• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 Rebirth 89% drop in UK week 2 ("higher side of normal"); Unicorn Overlord debuts at #7 (60% sales on Switch); WWE #1

Same ol G

Incredibly dumb takes because of it.
As if the game could run on Switch or it would sell anything meaningful on Xbox.
PC version is coming and nothing prevents it after a 3 months exclusive.

But the issue is that this game is a direct sequel.
It's catering to the same group of fans and being a sequel they're not attracting new players.
Square Enix partially knew it hence the digital Twin package where the first part is given for free.
It is still selling in line with FFXVI, probably a bit more worldwide.
In the past we had data points about how FF sequels were doing, like FFX-2, FFXIII-2 and Lightning returns and the drops were unfortunately obvious.

Thers an important factor regarding FF7 Rebirth physical vs digital. The digital version has the Twin Pack that includes the 1st game for free.
EAgz8xp.jpg

Please stop spreading lies, the game is definitely not free

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Nobody does this type of exclusivity anymore. Rise of the Tomb Raider comes to mind where Xbox paid to get it removed from other systems. That was long time ago.
The thing with Rise of the Tomb Raider is that TR was also associated with PS and they got cut out of it, hence the lower than expected sales. Probably SE asked a lot from MS.

The thing with FF now is that the demographics are mainly on PS consoles, so even if Xbox got cut out of FF, it's not a major blow to them if they're compensated enough.

Plus really, the demographics of FF are on PS, PC, and Switch, not Xbox.

Sometimes I feel like people are way overestimating Xbox's popularity wherein reality, it's not popular.

GHG

That doesn't change the fact that the game is not free.
That was a preorder bonus and is not available anymore, everybody now looking to buy the game will be paying full price.

The point was that there is the possibility that there may have been an outsized number of digital pre-orders for the game.

The thing with Rise of the Tomb Raider is that TR was also associated with PS and they got cut out of it, hence the lower than expected sales. Probably SE asked a lot from MS.

The thing with FF now is that the demographics are mainly on PS consoles, so even if Xbox got cut out of FF, it's not a major blow to them if they're compensated enough.

Sometimes I feel like people are way overestimating Xbox's popularity wherein reality, it's not popular.

It's a vocal minority. So much so that their very own platform doesn't see them as a sufficient and sustainable audience moving forward.

Last edited:

Aenima

EAgz8xp.jpg

Please stop spreading lies, the game is definitely not free
Didnt knew the price raised after the pre-order period, thats when i checked the prices and it was indeed free. So now its still 20€ cheaper than buying both games separately.

Edited my original post, so no more lies detected :messenger_tongue:

Last edited:

Woopah

Sure, but to take these numbers and go "clearly this wouldn't happen if they went turn based/ didn't make so many bad games" Or some other gameplay critique is just dumb.

This is an issue with releasing PS5 games in Japan not an issue with the state of the brand or its gameplay..
Agreed. It's not a reflection of the game's quality.

I hope Rebirth is selling a fuckton digitally, it’s such a fantastic game, it’ll break my heart if the third and final title has its budget slashed :(

Tomb Raider was associated with PlayStation because Sony signed a deal to make it exclusive. So it was very silly for people to be salty that an exclusive deal was now keeping it off PlayStation. It’s silly to get salty about any deal. If you aren’t a fan of the deal, don’t buy the game or buy it down the line when the deal ends.

Tomb Raider was also the last time Xbox got any huge third party deal that I can think of, and Nintendo typically funds the games they snag as exclusives, so idk why people are trying to play victim like PlayStation gets persecuted for doing the same thing the others do.

Knightsoftheround

Neo Member
When are people going to learn that UK physical sales mean absolutely nothing. The country is like 60 percent digital overall.

It's no 2 best selling playstation downloads for Feb and it was out for one day. With the positive word of mouth it's getting I'm pretty sure it will sell ok

When you have a massive amount of games on the market and your franchise alienates a large swath of core consumers, there can be no surprise when a new iteration of that game doesn't perform all that well...

I'll buy FF7 Rebirth eventually and I hope I'll enjoy it, but do I need to buy it now and pay 70 bucks for it? No, I don't. I'll enjoy it just as much for 40-50 dollars in 3-6 months. Or even wait 2 years for it to drop on PS+ if my PS+ subscription goes that far.

Backward compatibility especially with enhancements simply means that the backlog within a catalog continues to grow massively.

Even if a game is a 90 at 70 dollars it has to compete with 90s that someone hasn't played yet that are free, 30-40-50 dollars.

So you have to make the case that a game HAS to be played at launch. It's not like the theater experience vs home video. It's the exact same experience, but if you wait a year to play a game it'll be cheaper, have fewer bugs, and might have additional DLC/content. With the PS5 Pro, it might perform significantly better...

Everything the game industry has done from subscription services, to dlc, to releasing buggy games, to releasing mid gen hardware, to remakes/remasters tells you to wait to play games later.

Was Cyberpunk better to play in 2020 or today? Only physical media I've purchased in the last 7+ years because it was on sale at best buy for 10 dollars because they were desperate to get rid of the physical copies. Haven't even opened the case.

I got Horizon Forbidden West for free with PS+ and I haven't even installed it.

I just got Sifu for free as well as Plague Tale Requiem. I bought Stardew Valley for 15 dollars.

I've got HOURS of gaming on my plate, what has Square Enix done to entice me to play FF7 rebirth TODAY? They made my favorite RPG franchise into an action game.

I only buy a few games day 1 and at least half the time I regret it. Not necessarily because the game is bad but because I could have waited, bought it for cheaper and in better condition.

Launch is the WORST time to play a game.

Ozriel

M$FT
Could FF7:Rebirth run on the Switch 2?

Remake runs very decently on a Steamdeck and PS4. FFXVI was originally going to be cross-gen.
Of course a down port of Rebirth would work just fine on a Switch 2.

I've never seen this kind of bitching and concern about sales figures when the game is a Switch or Xbox exclusive.

Yeah, let’s not get carried away here

Last edited:
Tomb Raider was associated with PlayStation because Sony signed a deal to make it exclusive. So it was very silly for people to be salty that an exclusive deal was now keeping it off PlayStation. It’s silly to get salty about any deal. If you aren’t a fan of the deal, don’t buy the game or buy it down the line when the deal ends.

Tomb Raider was also the last time Xbox got any huge third party deal that I can think of, and Nintendo typically funds the games they snag as exclusives, so idk why people are trying to play victim like PlayStation gets persecuted for doing the same thing the others do.

They bit the hand that feeds them with Tomb Raider and the franchise has never recovered. A lot of that has happened with Square Enix as well.

These companies don't know that they don't need to just sell games and franchises, but they need to build userbases. The reason why rpgs sold so well on PS1 and even PS2 was that all rpg fans bought those consoles to play RPGs on. Not only did this boost top selling games but it made less known franchises more likely to sell well.

People were salty because they bought a PlayStation and supported a franchise and then suddenly the franchise went to a different system. They were entirely entitled to do so, but people were also entitled not to support the franchise after that, and it's clearly been significantly diminished since then after really hitting a new peak after the reboot.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
btw it seems to be doing great on ps stores all around the world in feb and with just 1 day counted on the market. 2nd and only behind HD2 on both NA and EU. 1st spot in Japan!

Remake runs very decently on a Steamdeck and PS4. FFXVI was originally going to be cross-gen.

People are complaining about the performance running on PS5 though...

I think there is a bit of hypocrisy when it comes to the Switch and what the Switch 2 will possibly be.

I don't see anyone out here arguing in favor of games going to PS4/PS4 Pro, yet we'll argue in favor of a diminished port to Switch 2?

Bernardougf

Gold Member
I guess people still overestimate as usual the quality of these FF games ... from XIII to now ... I've played them all and they are high production AAA poor to mediocre games, with XV being an abomination , XVI a plain action game with FF brand slapped into it and VII remake that is not a remake is a continuation/multiverse bullshit with a gameplay that cant decide wtf it wants to be and therefore dont excel in anything.

I didnt play rebirth and dont intend to until is free or very very cheap.

In the meantime I played some AA turnbased jrpgs that are miles better and much more fun to play that these bloated FF main titles.

FF is not good it hasn't been good for a long time and not amount of metacritic scores is going to change that.

SE should stop trying to much to reinvent themselves all the freacking time, and make a FF with a simple hero story turnbased classic jrpg with lower budget and less bloat and see wtf happens. Go back to your roots... and remake/Rebirth are not it.

Xbox has nothing to do with it. Release it on multiple platforms. Whatever you think is viable.

And since you are Japanese company with a decidedly Japanese fanbase, release a potato Switch version as well. That’s your punishment for loosing out to mobile/ portables in your home country.

Beechos

The hardcore fans bought the game and everyone else who bought the 1st one prob forgot about the 2nd since its been so long between release.

ProtoByte

You're not arguing in good faith.
What? Lol
There's nothing preventing remakes from selling exceedingly well. And I suspect FF7R will, with time.
Don't you think timenhas already proven that FF's nostalgia power isn't as strong as one might think? RE Remakes have more staying power.

And "generic looking games?" Firs,t FF16 isn't generic looking.
Dude, come on. At first and second glance, it looks like standard medieval fantasy. Nice change in visual identity for FF, but clearly not mass appeal.

Second, there's plenty of generic looking games that have sold exceptionally well.
FF clearly doesn't have that privilege. That's not my decision or yours, that's just how it is.

I think FF is in the same position that Resident evil was when RE7 released.

That game didn't do too well out the gate either perhaps because that Franchise was in a rough spot as well.

There was concern then about RE long term sales but with time it ended being one of Capcom best selling games and revitalised the series.

Hopefully FFVII Rebirth has a similar effect with Final Fantasy. I Bloody hope so! The game is magical and I was hoping it's success would get square back on track, I guess we will see!

Spyxos

Gold Member
Final Fantasy 16 could have hurt Rebirts sales. I'm still struggling to get through 16, and after that I need a longer break until I want to play another FF.

Ozriel

M$FT
People are complaining about the performance running on PS5 though...

I think there is a bit of hypocrisy when it comes to the Switch and what the Switch 2 will possibly be.

I don't see anyone out here arguing in favor of games going to PS4/PS4 Pro, yet we'll argue in favor of a diminished port to Switch 2?

People are arguing about the performance mode on PS5. Isn’t the Quality mode quite solid?

There’s no real hypocrisy here. The game has to run 1080p 30fps on a Switch 2 with some visual cutbacks. I’ll be surprised if they don’t have faster I/O than the PS4 and it’ll definitely have a more powerful CPU and more memory bandwidth.

What is for sure is that when the Switch 2 arrives, it’ll immediately become the primary focus for Japanese developers.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Final Fantasy 16 could have hurt Rebirts sales. I'm still struggling to get through 16, and after that I need a longer break until I want to play another FF.
Only remake could’ve “hurt” rebirth considering it’s a direct sequel…

But enough with the doom and gloom like I’ve said it’s doing fire on the ps store all around the globe I think there’s no need for concern anymore.

Last edited:
People are arguing about the performance mode on PS5. Isn’t the Quality mode quite solid?

There’s no real hypocrisy here. The game has to run 1080p 30fps on a Switch 2 with some visual cutbacks. I’ll be surprised if they don’t have faster I/O than the PS4 and it’ll definitely have a more powerful CPU and more memory bandwidth.

What is for sure is that when the Switch 2 arrives, it’ll immediately become the primary focus for Japanese developers.

I think that's a big assumption. So much will depend on the price and the rate of adoption.

I think most games will continue to be cross-platform so that they work on Switch and Switch 2.

Edmund

Yeah, let’s not get carried away here
I'm still waiting for Lost Odyssey.

Edmund

Ah yes when the Switch 2 arrives, there'll be around 70m + PS5 around but Japanese devs will immediately focus on the Switch 2. You're so full of shit.

Last edited:

neoism

I agree these figures don't look good and could be a bad sign.
But it seems extremely important to bear in mind

image.png

The only game we know it lost against in Japan, is the biggest launch in Japan to date. Ofcourse we need to see holds but these are extremely good numbers..
lol it sold a shit load on digital.. they just make it soo fucking hard to even get physical day one i had to call 2 walmarts and gamestop didnt open until 12 that day lol didn't the digital version even release 2 hours early on the 28th? the only place i buy digital is steam but why do they fucking make it soo hard to even get a disc... hell i got it on amazon also and it was 2 days late... :/

IAmRei

FF7R would not run on the switch.

Depend, its depend on the developer themselves. Remember witcher 3, skyrim, doom? They could if they want it. They just not want it or they dont have any luxury to port it or to develop it in switch platform, or they dont have budget or time for porting to switch.

Depend, its depend on the developer themselves. Remember witcher 3, skyrim, doom? They could if they want it. They just not want it or they dont have any luxury to port it or to develop it in switch platform, or they dont have budget or time for porting to switch.

FFVII RE barely runs on PS5, it's crazy to think of a Switch port, which is TWO generations behind.

Square themselves said that PS5 hardware was key for development, a small detail some seem to forget. They also explained why there is no PC port from the get-go, this "exclusivity" rant is nonsense. It will come to PC later on, as every other.

Switch and XBOX are out for solid reasons. (hardware/sales)

Same ol G

Didnt knew the price raised after the pre-order period, thats when i checked the prices and it was indeed free. So now its still 20€ cheaper than buying both games separately.

Edited my original post, so no more lies detected :messenger_tongue:
Hahaha that's quite funny.
Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

It was indeed a preorder bonus so everyone who bought it afterwards payed the full price.

Same ol G

The point was that there is the possibility that there may have been an outsized number of digital pre-orders for the game.

It's a vocal minority. So much so that their very own platform doesn't see them as a sufficient and sustainable audience moving forward.
If that was your point, i can understand your reasoning.
I don't necessarily agree with that but the only way to know is actual numbers.
I don't believe that digital is significantly higher cause FF7 is already a game for the fanbase and it was only a digital promotion, the fans already bought the first game and don't care for a digital version of the same game.
At least that's what i think, i also believe most FF fans would rather have physical (older generation)

Last edited:

DrFigs

I think it would be hard to pull off on the switch, but also it looks less and less like Square's partnership w/ PS is good for them. so maybe they should be making less graphically intensive games that run on all platforms. I'm just saying in terms of the game they actually made, it's hard for me to believe they'd be able to run it on the switch anyways.

Some people really hate this game, huh?
You need to have played 7 Remake to play Rebirth or you wouldn't know what the fuck is going on. You don't need to do that with 16.
Is not about hate. Rebirth is supposed to be the big game of 2024 for the PS5, and i pretty sure that Square or Sony (Or the fans of the franchise) didn’t expect lower sales than FFXVI.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
When are people going to learn that UK physical sales mean absolutely nothing. The country is like 60 percent digital overall.

It's no 2 best selling playstation downloads for Feb and it was out for one day. With the positive word of mouth it's getting I'm pretty sure it will sell ok
People like to spin numbers every which way they can. I remember seeing Italy sales numbers for some game. Like, who gives a fuck.

Hudo

I bought Unicorn Overlord on Switch as well (Physical version). Would double dip for a PC version, tho.

Top Bottom