• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXI in 2017

I consider FFXI 2006-2012 to be one of the best experiences of my life. It was fantastic. Every single day was fantastic. I know it was just a video game but it felt like a whole other world - living, breathing, with a community.

It's the reason I can't play it now. I haven't played since then, but I imagine it's an empty husk of what it once was.

FFXIV is really poor in comparison.

pooptest

The sleepy NM hunting guy fought my thief one on one in that PVP mode. I was able to kill him easily. He then begged for a rematch and riddled me with ninjutsu spells to eat shadows and because I can't dodge magic :(

SGzw8EP.jpg

I started to say I wished I dropped thief early on like the other people I met in game as thief bros 4 life (traitors), but I'm glad I stuck with it. Evasion king, bloody bolts, status bolts, flee, it was a nice job for me. Ninja looks darn cool, and could wear god gear though :(

One of the best farming jobs ended up being DNC/THF, especially when people were doing all those solo Dynamis farming runs. Great evasion, self-cure, self-haste, add'l dmg on hit, etc. That was kind of a fun job, too.

Ploid 3.0

Oh man, those self-skillchains with DNC were awesome.

Unrelated, but I started playing WAY back when Penta-Thrust was broken. It had like 60%+ TP return. It was crazy. Nerfed in 2004... RIP :(

I heard about that, crazy stuff. I also play Sam and loved it. So many awesome jobs, I loved FFXI's gameplay, sigh.

Azuran

Banned
Reaching Sea was one of the greatest moments in existence. Promyvion was a pain in the ass but the real roadblock for me was that Tenzen fight in the airship. I couldn't get through that jerk for months until my friends and I got lucky one day.

However, my all-time favorite moment was the the time we managed to defeat Angra Mainyu, the boss of Dynamis Beaucedine by getting lucky as fuck. Basically, he killed everyone in our party by spamming Death which results in a complete wipe and a waste of time considering we spent hours farming for the key items to pop it:

You can tell by our reactions we were super pissed about the outcome. Then suddently out of nowhere the boss drops dead and we get the key item that signifies our win and well, I'll let the chat speak for itself:

That entire night was insane and perfectly shows why people look back at this game so fondly. Moments like this just can't be replicated in other games.

God, FFXI was truly the greatest.

Taruranto

^Aw, back then fights were actually fights and not a "simon says" game, good times.

I think my fondest FFXI memories are doing CoP with my static, we meet randomly during a Promy and we ended up forming a static of four people and beat Promathia together. We were of different nationalities (Except one person who was in my same LS) and the tank didn't even speak english properly, but we still did it. I still remember their names.

Ferr986

Reaching Sea was one of the greatest moments in existence. Promyvion was a pain in the ass but the real roadblock for me was that Tenzen fight in the airship. I couldn't get through that jerk for months until my friends and I got lucky one day.

However, my all-time favorite moment was the the time we managed to defeat Angra Mainyu, the boss of Dynamis Beaucedine by getting lucky as fuck. Basically, he killed everyone in our party by spamming Death which results in a complete wipe and a waste of time considering we spent hours farming for the key items to pop it:

You can tell by our reactions we were super pissed about the outcome. Then suddently out of nowhere the boss drops dead and we get the key item that signifies our win and well, I'll let the chat speak for itself:

That entire night was insane and perfectly shows why people look back at this game so fondly. Moments like this just can't be replicated in other games.

You made me remind of Dynamis Lord, man that was messy.

You basically did the run normal and when reaching the boss, everyone warped back and put a subjob able to stun. And then it was about killing him fast while people took turns on Stun. If someone missed a stun it was almost game over lol

FFXI at its prime was an amazing experience providing you had enough time to actually get through the rather harsh progression curve.

I think they went overboard with Absolute Virtue though, but up to that point things were really good.

elyetis

That's really cool to go through a piece of gaming history like that and experience it for the first time.

It's too bad they never seem to put FFXI on sale, likely to push potential sales towards XIV.
I think FFXI get a sale once a year for the anniversary, that's usually when I'm tempted to come back. I just need to convince my brother and/or some old friends to do that jump with me...

It wouldn't be to go back to the new end game and all, just trying to do many of the things we never did, mostly when it comes to story lines and some of the old boss.

That being said my favorite part of ffxi isn't really a thing anymore, since leveling was pretty much my favorite part of the game. Now to be fair I did like the pace, I did like the fact you did it as a group for good result, but it doesn't mean it was perfect, LFP time was often infuriating, and if no healer or tank were up you just couldn't do anything about it, the fact that there was a limited amount of good leveling spot didn't help either. That and the elitist attitude of the community leading to some jobs never getting any invite really really pissed me off.

KeRaSh

Haha wow! That sounded crazy! So many memories.
I remember when CoP came out and we did one of the Promyvion areas with a japanese Linkshell that took my noob ass in. Great people. So they ran through it with their static and barely beat it. My brother and I waited outside. Then they took us through it. We wiped at the boss... Spent 4 hours and at the end I had absolutely nothing to show for it. I was soooo pissed but that was FFXI in a nutshell. It didn't hold you hand and it was very unforgiving but boy was it an adventure.

I remember finally finding a party to go through Zilart Mission 4 and the next day we blasted through the rest of the missions until we got Sky access. I was so proud at the end of it.

I remember running through Yuhtunga and Yhoater Jungle so fucking often that I didn't need to look at the map anymore.

I remember soloing a ton of content as a DRG/WHM.

I remember getting a bunch of people from my Linkshell together to kill a Wyvern in Ifrit's Cauldron so I can get my Gae Bolg.

I still listen to the music every now and then. The music in The Sanctuary or Zi'tah still haunts me.

This is the game of my life. Nothing will ever come close to it. Hopefully the mobile version can bring some of those memories back. I really, really hope it does.

elyetis

Wasn't sure I still had screenshot, but I still found some of the shot I took when I tried to run a CoP group in hope to finaly get access to Sea.

Story line was great, fight were hard. But I was late to the CoP party, it was done after Treasures of Aht Urhgan, maybe even wing of goddess I'm not sure. Meaning everyone I knew already did it, and shouting for hours at Aht Urhgan was pretty much fruitless.
In the end I was only able to setup that group using ffxiah checking every player stuck at the same mission as me then trying to contact them ingame.
It did work, but we were all from different country, meaning that the schedule was hard to setup, then the usual problem of people having missed speaking to a given npc or something, etc... ultimately made the group crumble.

Dr. Lame

Neo Member
I can hear it now-- the distinctive piano melody that plays after you sign in to PlayOnline.

Is there a legitimate way to get the soundtrack for this game? And does it include the PlayOnline music? =P

Yep! There are several soundtracks for XI. In addition to the Original Soundtrack, there are individual soundtracks for each expansion. And yes...one of the soundtracks includes all of the Playonline music. That would be the "Original Soundtrack - Plus". You can get it on CD or through iTunes, and other places as well I'd imagine. Be aware that the "Original Soundtrack - Plus" is completely different from the "Original Soundtrack". They're two totally separate albums.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/final-fantasy-xi-original/id484473742

RiouV

This is the only screenshot I saved from my FFXI days.

hhdbfAL.jpg

My fondest memory of FFXI.

It was the night I finished CoP with my static group. What an experience the journey through CoP was. The missions were incredibly tough, PM6-4 alone took I think 3 nights before we got it right. But we persevered through it all and the bonds that were forged lasted till the day we stopped playing. No other MMORPG I've tried brought people together the way FFXI did.

Royce McCutcheon

Only FFXI can show me screenshots and I want to immediately resub. I've done it 3 times already since 2012 when I quit, and it's still such a relaxing experience. If you have 13 spare bucks, play it for a month as a single player rpg. It's amazing.

Vana'diel is (was) a world first and foremost, it's really awesome. A cave? Better watch out for bats. Night approaching? Cast sneak so you don't agro undead. Locations had legit secrets and hidden passages, going into a dungeon was effectively an adventure. Going from Sandy to Windy felt like a legit journey into another country.

You really don't see stuff like that anymore and mobs are just XP pack to click on.

FUCK this place tho'.

The bolded is why I think FFXI went from good to great. It somehow never felt like a slog travelling. Even to places you'd been before. A 20 minute journey just to get to a dungeon didn't feel terrible like it would in any other game. It all felt like part of the adventure. Man I miss it.

thedan001

I rather FFXI remaster over a mobile port tbh

Of course it wouldn't happen, I'm curious if SE is finished making MMO's after FFXIV

Atolm

I used the modified maps. Hate me.

Without them, oh god what a pain in the ass navigating through the Garden of Ru'hmet and Palace of Hux'zoi was. I remember that every time we did something into the Sea interiors half the challenge was to actually get the people to the spawn points.

And in the outside someone always got aggroed by a shark or an UFO. Every. Single. Time.

And in Sky someone always casted magic near a pot...

Those were the times...

thedan001

I used the modified maps. Hate me.

Without them, oh god what a pain in the ass navigating through the Garden of Ru'hmet and Palace of Hux'zoi was. I remember that every time we did something into the Sea interiors half the challenge was to actually get the people to the spawn points.

And in the outside someone always got aggroed by a shark or an UFO. Every. Single. Time.

And in Sky someone always casted magic near a pot...

Those were the times...

Like 90% of the playerbase uses windower these days, modified .dat maps is a given at this point :p

Loona

I've visited the main three cities, with many locations unexplored. I spent hours climbing a tower near Jeuno with cutscenes I couldn't really understand the significance of.

You probably just started the Chains of Promathia missions - I recall when I first went to Delkfutt's tower for a party, and the party had to wait for my cutscene to end. The following story scenes for that story are in Jeuno itself, so that's the simple part before the Promyvion areas, which to this days are still among the more visually interesting in the game.

There are times I miss a lot of aspects of XI that aren't in XIV. I'm hoping the upcoming mobile version is a close experience

I have very serious doubts that the mobile medium can do any justice to the intricacies of the original, and I fear that this is all that SE has in mind to give this numbered FF a future...

Walk-in dungeons are great now that the population is down, but back during the height of the game, it was filled with people and felt nothing like a dungeon, more like a town without NPC and slightly scarier deco. Instance-based dungeons are necessary for both boss-farming and maintaining the image of a hostile dungeon worth exploring.

I get your feeling of amazement though, as I've played Ragnarok Online on both official and private servers, and I loved exploring the people-less dungeons on the private server.

I love how nowadays with the raised level cap and tweaked dungeon-specific mechanics (some used to require a group to properly navigate due to switches to open some doors) it's simpler to traverse them and the appreciate the craftmanship in them.

For example, there's a wall in the Quicksand Caves dungeon with a mural about the history of the Galka, covering things like their rebirth process and the exodus from the invasion of the Antica (which now inhabit the area) - I first saw it by the end of a Bastok mission that required a group back in the day, where it is the focus of a lore-important scene, but back then I couldn't expect to look at the mural at my own pace - now that's no longer an issue, and there's even a way to instantly transport to that location if you do the appropriate quest - although you'll still have to take down the mobs roaming in the area which will aggro you if you don't sneak up for the occasion, but now those mobs are soloable.

Exactly how I feel about FFXI. I played from PS2 US release until Wings of the goddess expansion and what a damn ride this game used to be.

I really do need to sign up for a month or two so I can bang out Chains of Promanthia and Wings of the Goddess.

The final 1/3rd of the Rhapsodies of Vana'diel story is an amazing experience worth going through if you have any fondness for the game as a whole... the closest thing I can compare it to is the Segagaga finale for a long-time Sega fan, since it works in so much of its history while doing interesting things of its own, in a sort of defiant self-requiem sort of way.

Should someone be looking to acquire a particular group of trusts for a well-rounded squad? I stopped playing a good deal before they were introduced but did have one of those partners from another dimension whatever.

One of the starters, Kupipi, is a useful healer at any level, since she's pretty good at removing status effects. All the starter San d'Oria Trusts are tanks (a bit of a nation specialty, the place is basically Paladin Land). A bit of progress through Rhapsodies will get you access to Zeid II and Semih Lafhina, who are pretty effective damage dealers, and further progress gets you Selh'teus, who can regenerate HP, MP and TP for the whole party. And then there's Shantotto II, which can only be obtained during login campaigns (the 1st time that happened has when the final Rhapsodies chapter was released), who's pretty much the strongest (magical) damage-dealing Trust NPC in the game. Support-wise, you can get Joachim as a bard through very simple Records of Eminence quests.

CoP without the challenge it provided in its inception isn't CoP. That shit took me YEARS to complete due to how difficult it was and what it required of players to do. When you got to that ending it was fucking monumental and I haven't played a game before or since that made me feel as rewarded as I did when I got to pick my ring from completing CoP.

Same here - it used to take months to get a group to advance through level-capped areas and fights, and the tension of those challenges is forever burned into my psyche.

But nowadays, when it's possible to review all of its story scenes online in order without spoiling myself, it's interesting to see how the story as a whole tried to encompass all of FFXI's world, from its creation mythos, to the stories of its avatars and ancient civilizations, all the ways to the family histories of a few characters it makes you follow along the way (and at least one of each of the playable races, while showing them transcending the intrinsic flaws the lore burdens them with). Which in turn makes sense when you compare its release date of 2004 with the fact that the game was originally planned to last 5 years (it's an understated credit to XI's qualities that so far it has trippled that lifespan), apparently to match the PS2's expected lifespan - so they probably wanted to cram in all the stories they could.

I adored a lot about XI, I was there since the original US PS2 beta but I prefer to keep it in memory as deep down I know I'd start hating it if I played it again. I think about the time where I mentally checked myself out was when people had scores of macros for switching individual pieces of gear per attack. Nope.

They have made a lot of things about the game much simpler, especially if you just want to enjoy the stories - leveling is faster (especially with Rhapsodies and Records of Eminence bonuses), so is travel (lots of teleport options mean that most areas only have to be traversed the hard way once), and perfectly serviceable max-level gear can be obtained with points you can obtain through the RoE system by simply playing through common gameplay milestones.

Is there a guide out there for soloing the entire game? I'm thinking about going back and playing again if I can blow through it all.

There's a speedrunning guide on how to make it to max level, which makes a lot of the story content trivial:
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/User:Korvana/Speedrun

Generally speaking if story interests you you'll want to cover that roughly in release order, with few exceptions:

* Even after you finish missions for a nation, you can change nations and start all over for a different one - while some parts will be similar, each nation has a story of its own that continues even past the parts it has in common with the others, and there are in-game bonuses for doing this; since Zilart missions can only begin after some progress in the nation missions, later nation missions and some Zilart missions can probably be done at the same time, since they after take place in the same regions

* While Rhapsodies of Vana'diel was the last released story, it can be started as early as the first nation missions, and functionally covers the story end of the game - it basically "wraps" around everything, and there are several bonuses for progressing through it, although some parts are best enjoyed if you complete some of the other missions before (which is where release order comes into play)

* Chains of Promathia was release after Rise of the Zilart, but its story can be started at earlier levels

* Between Wings of the Goddess missions, at least one branch of nation-specific missions from the past must be completed, although there are benefits to playing through all of them, much like with the present-day nation missions.

CoP was damn good.

qHQ6o3W.jpg

It has some pretty great moments, like the banter between Shikaree Y, Shantotto and Prishe while retaining story relevance.

Personally, I prefer the themes and moments in Treasures of Aht Urghan and Wings of the Goddess.

Is it possible to solo the game now ? And how long would it take to complete the story / stories ?

There's an estimate here by the person that bothered to record every single cutscene in the game.

That being said, some stories are more important than others - for example, everything involving Abyssea, which was primarily designed as combat content, takes place in an alternate world with little to no consequence in the main setting, although it does provide some interesting alternate circumstances for several characters.

The music in FFXI is still so good! Hmmm you make want to check out what's changed.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Returning_to_Vana'diel

As someone who has never played this and can't with the platforms I have, can someone explain to me what was so compelling about the gameplay loop? I get it's from a long long time ago but screenshots don't really help.

FFXI often feels more like a living world than a game, but maybe that's just my story-focused approach, but one thing I like is that there are many ways to provide permanent benefits and options to your character that don't have anything to do with getting more gear, from unlocking jobs, to expanding inventory, to advance in stories to reach new areas (and vice-versa), unlocking more transportation options, etc... many of these things make it easier to accomplish others, so depending on your personal priorities, with some research and planning you can execute a plan to help you get what you want, which along the way might provide some perks later down the line.

Some jobs in particular, like summoner, blue mage and geomancer, practically make you travel the world to unlock their full potential, and since that often means going to some obscure corner of the world, you might end up researching that, and find that same place has something else to it that could be useful to help you reach some other goal, or along the way you might get an item that, upon research, can be useful for some job or task you hadn't thought of much, but which could turn out to be interesting.

I wouldn't say the process is endless, but I never felt the drive to work specifically toward getting some endgame weapon or other endgame trappings (well, I was in Dynamis and Nyzul groups for a while, both of which help unlock access to some story scenes), with everything else the game has provided over the years for me to look into or work toward - even when parties were required for levelling I just worked on lower-level quests or farming for something specific while I kept my LFG flag up.

So is it worth getting into? I've never played it.

You mostly enjoy it like a single-player FF by playing through most of its major stories for a month or two - the more recent the stories the better (I personally favor Treasures of Aht Urghan and Wings of the Goddess, and Rhapsodies was amazing for me after all these years), since the devs really hit their storytelling stride in the MMO medium after some earlier experimentation.

Man every single time a FFXI thread pops up on GAF, I get endlessly nostalgic. What ever happened to the mobile version?

I suspect the more Nexon looks into the intricacies of the original the more they realize they're trying to bite more than they can possibly chew, especially on a limited medium like mobile.

BLU is also a really great job. It encourages you to go to some of the less used areas and see more of the world. I've been loving learning spells inbetween quests and missions.

Blue Mage's implementation in XI is one of the most interesting things about the game - not only do you learn spells, but the fact that setting some of them (can't access all of them at the same time, so you have to choose from a growing pool of them as you level) grants you additional passive skills makes it a really cool way to customize your character for just about any challenge, since it makes good use of mechanics like the game's elemental and creature affinity systems - one could probably make a game entirely based on XI's blue mage implementation.

Not to mention some of the spells can only be obtained from specific story bosses, like Mighty Guard - blue mage in XI really encourages you to do a bit of everything.

FFXIclopedia and Bluegartr became the go-to hubs for most of the information collected over the years. Some of the forums have disappeared or gone mostly silent, but FFXIAH.com remains active. Those are indispensable sources for "noobs" and veterans alike.

Another very useful resource is ffxidb.com, which covers drop data on just about everything in the game - for just about any given item, it'll tell you if it drops off a mob, and if it does it'll tell you where to find it, and the odds of the drop, with and without thief's Treasure Hunter skill - quite the blessing for some quests and missions.

It should be a job about either nuking with cool summons or vanishing into the aether to control a summon. Instead somehow both games decided that an awkward pet job is the way to go, two times in a row.

XI's summoner still has exceptional cases like Odin, which can only be called to perform one big powerful attack, and its defensive counterpart Alexander, which will protect a part from anything for a limited amount of time - they were introduced late in the game, but I guess that was a way to cover a more traditional use of the job, instead of XI's usual system of having avatars follow you while consuming MP, and consuming extra MP for specific actions.

