• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 12 |OT| LOVE FOOTBALL, PLAY FOOTBALL

sun-drop

man ... i think EA seriously fucked themselves over .... an avid UT player throygh EVERy fifa to have it ..... F12 ... i've hardly even touched it. h2h all the way ... got my way to Div 6 so far. addictive.

me scorcing to level my latest match 4 - 4

http://www.ea.com/uk/football/videos/ugc/104310169

that skip fwd move rob does before scoring there , has to be my single fav new move in this years game, so so satisfying, and effective, and feels natural. LOVE IT

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
man ... i think EA seriously fucked themselves over .... an avid UT player throygh EVERy fifa to have it ..... F12 ... i've hardly even touched it. h2h all the way ... got my way to Div 6 so far. addictive.

me scorcing to level my latest match 4 - 4

http://www.ea.com/uk/football/videos/ugc/104310169

that skip fwd move rob does before scoring there , has to be my single fav new move in this years game, so so satisfying, and effective, and feels natural. LOVE IT

i hate that move. it goes off randomly all the time. only once has it led to a goal for me and honestly i was trying to shoot before it went off anyway.

sun-drop

its just a right stick nudge at the right time, i've pulled it off with rob and pato quite alot so i guess those types of players do it best

Joe

Ok there is definitely a massive "invisible hand" guiding the gameplay in this game and it is lame/annoying as fuck!

sneaky77

So I don't know if EA have done one of those engine tweaks overnight or what, but they totally fucked the game up even more or it feels like it.

From yesterday to today, I have noticed the game is now way faster, plus I have now no time on the ball.. either that or just happened that every single person I played was using the same custom tactic but imo the game is now really fucked, at least to this pt I was enjoying it for the most part but this whole speeded up on roids bs is just not for me.

I may be seeing things, but that was my take playing today as compared to yesterday

Thrakier

I tried to install a custom chant pack. Downloaded the files, extractet them, added them to the WMP library. I can see the playlists for every team in the menu but the soundfiles are not working. I guess the playlists file are not working because they aren' working in WMP already. I get to the file I want to if I click the playlists but the file itself are not working (the files are fine though, if I directly navigate to them they work). So...uhm...what to do?

Thrakier

So I'm trying so hard to like this game because there is so much which is great but I just can't. Is there any "trick" to it, something I'm doing wrong?

- AI player movement is dumb. I hate it how the left/right defenders are just backing up when I want to play a fast counterattack. It's often like that that my forward has the ball but no one is moving with me so I just can play it back to a midfielder and I don't find a way to go upfront. It's like they just don't change positions.

- It's hilarious how the AI is trying to dribble like till they are almost IN the goal instead of shooting from positions every player in the world would shoot.

- I barely shoot goals. The game is so slow and boring and everything is happening in the midfield. It's like there is barely any offense gameplay.

- Ball physics STILL feel off. It feels like the game is taking place on the moon or under water, I don't know. I just can't get used to it. I know it has improved but to me it still feels like a Fifa game, meaning, Fifa games like from 10 years ago had about the same feeling in the core as this one. Although obviously Fifa 12 is much better. But in it's core it's still that weird Fifa feeling.

- I feeld like the devs sacrificed the actual FUN of playing a football game for the sake of a soccer game which LOOKS like a real soccer game. It does indeed. But it's not fun.

EDIT:

Oh and the INTERCEPTIONS! THE INTERCEOPTIONS! Dear god, please don't make me start on that. It feels so fucking scripted and dumb. 90% of the time I sewar I just get intercepted because the game wants it to happen. Feels so unnatural and almost laughabel. like in a comic.

sneaky77

So I'm trying so hard to like this game because there is so much which is great but I just can't. Is there any "trick" to it, something I'm doing wrong?

- AI player movement is dumb. I hate it how the left/right defenders are just backing up when I want to play a fast counterattack. It's often like that that my forward has the ball but no one is moving with me so I just can play it back to a midfielder and I don't find a way to go upfront. It's like they just don't change positions.

Have you messed around with custom tactics and changing the arrows on the players in the formations?

Thrakier

Have you messed around with custom tactics and changing the arrows on the players in the formations?

