• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF12 makes me realize even more how bad 15 is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcel

It's not the tropes, dude. It's the sexist, homophobic, pervy ones that permeate most (not all) Japanese games nowadays.

Persona 5 decided to insult my identity with the presence of a gay person as a sexual predator. If I can get over it to enjoy the actual game then you can too. It's possible to separate these things out and not pretend it's a zero sum game.

Lynx_7

I liked Rogue Galaxy until you got all three keys and fought Seed. Was disappointed that the game about Space Pirates had no pirating in it at all. It was the same "Save the World" plot of any RPG.
I never beat Rogue Galaxy because my disc always froze at a specific cutscene, and nowadays I'm not really compelled to jump back into it, but I did have more fun with it up until that point than I had with FF XII.

Ehh

FF12 I sort of gave a shit about the characters, I can't really say the same for RG.

Always felt something was off with that game and I really don't know how to put it.

Can't say I cared for either cast except for Balthier, but RG's battle system didn't bore me, so it has that going for it.

It's because contingents of GAF occasionally have a hard-on for Japanese games that don't "act" or "look" Japanese so they can feel less yucky about liking them.
indeed, people who don't beat off to loli characters don't deserve mechanics-driven gaming

it rules that FF12's CG intro and Reks tutorial nail all of the relevant plot points of Kingsglaive but far more cogently and in a fraction of the time

And actually includes it all in-game and not as a CG movie release. Want the game's intro? Buy this CG movie. Still think that's nonsense.

As someone who absolutely hates FFXIV:ARR story (as much as to say XV was better in that regard), Heavensward is way WAY better.

Everyone talks about the Titan quest but all of ARR story is a big empty previsible and cliche of a plot. It especially sucks if you played 1.0. because they dumbed down the characters (Gaius especially). But Heavensward is worth pushing on, if you ask me.

Yeah, but this is what I'm saying. Like, what are we talkin here to get to 50? Like another 20-30 hours? I mean that's asking a lot just to see something get better....

megalowho

I find replaying FFXII is reminding me just how much the game has in common with XV. The development troubles laid bare, the sense of freedom, the MMO and open world influence, the hunts, the narrative fumbles through similar plot threads. They both take risks and are fascinating to dissect, both positively and negatively.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
The first 15-20 hours of XII is pretty decent.

The stuff after that though? Complete garbage. I don't even remember the ending it's so immemorable.

BigDes

Persona 5 decided to insult my identity with the presence of a gay person as a sexual predator. If I can get over it to enjoy the actual game then you can too. It's possible to separate these things out and not pretend it's a zero sum game.

Why people should have to get over it? What makes this game so important that it gets a pass?

itshutton

XII was ahead of its time in many ways, but for me is one of the reasons XV is so poor.

The battle systems are the weakest part in both and I am certain XV is the evolution of what they wanted XII to be.

Still I think XII is actually a great game.

MilkBeard

it rules that FF12's CG intro and Reks tutorial nail all of the relevant plot points of Kingsglaive but far more cogently and in a fraction of the time

This I agree with, I wish Kingsglaive was instead an opening sequence like they did with FF XII. In a way, it's kind of similar -- an entire plot arc is shown in the entire sequence. They could have done it the same way, saved the movie, and we would have had a slightly better, continuous experience.

Marcel

Why people should have to get over it? What makes this game so important that it gets a pass?

You know there's a difference between getting a pass and my personal level of getting over it so I can just enjoy what's there? That's what I'm talking about. If you don't want to get over it feel free to hang onto whatever you want. Many of my other gay friends love to hang onto things they feel slighted about in media. I don't think it's worth my time.

The Dude

Final fantasy has simply been a series that progressively gets worse with each new main like release and that alone saddens me.

The issue is that while 12 doesn't compare to 6, 7, 9, and even 10 for me... It's still better than 13 and 15, and that's just how it goes.

13 and 15 are just odd games in general, I don't get who they're catered to but as a Final fantasy player since the original in the 80s, they sure as hell weren't catered to me.

12 is the least offender, it is on that line.

JaseMath

Agreed. Now that a substantially better Final Fantasy is available on console, maybe now everyone will see that FFXV was a case of the emperor wearing no clothes all along.

Ralemont

not me
Yeah, but this is what I'm saying. Like, what are we talkin here to get to 50? Like another 20-30 hours? I mean that's asking a lot just to see something get better....

As a longtime FFXIV player I can't recommend people get into it unless they somewhat enjoy the MMO elements as well, for this reason. Heavensward is great but it's no Shakespeare, and that's a lot of time devoted to something everyone tells you that you won't like to get to the part you might maybe.

Tiops

From a story standpoint, I understand the complaints about the later half of FFXII. Don't agree a lot, but I understand. The story is still there, the arcs are closed, no character is forgotten (at most, some characters are under used).

But there's SO much stuff to discover, fight and explore during the whole game that it's impossible to me to not love it.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hey man, the ending is like one of the only great things about XII.

I'm gonna have to watch it again on YouTube then. I literally don't remember it at all. Despite definitely beating it (I remember the final boss being a chore that could sometimes be damaged and not at others). He was super annoying to beat. After that it's just gone.

jimmypython

FF12 was a complete package. FF13 still was, but a small one.

FF14 and 15 weren't even finished when they came out: FF14 was a broken game, and FF15 was just a tech demo.

SE forgot how to make games starting from FF13. For FF15, they had to literally ask fans how they would like the game to be like lol.

Was XII the last good SP FF game?