I know this is never going to happen, but I have always thought it would be amazing if they converted FFXI to an offline RPG and re-released it. They have an amazing world with some of the best music of any game ever created. They would have to make some changes, probably do something like FFXII's combat system and add in a more definite story and quests, but it would allow more people to experience the wonder of Vana'diel and give it its rightful place as one of the best Final Fantasy games.

really wish they would redo FFXI and make it to todays standards. It's totally possible too.

There is no mmo that has as relaxing combat with a controller as FFXI since it was designed to be used with a controller and the PS2. The slower style of gameplay allows me to actually enjoy it instead of facerolling my keyboard every 5 seconds.

They really need to remaster/remake FFXI. ARRGH!! So much money on the table, and don't go all stupid like FF7remake. Just update resolution, touch up the textures, it already looks good. Remake gameplay mechanics to control better or something. Maybe add gambits, and stuff for AI party.

This - the other PS2-era mainline FFs already got modern-day remasters, and while XI would need a greater adaptation effort, nowadays the game already contains gameplay mechanics not present in its original form that would make the transition simpler, namely the Trust NPCs - in early game stories NPCs would only appear in cutscenes, but nowadays they have actual combat data that would enable their implementation as regular party members during relevant story sections - it's mostly stuff like the auction house and systems like Besieged that would need to be adjusted.

That being said my favorite part of ffxi isn't really a thing anymore, since leveling was pretty much my favorite part of the game. Now to be fair I did like the pace, I did like the fact you did it as a group for good result, but it doesn't mean it was perfect, LFP time was often infuriating, and if no healer or tank were up you just couldn't do anything about it, the fact that there was a limited amount of good leveling spot didn't help either. That and the elitist attitude of the community leading to some jobs never getting any invite really really pissed me off.

Nowadays the job points system (lets you acquire stat bumps and new job-specific skills only on the job you use to get those points) still enables that kind of party to exist, although pretty much all happens at max level, which is simpler to reach anyway.

I remember running through Yuhtunga and Yhoater Jungle so fucking often that I didn't need to look at the map anymore.

Then again, the jungle maps were a mess anyway, and everything on Elshimo island, which also contains them, is functionally a labyrinth - on the other hand, in-universe the maps were hand-drawn by actual people, and had some imperfections and missing parts (like the Valkurm secret beach) accordingly.

I rather FFXI remaster over a mobile port tbh

Of course it wouldn't happen, I'm curious if SE is finished making MMO's after FFXIV

Maybe when Naoki Yoshida is no longer the head of SE's online game division - as long as the XIV director holds jurisdiction over "his" game's internal competition for company resources I'm worried for XI's future...

I like reading all the stories Gaf. Keep them coming.

Will videos do? There have been some decent ones in recent times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVuqN0RBFcY

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjQRhhUkZzdnrKd-GhyOotSRwcXgANRju

There's still not a whole lot of XI lore coverage on Youtube though, outside some remarkable efforts like Korvana's to upload all cutscenes in the game - those are great for reference, but won't do much to introduce people to characters that are actually important in XI's story, or clarify what's the deal with Shantotto (who's not that important, but got elevated to XI ambassador through Dissidia)... I may need to try and tackle that someday if nobody else does...

kromeo

My interest in the game died when people stopped grouping up to level jobs, but in it's prime it was the most fun I've ever had with a game

CoP areas were nuts. Lufaise Meadows, Riverne Site #A01, and Al'Taieu? Holy *shit*. Even today, those are some of the most memorable video game areas for me of all time. Al'Taieu in particular, just...man.

Shout out to Sanctuary of Zi'Tah and Sky zones, too.
not only was Al'Taieu amazing in its own right, it felt fucking earned to get there.

I loved finishing Tenzen with people and walking them through sea for the first time. Watching them get spooked by goldfish, explaining sharks and UFOs, and helping them get the map. Such an incredibly awe inspiring but dangerous place.

To be fair you also just not do Tiamat and the other HMN. :p It's not like the game lacked of end-game content.
the absolute variety in end game content all producing important top tier gear was the best part of FFXI's end game and something I hate about modern vertical MMOs. It might have took you an absurd amount of time to get that Red Mage hate from dynamis, but once you got it it was great for years and years, and in the process of getting that you collected gear from sky, sea, limbus, HNMs, salvage, crafting/buying, questing, missions. There was no funnel into the final endgame content, the game got wider and wider the higher your level.

elyetis

Nowadays the job points system (lets you acquire stat bumps and new job-specific skills only on the job you use to get those points) still enables that kind of party to exist, although pretty much all happens at max level, which is simpler to reach anyway.
The fact the leveling itself was slow was a big part of what I liked. It really made each change of gear during that phase, access to a new weapon skill, skill or magic, etc.. have far more impact on you.

Bandini

I went back for a couple months earlier this year and made an Aegis and gathered most of the Plutons for my Ragnarok. Farming in XI is so chill.