No, not really. Coming from PES I find the menues laggy and less than intuitive. But mabye that's just something you need to get used to.

But thb I won't try anymore. I tried PES again after the patches and besides all problems, I think it's much better regarding the gameplay. And it's actually fun to play, it's like it really lets you play soccer instead of concentrating to make the game look like a TV broadcast. But it's still not what it should be. I think it's another year without a soccer game for me.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.

- It's hilarious how the AI is trying to dribble like till they are almost IN the goal instead of shooting from positions every player in the world would shoot.

- I barely shoot goals. The game is so slow and boring and everything is happening in the midfield. It's like there is barely any offense gameplay.

- Ball physics STILL feel off. It feels like the game is taking place on the moon or under water, I don't know. I just can't get used to it. I know it has improved but to me it still feels like a Fifa game, meaning, Fifa games like from 10 years ago had about the same feeling in the core as this one. Although obviously Fifa 12 is much better. But in it's core it's still that weird Fifa feeling.

- I feeld like the devs sacrificed the actual FUN of playing a football game for the sake of a soccer game which LOOKS like a real soccer game. It does indeed. But it's not fun.

EDIT:

Oh and the INTERCEPTIONS! THE INTERCEOPTIONS! Dear god, please don't make me start on that. It feels so fucking scripted and dumb. 90% of the time I sewar I just get intercepted because the game wants it to happen. Feels so unnatural and almost laughabel. like in a comic.

You playin' single player? The AI is a cheating piece of shit that dwarfs friendly AI and allows the overall game AI to manipulate the speed and pace of the game not to mention boost itself with a disturbing amount of benefits even at the lowest levels.

Playing single player is not recommended.

Thrakier

You playin' single player? The AI is a cheating piece of shit that dwarfs friendly AI and allows the overall game AI to manipulate the speed and pace of the game not to mention boost itself with a disturbing amount of benefits even at the lowest levels.

Playing single player is not recommended.

Yeah, played SP. I think PES does the same to a certain extent but at least I have the feeling that I somehow have the control over what's happening. Besides the damn CPU dribblings. -.-

Fifa should seriously adapt the new AI from PES for next years version because it's actually quite good. The thing where you can tell your players manually where to run is a godsend.

Thrakier

What level are you playing on? And sliders help, so look into those. You can check over at OS for some and see which suits you.

Playing on medium (Pro or what's it called?). Really, I don't want to look into configure the game till it's playable...that seems so...random. I expect the devs to make it enjoayble from the get got.

GHG

Gold Member
Playing on medium (Pro or what's it called?). Really, I don't want to look into configure the game till it's playable...that seems so...random. I expect the devs to make it enjoayble from the get got.

The game is random because you're not taking the time to configure it to your tastes. Thats the beauty of it.

Thrakier

The game is random because you're not taking the time to configure it to your tastes. Thats the beauty of it.

The beauty is manipulating game stats? I don't think so. I wouldn't even touch the game spped slider in PES. I want the dev to decide how the game should be played.

Meier

Since the Cloud storage addition went live for everyone, I can now play my Virtual Pro on both systems. Pretty jazzed about that... not sure if it will save accomplishments every time though or what. Initially, I couldn't even play him at all on the other machine.

WARNING: Large Ultimate Team related post incoming, along with grainy cell phone camera pictures. And towards the end, I ended up veering towards writing it almost as an AR thing, I'm not sure why, but I felt like I had to share! Mods, please tell me if this isn't appropriate or needs to be deleted/moved. This is the largest post I've ever done with images, please don't ban me!

I just got out of a match where I played basically all the big name players that I will never, ever even come close to owning. And I won! I don't have a PVR, but man if I have ever wished for one, it was today. I felt so strongly about it that I wrote up a match report.

Introductions to the sides:
Here was his side:
yn3HW.jpg

"BarcaHollywood" was the squad name.
3-4-3
Pedro(CR7 Sub) - Messi - A. Sanchez
Villa - Iniesta - Xavi - Fabregas
Puyol- Pique - Fontas
Valdes

Basically the entire Barcelona lineup, although he had a strange choice of silver defender in Fontas. I'm not sure why when someone of his financial capability can very EASILY afford like Ramos or Pepe. Or hell, even Dani Alves given that he's going for the whole Barca thing. Maybe he didn't want to play them out of position.

Here was my side:
m8rK7.jpg

"Budget ManU"
4-4-2
Welbeck-Lukaku (qq Berbatov injured)
Giggs - Anderson - Fletcher - J.Park
Fabio - Smalling - Jones - Rafael
De Gea

My objective in Ultimate Team was always to start small and go from there. This meant that I started with Bronze teams initially and then made the move to Gold much later. I didn't really stop at silver midway, because I found most of the players I wanted to be cost effective. I would learn later on about the quirks in the FUT economy and why silver players cost more than gold players with comparable or better stats. Eventually, I grew bored with the random, mish-mash "Ultimate" squads I was making on a budget and decided to go for recreating one of my favorite teams. It was Manchester United also because most of their players are decent and don't cost an arm and a leg if you don't get the superstars. Without Rooney, Vidic, Ferdinand and Nani; I was able to get almost the entire squad for about 1k each, with a few exceptions.

On to the match report.

I started out the match very apprehensively, in preparation for what was going to come my way courtesy of Messi and Sanchez. I started out with possession, and I was determined not to give it away cheaply. Just like real life, I expected that if I let the ball go, I wasn't going to get it back for a very long time.

It was a bizarre start, which ended up in a fairly fortunate goal for me. Right from kickoff, I made a few standard passes around midfield. Park made the run up the right and Fletcher fed him a nice pass. Puyol & Pedro were marking Park, and Rafael made the overlapping run to pull Puyol away.

zi8mM.jpg

The ball finally ended up at Welbeck's feet, inside the right wing overlap via a nice pass from Park. He dribbled it near the box, and came up against the tall figure of Pique between himself and Valdes (Puyol was taken out of the picture by Rafael's run).

h9zKE.jpg

Lukaku cut in front of Fontas at the far post and started screaming for the pass. Welbeck dwelled on it a little too long before he made the pass, but Pique was not able to complete a clean challenge.

WF9FM.jpg

The ball barely made it's way to Lukaku. He felt the pressure of both Valdes and Fontas right behind him.

0mzWY.jpg

It was a awkward finish, low to goalkeeper's right, but it was enough. Manchester "Budget" United were up 1-0 at 3'!

On the restart, I was fairly nervous. Teams are most vulnerable right after a goal in real life, and this rule applies in Fifa 12 as well (maybe too well!). Luckily, I was able to stop Messi after about 3 roulettes with Fabio. He had spun his way past Welbeck, Anderson and Smalling by then. I cleared it immediately, and didn't try to control it or backpass as I would usually do. Any sort of mistake with possession in that kind of a situation with the class of players he had would lead to a goal, and I wanted to minimize that chance even if it would cost me possession.

Like a good team (and a good player), he held on to most of the ball until his first chance in the 19' minute. Eventually there was an opening, but it wasn't the most powerful shot by Messi, as he was being boxed in by my defense. De Gea was able to make the simple save to his right without spilling it out and I breathed a sigh of relief.

This was looking a much more possible task now.

Eventually in the 28th minute, Lukaku was able to get free down the right wing, owning to the huge tracts of land that were left open thanks to the 3 man defense. He made it to the corner flag and whipped in a great cross. Or, was it a shot on goal?

ydMG1.jpg

The ball went off the bar into touch! That chance seemed to segue right into another one in the 32' minute.

aSgpd.jpg

Fletcher was able to pass it straight down the middle into Welbeck.

CYVci.jpg

He flicked it to Lukaku on the right and immediately made his run into the box to receive the return pass, throwing off his marker who over committed himself.

yKase.jpg

Lukaku simply put it into Welbeck's path with enough weight to beat Puyol and Fontas, with enough in it to allow Welbeck to take the shot in his stride.

F8S1a.jpg

And what a finish it was! A low, hard shot to the right bottom corner heralded the second goal, as the stadium roared into life.

Lukaku hit the post twice in the following plays.
MBurH.jpg
5RZCX.jpg

Once with a header and with a low curled shot. Both times Valdes was beaten, but the bar came to his rescue. Valdes could rightly claim that the uprights are part of any good goalkeeper's equipment, denying both goal scoring opportunities to a disheartened Lukaku.

There was another spell of good possession by "Hollywood" Barcelona right after those chances ending in a low drilled shot by Iniesta that tested De Gea. Luckily, the United GK was up to the test with a nice low save to his left. That was effectively the last spell of action before the half time whistle sounded.

As the second half started, I was encouraged by the great first half performance by my team. Keeping in mind that a 2-0 lead against the kind of opposition I was facing, I instructed my team to be a little more defensive than usual. The players would take care to make safer passes and only search for genuine opportunities instead of half chances.

In the 49th minute, Lukaku once again found himself face to face with Valdes. He took the shot, and was once more foiled by the crossbar.

Chvob.jpg

Unfortunately, the more defensive switch seemed to kill the game for both sides. Messi was able to get one on one with the goalkeeper in the 59th minute, but a charging De Gea managed to pull off a scrappy save. Instead of the usual graceful finish, the crowd in the stands were greeted by an ungraceful clearence from Fabio, high into the stands.

It seemed that the game would peter out to a 2-0 finish.
EryWo.jpg

The Barcelona manager subbed in C.Ronaldo in the 81st minute for Pedro, in the hopes of injecting some life into the attack. This move seemed to be positive for Barca, but they could not capitalize on their chances.

TBuXZ.jpg

Eventually, there was a counter attack for United, lead by Lukaku, Anderson and Welbeck. Lukaku whipped in another cross from the right as he was able to do quite freely most of the game. Welbeck seemed to go down in the box from a challenge from Fontas, but the referee was not interested. Fontas was able to get to the ball first as a result, with Welbeck in a heap on the floor. However, Fontas' clearence was not nearly convincing enough and was intercepted by Anderson streaking in to the box. Pique attempted to correct the mistake by covering Anderson, but not before he got a quick volley off. Here, Fontas's troubles were doubled when he served as the deflection that put the ball past Valdes. 3-0!

lhc20.jpg

The third goal capped off a remarkable performance by United in the face of a clearly superior Barcelona side. Somehow, United had managed to outpossess a sterling midfield of the world's best players. Their defense was built on the strong performances put in by Smalling and Jones, and some strong defensive midfield support by Fletcher. It was a victory that the team would not soon forget, and it lifted all of their morales as they went on to face other challenges. There would be many more losses and wins in their future, but this would be a special victory for each one of them. In the crucible of victory are great teams forged, and this squad was well on their way.

sneaky77

I think is getting to the point where exploiting the custom tactics is common and the game is now pretty much ruined. Oh well.. while custom tactics and formations are a great idea, EA's implementation ruins the game eventually when everyone learns the exploits for them. Probably time to cash out and try to get some money out of it

Syntsui

I'm suffering major lag after head to head matches, a lot of crashes too. The menu's lag and the constant crashes are really anoying. Is EA aware of these problems? PS3 version.

Meier

I think they must have recently introduced a bug with signing players from your Youth Academy. I have a dude who is going to be very good that I'm trying to sign but he says he wants a hire wage. I've offered him over 200k per week (PM of Zenit in 2016 so I am flush) and he still deckines the deal. Eventually he ended up leaving the youth academy.

I also find it frustrating that they don't then enter the Free Agent pool even though in his case, he's 18 years old. It also seems like even though my CEO is suggesting 4 years, you can no longer sign for more than 3 out of the academy.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Just got this game as an early xmas present. Although I'm quite familiar with the game itself I have never played this franchise before...the options for single player seem overwhelming for someone who just wants to jump in and start some sort of single player campaign/season/career (whatever? its not really clear what the options even mean).

What is a good, fun mode to start with? What do most people play in single player?

elsk

Banned
Just got this game as an early xmas present. Although I'm quite familiar with the game itself I have never played this franchise before...the options for single player seem overwhelming for someone who just wants to jump in and start some sort of single player campaign/season/career (whatever? its not really clear what the options even mean).

What is a good, fun mode to start with? What do most people play in single player?

Career Mode is the best single mode.
But I would start with some quick games (exhibition games or something in english menus), to learn the basics.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
Career Mode is the best single mode.
But I would start with some quick games (exhibition games or something in english menus), to learn the basics.

What sort of career or does it matter? Does it really matter what team I choose? Do people usually play just their career character or the entire team?

Also, scoring seems almost impossible (professional level). Is there any trick to it? Would be nice if the game had a real tutorial.

Thanks.

DeS3InY

Does anyone play this on PC (Origin)? I'd like to play against you gaffers and learn some tricks :D

Unfortunately I'm not good with 'manual' control so I generally play with semi-assist.

Gibbo

Fucking love the online mode in this game. Had the best game in the 200+ matches that I've played so far. Came back from 4-1 down at one point to win by this scoreline . And this was my very first match in division 3 too :)

sMGS3l.jpg

I love picking Stoke and playing as Stoke

I scored off a throw in the other day

F'ing righteous! The lifespan of this game has been expanded considerably for me, because I've started "RPing" the playing styles of various teams. For example, whenever I'm playing my United squad in UT, I try to keep possession and use a lot of wing play. When I'm using my Madrid squad, I try to be tiki-taka/counterattacking/narrow width with very little wing play.

I would have expected this game to have gotten old for me by now, but it's still going strong. And being able to play Pro Clubs mode really is a godsend when your momentum is shit whilst playing H2H and you're on a losing streak that you can't shake off.

Tf53

Finally hit my target for this year, which was to make it into Division 1. Had a really long stretch in Div 3, made a couple trips to Div 2 and back, and finally reached Div 1 in just 8 games.

I could set a new target to get a league title, but I don't know if I can be bothered to. Euro 2012 is around the corner anyway.

Socreges

Banned
Is EURO 2012 confirmed? I really wish they'd just release it as a $15 DLC or something, but unfortunately they know they've got enough mouth-breathing customers to justify selling it for $60. :(

Anyway, FIFA 12 just dropped to $39.99 so I'll be picking it up tomorrow. I've only really played against my roommate and friends (it's his game), but we've played a ton and I've gotten pretty good. Interested in testing my abilities online now...

Are there any videos I could watch of advanced online players? I'd be interested in seeing how the play.

I think is getting to the point where exploiting the custom tactics is common and the game is now pretty much ruined. Oh well.. while custom tactics and formations are a great idea, EA's implementation ruins the game eventually when everyone learns the exploits for them. Probably time to cash out and try to get some money out of it

I pretty much only play single player seasons in FIFA games, so in other words, I have to deal with the fuck awful cheating AI every FIFA game. I am so sick of the AI exploiting dribbles, penalties and most egregious of all, effecting how my own team AI acts to gift themselves goals.

What are some of these tactical exploits? Is there a fire I can light under my own team's ass so they work harder? Is it basically setting a higher work rate? I am pretty oblivious to tactics despite playing PES and FIFA games for years.

Is there anyway to record a replay in a head-to-head match?

I just beat this cat using Spain 8-1(I was Brazil).. Julio Cesar scored on the 90th minute. :x

Massa

So I finally got to division 1 in online seasons, and on the tenth and final match of my first season I needed a win for the title. With 50 minutes in the match is 0-0 but I'm playing better when suddenly my internet goes out and I lose the game.

I kid you not this lead me to switch my ISP.

Blackhead

Redarse
Is it possible to edit the formations or player positions for online (head-to-head) play? I recently saw an opponent using a variant of the 4-3-2-1 formation that I'm pretty sure isn't on the list available...

Rikkun

Third time in a row I lose the final match for the EA cup online.

Tried with Camerun, 4*

Met Milan in final, 5*

Lost 3-2

How the fuck am I supposed to win against Milan?
There's totally no point in choosing a low star team, since you'll get paired with a player playing the same match as you, and if there's only one finalist searching now, using Barca, you could even be some Korean team but you'll always get to face Barca. Fuck.

(The whole cup saw 4 Milan, 2 Spain, 2 Barca, 1 MC, 1 Juve, 1 BVB, 1 PSV, 1 PSG, 1 Feyenoord, 1 Liverpool and me with Camerun)

pakkit

Banned
So is this game dead online? I just started playing online, I'm undefeated so far, but I still am curious...are there any good guides on how to juke more precisely? That seems to be the biggest difference between myself and the real good players.

Top Bottom