• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXIII and FFVersusXIII direct feed HD realtime shots from IGN (56k stuck on SD)

AmMortal said:
Confusion is imminent. It's being developed on PS3 first right? or PC? cause others are saying PS3.

anyways people are getting serious, im going to OT.

Holy god... you do realize all console games are developed within PC environments, yes?

FFChris

Wow. I'll admit I didn't like the initial Shiva as a motorcycle rubbish, but this is actually starting to look like a FF game. Epic.

I'm still not going to be convinced these visuals are what I'm going to be playing until the game is being played on a 360. Really looking forward to seeing the GUI and gameplay camera.

Threi said:
Chrono Cross is my favorite game of all time, and the reason i hate this gen so much.

Of course i'm gunna notice something like this.

Who's working on the music for this one? The Chrono Cross soundtrack has yet to be surpassed by any game imo.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
MassiveAttack said:
Holy god... you do realize all console games are developed within PC environments, yes?

but.....aren't there PS3 TOOL SDKs out there with PS3 hardware within?

*hoping not to get condencending answers from this honest question*

Kleegamefan said:
I too was under the impression it was being developed on PS3 SDKs.....are S-E doing the type of thing Capcom are doing with their Framework engine? (develop on PC till game is about 60% done then make PS3 and/or 360 tweaks to the game)

enlighten me...

Do people on this forum believe it is possible to create a game on the console?

Of course it's created on the PC. EVERYTHING IS.

Muffdraul

_leech_ said:
edit: Beaten? How could someone beat me to such an obscure reference!?! :mad:

Chrono Cross... "obscure"?

*FAP* *FAP* *FAP* *FAP* *FAP* *FAP* *FAP* *FAP* *FAP* *FAP* *FAP* *FAP* *FAP* *FAP* *FAP*

Haunted

Awesome graphics.

Now all that's left is some videos to see it in motion, especially the battle system.

edit: and every game starts out, and spends most of its development time on the PC, but this doesn't mean that there will be a PC version, of course.

jax (old)

Banned
AmMortal said:
No, not really. I dont know much about game developing.

for the 3D max/maya/xsi... could also be on linux

for the animation - a variety of packages and how it could be impleneted. MOCAP vs traditional

the ps3 does have its own platform to develop/code on. Xbox360 and PC architecture are very close as already established. The code btw x360/ps3 titles are affected by the console architecture and this is why multiplatform engines need development time.

There's a lot to the game developement process and it all depends on the studios.

Quite interesting this title actually when both versions hit - will be quite interesting to note the differences or lack of.

Desi

duckroll said:
final-fantasy-xiii-20080826034718288.jpg
every time i see that background I feel like they just MSpainted most of the pipes on FFXI style!

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
gregor7777 said:
Do people on this forum believe it is possible to create a game on the console?

Of course it's created on the PC. EVERYTHING IS.

THERE IT IS!!:lol :lol

Um, so, anyway, last gen we had this:

playstation22dtlt10000tool_ps2_01.jpg

PlayStation 2 2 DTL-T10000 TOOL
PLATFORM

PlayStation 2
DEVELOPER

Sony
PUBLISHER

Sony
SERIES

Development Unit
The most sought after, and the most mysterious piece of PlayStation 2 development hardware ever uncovered. Capable of operating in three different modes, including a regular workstation mode, this 13 kg monster of a machine lets the owner do pretty much anything with it he or she could wish. But then it also comes with a price tag matching a faily nice sports car.

The specs:

Suggested Retail Price: 19,000 USD (tax not included)
Dimensions: 230mm (W) x 405 mm (H) x 422mm (D) (9 1/8" x 16 1/8" x 16 5/8")
Weight: Approximately 13 kg (28 lbs. 8 oz.)
Operational Modes:
-"TOOL" (development environment)
-"WS" (workstation)
-"CPU EE" (Emotion Engine®)
Clock Frequency: 294.912 MHz
Main Memory: 128MB (Direct RDRAM)
Graphics Processor GS (Graphics Synthesizer)
-Clock Frequency: 147.456MHz
-Embedded Cache VRAM: 4MB
I/O Processor PlayStation CPU+
- Clock Frequency: 33.8688/36.864MHz
- IOP Memory: 2MB
Communication Processor: MMX Pentium 233MHz
Hard Discs: 3.5" HDD (2) (Maximum 3)
Communication Processor WS Mode DVD/CD Emulator (optional)
External Interfaces:
- Controller Port (2)
- Memory Card Slot (2)
- AV Multi Out Optical Digital Out
- USB Port (2)
- IEEE1394 (i.LINK) Port
- PlayStation2 AV Cable
- PC Card Interface (Type III)
- Network Terminal (100 Base-T/10 Base-T)
- S Video
Input Power Requirements: AC100 - 240V (± 10%) 50/60 HZ (± 10%)
Power Consumption: 3.8 A (100V), 1.6 A (240V)

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=VAo&sa=N

Do they not do SDKs with console hareware within anymore?

arne

So I see 7 cutscene shots and 3, possibly even only 2, in-game shots and you guys are this excited? yeesh.

that being said, all the shots are quite stellar.

Kleegamefan said:
Do they not do SDKs with console hardware within anymore?

yes, could you imagine if development happens off of the SDK hardware proper? shocking isn't it.

Kleegamefan said:
but.....aren't there PS3 TOOL SDKs out there with PS3 hardware within?

*hoping not to get condencending answers from this honest question*

Everything is created on a PC, compiled for the dev kit, and then ran on the dev kit. No real work is done on the target platform.

Kleegamefan said:
THERE IT IS!!:lol :lol

My point is that the development (code, assets, sound, whatever) is created in a PC environment. Whether or not that unit has console hardware inside is a different matter.

Vustadumas said:
Everything is created on a PC, compiled for the dev kit, and then ran on the dev kit. No real work is done on the target platform.

Exactly. Until I read some of these posts the thought never occurred to me that some of you guys thought the games were being developed on the console itself sans any PC functionality.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
arne said:
So I see 7 cutscene shots and 3, possibly even only 2, in-game shots and you guys are this excited? yeesh.

Who cares if they are cutscene shots?! It's still in-engine (rather than pre-rendered CG). It demonstrates what the visuals can look like while actually running on the hardware.

Really really impressive stuff. The quality of the models exceeds just about everything I've seen to date.

duckroll

arne said:

None of the shots are in-game. They're all cutscenes shots, taken from the recent new trailers from DKS3713. I only promised direct feed HD realtime shots! I never said anything about gameplay! :)

FFChris

arne said:

We've had so little for such a long time. Even snippets like this are nothing short of incredible.

duckroll said:
None of the shots are in-game. They're all cutscenes shots, taken from the recent new trailers from DKS3713. I only promised direct feed HD realtime shots! I never said anything about gameplay! :)
Realtime cutscenes are still considered in-game, just not gameplay. In game stands for in-game engine.

duckroll

JCreasy said:
oh no you didn't

Yeah, I did. Have you seen the game running? Looks pretty mediocre for a next-gen game. The only interesting things about the game are the artworks shown and the FMV. Even then, knowing Level 5 the plot will be total crap, why bother?

duckroll said:

Are you aware sir of the damage you've done? Of course you are, silly man you.

Metalmurphy said:
Realtime cutscenes are still considered in-game, just not gameplay. In game stands for in-game engine.

So to be clear, most of these shots are not actually running in-engine?

arne

duckroll said:

I didn't see what you promised. >.<
I mistook realtime as not (pre-rendered/in-engine) cutscene shots, but gameplay shots.

Then they have 8 stellar shots and 2 crappy ones for cutscene shots :p haha.

and, i also have mixed my metaphors in my first post, so apologies. in-game / gameplay. argh.

JCreasy said:
oh no you didn't

Well, to be fair, absolutely nothing has been seen of WKS since September 2007. The existing screens are starting to look rather worn out by now.

Expect a huge WKS showing in October though.

duckroll

Metalmurphy said:

Really? Because we're talking about FF here. Every single FF has had seperate models and details for gameplay scenes and cutscenes. It's all realtime, but there's definitely a difference. That's the only thing arne could have meant, since all the shots are clearly realtime. :p

Zophar

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Looks amazing. Also looks wayyyyyy too clean to not be bullshots. By the gods I'll give away my first born if it really looks like these pics.
Is there something wrong with your eyes? There's tons of shimmering, just look at the hair. They're definitely direct-feed.

jax (old)

Banned
dark10x said:
Really really impressive stuff. The quality of the models exceeds just about everything I've seen to date.

MGS4 = the same imo. The japanese modelling gods and their abiltiy to finesse shit is amazing.

Top Bottom