• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez's dev to japanese developers: "your games just suck"

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
You guys do realize that Phil isn't the only one who worked on Fez, right? I feel like a lot of you are letting your opinions of Phil cloud your judgement of the game itself. Don't want the game but not buy it because Phil said something he shouldn't have; Renaud Bedard worked his ass off to program this thing, Disasterpeace put together a soundtrack, etc.

They'll be alright. Don't worry.

Plus, Phil has apologized, and that's worth a lot. Maybe I'll buy their game now. (Great marketing ploy hurr)

I'm really just waiting for an elaboration on why modern Japanese games suck. I wasn't there, and I want to hear it.

joetachi

You guys do realize that Phil isn't the only one who worked on Fez, right? I feel like a lot of you are letting your opinions of Phil cloud your judgement of the game itself. Don't want the game but not buy it because Phil said something he shouldn't have; Renaud Bedard worked his ass off to program this thing, Disasterpeace put together a soundtrack, etc.

Witch is even worse when you become the public image of your game you should watch your mouth because you are not only making your game look bad you're making your coworkers look bas. I guess i took an event like this to bring him back down to earth and its for the better for him and his game.

Clevinger

Fqr9l.jpg

"You'll still buy my game, right guys?"

IrishNinja

catching up, sorry for the long post.

wow...really, Leigh? i keep arguing you're better than this, too.

AQJip.jpg

jesus christ.

ahaha, i feel like i've already seen enough of indie movie now.

Leigh really needs to not slur Kanye like that.

*GAF-hop dap*

Why gloss over the fact he was insulted first?

i tend to have higher expectations of industry professionals, but i get that the notion's subjective.

Because the baka gaijin deserved it!

worthless posts like this really only detract from the discussion, man.

I just confirmed this as real.

I will not buy Fez, as appealing as it looks to me. This kind of behavior is absolutely unacceptable. Dude can go fuck himself. He's giving me and every other indie dev out there a horrible name.

+1 to Feep, if i was in your position i'd be more offended as well.

this thread feels like a corporate boardroom full of suits and red power ties who write pc emails to each other all day and then go make racist jokes at the golf course over shrimp and white wine mulling over the cart girl rape fantasy du jour.

this is some hardcore pojection right here. i feel i learned more about this poster than i wanted to.

He's buddy-buddy with the IGF heads, and given their lack of professionalism when responding to the complaints about judges not even playing the games they are assigned, I wouldn't expect much from them.

wait, it's a known thing that they award without playing the games? really?

What disgusts me the most is that Neogafs opinion of him is based on whether or not they agree with him. If he said iPad games suck you guys would be worshipping his nuts.

more hivemind posts, that's what this thread needed.

Fqr9l.jpg

That's all I wanted to see come out of this. It doesn't excuse anything, but it's the best you can ask for.

OSuWU.png

All's well that ends... well-ish.

glad to see this, but there's still a loss of respect that it went down, dude planted his flag on this, then dragged his nuts to make the right move. still, the right thing was eventually done.

A bit too late to save face in the public eye, but Goto's accepted it, and that's whats important. We can now go back to blatantly ignoring innovations and quality in Japanese games that we won't buy.

TaroYamada

Apology is definitely too late for me, I followed Fez since the beginning and he has lost all of the interest I had in Fez and any of his future work.

Ive only just checked out this fez game.

Lmao at this guy.

In some cultures, he would have been nursing a black eye for that level of rudeness and he would of deserved it.

Cipherr

yeah i'm glad the dude apologized too, all this extra info about Hiro was kind of making phil look like a straight cartoon villain. i mean seriously, read this shit:

This is straight after school special territory.

lol, nice description.

Can someone tell me why people are THIS upset about this guy's comment? I mean, 50 pages? Really?

50 pages of explanations. Would be better for you to read, than to reignite this. Trust me.

Reading Hiro's Twitter (as well as the feeds of other Japanese people that spoke with Hiro), and I really feel sorry for him even more.

Apparently he paid his own way to come to GDC for the first time so he could hear some great talks and learn new things. He studied English hardcore beforehand, and even switched his language at home to English just to practice for the conference. Then, on his first day at GDC, he works up his courage to ask Fish a question, and gets berated like that.

Anyway, the guy seems like he's really nice. The response really got to him, though. He posted at 3:00am the night of the incident saying he couldn't sleep.

Poor guy. He made all that effort and dedication only to be put down by some tactless juvenile punk looking for a quick and dirty audience soundbite. Thanks for sharing that. I'll have to read up more on him and any projects he has.

Fqr9l.jpg

That's all I wanted to see come out of this. It doesn't excuse anything, but it's the best you can ask for.

This. Doesn't fully exonerate him that's for sure (and OBVIOUSLY would've been much better and more believable if it was immediate instead of after several days of epically insane Charlie Sheen style "winning duh!!!!" type rants) but at least he finally sorta manned up and did the right thing.

Erethian

but... but poor little brave Japanese dev...!

This whole episode was a non-event, as I have been saying all along.

The fact that poor little brave Japanese dev doesn't give a shit just makes everyone else look like idiots.

Having videogame industry people treat each other with a degree of respect and courtesy, especially where different cultures are involved, isn't a high bar to meet.

Fish has been at these events long enough that he should know how to conduct himself in public.

The fact that poor little brave Japanese dev doesn't give a shit just makes everyone else look like idiots.

Uh no. Remember the tweet where he said he was bothered and couldn't sleep? "That's OK buddy, I'm fine don't worry about it anymore" is the typical good, positive response one dude gives to show that he accepts an apology from someone who was being a jerk. Sure as heck doesn't mean there wasn't a point to the apology being given in the first place.

It's crystal clear why you found this to be a 'non-event.' Crystal fucking clear.

Duffyside

Banned
Ok, so now that this is finally over (after about another 1800 posts, give or take), can someone explain to me what was said besides "I think Japan's games suck"?

As is, this seems like the most over-reactionary thing in the history of GAF, and that sure is saying something.

Justin

Ok, so now that this is finally over (after about another 1800 posts, give or take), can someone explain to me what was said besides "I think Japan's games suck"?

As is, this seems like the most over-reactionary thing in the history of GAF, and that sure is saying something.

Japanese dev asks during Q&A what everyone thinks of modern Japanese games. Fish answers "They Suck" and the internet proves once again how terrible it can be.

He insulted and humiliated a dev at GDC, acted like a moron on Twitter, was embroiled in a big indie games controversy, and told people online to choke on his dick because he had won an award.

Now he just sounds whiny.

Should have just apologized and walked away.

Also, where the hell can I read about how he went into more than his original comment? He goes on about context. Where is the rest of his discussion?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This thread has really taught me that a lot of people are simply unable to take context into consideration when thinking about something.

He insulted and humiliated a dev at GDC, acted like a moron on Twitter, was embroiled in a big indie games controversy, and told people online to choke on his dick because he had won an award.

Don't forget the whole controversy behind his yet-again entry to the IGF. The whole thing just smells like shit.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How did he insult and humiliate the dev?

How is that even a question? Do you have any idea what this thread is about?

And Jesus Christ, you come in here posting, "Now this is finally over!" as if you're glad it's over, and then proceed to insult people and instigate the whole thing starting right back up.

Come the fuck on.

Duffyside

Banned
How is that even a question? Do you have any idea what this thread is about?

It's, like, 2500 pages long. So no, not really, which is why a few posts up I asked, basically, "what's this thread all about?" Because "Japanese games have sucked lately" doesn't strike me as personally insulting or humiliating.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's, like, 2500 pages long. So no, not really, which is why a few posts up I asked, basically, "what's this thread all about?" Because "Japanese games have sucked lately" doesn't strike me as personally insulting or humiliating.

How about you read the the first post? Is that too much to ask?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

How about reading the OP ?

How did he insult and humiliate the dev?

The dude stood up (it was his first GDC and he learned English for it) praised the indie scene and got "Your games just suck" as a response to his question. People in the audience apparently were very put off and there was a lot of grumbling after the event.

