• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 Rebirth 89% drop in UK week 2 ("higher side of normal"); Unicorn Overlord debuts at #7 (60% sales on Switch); WWE #1

There was talk not long ago that Nvidia had sold more RTX cards than there were PS5s. On top of this you don't need equivalent hardware to play PS5 games. My buddy has an 8 year old GTX 1080 that plays all the latest games very well and that's slower than the PS5 GPU.

What you don't understand is that PC isn't console, there is no hard cutoff. If a game is made for PS5 it can run on much weaker PCs because the settings can scale lower. I mean the 10 year old GTX 980 still runs many of the latest games and that makes total sense because it's faster than a 1060 which also runs the latest games, that's a card that launched months after the PS4 first launched and it's playing full blown PS5 games the PS4 can't dream of running.

These are next gen exclusive games. Scaling down requires substantial effort or degradation of the experience

JohnnyTropics

Neo Member
Has there ever been a game that was a planned release in three parts?
I'm a huge FF guy, but I haven't even played part 1 yet... much less part 2.
I'm waiting for the entire trilogy to be out, optimized for one platform, patched, and bundled. That could be a good 7-10 years out at this pooint, and I'm fine with that.

Has there ever been a game that was a planned release in three parts?
I'm a huge FF guy, but I haven't even played part 1 yet... much less part 2.
I'm waiting for the entire trilogy to be out, optimized for one platform, patched, and bundled. That could be a good 7-10 years out at this pooint, and I'm fine with that.

Yah, I mentioned this here already... but Part 1 is a 30 hour game. Plat would be 100+. The DLC is another 5 hours+. Part 2 looks like it's longer than Part 1. Who knows about Part 3.

Basically, if you played back-to-back-to-back, you'd never finish it.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I have zero interest in squares latest FF7 cow milk cash grab and I doubt I'm alone in that

Those of us who wanted a proper 1-1 remake are speaking with our wallets

What the "but rebirth is good" crowd fails to understand is it doesn't matter how good afterbirth
allegedly is its still not what we wanted its sounds salty but so be it. fuck that game. FF is dead. Square is dead.

Last edited:
Steam is the highest user base currently and that won't be changing this gen for PS5 per Sony's own expected PS5 lifetime sales. It's 2024 not 2004.
Multiplatform games make more money on console in general. They are more expensive, etc... You only need to have a look at each quarter report from most publishers lol.

Many people have steam for F2P games like CS2 and stuff like that.

These are next gen exclusive games. Scaling down requires substantial effort or degradation of the experience
Nah modern games are made to be scalable. Take a look at Sony's own R&C which runs beautiful on lower end PC hardware and looks great. The same is true for Returnal and the same will be true for Spiderman 2 once it arrives. You can see it in the Insomniac leak that this is how they are developing their games (with scalability and PC in mind).

Last edited:
Multiplatform games make more money on console in general. They are more expensive, etc... You only need to have a look at each quarter report from most publishers lol.

Many people have steam for F2P games like CS2 and stuff like that.
This has traditionally been the case but that has stopped being the case in recent times for many prominent multiplatform games. The Witcher 3, Darks Souls 3, Monster Hunter World, Cyberpunk, hell Cyberpunk had 1) more preorder sales 2) more post launch sales and 3) more Phantom liberty expansion sales on PC than PS5. Capcom makes more money on PC these days so much so they switched their primary platform from Playstation to PC recently (this would have been heresy even 5 years ago!), games like Hogwarts Legacy popped off massively on PC, the massively popular Elden Ring sold more on PC than PS5. The list goes on.

This isn't 2003, Steam is a behemoth these days and the problem is that it only continues to grow unlike consoles. Considering how the PS5 will never catch up and the console market has not grown in total users in over a decade (PS4s growth over PS4 came from syphoning Xbox 360 users who got a PS4 over an Xbox 1 and the PS5 is expected to sell slightly less than PS4 so no growth in users) it's easy to see how games on Steam are selling so much more than they did 10 years ago and even back then Dark Souls 1 sold very well when the Steam user base was so much smaller so Elden Rings explosive sales comparably do make sense.

Guilty_AI

This has traditionally been the case but that has stopped being the case in recent times for many prominent multiplatform games. The Witcher 3, Darks Souls 3, Monster Hunter World, Cyberpunk, hell Cyberpunk had 1) more preorder sales 2) more post launch sales and 3) more Phantom liberty expansion sales on PC than PS5. Capcom makes more money on PC these days so much so they switched their primary platform from Playstation to PC recently (this would have been heresy even 5 years ago!), games like Hogwarts Legacy popped off massively on PC, the massively popular Elden Ring sold more on PC than PS5. The list goes on.
Tbf there is variation based on genre and series. PC playerbase tends to prefer more gameplay focused games, as well as stuff like traditional RPGs and shooters. FF7 probably wouldn't have sold more on PC than on ps5.

Tbf there is variation based on genre and series. PC playerbase tends to prefer more gameplay focused games, as well as stuff like traditional RPGs and shooters. FF7 probably wouldn't have sold more on PC than on ps5.
Yeap and to be fair FF has never been given the chance, it always launches late on PC. Games that release late on PC rarely do as well as simultaneous launches because the marketing money used for simultaneous releases is massive and the marketing spending used for a late PC release is understandably small. Helldivers 2 never would have sold as much as it did on PC had it launched 1-2 years from now.

Not sure if anyone has posted this, but after one day, it was the second-most downloaded game on PS5 for the month of February in the USA and EU (behind only the gangbusters Helldivers).

R05FhdX.png
Suicide Squad number 3? Are you kidding me…

Top Bottom