• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 Remake looking at FFXIII saga as model for release, possible plot changes

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
realistically i know that they will not be able to resist shoehorning every possible reference to their ff7 fanfiction into the remake, even though i continue to hope that they wont.

Trace

Banned
Not to mention that each 60$ part will be around only 30 hours. Other companies can put out a full length rpg in less time then ffxv. How many tales of games alone have come out in durring ffxv development time? Your telling me you can even release a remake as a single game in less then 10 years?

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

That 30 hours doesn't count as a full game, that $60 is too expensive for a 30 hour game, that the Tales Of games have anywhere similar development cycles to FFXV, that the FFVII remake should be one game or that you think it'll take them ten years to make.

Pick one.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
realistically i know that they will not be able to resist shoehorning every possible reference to their ff7 fanfiction into the remake, even though i continue to hope that they wont.

Can it be fanfiction if the guy who wrote the original is responsible? He even said compilation was a lot of what he wanted to include in some way to begin with.

People have to get used to the reality that compilation is apart of FF7 and isn't going anywhere. It doesn't matter if you don't personally like it, they aren't going to not include it. Especially Crisis core stuff.

Of course i'm bias cause i thought Crisis core and AC were pretty good extensions of the mythos, whereas i am happy seeing FFX-3 novel burned and never mentioned again, but who cares

A-V-B

Can it be fanfiction if the guy who wrote the original is responsible? He even said compilation was a lot of what he wanted to include in some way to begin with.

So basically Kitase during FFVII was M Night Shyamalan before he got too powerful for people to say no to?

And now Kitase is powerful...

Shit. Nice knowing you, FFVII. Enjoy your sanity-check-free addons that'll drag you into the abyss.

If they're redoing both the combat and the story then why call it ff7

This just sounds like they're using the ff7 IP to milk it for 3 games (then probably discard it like a used cartridge)

edit: I bet they'll absolutely butcher the original soundtrack as well.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I kind of mentioned it before, but what exactly can they actually add in from the compilation that would be of any significance? Basically everything from AC is entirely post FF7, there's nothing to reference there maybe beyond making it more obvious Rufus lived.

And Crisis Core is not Cloud's story, it wouldn't make much sense to reference that beyond better fitting the scenes Nibelheim events/flashbacks to those from CC (I don't even recall the changes there being huge).

Do the other FF7 spinoffs have more significant retcons that would alter the story more?

Sacul64GC

Banned
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

That 30 hours doesn't count as a full game, that $60 is too expensive for a 30 hour game, that the Tales Of games have anywhere similar development cycles to FFXV, that the FFVII remake should be one game or that you think it'll take them ten years to make.

Pick one.

Im saying that ff7 remake should be a single game and no way in hell should that take them 10 years to make. I do not want to spend 60$ a pop on 3 games that only have 30 hours of content. Other companies can make a full rpg in a normal development cycle so why cant square?

Lynx_7

I kind of mentioned it before, but what exactly can they actually add in from the compilation that would be of any significance?
Anything involving Genesis.

I think people's contempt of the compillation also has a lot to do with tone and presentation rather than just the content itself. Like how Crisis Core turned Zack into a superhero whereas he was portrayed as a fairly "normal" soldier in FF7. They basically took every aspect of VII and turned it up to eleven.

Aters

Im saying that ff7 remake should be a single game and no way in hell should that take them 10 years to make. I do not want to spend 60$ a pop on 3 games that only have 30 hours of content. Other companies can make a full rpg in a normal development cycle so why cant square?

Well maybe because they look at Mass Effect and say: why can other developers make three games out of a story while we have to cram everthing into one game?

Because 30 Hours of actually designed content is extremely expensive given the production values that they're aiming for and the set pieces that they seem to want. It's also 30 hours of content, that's a great amount of stuff if it has some thought put into it.

A-V-B

I think people's contempt of the compillation also has a lot to do with tone and presentation rather than just the content itself. Like how Crisis Core turned Zack into a superhero whereas he was portrayed as a fairly "normal" soldier in FF7. They basically took every aspect of VII and turned it up to eleven.

Not just up to eleven, but a very pop-star magazine eleven.

I don't have the article in front of me, but I could read the OP to mean that each installment is full length, not necessarily that precisely 3 games are confirmed. Unless I'm missing something.

Correct the article does not explicitly say its 3 games. Just that there are multiple, they are full length, and will be the size of a FFXIII game each.

Could be 2, 3, or 4

saturnine

If content does not include garbage stories with retconning out the wazoo and terrible new characters, yeah sure.

Oh, and some godawful character design too, courtesy of Nomura. That one might fall under tone and presentation though.

Contempt is the right word. The "Compilation" is an embarrassment, and if it really stems from the "minds" of FF7, it simply shows how important Sakaguchi was.

Beth Cyra

I kind of mentioned it before, but what exactly can they actually add in from the compilation that would be of any significance? Basically everything from AC is entirely post FF7, there's nothing to reference there maybe beyond making it more obvious Rufus lived.

And Crisis Core is not Cloud's story, it wouldn't make much sense to reference that beyond better fitting the scenes Nibelheim events/flashbacks to those from CC (I don't even recall the changes there being huge).

Do the other FF7 spinoffs have more significant retcons that would alter the story more?
Before Crisis had some Cloud stuff and gives a hint that he is special amount everyone else when he picks up and weilds a sword.

Inuhanyou

So basically Kitase during FFVII was M Night Shyamalan before he got too powerful for people to say no to?

And now Kitase is powerful...

Shit. Nice knowing you, FFVII. Enjoy your sanity-check-free addons that'll drag you into the abyss.

Did you actually go back and look at FF7 itself? Story wasn't written all that well in the first place, and really had a layer of dimension added onto it i thought, with the compilation.

If content does not include garbage stories with retconning out the wazoo and terrible new characters, yeah sure.

Oh, and some godawful character design too, courtesy of Nomura. That one might fall under tone and presentation though.

Contempt is the right word. The "Compilation" is a embarrassment, and if it really stems from the "minds" of FF7, it simply shows how important Sakaguchi was.

Except you know, a lot of people also liked Crisis core and AC, and what they added to the lore, so its not an objective thing.

If there are people who dislike the compilation, that's perfectly acceptable. My point is that its just stupid to think that they would not include it in any remake they would ever potentially do, you did it to yourselves thinking otherwise.

It should have been common knowledge.

saturnine

Did you actually go back and look at FF7 itself? Story wasn't written all that well in the first place, and really had a layer of dimension added onto it i thought, with the compilation.

Except you know, a lot of people also liked Crisis core and AC, and what they added to the lore, so its not an objective thing.

If there are people who dislike the compilation, that's perfectly acceptable. My point is that its just stupid to think that they would not include it in any remake they would ever potentially do, you did it to yourselves thinking otherwise.

It should have been common knowledge.

Of course they will include it, I just hope they keep it to a strict minimum.
My main beef isn't even with CC or AC. AC was just dumb and CC was eh.
I just don't want to see Hojo transform into a being of pure energy and upload himself to the internet.
I don't want to hear a single utterance of the word Deepground and how there's a city under midgar full of super soldiers wearing jockstraps on their faces that can enter the matrix and the negazone.
I don't want Vincent to secretly be an avatar of the planet for when doomsday comes for realsies this time.

I just want the truly heinous parts to be left in the closet.
And by that I mean DoC.

Inuhanyou

Of course they will include it, I just hope they keep it to a strict minimum.
My main beef isn't even with CC or AC. AC was just dumb and CC was eh.
I just don't want to see Hojo transform into a being of pure energy and upload himself to the internet.
I don't want to hear a single utterance of the word Deepground and how there's a city under midgar full of super soldiers wearing jockstraps on their faces that can enter the matrix and the negazone.
I don't want Vincent to secretly be an avatar of the planet for when doomsday comes for realsies this time.

I just want the truly heinous parts to be left in the closet.
And by that I mean DoC.

I don't think anyone really wants to mention DoC again anyway honestly. Exploring the mysteries of the world in concept was a great idea, buuut....yeah, i think giving it the DMC2 treatment would be an obvious course of action.

Exodust

Banned
The FF7 compilation shit just reminds me of the Star Wars EU shit. The vast majority of the people into it the movie/game don't give a fuck about it, so why use it?

Of course it'll be present, much to my chagrin, but I'm hoping for it to be as low of a presence as possible even though I really liked Crisis Core overall.

I hated what they did with Zack's death. In FF7 it was suppose to be a sudden dark grim death.

In FF7 CC, it was so melodramatic and cheesy. They sent like hundreds of soldier and a chopper at the guy. That's overkill.

The original scene also fits better with Cloud's unstable mind. He was incoherent before that and then he snapped upon seeing Zack's dead body. It really sells the idea. In CC, he freaking has a conversation with him. That doesn't sell the idea that Cloud was mentally unstable as well as the original scene.

A-V-B

FF7 wasn't Shakespeare by any stretch, but it was simple, fun, and dramatic when it needed to be. In short, it was entertaining and made me care. That's all I really ever ask for.

liquidtmd

Banned
I hated what they did with Zack's death. In FF7 it was suppose to be a sudden dark grim death.

In FF7 CC, it was so melodramatic and cheesy. They sent like hundreds of soldier and a chopper at the guy. That's overkill.

The original scene also fits better with Cloud's unstable mind. He was incoherent before that and then he snapped upon seeing Zack's dead body. It really sells the idea. In CC, he freaking has a conversation with him. That doesn't sell the idea that Cloud was mentally unstable as well as the original scene.

Exactly this.

What worked perfectly for me in the original just lost its impact and context when elaborated on.

For all its cheese, the original FFVII was full of subtle moments and not just in the larger story beats. I sincerely hope the team have restraint and take note from the Bible of Goldblum - just because they can now add a thousand soldiers and helicopters in a scene doesn't mean they necessarily should.

Exodust

Banned
FF7 was a fun anime, FF7C is fanfiction by the guy who thought FF7 is deep.

Also Asshole Cloud from OG FF7 >> Emo Git they replaced him with in the other stuff.

Carn82

I can see Episode 1 being all Midgar, if it was around 20 hours.

All they really need is to expand it with a few more areas and have a bit more exposition.

So here's what we have in the original game:

-Opening Bombing Mission
-Sector 7 Slums/Tifa's Bar
-Sector 5 Reactor
-Sector 5/Aeris' house
-Wall Market
-Sewers/Train Graveyard
-Plate Drop & aftermath
-Shinra Building
-Escape from Midgar

Here's some possible additions/changes:

-More time in Sector 7 before the Sector 5 reactor. Flesh out slums life a bit before we jump right into another reactor mission. I think this would be a good change. Let me be clear - I'm talking having an extra hour or two of gameplay at this point with more stuff to do in the area.

-Big change - CITY ABOVE THE PLATE. I have no idea if you get to explore the above plate world in Crisis Core or Dirge, but I think it'd be a great addition to the Midgar part of FFVII. Make it so when you climb to reach the Shinra Tower, you come out in a completely different area. A plate top town. And you get to see how the people are reacting. It's probably better if this leads into a more thoroughly planned version of breaking into the Shinra HQ than just walking in the door.

-Introduce Sephiroth earlier. I think they can intersperse the earlier parts with more references to him. When we get into Shinra HQ, either have everyone actually witness him killing President Shinra, or see him shortly afterwards.

-Intersperse the Kalm exposition a bit earlier, or perhaps even end the episode with a condensed version of it. It doesn't necessarily need to happen in Kalm. It could be that we encounter Sephiroth on the escape from Midgar and that prompts some flashbacks to end the game as everyone ventures out of the city.

Obviously they can do more by just having totally new left field stuff here and there too. The type of changes I've mentioned could easily add about 5 hours or so and that's without shaking things up much.

Some good points. I do think that a 'part 1' could/should end with the first Jenova fight on the boat towards Costa del Sol (or everyone arriving there); by that time the stakes are a bit more raised.

BlackJimmy

Neo Member
Act 1 as you describe it is less than 10% of the entire game. I know they said they were going to put effort into expanding the opening Midgar portion of the game for the Remake, but yeah... Having from Midgar to Kalm be 30% of the game would be a pretty wild change.

I'd be cool having game one be a big "AVALANCHE vs Shinra Inc" game.
Not only can you expand the conflict, but you could develop the rest of AVALANCHE and the general dynamic of the team.

Personally I'd rather the journey to Kalm happen between games 1 and 2, with game 1 ending as they climb down from the highway and game 2 starting with Cloud telling his backstory in Kalm.

Not to mention that each 60$ part will be around only 30 hours. Other companies can put out a full length rpg in less time then ffxv. How many tales of games alone have come out in durring ffxv development time? Your telling me you can even release a remake as a single game in less then 10 years?
Why 30 hours?
They made the comparison to the FF XIII trilogy. I haven't played XIII 2 or Lightening Returns, but XIII was much more than 30 hours.

edotlee

I'm fairly sure SE could pump out FFVII in the same time as a Tales of game... if you want it to have Tales of-type quality. Though, I don't know why anyone would want that.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Good things take time, and don't get me wrong I love Tales of and Star Ocean, but Final Fantasy is another thing entirely and needs the development time and resources. I can wait as long as it takes.

Really looking forward to Midgar in particular.

hwateber

I like the three act idea.

Act 1 is the Opening until the team leaves Midgar.
Act 2 is exploring the world until Cloud
hands over the Black Materia and Aeris/Aerith is killed.
Act 3 is Cloud's
awakening
and the end of the game.

Simple, really.

They can cram so much into that. The Turks show up across all three games, Cid, Red XIII, Yuffie and Vincent don't arrive until game 2, the WEAPONS don't arrive until the end of game 2, the Golden Saucer and Costa Del Sol are relaxation points, etc., etc.

Hmmm. I was already excited before, but now I'm getting kinda hyped beyond what I should be.
I actually really like this split. Even if part one seems short, they can do a lot to build up the members of AVALANCHE.

Top Bottom