• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| Observe THIS, Brother!

Sephzilla

Is HHH the most overrated wrestler of all time? I feel like every time he comes up we collectively have bad or mediocre things to say about them. The only person I would put above him is Hogan

I want to say Ultimate Warrior is, because everyone remembers him but his matches were complete fucking dog shit and his promos never made any kind of sense. But HHH might take the crown of most overrated when you factor in all of the revisionist history put in place to make HHH look like he was some big superstar in the industry, when in fact he was a B-tier star during the Attitude Era, only got the main event scene once the bigger stars all left, and his main event run actively killed mainstream interest in the product.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Is HHH the most overrated wrestler of all time? I feel like every time he comes up we collectively have bad or mediocre things to say about them. The only person I would put above him is Hogan

Yes. HHH managed to get into the main event scene with enough all time greats that he has convinced himself he is one of them. He's not. I will always give him props though, I love his look and the Pedigree is a great finisher.

It's funny how about five years ago most people were all 'fuck Triple H he's ruined wrestling' but now with NXT it's all about how he will be the savior of the WWE.

Make up your minds!

He's only overrated by the wwf as part of their company "History" (or "Mythology" I guess it should be).

He was good from the 2000 rumble till he tore his quad.

Sephzilla

Yes. HHH managed to get into the main event scene with enough all time greats that he has convinced himself he is one of them. He's not. I will always give him props though, I love his look and the Pedigree is a great finisher.

Yeah, these are two things I'll never deny HHH has. His look is pretty fantastic and the Pedigree is a really good finishing move.

It's funny how about five years ago most people were all 'fuck Triple H he's ruined wrestling' but now with NXT it's all about how he will be the savior of the WWE.

Make up your minds!

It's possible to separate HHH the wrestler from HHH the fantasy wrestling booker. HHH is usually a pretty great mind for the business when he subtracts himself from the picture*.

* Well except for that one time in Montreal

klonere

Banned

In the Meltzer definition of push related to talent, that would be none other than good old Double J.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
In the Meltzer definition of push related to talent, that would be none other than good old Double J.

oh i dont know. double j and triple h are around the exact same level for promos and wrestling ability. the only thing triple h has is that he's bigger.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Are we seriously saying HHH is on JJ level? Guys, I know you don't like Hunter very much, fuck HHH and all that, but, come on...

HHH is way better than Jarrett. My main beef with HHH is he seems to get ranked like along side Foley, Rock, Austin, HBK, and Taker. HHH is pretty good, he's just not really on par with the people he feuded with. JJ is just awful.

Zach

Here are a couple past posts on the matter:

I've said numerous times that Triple H, Jeff Jarrett, and Shane Douglas are all on the same tier for me. But 2000 made me a believer in Triple H... being slightly better than Jeff Jarrett.

Jury's still out on The Franchiiise -- ha ha.

I... I think I've just realized that Edge is Triple H/Jeff Jarrett/Shane Douglas Tier for me. D:

>_>

<_<

Is Edge in your fav 5 yet?

Ha!

klonere

Banned
Kanemaru is pretty good. El Despy is decent. Taka is a far cry from where he was but he's still okay. Archer and Smith aren't great on their own but make a decent team.

It's really just Iizuka and Taichi.

Kanemaru is boring boring boring. Despy is probably good but needs to leave SZG. Taka is fine, I'll agree there. Archer and Smith I flip flop on a lot. Sometimes they are a great mean heel team and other times they are corny and boring as hell.

I think I'm just burnt out from NOAH 2015/2016 SZG tbh

Samoa Joe was interviewed by Helen Yee of Eyes on the Game recently and, naturally, she brought up his friendship with former WWE star turned mixed martial artist CM Punk. When asked if they talked after Joe finally made it to WWE, he revealed what his old traveling buddy said:

"...

Good guy punk

Shame ROH doesn't have a streaming service. Seems like money on the table
RIP ROH Archive

klonere

Banned
Has this been posted yet

C4zMXCfWIAAIrKz.jpg

I want to say Ultimate Warrior is, because everyone remembers him but his matches were complete fucking dog shit and his promos never made any kind of sense. But HHH might take the crown of most overrated when you factor in all of the revisionist history put in place to make HHH look like he was some big superstar in the industry, when in fact he was a B-tier star during the Attitude Era, only got the main event scene once the bigger stars all left, and his main event run actively killed mainstream interest in the product.

I think this is a good sum of and what I was thinking. I know JJ is garbage, but HHH got a lot more title runs and control than JJ ever did. He just really seems to be the very definition of overrated corporate yes man who got the pushes.

Regarding NXT, even if you disassociate HHH the wrestler and HHH the corporate guy, I still think overall this sub is iffy on what he's done in NXT. A lot of people here have pointed out it's been shaky since Dusty left and I think you can argue since HHH has tried to make it a bigger brand than what it is it's been less than stellar. I know i know, the roster split didn't help, but its a kidn of poor excuse. HHH should have known that was coming and have been better prepared, but he wasn't.

Acosta

W-T-F

""I WILL RIDE THE GOLDEN CHARIOT OF DESTINY INTO THE SCORCHING FLAMES OF THE NETHERREALM TO CAPTURE THE SWORD OF DESTRUCTION AS I DEVOUR THE SOULS OF 18 AND A HALF POSSESSED MONKEYS ON MY QUEST TO RIDE THROUGH PARTS UNKNOWN CARRYING THE HEAD OF THE CHOSEN PEACOCK OF LIFE AND ALL ETERNITY"&#65279;

If this is not a good promo I don't know what it is.

Honestly, I don't care much if Warrior (or Hogan) were not a beauty to watch in the ring. I think (me) that is most important to get a reaction from the public and Warrior did as few other.

BTW, I loved that second wind Warrior and Hogan used to do, did anyone try to use that gimmick after them?

Sephzilla

I think this is a good sum of and what I was thinking. I know JJ is garbage, but HHH got a lot more title runs and control than JJ ever did. He just really seems to be the very definition of overrated corporate yes man who got the pushes.

Regarding NXT, even if you disassociate HHH the wrestler and HHH the corporate guy, I still think overall this sub is iffy on what he's done in NXT. A lot of people here have pointed out it's been shaky since Dusty left and I think you can argue since HHH has tried to make it a bigger brand than what it is it's been less than stellar. I know i know, the roster split didn't help, but its a kidn of poor excuse. HHH should have known that was coming and have been better prepared, but he wasn't.

Didn't talk about the brand split start only like a month or two before it actually happened? I remember that being a surprisingly rushed thing. I don't think there's any way you can prepare to have your roster gouged out like that without pushing some too-green talents

Lothar

Banned
Are we seriously saying HHH is on JJ level? Guys, I know you don't like Hunter very much, fuck HHH and all that, but, come on...

I'd rather watch a Jeff Jarrett match than any HHH match since 2000. I haven't seen JJ since WCW ended though. Maybe he got bad after that. He had great matches against Razor and Shawn. I'd rather watch them than any HHH match even from 2000.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Didn't talk about the brand split start only like a month or two before it actually happened? I remember that being a surprisingly rushed thing. I don't think there's any way you can prepare to have your roster gouged out like that without pushing some too-green talents

Umm, no, they were clearly planning the brand split as soon as they announced they were moving Smackdown to Tuesdays live and brought in Mauro. That was about a year out.

klonere

Banned
W-T-F

""I WILL RIDE THE GOLDEN CHARIOT OF DESTINY INTO THE SCORCHING FLAMES OF THE NETHERREALM TO CAPTURE THE SWORD OF DESTRUCTION AS I DEVOUR THE SOULS OF 18 AND A HALF POSSESSED MONKEYS ON MY QUEST TO RIDE THROUGH PARTS UNKNOWN CARRYING THE HEAD OF THE CHOSEN PEACOCK OF LIFE AND ALL ETERNITY"&#65279;

Honestly, I don't care much if Warrior (or Hogan) were not a beauty to watch in the ring. I think (me) that is most important to get a reaction from the public and Warrior did as few other.

BTW, I loved that second wind Warrior and Hogan used to do, did anyone try to use that gimmick after them?

Yeah it's just an adapted version of fighting spirit spots from Japan which are becoming very vogue on the indies right now.

Dunno if they've snuck their way into WWE matches in any explicit way where someone just pops up immediately from a big move. Maybe when Cena was doing the frog splash > kickout > AA thing?

Zach

I remember a pretty good Jarrett/Benoit ladder match from like 2000 WCW believe it or not. So that's something.

Hey, Sephzilla! Where's the GWF?!

That's the tagline of the GWF commercials airing in my area.

Sephzilla

Hey, Sephzilla! Where's the GWF?!

A GWF show happening this weekend is, unfortunately, looking a touch unlikely at the moment. Wednesday ended up being a stressful day of work so by the time I got home I was drained and just didn't have the incentive to boot up 2k17. Yesterday I bought my new 4K TV and setting up that, the stand for it, and rearranging a bunch of shit in my apartment took literally all night.

I'm going to try to muscle through the final CAWs tonight, but the first GWF show might be pushed into mid-next week.

Kanemaru is boring boring boring. Despy is probably good but needs to leave SZG. Taka is fine, I'll agree there. Archer and Smith I flip flop on a lot. Sometimes they are a great mean heel team and other times they are corny and boring as hell.

I think I'm just burnt out from NOAH 2015/2016 SZG tbh

Fair point. I can admit Kanemaru is definitely quite generic especially compared to other jrs since he doesn't do a lot of the flippy shit and isn't as fast, it's mostly due to his loyalty that he's been able to rack up the career he has had. Still, him coming into NJPW does open the door for several huge matches in the BOSJ, plus the appeal of him going after the one Jr. title he's never been able to win. He, like Taka, bring a veteran presence to the Jr. division which really needed it.

Ronin Ray

W-T-F

What does any of that mean? It looks like a bunch of nonsense

Zach

A GWF show happening this weekend is, unfortunately, looking a touch unlikely at the moment. Wednesday ended up being a stressful day of work so by the time I got home I was drained and just didn't have the incentive to boot up 2k17. Yesterday I bought my new 4K TV and setting up that, the stand for it, and rearranging a bunch of shit in my apartment took literally all night.

I'm going to try to muscle through the final CAWs tonight, but the first GWF show might be pushed into mid-next week.
Noooooo.

(Just be sure to avoid this Tuesday night. xoxo)

Acosta

Yeah it's just an adapted version of fighting spirit spots from Japan which are becoming very vogue on the indies right now.

Dunno if they've snuck their way into WWE matches in any explicit way where someone just pops up immediately from a big move. Maybe when Cena was doing the frog splash > kickout > AA thing?

Thanks!

What does any of that mean? It looks like a bunch of nonsense

Where is your inner child?

Top Bottom