• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF12 makes me realize even more how bad 15 is

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
Maybe it's because I'm not really a huge FF fan but sometimes I feel like I'm crazy for genuinely liking XV.

mcw

Nope, X is a masterpiece. It set the standard for mainstream turn based systems that is still used today by most JRPGs and had a great scenario and is to this day the only FF that nails its ending.

I love that damned game so fucking much, man.

Marcel

Maybe it's because I'm not really a huge FF fan but sometimes I feel like I'm crazy for genuinely liking XV.

There are things to like in the game despite it being a hot mess but it often gets lost in the swirling GAF hate vortex for FFXV, just as FFXII has many problems but they get downplayed by FFXII's stans.

Ummm.. It is totally fine to love FFXV. I know a lot of people who do so, and even most of the newcomers to the series that were introduced through FFXV love it.

It is just the majority here on GAF that just love to shit on the game. They have legitimate reasons but some of them still take their hate too far by calling it 'tech demo' 'early access' and even getting angry of the post-launch support/updates. It is a never ending battle here.

Aeana

Nope, X is a masterpiece. It set the standard for mainstream turn based systems that is still used today by most JRPGs and had a great scenario and is to this day the only FF that nails its ending.

I'd like to press you on this. Which aspects of FF10's combat system do you feel influenced later games? Let's rule out Lord of the Rings: The Third Age which is an obvious FF10 clone.

Gsnap

I feel like a lot of jrpgs made it clear how bad XV is. The combat is pretty weak. The story starts falling apart really quickly and never pulls itself together. The open world is incredibly uninteresting. The side quests suck.

I really want to know what square enix's deal is with final fantasy (and a few other things) and why they can't pull it together. I mean, just compare final fantasy to the xenoblade series. XV was in development hell for nearly 10 years and the product they finally release is an incomplete mess. Monolith Soft will have made 3 games in less time by the time Xenoblade 2 comes out. And those games do so many things better. Xenoblade tells a complete story and has huge varied landscapes and tons of customization. XCX's story isn't as prominent but again the world is so full of life and detail. And you can fly your mech anywhere and land anywhere. The flying car in XV is garbage in comparison. There are several areas you can't fly over, you can only land on the roads, and it'll explode at the slightest touch. The jury's still out Xenoblade 2, but even if it doesn't turn out that great at least it didn't take 10 years to come out.

So what's the deal with Square? Hell even a lot of their other projects are perfectly fine. But they can't pump out a decent FF game to save their lives, when other companies (not just monolith soft) are able to make plenty of jrpgs that are so much more impressive and well put together.

Socivol

It's a great game. I prefer everything about it over XII. You shouldn't feel crazy because your opinions don't mesh with the masses. I've never liked XII it just wasn't for me but I can see how others would enjoy it.

Lynx_7

I'd like to press you on this. Which aspects of FF10's combat system do you feel influenced later games? Let's rule out Lord of the Rings: The Third Age which is an obvious FF10 clone.

I wish it had. I think the only game I've seen with a similar approach was Cyber Sleuth.

silva1991

Indeed it is. I love IX, but X is better in everyday(world, characters, music,combat and subjectively the story)

I said this once and i'll say it again, FFXV shouldn't have been open world. Its so empty and doesn't give you a reason to explore while the best scenes in the game are linear.

If only empty open world was it's only problem. Dragon's Dogma's open world was shitty, but it had a great combat that makes up for it.

I said this once and i'll say it again, FFXV shouldn't have been open world. Its so empty and doesn't give you a reason to explore while the best scenes in the game are linear.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I don't think FF has been a great single player series since it left PS1 so I ultimately don't care what FFs people like or dislike after that one. We're just having discussions.
This is a terrible response. You call out people in the way you do on here and all you can say is you're just 'having discussions'? Nah, the other poster hit the nail on the head.

Marcel

This is a terrible response. You call out people in the way you do on here and all you can say is you're just 'having discussions'? Nah, the other poster hit the nail on the head.

Yeah we're having video game discussions on the video game discussion forum. Is this hard for you or something?

mcw

I feel like a lot of jrpgs made it clear how bad XV is. The combat is pretty weak. The story starts falling apart really quickly and never pulls itself together. The open world is incredibly uninteresting. The side quests suck.

I really want to know what square enix's deal is with final fantasy (and a few other things) and why they can't pull it together. I mean, just compare final fantasy to the xenoblade series. XV was in development hell for nearly 10 years and the product they finally release is an incomplete mess. Monolith Soft will have made 3 games in less time by the time Xenoblade 2 comes out. And those games do so many things better. Xenoblade tells a complete story and has huge varied landscapes and tons of customization. XCX's story isn't as prominent but again the world is so full of life and detail. And you can fly your mech anywhere and land anywhere. The flying car in XV is garbage in comparison. There are several areas you can't fly over, you can only land on the roads, and it'll explode at the slightest touch. The jury's still out Xenoblade 2, but even if it doesn't turn out that great at least it didn't take 10 years to come out.

So what's the deal with Square? Hell even a lot of their other projects are perfectly fine. But they can't pump out a decent FF game to save their lives, when other companies (not just monolith soft) are able to make plenty of jrpgs that are so much more impressive and well put together.