Someone at the panel tweeted that he saw the guy's face when he got the reply and felt sorry for him.

Standing up in front of a crowd of your peers and being told your work sucks is degrading and unprofessional.

lol

Do you want to take part in the discussion, or just sleep, or...what?

Duffyside

Banned
How about you read the the first post? Is that too much to ask?

I did. Multiple times. Maybe I should be more specific? Or not, cuz you seem like a lunatic. But just in case I'm misinterpreting your tone;

"Japanese games have sucked lately" doesn't sound insulting or humiliating. However, in the OP it is mentioned that Fish "went on from there" in what may have been an insulting way.

Anyone know what he said afterwards?

Also, how about you calm the hell down. Is that too much to ask?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I did. Multiple times. Maybe I should be more specific? Or not, cuz you seem like a lunatic. But just in case I'm misinterpreting your tone;

"Japanese games have sucked lately" doesn't sound insulting or humiliating. However, in the OP it is mentioned that Fish "went on from there" in what may have been an insulting way.

Anyone know what he said afterwards?

Also, how about you calm the hell down. Is that too much to ask?

Oh well. You're hopeless.

Learn how to comprehend words and understand context. Those are useful skills in life.

IrishNinja

was it the hivemind-ish comment, or just your secret clout/ninjas, ami?

you wouldn't say if it was the latter anyway would you

Did you see the messages people were sending him and the things being said in this thread? Seems like an equal response.
Have you ever seen established game devs, or hell, anyone tied to a product they would like to sell, respond to criticism like that? Besides, it was his own initial rude actions everyone was criticizing.

Justin

Have you ever seen established game devs, or hell, anyone tied to a product they would like to sell, respond to criticism like that? Besides, it was his own initial rude actions everyone was criticizing.

No, but I am not sure many other developers have been hung in public like Fish has. It is not a surprise that an out spoken person will um... speak out after days and days of being told he is a piece of shit and his game is shit (even though no one has played it except for the people who gave it an award).

Amir0x

Banned
was it the hivemind-ish comment, or just your secret clout/ninjas, ami?

you wouldn't say if it was the latter anyway would you

secret clout? I am sure that many will be happy to hear that I do not have any outsider influence on what goes on in neoGAF anymore, and that although I love GAF, enjoyed my tenure and think the moderation does a great job, I think this is for the best ;)

Judging by past bans, it was for saying "you seem like a lunatic"

yeah, but why did people get mad at him

lol :D

Also from their own site, the uh, apparently ultra relaxed nature of the gameplay sounds kinda ironic when you think about it:

There are no enemies in FEZ. No bosses, no combat. In fact, no conflict of any kind. You can die, but there is no penalty for doing so. FEZ aims to create a non-threatening world rich with ambiance, a pleasant place to spend time in.

stupei

Did you see the messages people were sending him and the things being said in this thread? Seems like an equal response.

It's this kind of thinking that led to him making his original comment in the first place. He's the face of his game. How many developers do you see lashing out on twitter? Just because you're a part of the indie scene, that doesn't magically make your product something you're not asking other people to pay you money for. Once you are engaging with a commercial good or service, you are a part of the business world whether you like it or not. It's like he refuses to acknowledge the basic rules of etiquette that govern how a business works -- how people behave around coworkers and peers -- because indie means working outside the rules, right? Well, no, not if you want the people around you to respect you and your work.

Whether you or he consider the reaction extreme, what all those angry people are essentially saying to him is: "I do not respect you." In return he could try to do something to show he is worthy of respect; instead he only confirms everything he's being accused of.

Well, except for those questioning the quality of his game, since most of us don't know that yet. And while one might say that the game should be able to speak for itself, that would really only be possible if he learned to shut up first.

On the one hand, that was a mean thing to say, on the other hand, he's absolutely right.

Oh good, I was hoping someone would make such a unique comment. What this thread really needs is another discussion about what people who don't generally play Japanese games think about the direction they're headed in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom