• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXI in 2017

It's really nice seeing all these recognizable names popping up in screenshots, I had no idea there were so many Fairy folk here. (or that the GAF LS was on Fairy too)

ZetaEpyon

It's my favorite MMO by far. I love it so much. I go back every year or so.... still trying to finish all of the story. One day I'll go back and everyone I've depended on to help me out will be gone, and that'll be a bummer.

I'm still playing on Slyph, I might transfer to Asura eventually, not sure when

I'll help out with story missions whenever

Yeah there are a few of us around still, but numbers have dwindled for sure. (Sylph is one of the smallest servers, so it's a general statement as much as anything.)

Probably have to send tells though, I don't think many people have the old linkshells equipped anymore.

I journeyed a bit farther, climbed up to 45, and managed to become a Samurai, dropping to level 1 again. The current balance of the game is such that undertaking A.M.A.N. quests (think of something akin to leves in FFXIV ... which literally give you points numbered as "leaves") gives you an incentive to fight certain enemies in an area, take your time even though you could just rush through and complete your objective, as well as receive certain exp, gil, and warping bonuses (you can now warp between most outposts). But it also gave me the sense that some of the changes that were made to the game didn't create a congruent experience. The enemies in the Sanctuary of Zi'Tah were tough, but by the time I fought the Guardian Treant it went down in a matter of seconds. The bomb I fought went down in maybe 2 or 3. It was a little anticlimactic - I was hoping for a bit more.

I also wanted to mention the music this time, because I forgot earlier. Something about the instruments and maybe how the music was written reminds me of FFVIII and FFIX. In fact, it almost sounds like they used the same synth instruments as FFVIII. I also wanted to mention I really enjoy visiting a new area and discovering variations in battle music. Is this partially due to some content being part of expansions?
u3odRDA.jpg

What are these mysterious structures? The remnants of a lost civilization? The same one that built the tower near Jeuno? They really remind me of Panzer Dragoon.
1txVBF4.jpg

24QvwOF.jpg

I made my way into the sanctuary of Zi'Tah first. It took a bit of time to get there and it was full of enemies, some of which the game told me was "very strong." I couldn't really tell the difference; they all seemed a bit tough, but with a full party of faith NPCs I was able to take them on ... with a few close calls.
V3Se3ZI.jpg

I was ready for a tough fight, but I wasn't given one. It was much weaker than any of the other enemies in the area. The internet tells me it was to make the game possible to solo, but I don't see how solo players could have taken anything else on in the sanctuary.
80aEKtn.jpg

XRPUW1W.jpg

A journey back to the Konschtat Highlands resulted in an even briefer fight with a bomb. I'm now leveling here as a Samurai.
6i2Cpzp.jpg

Gilgamesh feels a bit subdued this time.
0Q0Avaj.jpg

I managed to become a Samurai.

elyetis

I journeyed a bit farther, climbed up to 45, and managed to become a Samurai, dropping to level 1 again. The current balance of the game is such that undertaking A.M.A.N. quests (think of something akin to leves in FFXIV ... which literally give you points numbered as "leaves") gives you an incentive to fight certain enemies in an area, take your time even though you could just rush through and complete your objective, as well as receive certain exp, gil, and warping bonuses (you can now warp between most outposts). But it also gave me the sense that some of the changes that were made to the game didn't create a congruent experience. The enemies in the Sanctuary of Zi'Tah were tough, but by the time I fought the Guardian Treant it went down in a matter of seconds. The bomb I fought went down in maybe 2 or 3. It was a little anticlimactic - I was hoping for a bit more.

I also wanted to mention the music this time, because I forgot earlier. Something about the instruments and maybe how the music was written reminds me of FFVIII and FFIX. In fact, it almost sounds like they used the same synth instruments as FFVIII. I also wanted to mention I really enjoy visiting a new area and discovering variations in battle music. Is this partially due to some content being part of expansions?
I hope you went to Zi'Tah with the music volume set at max; it's one of the best song of the franchise.

Taruranto

Check out the tutorial part of ROE if you haven't already. Also you may want to join an unity if you haven't already.

Also this thread is making me want to come back. Good thing I deleted my LUA folder to prevent that from happening.

ZetaEpyon

Yeah, Omen card runs aren't the most interesting thing necessarily, but they're at least a newer mechanic, with the random objectives on each floor.

Ploid 3.0

I loved watching FFXI streams on twitch. There was a guy doing hardcore HNM stuff every day, then he stopped streaming. When Seekers launched it was fun watching them try to kill those tough monsters like that shark with the horn and such. I suppose that stuff is easy now.

Breaking down those barriers in Seekers seemed annoying.

Did they add glamor/wardrobe to ffxi? Watching a thief with crimson legs, the DRG/War crafted body plate thing that warriors wore the pants to before they got haidates, among other things.

boXgAKw.jpg

ZetaEpyon

Did they add glamor/wardrobe to ffxi? Watching a thief with crimson legs, the DRG/War crafted body plate thing that warriors wore the pants to before they got haidates, among other things.

Yes, lockstyle.

You can lock the appearance of anything that you have, as long as you're able to equip it on a job. So, even if you're currently on WAR, you could lockstyle WHM artifact armor if you have WHM sufficiently leveled.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
First time you're transported to Sky, was Godlike

You just felt badass fighting big bads up there on a hovering City

Jesus @ killing lesser bosses that gave drops to spawn major bosses that gave drops that spawned an Ultimate boss who spawned the major bosses again for a last hurrah!...

I never got to earn an Osode, was a Main RDM and BLM on Fenrir, name was Crot.

Was 2nd NA player on my server to earn the Refresh Hat for my RDM. That took for fucking ever!.
There was only 5 RDM's running that Refresh hat, 3 JP and 2 NA (me being one), thing was fucking special on our server for like close to 6-8 months.

Left before ToAU Expansion came out. Grind got to me and LS drama llama as far as MMO's go, people got greedy in that game fucking quick.

Still remember LS Points and showing up to "farm" drops for LS, miss a few and then you lose out on your rolls cause you were behind.

Worst was Fafnir, I remember spawn was 3-6AM and had to set an alarm to wake up and help LS out, always lost to Bots, but showing dedication and being there did give me more points lol

I still miss it, wish they could go F2P or pay one time feee as a last hurrah and let everyone just enjoy the game

Ploid 3.0

Points sound like a nightmare, and it even broke the point king, GraveRobberX. I was happy if people just did stuff when they could, but not ruin their life to keep points. Losing points for not being at a event sounds like too much.

I did wake up for fafhog one time, but it's when we were still trying to get used to it. I was excited for it, later we just started recruiting people from different time zones as a goal instead of asking people to wake up at ungodly hours. I remember the couple from Hong Kong, Pootie and Pootee. I bet the girl is addicted to instagram these days, always posted pictures of China and their boat. So many characters, the Europe crew especially. Miss them, we had a lively old lady tank that was so fun and awesome (Tyriac. Edit: looked up the name to make sure I spelled it right. Oh wow, I forgot all about Poppet. Man the nostalgia is kicking in). Good times, good times.

I liked when everyone was pretty much quit, so we talked about how we all skipped events, who we were secretly mad at, or crazy stuff we did. All gone. Had quite a few couples formed in my endgame shell. Marriages, babies, invitations and group photos, couples, evil couples (Yoko Ono, why!). What a game.

FFXIV, it can't hang with FFXI's community, but again, ffxi pretty much forced us to work together. FFXIV seems like a matchmaking cross server casual instance focused game.

Oh also the king camps were chill. I used to watch tv, play games, and so on between windows. Super easy, and most of the time people would be just hanging out chatting as if we were bored in a hub city chatting, playing around with costumes, or whatever.

Loona

I also wanted to mention I really enjoy visiting a new area and discovering variations in battle music. Is this partially due to some content being part of expansions?

Yeah, expansion-specific areas have their own battle music, usually something for fighting in a party, in a dungeon and for boss fights.

What are these mysterious structures? The remnants of a lost civilization? The same one that built the tower near Jeuno? They really remind me of Panzer Dragoon.

They're all connected to the crags and some structures like Delkfutt's tower as part of a wide infrastructure known as the crystal line - this play a major role in the Rise of the Zilart expansion (and to a smaller extent in Chains of Promathia), even if it was all present in the game's original release, and it's interesting to see the design sensibilities of those structures expanded upon in the Zilart endgame areas - where it's also interesting to see that the kind of being usually guarding those pipelines and structure in remote corners of several areas also have that role reflected in those aforementioned areas.

They're pretty much what gives me the impression that the original release, Zilart and Promathia basically count as a single game/story, and Treasures of Aht Urghan was the first "real" expansion/sequel, since it turned its narrative and mechanic focus in other directions (and was excellent about it IMO).

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Points sound like a nightmare, and it even broke the point king, GraveRobberX. I was happy if people just did stuff when they could, but not ruin their life to keep points. Losing points for not being at a event sounds like too much.

FFXIV, it can't hang with FFXI's community, but again, ffxi pretty much forced us to work together. FFXIV seems like a matchmaking cross server casual instance focused game.

Yeah points became way to much of a point to earn. Then people began being deceitful and trying to creates cliques to gain advantages for drops really got a soured experience.

Thing with FFXI was core and hardcore oriented in everything it did. FFXIV went more casual route.

You had to travel the fun world to get to your destination, now you can just teleport or fly there bypassing that feel of a living breathing virtual world. Shit if you were 75 didn't mean you were safe in FFXI. You could Buff your XP to cap and every death removed chunks.
So there was always a penalty looming in your head to play cautiously.

I played XI for 2 years, XIV for 2 years, more memories still linger about XI then XIV even though XIV is fresher in my mind.
Also XI was a game that was you had to be there kind of game. Some games come along that if you got in while it was good, you got memories for a long time. Same thing with Destiny. Year 1 to Year 33 is a huge change in scope for the better, but that Year 1 RNGesus, the chase for Gjallarhorn, #Forever29 memes built and glued the community together. Same as XI. The community you had to reach out and communicate. Language barriers be damned, even if JP Only, but when they needed a RDM or WHM it quickly crumbled when the XP was too good to pass up.

FXIV feels like you play with others but it's more of co-op jump in and jump out experience. XI made you fucking sure real world was second to it. Those timers, missing from out on something cause you were busy. Missing 1 Dynamus run felt like you lost progress for a whole week.

Not putting XIV down, it's great story wise and no way could XI system survive in this hand holding generation that growing up with gaming.

Could you imagine telling someone that you had to wait 2 hours for a chance at Leaping Lizzy who dropped Level 7 boots for the THF class in the starting area and you had maybe a 10% of it dropping. So roughly in a day 4-6 chances of "camping", then other campers show up just to steal it from you lol
The outcry would be amazing in this gaming time we live in, but back then it was considered normal.

Also reaching Jueno and going through that long fucking tunnel to reach Quifm Island is when shit got real. Valkrum Dunes may have been babys first party, Quifm gave you hair on your chest. Still remember people training Ogres and Wights to parties fighting literally at entrance as their camp lulz were had.

Best Trolling ever was Crawlers Nest, hands down the defining dungeon ever created in a MMO.
One time there was a 40+ crawler train at the Best for roughly 35 minutes, /shouts to Jueno took like 5 75 Heroes to come destroy the lot so we could get people at least through the zone entrance before being killed.

elyetis

Could you imagine telling someone that you had to wait 2 hours for a chance at Leaping Lizzy who dropped Level 7 boots for the THF class in the starting area and you had maybe a 10% of it dropping. So roughly in a day 4-6 chances of "camping", then other campers show up just to steal it from you lol
The outcry would be amazing in this gaming time we live in, but back then it was considered normal.
Nowaday leveling in most mmo is so fast and you change gear for some purple shiny thingy so often that people wouldn't even care about a lvl 7 piece of gear.

Ploid 3.0

Also reaching Jueno and going through that long fucking tunnel to reach Quifm Island is when shit got real. Valkrum Dunes may have been babys first party, Quifm gave you hair on your chest. Still remember people training Ogres and Wights to parties fighting literally at entrance as their camp lulz were had.

Best Trolling ever was Crawlers Nest, hands down the defining dungeon ever created in a MMO.
One time there was a 40+ crawler train at the Best for roughly 35 minutes, /shouts to Jueno took like 5 75 Heroes to come destroy the lot so we could get people at least through the zone entrance before being killed.

Seeing Japanese players change to their level 75 geared out jobs to clear out gobs in jungle zone line camp felt so awesome.

I was a big fan of the gilseller killers in my server. The two that I knew joined my shell, but by then the mob despawn system was in. I still found ways to ruin gill seller days. It was a game to me, another reason beastmaster was amazing. They ruined notorious monster camping for everyone. They even managed to expand to gods. Crazy.

Kandinsky

I wish I had more pics from my early days in the game, oh well D:

Here i was waiting at the entrance of the Necropolis while the awesome higher level bros from SoD (gaf ls) farmed the papyrus for my G1 (?) quest, thanks guys!
CMmfA7y.png

Leveling Bard and looking awesome :p
odazLfr.png

Dealing with the infamous player Poof, telling me to die because I didnt want to leave my party to join hers as Bard. (lol dat 5-6k an hour brag)
lJDmAN1.png

Promys!
iwxNYKB.png

I think everyone has a pic or two of this moment in their FFXI life haha
oN7EAe1.jpg

Me and buncle, I always loved the Austere robe look :D
B7QFQjv.png

Waiting for the first Besieged on Fairy, which iirc never happened because TG killed the mobs otw, thanks a lot guys! lol
vRQetVN.jpg

I do have more recent pics somewhere, but they pretty much all are after plastic surgeon and they dont feel right, Im a Taru dammit!

Edit: oh wow at the FPS I was playing on, wtf?!

Ploid 3.0

Ffxi's framerate was always around 14-24ish for me too. I think it may be a server thing. I have a lot of my first days pictures. I could have had even more if I could have retrieved them from my ffxi POL mail.

ZetaEpyon

Definitely not a server thing - it's just capped at 30fps, and would drop below that regularly in populated areas. Hooray for PS2 game ports.

With a modern PC, you'd be at cap all the time now, and there are also addons to raise the framerate cap to 60fps or even completely uncap it (it gets a bit weird though).

ViciousDS

Banned
even on my modern PC of a Zen and 1070 the game definitely has engine issues. Most definitely the game seems to chug no matter what the hardware. But due to the gameplay and styling you never take to much of it in, until you actually see the number.

Perineum

Good lord, Poof....Yeah...that was an interesting person.

Small world! I was on Fairy server back in the day as well. Also recall Poof LMAO.

Have a buddy from that server on facebook, who is friends with her on facebook too. She's just as a big of a troll RL and shit stain as she is in that game if her comments are anything to gauge by on his wall.

Ploid 3.0

Gob train!
NSboFHU.jpg

Helped a SMN get his most wanted item at the time.
zxBfho7.jpg

uPYZ2vQ.jpg

Then made him scout faf camp (jk, we were headed there anyway, grew tired of sky and needed to move to kings for jobs that didn't get loot in sky.).
mzu49ZG.jpg

And he abandoned it...
bB9prxT.jpg

My twin brother Bookey (TF for life, TF felt like a black hole). Oh Bookey is, was a gaffer. I think his name was TheRealBookey, or maybe that was his new FFXI character or just his PSN name. I forgot.
N7K2vFF.jpg

SoD (Gaf Shell) Hogashi's first Adamant cursed armor (gloves sadly, but it was a upgrade).
tTlL6K9.jpg

Best Sam bro.
PUZkAKq.jpg

Bumped into Sam Bro many FFXI years later and was able to give him a GAF LS.
mwWu5aO.jpg

5dPqdQg.jpg

I hated SE. The gil made /dancing in these didn't make up for how silly it looks. On both genders. Down with subligar.
vrEn8O4.jpg

I forgot what shell did this. There was a bad shell that formed and they were not playing nice in the Aery. Used it to clip Nid, didn't lose it though.
BZphc0U.jpg

Testing TF lockdown of LoO, first day and they were sleeping on the job. Man I hated TH theories, so stupid. Thankfully we later learned you just needed to touch the enemy once to proc all TH gear. Shotokan was traveling with the TH knife for a complete TH+4 on me. Thankfully it dropped, or it would be blamed on not waiting. Last hit was the worst of the TH rituals, so many deaths claimed by that sacrifice. Hogashi death is true though, that is potent TH.
dc7b5f86506d3bb60a0b80e9cbf9bc27.jpg

I'm so going to track down remnants of my old forum. There seem to be another older version with good pictures still. I need to collect that. Come on Google-fu.

Big Nikus

I wanted to start FFXIV but okay, I'm going back to FFXI. Haven't played for years and I didn't see much of the story. I loved this game so much though.

Perineum

Everyone on Fairy remembers Poof. =|

That's kind of impressive when you think about it. Infamous to a server of people in an online MMORPG. You can't get that in any other game then or now.

FFXI let you KNOW your server if you were playing on a regular basis, which to be fair regular meant no life outside of it back in the day.

Ploid 3.0

Wasn't Darkshire the Gaf mod, used to be in SoD?
8b319773cd6f8a3ec58b82bc8ba14070.jpg

The most unlikeliest of team-up, Fairy: Infinity Thing
568d20aea617103a7cc5a561777551f6.jpg

Dead Gil Sellers, beautiful. Doesn't stop them though. Thankfully FFXIV doesn't have a bad gil seller situation. I still tried messing with them in that game but it's pointless. Maybe they screw up the economy somehow, but other than that I don't see how they could get in players way.
832f355d82463ab1fd1e268d01458bf1.jpg

Fairy ultimate shell
539648f188bf6ff3392498c2159b625f.png

Ok I'm done.

tcrunch

Wow I was in Order of the Blue Gartr for a long time in this game, I didn't know it was still going. You can hire NPCs to level up? Maybe no one is camping Fafnir anymore...

I remember playing the PS2 beta. I had no clue what I was doing but I had a lot of fun. After trying to replay it with the trust system last year I realized I was pretty much doing everything wrong. Yet I still had a good time.

When I played recently I realized I needed to put a ton of addons to make sense of the game.

I got burned out on FFXIV and don't think I can come back but for some reason I can do FFXI in doses and come back. The music is so primitive but really good.

Toth

Wow I was in Order of the Blue Gartr for a long time in this game, I didn't know it was still going. You can hire NPCs to level up? Maybe no one is camping Fafnir anymore...

Nah you gain the power to summon 3 trusts (at the start) and you make your own parties. As you progress through RoV, you get up to 5 other trusts to use and its pretty flexible. Make a party of your favs and go nuts!

thedan001

Nah you gain the power to summon 3 trusts (at the start) and you make your own parties. As you progress through RoV, you get up to 5 other trusts to use and its pretty flexible. Make a party of your favs and go nuts!

Yep, we can even call on Ark Angels as trusts too, it's awesome. It's like each NPC comes with a set of gambits (that you can't adjust) from FFXII and you go collecting them all and use your favorites.

Example, Gessho (ToAU) as a ninja tank will provoke and utsusemi tank while we have 2 types of Tenzen (CoP) trusts, 1 melee mode and 2nd ranged mode

I wouldn't know, it's been too long now and I wasn't even close to that person, just a random convo in LS and we were calling bs so he just sent it on LS forum and I downloaded the file.

I was just fiddling around in my old FFXI folder after reading this thread and found the manual.

If you know more, do tell.

Arc07

I wouldn't know, it's been too long now and I wasn't even close to that person, just a random convo in LS and we were calling bs so he just sent it on LS forum and I downloaded the file.

I was just fiddling around in my old FFXI folder after reading this thread and found the manual.

If you know more, do tell.
Ahh understood. There was a guy in my linkshell named Samot who ran the site the GM manual links to.

Brandson

Nice thread. I played on Midgardsormr from NA launch until 2007. Lots of wonderful gaming moments throughout. Competing early on against Japanese linkshells was a highlight. Ultimately the time sink and lack of new content wore me down. Some game mechanics were also downright cruel to players. Learning the game and growing with other players was the best part. Completing the CoP missions with a static party was pretty great too.

StMeph

Of the MMOs I've played, it was easily the best, and no MMO will probably ever hit the same highs again.

I eventually quit because everything needed a NIN sub, and leveling NIN was the most annoying and boring thing in the universe to me.

Still remember the endless hours camping for Kote.

Of the MMOs I've played, it was easily the best, and no MMO will probably ever hit the same highs again.

I eventually quit because everything needed a NIN sub, and leveling NIN was the most annoying and boring thing in the universe to me.

Why would everything need a NIN sub? Do I need a NIN sub? :s

RiouV

Ninja sub has two uses. One is Dual Wield, the other is Utsusemi. For Samurai Utsusemi is sometimes used to block AOEs. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are doing endgame stuff.

Are you ready for the mother of all boosts, GAF?

I've basically banned myself from playing FFXI again until Square finally kills the servers. I spent too many days playing the game and I certainly don't need it back in my life now. I feel going back would be kinda like visiting your childhood neighborhood after everyone you knew is gone. A lot of good memories were had, a lot of friends I'll never talk to again were made. I miss the sense of community more than anything.

Azriell

Always love reading stories from the XI Glory days, and seeing other people who love the game as much as I do. I played from 2004 until around 2010 (Alexander, Bismark iirc) and then another few stints after that (Sylph). Made a lot of great friends on there that got me through some darker days, and through a somewhat crazy series of events I met my wife on there. I miss CoP-ToAU era XI so much, and it's really shitty to think that there will probably never be anything else like it.

I'd kill for a remake+classic server or a proper sequel, but I don't know if SE is capable of recapturing that magic again.

Ranmo

I recently re-rolled with a friend of mine on Asura. Hadn't played the game for about 6 years or so and wanted to start out fresh. I'm having a blast. I was honestly surprised going in. I know Asura is popular but I didn't imagine it would feel this lively. At least to my standard. I used to play on Lakshmi when I started in 06.

Marceles

I feel the same way, pre-Abbysea FFXI is the best MMO I'll ever play in my life.

I quit because the laptop I used to play on died, and by the time I came back my linkshell disbanded.

When NIN came out it did feel like the game started going downhill lol. Everyone wanted to be NIN. BLU/NIN, RDM/NIN, MNK/NIN, NIN/DNC, NIN/WAR, WAR/NIN, PLD/NIN, WHM/NIN...it started getting ridiculous. Not only that, people started power leveling in Abbysea and didn't even know how to use the job they were leveling. Before this, it would take months to a year to level up a job, and then had to level up your sub...so everyone slept, ate, and breathed their job. Dark Knights felt like they weren't playing their job correctly if they didn't die in battle, Paladin's felt like crap if anyone in the party took mob hate from them, Dragoons would challenge anyone to out damage them, Samurais wanted to two-shot every mob...it was just a really cool game to play at the time.

I would go back but I'd have to re-macro everything and relearn the controls all over again. I already know I won't stick with it so I just stay away, but FFXI is some of the best time I've ever had playing a video game period.

StMeph

Why would everything need a NIN sub? Do I need a NIN sub? :s

I don't know what it's like now, with the major level increases and other changes, but back in the level 75/37 days, the easiest way to handle incoming damage and healer MP (and keep chains/pulls going smoothly) for ALL classes, not just tanks, was to avoid taking damage whenever possible, which NIN's two Utsusemi skills enable. The small decrease to damage potential was worth the improved consistency and MP management.

Edit:
Dragoons would challenge anyone to out damage them

I felt bad for DRG. FFXI launched in NA with Zilart, but Pentathrust was nerfed almost immediately after launch, and DRG got tossed aside. Meanwhile SAM just keep getting better and better.

Ixian

FFXI may have played a large role in me dropping out of college. But I eventually went on to become a programmer on another MMO, so that kinda worked out for me in the end.

I'm always amazed by how much I loved this game considering I came to it after playing WoW for so long; I still consider WoW a better game in several respects, but aside from some brief spurts of interest here and there, it was never able to hold my attention like FFXI did (didn't help that I no matter what race/class combo I went with, I never felt attached to my character in WoW).

Although I play FFXIV on occasion and enjoy it, I wish it made some more interesting design decisions. Another expansion, more tomestones to farm...

I don't know what it's like now, with the major level increases and other changes, but back in the level 75/37 days, the easiest way to handle incoming damage and healer MP (and keep chains/pulls going smoothly) for ALL classes, not just tanks, was to avoid taking damage whenever possible, which NIN's two Utsusemi skills enable. The small decrease to damage potential was worth the improved consistency and MP management.

Edit:

I felt bad for DRG. FFXI launched in NA with Zilart, but Pentathrust was nerfed almost immediately after launch, and DRG got tossed aside. Meanwhile SAM just keep getting better and better.

I'll try my luck and attempt something else.

I wonder why they didn't address the imbalance with future updates.

Top Bottom