Nah, there's been plenty of good SP FF's since then, including WoFF, XIII, XIII's spinoffs and even XV. The problem is none of them have been great, which is something that's kinda expected of the series. Even XII was pretty flawed at its initial release, the IZJS and TZA versions have dramatically improved the game to the point where I'd consider it a great FF.

ryseing

I will say that the class stories in ARR are really great. I've quite enjoyed the Dragoon and Rogue quest lines. Shame that they only open up once every five levels.

Ideally base ARR would be redone with more emphasis on the class stories as the player goes from 1-50 but that's a pipe dream.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I tried a few times to go back to XV and give it a full playthrough, as I'm not far in at all. But every time, I had trouble getting into it.

Hopefully later in the summer but now XII is on my radar to pick up as I never finished it the first time. I'm finding the open world boring, the setting a bit bland and the battle system simply bad.

I adore Final Fantasy and its numerous changes. VII and IX would likely be in my top 5 games ever. Even with its flaws, I enjoyed VIII. I love X and XIII. I'm dying to get back into XIV when I have time.

But for some reason, XV isn't clicking with me.

Meh. Maybe not IV, not that it's a bad game.

I definitely agree in that SMTIV is really overrated. Especially when the likes of DDS, DDS2, Strange Journey, SMT3, Persona 2, Soul Hackers and Devil Survivor all exist and are far superior. Heck, I'd say I probably prefer Raidou 1 over it. The aesthetics of SMTIV, aside from the music, did not gel with me at all that much and i felt that SMTIV had a messy storyline with really lame Chaos/Law themes.

FF14 and 15 weren't even finished when they came out: FF14 was a broken game, and FF15 was just a tech demo.

SE forgot how to make games starting from FF13. For FF15, they had to literally ask fans how they would like the game to be like lol.

Did you really just call FFXV a tech demo?

Lynx_7

Why can't we just enjoy XII instead of using it as an objective marker of XV's quality?

I can see where the TC is coming from, and I kind of expected a thread like this to come out eventually, but I think there are better ways to frame this discussion than yet another "let's shit on FF XV" thread. There's a useful discussion waiting to be had by contrasting what XII did better than XV, but it's hard to get any good debate going when you start by insulting the other game.

ZeoVGM

Banned

This seems a bit unfair.

XV is really the only example of this. Yes, XIV was a disaster when it launched but they completely turned the game around. ARR was a new game and it was a complete package.

And despite my issues with it, XV is not a tech demo. That's hyperbole and you know that.

sanstesy

I haven't played FFXV but FFXII still completely falls apart in the last half which is a lot of game. Its first impression is the best thing it got going for it.

Sami+

Who are you to tell people what should and shouldn't bother them?

Persona 5 loooooves to fellate itself over how counter-culture and socially progressive it is, so the fact that it has extremely regressive portrayals of women and LGBT people, and touts the option to have adults date and become intimate with underage high schoolers as a feature, rightly ruins the entire game for some. Doesn't have to for you, and that's fine.

Edit - man why am I even talking about Persona 5 in here anyway

ZeoVGM

Banned
Final Fantasy fans with their hyperbole. Threads like this make me ashamed to like the series, and this one is destined to devolve into a cesspool.

I'm not even this critical about my least favorite games.

No, you just don't get it. I guess XII was either too progressive for some or it alienated by not being an FFX rehash.

"Man, Final Fantasy fans are so hyperbolic. They make me ashamed.

... But anyway, like I was saying, the only reason you don't like my favorite Final Fantasy is because you're too stupid to understand it."

Marcel

Who are you to tell people what should and shouldn't bother them?

Persona 5 loooooves to fellate itself over how counter-culture and socially progressive it is, so the fact that it has extremely regressive portrayals of women and LGBT people, and touts the option to have adults date and become intimate with underage high schoolers as a feature, rightly ruins the entire game for some. Doesn't have to for you, and that's fine.

Expecting Hashino to treat LGBTQ+ at anything above surface level or the butt of a joke is like expecting David Cage to write anything resembling coherent in a video game. If you expect the blood to come out of the stone feel free to work at it but I don't.

Lynx_7

Mainline SMT games being better than Persona isn't a hot take at all. That's just how it is.

I don't think IV or Apocalypse are better than any of the Hashino Personas. I don't think 1 is either from what I've played, even if I did like it quite a bit.
Can't speak for Strange Journey, I really need to get around to that.
Persona 5 loooooves to fellate itself over how counter-culture and socially progressive it is, so the fact that it has extremely regressive portrayals of women[...]

This sounds like a gross exageration. There are some issues with how the game treats Ann for fanservice, but overall it's far from being "extremely regressive" with its portrayal of women.

Kuraudo

Banned
It's a shame FFXII's storytelling follows the same trajectory as FFXV. Strong premise, quickly becomes disjointed, subplots, characters and antagonists becoming largely inconsequential. Although it is much more pronounced in XV.

FFX feels like the last fully realised story in a mainline FF, and even it relied on a pretty tired JRPG trope (although it did a better job with it than most).

Loving the XII remaster, but it still feels like the start of FF's decline, even if that decline isn't as significant as it becomes in the following decade.

As a longtime FFXIV player I can't recommend people get into it unless they somewhat enjoy the MMO elements as well, for this reason. Heavensward is great but it's no Shakespeare, and that's a lot of time devoted to something everyone tells you that you won't like to get to the part you might maybe.

I will say that the class stories in ARR are really great. I've quite enjoyed the Dragoon and Rogue quest lines. Shame that they only open up once every five levels.

Ideally base ARR would be redone with more emphasis on the class stories as the player goes from 1-50 but that's a pipe dream.

Hmm.....

Before Stormblood launched I saw people talking about a potential "jump to 50" deal. I'm assuming that didn't actually materialize? There's no way to accelerate to a higher level character?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom