• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXIII and FFVersusXIII direct feed HD realtime shots from IGN (56k stuck on SD)

duckroll

h3ro said:
Any ridiculously hi-res versions of these shots to found? I need me some new XMB backgrounds!

Why would you want blown up shots? These are in 720p, which is what the game will be running in. If you want blown up shots you can just blow them up yourself in Photoshop. :lol

jax (old)

Banned
well, that's that. I'm going to start playing my sealed copy of FFXII now. It'll be a year+ before I get to play FFXIII anyhow. :(

still..

AMAZZINGGG.

+

squareenix needs to poach the team that enabled mistwalker to do a simul US/JAPAN release on their games

for people that first say it's in pc environment. is there any reason to think that the ps3 version won't look like that?

I think I know it's developed in pc, but surely they're developing that with ps3 spec in mind, and I think they are far enough in the development that they do actually have the game running on ps3 at the moment because the demo is supposed to come out to public in about 6 month or so.

saying it's on pc is just making it confusing to some people. as far as we know there's only ps3 and 360 version, and the 360 version is not even started yet, so the screen here is from the ps3 version.

duckroll said:
Really? Because we're talking about FF here. Every single FF has had seperate models and details for gameplay scenes and cutscenes. It's all realtime, but there's definitely a difference. That's the only thing arne could have meant, since all the shots are clearly realtime. :p
Are you sure about that? I don't remember that being the case when the model extractors for FFX came out. I could be wrong though.

Spiegel

Metalmurphy said:
Are you sure about that? I don't remember that being the case when the model extractors for FFX came out. I could be wrong though.

x44sk6.jpg

x44tpw.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Jax said:
MGS4 = the same imo. The japanese modelling gods and their abiltiy to finesse shit is amazing.
I suppose MGS4 is very close, but the difference in design allows these characters to seem more detailed. Also, MGS4 is capable of displaying a LOT of characters on screen during cutscenes so it has a tighter polygon budget.

arne

Metalmurphy said:

Great now I've derailed part of the thread with something I misunderstood.
bah.

duckroll

dark10x said:
I suppose MGS4 is very close, but the difference in design allows these characters to seem more detailed. Also, MGS4 is capable of displaying a LOT of characters on screen during cutscenes so it has a tighter polygon budget.

MGS4 looks better than FFXIII imo. The details and facial modeling is better, and clothing design is less outlandish so it actually looks more realistic and smoother. Versus on the hand, is just something else altogether.

arne said:
bah.

Don't worry about it, you didn't derail anything. I expected this thread to be about comparisons and criticisms on direct feed realtime shots from the games, nothing more. It's just a bunch of screens, if we don't over-analyse the hell out of them, what's the point of a thread even? :)

WrikaWrek

Banned
Regarding FFX model differences, man you could notice that blatantly when playing the game.

duckroll said:
MGS4 looks better than FFXIII imo. The details and facial modeling is better, and clothing design is less outlandish so it actually looks more realistic and smoother. Versus on the hand, is just something else altogether.

How does Versus look better than XIII in these shots?

dark10x

Really? Because we're talking about FF here. Every single FF has had seperate models and details for gameplay scenes and cutscenes. It's all realtime, but there's definitely a difference. That's the only thing arne could have meant, since all the shots are clearly realtime. :p
That's not quite right, actually. Yes, they had different models, but it wasn't just cutscenes versus gameplay. They would swap in lower detail models when more than 1 or 2 characters were on screen. During close-ups and selective shots they used high quality models, but when a larger group of characters were used they switched to the lower poly models (which were also used in game, I believe). So, cutscenes had variable quality as well.

I doubt such a drastic difference will occur here due to the higher resolution. You would really notice such a difference. The difference will probably be more subtle ala MGS4 or even Uncharted. The in game models, from the player perspective, appear to be just as detailed as the cutscenes unless you examine them more closely.

I dunno, there were plenty of details in MGS4 that looked a bit flat in comparison to these shots. They are pretty close, though. MGS4 was very impressive in that regard and stands as one of the best examples of modeling I've seen in a game.

Callibretto said:
for people that first say it's in pc environment. is there any reason to think that the ps3 version won't look like that?

I think I know it's developed in pc, but surely they're developing that with ps3 spec in mind, and I think they are far enough in the development that they do actually have the game running on ps3 at the moment because the demo is supposed to come out to public in about 6 month or so.

saying it's on pc is just making it confusing to some people. as far as we know there's only ps3 and 360 version, and the 360 version is not even started yet, so the screen here is from the ps3 version.

The screens are very likely framebuffer grabs running from a PS3 dev kit. FFXIII has been in development for over 3 years. If they didn't have it compiled and running on a PS3 dev kit yet, it's highly unlikely they would have a playable demo ready to ship in March.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Oh yeah both game look fuckgin ace!

Btw is just me or is FFversus 13 looking better to me design wise? Damn don't know but hey I actually loved FF8 so maybe that is why I like the more set in reality approach of the shots.

arne said:
bah.
Nah, no derail, just a side step :p

gregor7777 said:
So to be clear, most of these shots are not actually running in-engine?
I supposed they could record the ingame engine and make it a video for background loading purposes and such, like Ratchet and Clank and HS, but I doubt it. All previous FFs were ingame engine. Except for the obvious CG FMVs :p

duckroll

WrikaWrek said:

It has skyscrapers. ^_^

dark10x said:
I dunno, there were plenty of details in MGS4 that looked a bit flat in comparison to these shots. They are pretty close, though. MGS4 was very impressive in that regard and stands as one of the best examples of modeling I've seen in a game.

Here's something that looks flat in FFXIII. Look at Mr 33cm's chest here. :)

final-fantasy-xiii-20080826034725928.jpg

dark10x

Metalmurphy said:
I supposed they could record the ingame engine and make it a video for background loading purposes and such, like Ratchet and Clank and HS, but I doubt it. All previous FFs were ingame engine. Except for the obvious CG FMVs :p
Hey now, let's give Ratchet some credit. The majority of the cutscenes in Tools of Destruction were realtime. It was obvious because the framerate would be higher (60 fps with slowdown) as opposed to locked 30 fps (plus artifacts). You can see this further by looking at the cutscene viewer. Only pre-recorded scenes can be viewed and most of the main story scenes are NOT in there.

Heavenly Sword, however, used nothing but video and it probably WAS to hide the AWFUL loading that was occuring. Of course, Uncharted also used videos.

This is why I give major props to the MGS4 team. Outside of two exceptions, all of their cutscenes were 100% realtime and many of those scenes were highly complex. Very impressive. I'm sure that will be the case for FFXIII as well. As an RPG, they could not possibly pre-recorded all of the scenes as even a 50gb Blu-ray could not hold that much data easily. There will probably be CG (as usual) but it will look better than this and only be used in select instances.

Muffdraul

WrikaWrek said:

I invite you to join me in giving up trying to figure out how anyone could possibly give a shit about Versus in light of FFXIII.

WrikaWrek

Banned
duckroll said:
Here's something that looks flat in FFXIII. Look at Mr 33cm's chest here. :)

Like Raiden. Don't see the problem, MGS4 is just as guilty of that.

Muffdraul said:
I invite you to join me in giving up trying to figure out how anyone could possibly give a shit about Versus in light of FFXIII.

Gonna have to pass that up. Versus looks awesome, and the dude is wearing a suit. Finally some gangsta shit.

Versus is gonna be the sequel to FF8 i've been waiting for. FFXIII is the sequel to FFX i've been waiting for.

Top Bottom