When I get the hankering to come back again, I might move to Asura. None of my friends really play anymore, a good portion are on XIV which is cool, but I'm not into raiding these days so I usually get bored pretty quick after catching up on story quests.

Ploid 3.0

The bolded is why I think FFXI went from good to great. It somehow never felt like a slog travelling. Even to places you'd been before. A 20 minute journey just to get to a dungeon didn't feel terrible like it would in any other game. It all felt like part of the adventure. Man I miss it.

As a beastmaster that fought mobs by lakeside with fireflies setting the mood and fog, I think it has a lot to do with the art, and the aggro behavior of monsters. It was a beautiful dangerous, so getting from point A to B was a game in itself. Going through the Kuftal Tunnel with the roaming Guivre? Every man for him/herself!!!!!!

I remember thinking about how lucky I was that I leveled beastmaster. I got to see things many players didn't I felt. I was in places no one would feel safe, surrounded by danger and beautiful sights (I was on stinking PS2 at the time also). I remember gaf shell doing a level 1 amazing race challenge. Go from Bastock or something to Norg with only about 3 prism powder and silent oils.

The only game I've seen with aggro rules similar to FFXI is Aion Online. I was able to safely manuver around enemies in that game, but it's only sight aggro it seem, and the aggro doesn't feel reliable.

Righty10

So many fond memories of this game. Loved the sense of community within the server.

I fondly remember camping nidhogg against other Japanese linkshells and the joy when we finally claimed it and a paladin in our LS was the first NA player to have the Koenig chest armor.

Other fond memories were kiting Kirin all over the place and taking down the Ark Angels.

I'll always have the memories, Fairy.

Chris R

Every xi thread I see, I get so nostalgic. I miss this game so much.

Same here, even though I only got a single job to 55ish.

Don't feel like playing a monthly fee game at the moment, but if they rerelease this as f2p or "remake" it tuned for SP I'll jump on it in a heartbeat.

XI had (on paper) better leveling, it took forever to put together an effective group and sometimes you just couldn't get a good spot but when everything lined up it felt great to get those skill and exp chains rolling. This is the part where I think it is better in my memory, because I remember those awesome early AM parties more than I remember the times where we just couldn't make one even after trying for hours.

I still have regrets about never getting around to making a BST duo way back in the day. I always wanted to do that.

XIV's leveling is great for the first job but on the repeats not so much, better than something like WoW where it's about repeating the same bad quests over and over but still needs work. Thing is it has a lot of the elements in place but the devs don't balance it right. Lot of variety and systems prop it up with FATEs, logs, dungeons, leves, etc but in the end it doesn't matter when PotD exists and blows everything away up until 60.

EXP rates need a second pass, badly. The sad thing is the only change they've seen was a large nerf to PvP exp when it was merely competitive with dungeons.

XIV's end game blows the doors off of XI's, though. XI's end game made Everquest look fun and friendly, it was just a gigantic timesink based around who you knew. Awful design.

As for Summoner, Summoner is awful in both games. These games arguably get every facet of what is Final Fantasy correct except for its most iconic job. Makes no fucking sense.

It should be a job about either nuking with cool summons or vanishing into the aether to control a summon. Instead somehow both games decided that an awkward pet job is the way to go, two times in a row.

On paper, perhaps. But in reality, I found that it more than often didn't work in my favour (the leveling, that is).

I never made it to endgame in XI, so I can't comment on that.

I would tend to disagree with you, though, on SMN being horrible in both games. I find it rather horrible in XIV, personally. But that's just me. I'm not someone who thinks SMN's were ever massive damage over time casters, and the pets are small and lackluster etc.

However, I do think it was executed much better in FFXI. Was it perfect? Absolutely not. They could have paid a better homage to SMN, for sure. But I still think it was pretty epic. The way they structured the job unlock quest and the avatar fights was amazing, IMO. Such a rush.

Azuran

Banned
The first footage we ever got of Odin in Einherjar. Seeing everyone get annihilated by Zantetsuken because they didn't know about the /heal thing is so amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtRR-Q_Z9Es

It's crazy how bosses back then had this aura of mythisicm around them because not everyone has the means to get to them, let alone fight them:

Mcdohl

Every xi thread I see, I get so nostalgic. I miss this game so much.

Amen.

As other posters said, you just can't recreate the experiences one made with this game back in the day. It's just different now.

Also, who has time for that now lol :(

Waiting all day shouting in Jeuno for an alliance to get an Optical Hat, only for it to be disbanded before it's your turn...

Same here, even though I only got a single job to 55ish.

Don't feel like playing a monthly fee game at the moment, but if they rerelease this as f2p or "remake" it tuned for SP I'll jump on it in a heartbeat.

Pretty sure most of it can be done alone now, at least that's the view I have.

Amen.

As other posters said, you just can't recreate the experiences one made with this game back in the day. It's just different now.

Also, who has time for that now lol :(

Waiting all day shouting in Jeuno for an alliance to get an Optical Hat, only for it to be disbanded before it's your turn...

So many memories, I remember camping for my joytoy for days. Finally on day 4 or 5, I was the only one at the spawn, put a shout out and had 3 people haul ass to get there and I got it. I remember sitting in my chair panicking that someone was going to swoop in and get it.

edit: I wasn't just waiting in the caves for literally 4 or 5 days.

Joe T.

I still vividly remember moments spent in FFXI back in 2004. Seeing my first notorious monster (Bubbly Bernie), being invited to my first party in Konschtat Highlands which then proceeded to get its butt kicked in Valkurm Dunes by wandering goblins and blood aggro undead at night, having a complete stranger, a 75 RDM named Linh (that to this day used the auto-translate feature far better than anyone), help me collect the support job quest items and then escort me from Valkurm Dunes to Jeuno for the first time...

I remember one particular experience party where I was the only English-speaking member trying to get my first job, paladin, to 75 and the other five were all Japanese speaking mithras. My first reaction was "Okay, this could be interesting." Then we got to our camp in Bibiki Bay and they were firing on all cylinders like no other party I had ever seen. I think we spent about 10+ hours there together. I was in love and I never quite saw Japanese players in quite the same way after that. They were more organized, disciplined and team-oriented than most English speaking players I had seen up until that point. That initial impression more or less held steady throughout my time in the game, except when it came to the HNMLS camping scene where the North American crowd was more cutthroat and successful because of it.

I played FF11 for a year and a half. Hated it so much, by the end. Still... I have this fondness for the setting and feel of the game that doesn't go away. And my memories of my first week of playing that game are engraved deep.

I keep hearing about how they fixed so much of what I hated about the game, but I can't imagine that being the case without them also breaking much that was good about the game too. It probably averages out to a drastic improvement though. I imagine that playing it now would be like strolling through a mausoleum or something, seeing all the monuments to content and game systems long since irrelevant, NPCs speaking with urgency about quests that people first undertook in 2002, and vendors selling basic equipment for outrageous prices.

I started writing about all that I hated about FF11 (still a bit bitter!) but I don't see any reason to share it. TLDR: Squaresoft was naive about how players react to things, the economy sucked, equipment swapping looked dumb, and they often needed to revise old things but instead just kept added a lot of new shit on top of it until everything got really convoluted.

I got bummed out when I returned in 2007 after a few years of absence and found that I would need to level up ninja to be relevant on most jobs. I had long ago sold my scroll of Utsusemi: Ichi to afford black magic, and that spell is essential for ninjas. It's also strictly a quest reward, unavailable through other means. I would have had to use another character to grind reputation to the point where I could accept the quest and be shepherded by a friend through dangerous areas so I could get a spell, just to level ninja past 12, ha ha. It seems that even in 2017 this hasn't changed, if I played again I'd still have to do that annoying reputation grind.

Edit: I regret only posting negativity. I have a lot of fond memories of FFXI and my Linkshell.

ApharmdX

Banned
I went back for a couple months earlier this year and made an Aegis and gathered most of the Plutons for my Ragnarok. Farming in XI is so chill.

When I get the hankering to come back again, I might move to Asura. None of my friends really play anymore, a good portion are on XIV which is cool, but I'm not into raiding these days so I usually get bored pretty quick after catching up on story quests.

Farming in FFXI is the best! Like, it's time-consuming, but just chilling and running Salvage or Abyssea or especially Dynamis, it was so great. I miss that most of all, sitting there running Dynamis with my wife, listening to music and chatting. That and the great people that I used to play with.

As for Summoner, Summoner is awful in both games. These games arguably get every facet of what is Final Fantasy correct except for its most iconic job. Makes no fucking sense.

Summoner has been fixed in FFXI as of 3-4 years ago. It's really special:

-focus is on big spikes of damage on a longer (~30s) timer
-offers unique buffs and debuffs
-Avatar's favor for party buff similar to bard song or corsair rolls
-MP management is no longer onerous

SMN in XI is far, far better than it is in FFXIV, and it feels meaningful while doing something different compared to the job in singleplayer Final Fantasy games.

Are there any good pre-Abyssea private servers? I'd be so down if SE did a progression server like Everquest and stopped it right before Abyssea. I really didn't like how Abyssea changed the game.

I also loved how FFXI handled equipment. You could have a piece of gear that lasted 20 levels and was useful on multiple jobs. Most equipment at 75 were side-grades and situational pieces instead of just having an endless treadily for new gear.

I think the biggest thing is that things took time to do in FFXI which gave them more value. When you spent 70 hours camping for an Ochiudo Kote you got such a rush when it finally deopped. I understand why MMOs nowadays don't do that, it just feels like a waste of time to a lot of people, but I think it's what made FFXI so enjoyable. It could take you an hour to run from your home city to Juno for the first time, and there was no guarantee you would even make it, but when you finally got there it felt like you had completed an arduous journey. Such a great game.