Someday they're gonna crack that nut. They have so much talent over there... Once, I despaired of Square Enix ever being able to compete again, despite the talent there. The past four years since FF14 ARR launched have given me new hope. There are people there that can make amazing things if given the chance, and if a new generation can make good at a company as old as Nintendo, surely Square Enix can manage, right?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Persona 4 is better than 5

giphynlsjw.gif

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Yeah we're having video game discussions on the video game discussion forum. Is this hard for you or something?
Apparently it's hard for you to take responsibility after calling out general groups of GAF and get taken to task about it.

mcw

I have very fond memories of Persona 4 so I feel like I'm gonna be biased when I finally play Persona 5 after my college semester.

I didn't enjoy P4 nearly as much as P3, but I do agree with folks who like it more than P5. That game just didn't know when to quit.

RRockman

Banned
Let's not get all crazy.

I agree with him I'm afraid. When I consider both game's ups and downs I like P4 more overall. Maybe when P5C eventually happens it might dethrone it.

Lol I'm still not done with FF15 yet but it's still been very enjoyable to me. It can't be worse than II in my book.

I've always loved XII and I can't wait to compare it with 15 once I beat both of them.

Muffdraul

For me the key to liking FFXV was A) not really being very interested in it from day 1, because all of my hype went into FFXIII from the moment they were both announced at E3 2006. I assumed that once XIII was out of the way, then I could start to get excited about vsXIII, even though nothing about it really appealed to me. But then B) XIII turned out to be such a disappointing piece of crap that it was the last straw that finally killed my FF boner which I'd had since 1994. And finally C), after being in development hell for an entire decade, I assumed there was no way in hell it could possibly be less of a piece of shit than XIII was... but lo and behold, it wasn't anywhere near that bad. Not even close.

It's all relative. FFXV turned out to be way better than I thought it would be, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. But I always had high hopes for XII since it was first announced in 2002, and while I can admit that its story and characters are pretty weaksauce, everything else about it is stellar in my eyes and I rank it way way above XV. XII haters have never had a clue.

I never played it, so I can't really say for sure, but didn't Lost Odyssey's battle system have a lot of similarities with it? Not really trying to argue his point but I remember having that impression whenever I saw any Lost Odyssey gameplay footage.

MechaX

The story in FFXII is a mess. It starts well but then dives off a cliff.

It's still better than FFXV's story tho

I mean, this is kind of the problem. Outside of XIV, XII really hit home to me that the series has just been on a decline in some very crucial ways since XII.

XV could have bucked things if it was fucking finished properly.

I never played it, so I can't really say for sure, but didn't Lost Odyssey's battle system have a lot of similarities with it? Not really trying to argue his point but I remember having that impression whenever I saw any Lost Odyssey gameplay footage.

Lost Odyssey took more after Shadow Hearts battle system (Timing attacks in a turn based format).

Szadek

Still haven't played XV. It just scream "everything wrong with modern FF games in a nutshell".
Maybe when it's 20 bucks or less.

XII is awesome with the improvements in IZJS/ZA.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

I could be wrong but IIRC FFX was the first turn-based system to let you swap out party members mid-battle if you had them. And while it wasn't the first game to show the upcoming turn order (I know at least Grandia did it first) FFX's presentation of that system influenced many other RPGs after like GUST's output.

I haven't played XV yet, but if the sentiment about the 4 main characters developing a strong bond together through the game is true, then I can't fathom how XII can top it with its nothing story, nothing protagonists, and nothing villains. Even the cool select characters (Fran, Balthear, Basch) couldn't carry the dead-weight that was the rest of that game. :/

aravuus

Indeed it is. I love IX, but X is better in everyday(world, characters, music,combat and subjectively the story)

Not sure why you added "subjectively" in the last one there, since all of these are subjective opinions lol

I think IX beats X in every single way easily, but I'm a bit IX stan and I've kinda started hating a lot of X the more I try to replay it. I loved it when I played it the first time, now it's probably my least favorite 3D FF.

I'm a huge FF fan and I really liked XV. Lots of low lows but just as many high highs. I think it's worth putting up with some of the flaws to get to the really good shit.
If nothing else, it's fun to play, the story is easy to follow(by jrpg standards) and has a very likable party. There's not one single dud character in your group, which is something only the Persona games have been able to do in the last decade or so.

Aeana

I could be wrong but IIRC FFX was the first turn-based system to let you swap out party members mid-battle if you had them. And while it wasn't the first game to show the upcoming turn order (I know at least Grandia did it first) FFX's presentation of that system influenced many other RPGs after like GUST's output.

Yeah, you're wrong. You can swap out characters mid-battle at will in Dragon Quest 4. You can also do it in Breath of Fire 4. You can also do it in SMT, but it does take a turn. In the aforementioned games, it's immediate as in FF10.

Rpgmonkey

The main thing the X and XII remasters remind me of, in addition to a run of FFIII NES I recently did, is that they take me back to when mainline single player FFs used to have some cool and fairly open mechanics that offered you a pretty good amount of control. That’s part of what makes XII’s approach to AI party members interesting to me, if you’re gonna do it, the way they did it feels well within the FF mindset, or at least the mindset the series used to typically have.

XIII and XV feel really constricted with too controlled of an environment compared to nearly all of their predecessors and while they have their moments, the overall encounter design and mechanics don’t hold up as well as those predecessors to me.

FF12 barely has actual characters or story. The characters are as fleshed out as FF1 or FF3. They're barely there.

Balthier and Fran look and sound cool, but that's about as deep as they get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom