• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV 2017 TGS Summary- Plans for 2018, Second Season Pass would be 4 DLCs of Content

Marcel

For sure it's annoying now we get it. You want Xvi this team isn't making it so give it a rest already

Yep, lol.

It would be easier to discuss the future content updates of FFXV AND the future direction of the series if people could keep their salt in the shaker and not act like Tabata euthanized their dog or something. Discussing XV is definitely better than it used to be at least but some things still bear repeating.

More on point, I would hope that a second season pass would be offered at a discount for existing season pass owners.

MAX PAYMENT

Is it profitable for them to keep putting out FFXV content?

I haven't played the game since launch, has the base game changed in any significant ways?

How are the currently released DLCs?

Koozek

Can the second season pass offer better outfits preferably ff outfits of the past
It's honestly surprising that they didn't sell tons of Costume DLCs, btw. Could've made easy money with cosmetic stuff. Saw today that Street Fighter V costumes cost almost as much as one of FFXV's Episode DLC, lol.

I'm excited for all of this! I can't wait for more content. I also hope that one day we can get some outfits from previous FF games.

Also this thread is a roller coaster of emotions and it's going exactly how a FFXV would go haha!

It's honestly surprising that they didn't sell tons of Costume DLCs, btw. Could've made easy money with cosmetic stuff. Saw today that Street Fighter V costumes cost almost as much as one of FFXV's Episode DLC, lol.
I mean I'm glad they not over charging like that or persona 5 but sheesh where's my cloud outfit it fits perfectly

I haven't played the game since launch, has the base game changed in any significant ways?

They had 500k people fill out thier survey, if they have that many people buying DLC then absolutely its profitable.

The most significant new content is separate from the main game, the biggest in game change is probably off road driving,

I like the character episodes alot, carnival stuff is ok, nothing special.

Marcel

If sales from the first season pass were poor they would likely not be pressing on to do a second. We would probably only receive special event and holiday-type updates until the end of support date.

Don't think I can pay for another season pass. As it is, it feels like I might have paid to get access to content that should have been in the original game.

Actually that brings up another question.

With the hypothetical second season pass, will there also be more events ala Assassin's Creed?

StarVigil

Fuck it, if they actually wanna do a second season pass to flesh out all the story bits, I'm not gonna stop them. FF7R is in development, KH3 is coming next year. FF14 is still going strong. Since FF16 won't be out this gen anyways, I'm okay with them continuing development on FFXV. At least it's not left to rot like MGSV. Hopefully in a year we'll have a fully fleshed out story worthy of replay.

Koozek

Actually that brings up another question.

With the hypothetical second season pass, will there also be more events ala Assassin's Creed?
Well, they seem to be open to do more.
Tabata-san explained that Square Enix worked directly with the Assassin’s Creed development team as part of a close collaboration to bring the content to life. This level of collaboration was enabled by the mutual respect the two development teams had for each other.

Square Enix hoped for both Final Fantasy and Assassin’s Creed fans to enjoy the content, and Tabata-san believes that this goal was achieved. While there is nothing else planned at the moment in terms of other collaborations or crossovers, if another chance like this appeared that could be beneficial for both sides, it’s “definitely” something the team would like to look into.

Tabata-san also shared that the trailer was revealed at a fan event at Ubisoft’s booth at Gamescom, at first the Assassin’s Creed fans were surprised and they weren’t realizing what was going on, then they responded enthusiastically, and there were some Final Fantasy XV fans there as well, so he feels that the two fan bases overlap at least partly.

So there you have it, straight from the lion’s mouth. If you’re a developer and would like to cross your game over with Final Fantasy XV, the door isn’t closed. Give Square Enix a call.

A Monster Hunter World collabo would be an obvious fit, imo. Like, hunt quests with monsters from MHW or something.

Comrades getting single-player playability was probably the biggest surprise of the show. The confirmation that they're bringing new content out into 2018 is very welcome too of course, but man they've really done some amazing things with this game.

Falchion

I had no clue Square had these kinds of plans for XV when it came out. The support has honestly been fantastic, even if you don't buy the pass.

Quite a bit of the costumes released for XV have been free too. Lol. The episode DLCs even include costumes for the title character.

SFV and Persona 5 costume prices are crazy to me.

Good to see the game being successful, but man that drop in Japan still really stings.

Probably doesn't phase them considering the game has sold more copies in under a year than most FF games with the exception of maybe FFVII and X.

Fukuzatsu

Good to see the game being successful, but man that drop in Japan still really stings.

Still, considering the way people talk about the PS4, and consoles in general in Japan, the fact that it's a million seller there (price cuts or not) is something of an achievement. The two best-selling games on PS4 are both from Square Enix and both sold 1mil or more. SE shouldn't be upset with results like that.

Koozek

Fuck it, if they actually wanna do a second season pass to flesh out all the story bits, I'm not gonna stop them. FF7R is in development, KH3 is coming next year. FF14 is still going strong. Since FF16 won't be out this gen anyways, I'm okay with them continuing development on FFXV. At least it's not left to rot like MGSV. Hopefully in a year we'll have a fully fleshed out story worthy of replay.
I think FFXVI will be out before FFVIIR now. Wouldn't be surprised if they teased it relatively soon too or within next year (just a logo, concept art, or something). You never know with SE. I also think it would be very unusual for the series not to have at least two unreleased mainline titles announced (if we count FFVIIR as one, which I would put on the back of your minds for now anyway).

Comrades getting single-player playability was probably the biggest surprise of the show. The confirmation that they're bringing new content out into 2018 is very welcome too of course, but man they've really done some amazing things with this game.
We knew that last month already from the official website:
The beta requires PS+ since they want you to play online so they can test the servers. Final release lets you play solo with A.I partners without PS+ going from the official site info:
https://finalfantasyxv.com/comrades/

Beta: Choose from one of three quests, with up to three legs to each quest. All players will be matched online in the test version.

Full release: Explore quests with storylines as well as singleplayer quests. Join up to three other players online with a subscription to PlayStation®Plus or an Xbox Live Gold membership, or fight alongside three AI companions.

Toth

You have to appeal to the west to be as successful as possible. If you look at a Japan specific title, DQ XI may max out just over 3-4 million in Japan and that's largely thanks to the 3DS version. The surprise success of the PS4 version still only has it doing maybe 300k more than FF XV so far. Unfortunately, sales outside Japan are likely be low. The market is still disappointingly small for the jRPG WW and titles like Nier and Persona seem more like outliers than a general market trend..

Falk

that puzzling face
I believe there's a market for "JRPG" JRPGs, the way FF7 took the west by storm and still pretty much was as Squaresoft a product as it got.

Unfortunately, what was mega-hit numbers back then, and what are mega-hit numbers now are completely different, so yes, anything AAA definitely has to appeal to a very different crowd from twenty years ago, but I think properly-budgeted projects still have a place. More Setsunas, Octopath Travelers, Niers, etc. Preferably with the reception of the latter two, heh.

Ah the hot takes never get old! Keep em coming!

It's not like we've heard the same thing in every other related thread!

Do you really have to do this?

True Fire

This game is going to be amazing once it's done updating and the mod scene has been established. I don't regret the bumpy road one bit.

Monster hunter and kingdom hearts income

Edit:dammit koozek
Thanks for the info Koozek!

But yeah Monster Hunter and Kingdom Hearts would be awesome collaboration events!

If they do a KH one I hope that they get Yoko to make some more music.

This game is going to be amazing once it's done updating and the mod scene has been established. I don't regret the bumpy road one bit.
It's been a fun ride for sure it apparently is t stopping yet either

Thanks for the info Koozek!

But yeah Monster Hunter and Kingdom Hearts would be awesome collaboration events!

If they do a KH one I hope that they get Yoko to make some more music.
She has to make some for kh3 first Xp

Koozek

I believe there's a market for "JRPG" JRPGs, the way FF7 took the west by storm and still pretty much was as Squaresoft a product as it got.

Unfortunately, what was mega-hit numbers back then, and what are mega-hit numbers now are completely different, so yes, anything AAA definitely has to appeal to a very different crowd from twenty years ago, but I think properly-budgeted projects still have a place. More Setsunas, Octopath Travelers, Niers, etc. Preferably with the reception of the latter two, heh.
Exactamente.

given how slow as molasses the season pass content has been I can't imagine there is many suckers out there willing to buy another season pass.

True Fire

I want them to continue with guest composers for future DLCs. It gives them their own vibe, you know? Episodes Gladio and Prompto stood out largely because of their music.

Oemenia

Banned
Probably doesn't phase them considering the game has sold more copies in under a year than most FF games with the exception of maybe FFVII and X.
Still, considering the way people talk about the PS4, and consoles in general in Japan, the fact that it's a million seller there (price cuts or not) is something of an achievement. The two best-selling games on PS4 are both from Square Enix and both sold 1mil or more. SE shouldn't be upset with results like that.
You have to appeal to the west to be as successful as possible. If you look at a Japan specific title, DQ XI may max out just over 3-4 million in Japan and that's largely thanks to the 3DS version. The surprise success of the PS4 version still only has it doing maybe 300k more than FF XV so far. Unfortunately, sales outside Japan are likely be low. The market is still disappointingly small for the jRPG WW and titles like Nier and Persona seem more like outliers than a general market trend..
I was hoping to see the games relight console gaming in Japan so maybe why the numbers seem a little disappointing especially since XV has disappeared from the charts even with the pricecuts.

Toth

I was hoping to see the games relight console gaming in Japan so maybe why the numbers seem a little disappointing especially since XV has disappeared from the charts even with the pricecuts.

XV has been out since the end of November though. Very few games are still charting from the start of the year and those that are probably not moving more than a couple thousand.

Zophar

I enjoyed FF15 but good luck getting me to buy a second season pass. I haven't even looked at the first yet.

Ah. 700 songs....

Well I'm sure it will be done soon. Hopefully.

I am pretty sure he's joking.

XV has been out since the end of November though. Very few games are still charting from the start of the year and those that are probably not moving more than a couple thousand.

XV pops up on the charts still every once in a while. It still has legs.

Ludens

Banned
I would be ok if a season pass provides additional contents, but for now the first season pass just serves the purpose of filling plot holes. In a 10 years in development game, I can't accept it honestly.

It's funny, I actually called this release schedule 11 years ago, difference being I thought it would be stuff after the game rather then to fix the game.

Top Bottom