in the original mean nothing now and its the same plot over and over but its still popcorn TV.

Well, if the walkers don't get them, those wildfires that are engulfing the city probably will. I see what they were going for (continuing the whole "false utopia" theme), but it was still fucking stupid. What were their neighbors supposed to "do" against army personnel with guns? Rise up and attempt to overthrow them?

I also don't get the whole situation with Strand. The guy's locked up in a temporary holding cell halfway across the city from his home (despite the fact that there were supposedly 12 safezones set up). He doesn't seem to be a resident, because he talks about the nearby neighborhood with some degree of fondness and a historical slant. He also never shows symptoms and is kept in this cage, but apparently is good enough friends with Melvin (the soldier being munched on in the foyer) that the guy was apparently going to bust him out and give him a lift to his boat, as per the key he pilfered along with the cufflinks just before they had to run.

I'm like 80-90% positive that the reason for this show, and by extension Strand's character, will be to explain how/why the zombie virus exists in the first place. Strand was a little too straight-faced and prepared for the outbreak, I mean he's also the only one there wearing a goddamn suit. Combine that with, as you said, his rapport with the army guy I'll bet he's some kind of top secret FBI/CIA or some such that was meant to monitor a live test of the virus that got out of hand or something. The OG show already tried to tread some new territory in the TWD origin with the whole CDC thing and trying to play it off as some primitive midbrain relapse back into gut instinct kinda thing (which is total BS in real medical terms anyway, you might as well just call it magical fairy dust if you're gonna go out of your way to actively make suspension of disbelief even more difficult, but fine). It's about the only reason I see for the show to exist beyond just an excuse for rehashing everything we've seen/will see in the main show already.

Overall, this first season was pretty meh, a couple of head scratching character leaps really make the first season smell a lot like a more in-depth script that was chopped and condensed to fit into a meager 6 episodes. There's some potential in there still, though, and if they do start rolling the outbreak conspiracy storyline I'll probably keep up at least until the end of season 2, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed and that this first 6 could've been done a lot better.

I'm like 80-90% positive that the reason for this show, and by extension Strand's character, will be to explain how/why the zombie virus exists in the first place. Strand was a little too straight-faced and prepared for the outbreak, I mean he's also the only one there wearing a goddamn suit. Combine that with, as you said, his rapport with the army guy I'll bet he's some kind of top secret FBI/CIA or some such that was meant to monitor a live test of the virus that got out of hand or something. The OG show already tried to tread some new territory in the TWD origin with the whole CDC thing and trying to play it off as some primitive midbrain relapse back into gut instinct kinda thing (which is total BS in real medical terms anyway, you might as well just call it magical fairy dust if you're gonna go out of your way to actively make suspension of disbelief even more difficult, but fine). It's about the only reason I see for the show to exist beyond just an excuse for rehashing everything we've seen/will see in the main show already.

Overall, this first season was pretty meh, a couple of head scratching character leaps really make the first season smell a lot like a more in-depth script that was chopped and condensed to fit into a meager 6 episodes. There's some potential in there still, though, and if they do start rolling the outbreak conspiracy storyline I'll probably keep up at least until the end of season 2, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed and that this first 6 could've been done a lot better.

I thought the point of TWD was that they were never going to explain the outbreak.

I'd love if this show did the first season like the first season of the strand and make it about a government team as they realize shit is going down.

Ricker

Loved it,like I said a few times,I think they nailed the atmosphere very well...yeah some of the characters may not be memorable so far but hey it was only 6 episodes,glad to hear we get a nice 13 next season ;)

I doubt it. They've always been clear that we'll never explicitly know what the virus is.

The most we got is that there were people at home sick with some kind of fatal flu, which may or may not have been tied in with the walker virus.

It's also interesting how similar this finale was to TWD's "TS-19". The bulk of the action takes place in and around a medical facility/command post, the doctor in charge explains her knowledge about the virus bringing people back to life, and is seen going to kill herself out of despair. It even has the main characters getting into a convoy and driving off backed to a song.

Patryn

Finally caught the episode. Like many, I'm kind of troubled that to save a few, they slaughtered hundreds. However...

I thought that was a solid finale. Strand was awesome as expected. I liked Nick's statement at the end. Surprised they offed Liza. Expected they would keep her around longer to milk that two wives angle. Sad the doctor killed herself. Thought she could make a good regular.

Enjoyed the absolute selfishness the group displayed with unleashing the hoard on the base. Did not like the one dimensional awol soldiers. I'm fine with the concept just not how objectively bad and mean they were. Would have rather they been given a bit more depth. Same with Andy, I get the concept and use for Travis to grow but the execution wasn't as good as it should have been.

Really hope Madison gets a bigger role next season. I want her as the real leader, not Travis. They need to do a better job at developing everyone.

On the whole the season was OK, should have been a lot stronger. Definitely faltered in depicting the fall of a major city. More than a few shallow and illogical character moments and not as much development as there could have been, but it was still overall a fun watch and I'm interested enough in the characters that I'm excited for season 2.

...I think we were to assume that the Doctor didn't know about Cobalt. I think the show tried to imply that rescue was never going to happen, and all those people in the compound would have been killed as the soldiers deserted, hence the looting and all that. Like the two soldiers talking about how there's no more higher command. I think the community would have been abandoned, but all the patients and the "prisoners" all had dates with bullets in their heads.

But the show did a piss-poor job of demonstrating that.

I will say the sight of the jerk soldier having his leg eaten while he was still alive was pretty fucked up. I'm going to assume that he must be paralyzed or something, which is why he wasn't fighting the Walker or doing anything else but wait to die?

raphier

Banned
why was there no door gunner on each helicopters? You have a fence, a fuel pod and helicopters around. Spill fuel pod on the fence and let it burn, then blow some grenades around the back to distract the herd. Shoot from the air. Surround the herd with fire.

that's some incompetent military if I've seen one.

Assholes left the fence open lol
yeah, they've doomed them.
Why didn't they show us him releasing the horde?
good question. i think that was pretty important, although the way they presented it was good.
They were either all dead anyways since the military was bombing everyone or they were going to evacuate and let everyone die. So ya, they did.
and now they're gonna invade the whole city.

Yup. He could tell she was lying.
about what?
Fuck you Nick
what did he do this time?

Lol. What's with this answer every time someone has a valid complaint? Its like saying well neener neener.

It's true. I felt the same thing while watching.

There is a fine line between making a valid complaint or blasting a show with so many complaints (and in a tone) that it questions why in the hell you are watching it. This is a new show. This is not like the later seasons of Dexter, True Blood, or SoA where you are invested after several seasons, but the show has turned to pure shit. You have nothing invested in FTWD, so move on if it offends you that much. I think it is pretty valid and not 'neener neener'.

That said I do agree with some of his points (I strongly disagree about his thoughts on the acting), but it doesn't bother me at all. This show is nothing but 'bubble gum' entertainment much like The Walking Dead. It is funny I will blast season 3 of the superior Masters of Sex, and rag on it like crazy, but I pretty much will not issue any real complaints about this show . Why? Because I have the correct expectations for each show. This is a turn your brain off type show.

Wouldn't be a Walking Dead show without the people that do that.

Pretty much every thread of every forum I have visited since the first season it has been this way. I don't understand, but maybe it has something do with the audience it attracts.

...I think we were to assume that the Doctor didn't know about Cobalt. I think the show tried to imply that rescue was never going to happen, and all those people in the compound would have been killed as the soldiers deserted, hence the looting and all that. Like the two soldiers talking about how there's no more higher command. I think the community would have been abandoned, but all the patients and the "prisoners" all had dates with bullets in their heads.

If the rest of the military wanted to abandon the soldiers at the base, they wouldn't have dispatched that evac chopper in the first place. It was only when the chopper crew saw the horde trying to break in that they immediately bugged out. Up until that point, Exner was even planning to bring Travis and Chris along with the stable patients (though I don't know how she would have managed that).

It was clear that the army was pulling out completely by that point, and wanted nothing more to do with the prisoners or anyone else. Melvin was even getting his leg eaten inside the building in advance of the walker pack that ambushes Strand and Nick, and it seemed like he'd been there for a while.

Finally caught the final episode last night, I liked it. I think I might like this more than TWD simple because there aren't any characters that annoy me (yet).

I did have some issues with it though, mainly the pacing and the way it was cut. Like when they first met up with Liza, why did it take so long for Daniel to ask where his wife is. Then when military dude shot Ofelia the focus completely turned on Travis, even after the beating, it was all about him and Ofelia was completely ignored from not only his and Madisons perspective, but from the viewers as well. Then, wounded woman with a gunshot, let's stick her in the back of the truck while the healthy people sit comfortably in a car, lol.

Somnia

why was there no door gunner on each helicopters? You have a fence, a fuel pod and helicopters around. Spill fuel pod on the fence and let it burn, then blow some grenades around the back to distract the herd. Shoot from the air. Surround the herd with fire.

They are short staffed, soldiers have gone awol and they've all been up for 50+ hours and are fighting exhaustion.

Not saying they shouldn't have been smarter and it was dumb how they all fired at the fence, etc. but they very much were screwed.

There's also no way they had enough ammo let alone soldiers to kill that many walkers, there were thousands of them.

Flavius

Madison's actress is total garbage and it is a shame she survived. Maybe there is a mental reason they have yet to reveal that explains her lack of emotion.

Have you watched all of the episodes? Agonizing over her neighbor? Beating the shit out of her junkie son? Hitting the booze bottle hard?

I respect that not everyone's going to have the same opinion, but that's an odd complaint given what transpired throughout the season.

raphier

Banned
They are short staffed, soldiers have gone awol and they've all been up for 50+ hours and are fighting exhaustion.

Not saying they shouldn't have been smarter and it was dumb how they all fired at the fence, etc. but they very much were screwed.

There's also no way they had enough ammo let alone soldiers to kill that many walkers, there were thousands of them.

Bullshit, I've seen better snap decision making from industrial worksites with crazy deadlines. This bunch spends ammo like stormtroopers before their wit. It's like they've never been stressed before in their lives.

Let's be honest here. If a zombie horde showed up at your front door at a moment's notice, you sure as hell wouldn't be thinking "I'm going to start shooting fuel pods and using helicopters".

They just started blasting away with everything they had, and it was shown that the one chopper they had was in the process of evacuating soldiers when Liza ran out. Maybe they could have used grenades, but that would hardly make a dent in the 2,000 coming towards them.

The military were basically left on their own by the time the horde attacked. While I agree that they could have done a better job showing them actually taking more headshots (you see them unloading entire clips into the center of mass), it's a minor point. They just weren't prepared.

Somnia

Bullshit, I've seen better snap decision making from industrial worksites with crazy deadlines. This bunch spends ammo like stormtroopers before their wit. It's like they've never been stressed before in their lives.

There was what, 20 soldiers there tops? They were screwed no matter what you think.

Were the decisions made after executing thousands of innocent people in a now abandoned city in an installation being attacked by thousands of undead people in a country where you don't know if the government event exists anymore while under commands to massacre the surviving people and firebomb a major American city? No?

I fail to see the comparison.

Have you watched all of the episodes? Agonizing over her neighbor? Beating the shit out of her junkie son? Hitting the booze bottle hard?

I respect that not everyone's going to have the same opinion, but that's an odd complaint given what transpired throughout the season.

Yeah and she did all that while displaying the emotional range of a robot.

She sucks and when she dies it will be the greatest day in television history.

You've had a hatred for her since the start of the season, most people think she's a great actress, her resume shows that she's a great actress, at this point you're just being a hater, lol.

Lorcain

I knew a lot of Gaffers would take a liking to Strand but when me a couple of gal pals watched the last two episodes, we were all in agreement that he's probably the WORST CHARACTER EVER. We don't know what show the actor thinks he's in, but it's definitely not Fear the Walking Dead. Get this asshole out of this show and into a Dos Equis commercial.
He's a fun character to watch...don't wish him away like that! All of his scenes have this cool surreal quality to them. You're right, he's not like any previous or current WD character, but that's what I like about him. It's apocalypse go time and the dude is straightening up his tie before heading into chaos. And, he loots a soldier being eaten alive to get his cuff links back. In the world of TWD, it doesn't get much cooler than that.

cacildo

With that much complaining is sounds like this tv show ain't for you.

To be fair me and my wife both are at a point where we just watch Walking Dead(s) to complain

She was IMPRESSED by how awful Fear was, and think regular TWD is bad, but better than this
I think Fear is awful, but regular TWD aint much better

But what i really want is for another network to make a new zombie show, a good one

And no, z-nation isnt it

Flavius

You're that guy at Golden Corral who complains that the dinner rolls on the buffet "just aren't as fresh as they should be!!!" am I right?

Top Bottom