Are there any good pre-Abyssea private servers? I'd be so down if SE did a progression server like Everquest and stopped it right before Abyssea. I really didn't like how Abyssea changed the game.

I also loved how FFXI handled equipment. You could have a piece of gear that lasted 20 levels and was useful on multiple jobs. Most equipment at 75 were side-grades and situational pieces instead of just having an endless treadily for new gear.

I think the biggest thing is that things took time to do in FFXI which gave them more value. When you spent 70 hours camping for an Ochiudo Kote you got such a rush when it finally deopped. I understand why MMOs nowadays don't do that, it just feels like a waste of time to a lot of people, but I think it's what made FFXI so enjoyable. It could take you an hour to run from your home city to Juno for the first time, and there was no guarantee you would even make it, but when you finally got there it felt like you had completed an arduous journey. Such a great game.

As much as I LOVED getting my joytoy as mentioned above it was a 100% drop, I think I was like 0/25 (or something else crazy like this) on o.kote. It was horrible. The system needed to be fixed. Doesn't have to drop every time but they should have had a better system where if you did it X times the game should have had a mercy rule on you.

I remember one particular experience party where I was the only English-speaking member trying to get my first job, paladin, to 75 and the other five were all Japanese speaking mithras. My first reaction was "Okay, this could be interesting." Then we got to our camp in Bibiki Bay and they were firing on all cylinders like no other party I had ever seen.
Aah, the "JPs are freaking great at this" mind blown moment, which was simultaneously accurate but also a little racist. Happened to everyone at some point. This game deserves massive credit for being bold enough to throw players of all regions on the same servers. Finding ways around the language barrier was simultaneously frustrating but also part of what made the game special. It was just -there-, so people had to find a way to cope to be successful, just like the other ways the game refused to hold your hand on any of the gameplay or strategy.

elyetis

As much as I LOVED getting my joytoy as mentioned above it was a 100% drop, I think I was like 0/25 (or something else crazy like this) on o.kote. It was horrible. The system needed to be fixed. Doesn't have to drop every time but they should have had a better system where if you did it X times the game should have had a mercy rule on you.
Preach.

Even the joyeuse wasn't much fun to camp imho. Getting Charybdis time of death was far from enough, the lottery spawn could make you wast hours and hours; and if you didn't want to make your friends waste that time with you and choose to kill the Devil Manta solo, you then risked having other people stealing it from you before you could get help there.
Even simply replacing ( or at least allowing as an option/repeatable quest ) the lottery spawn by a forced spawn with an item droped by those Devil Manta would have been an improvement ( and if it used a fake RNG it would be even better ).

Rncewind

First mmo, wasted fun 8 years, no regrets

That said there are simply no mmos with that mindset anymore, devoleper are to afraid of people getting left behind, hence the reason why i stopped playing mmos hardcore. I play occasionaly ff xiv but i played it for it being a FF game tbh. much better then the last mainline entries, and stop until new content comes out

ApharmdX

Banned
Preach.

Even the joyeuse wasn't much fun to camp imho. Getting Charybdis time of death was far from enough, the lottery spawn could make you wast hours and hours; and if you didn't want to make your friends waste that time with you and choose to kill the Devil Manta solo, you then risked having other people stealing it from you before you could get help there.
Even simply replacing ( or at least allowing as an option/repeatable quest ) the lottery spawn by a forced spawn with an item droped by those Devil Manta would have been an improvement ( and if it used a fake RNG it would be even better ).

Well, they did just that. The "new" Joyeuse is dropped from a force-pop NM :)

elyetis

Well, they did just that. The "new" Joyeuse is dropped from a force-pop NM :)
Good, they did learn then..... ( still 100% drop or they traded spawn RNG for drop RNG ? ) if I didn't have it already ( which is why I have kind of a bad memory from camping it....) I would re sub just to get it that way. :p

On the other hand I think I'm still something like 0/20 on the empress hairpin.

Arzehn

I wonder though, if SE released a legacy server (RotZ) if it would gather enough people ( at least 2000-2500 concurrent) to effectively simulate the game in 2003/2004?

Or maybe it would be slow progression, but i can't decide if i'd want it to stop at CoP or Treasures though.

But yeah, would enough people show up and more importantly, stay? I know I would, but...

Loona

Where my Leviathan peeps at!!!

Sup! Originally from Remora before the merge though.

Good, they did learn then..... ( still 100% drop or they traded spawn RNG for drop RNG ? ) if I didn't have it already ( which is why I have kind of a bad memory from camping it....) I would re sub just to get it that way. :p

There's a new high-level version of the NM as part of the Unity system - if you don't get one of the 2 possible high-level versions of the sword, there's an alternate far more frequent drop that can be collected (through fights or buying it in the auction house) and traded for the best version of the sword.

There are now Unity versions for practically all famous NMs in the game, just like this.

Top Bottom