• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA World Cup 2011 Final Japan vs USA |OT| - JAPAN WINS

Status
Not open for further replies.

lush

Man, I hate ESPN coverage of just about everything. At least they have Darke commentating. This pregame crap is awful though.

vas_a_morir said:
Soccer is a relatively new sport in the mainstream American consciousness. So, if there are a lot of fans, they are obviously just jumping on the bandwagon. I think it's great.

Relative to Europe's history with the game, maybe.

But most kids in the USA born from 1970 on had soccer around them as a little league sport. Many, many Americans played the game at some point in their lives. In the USA, if you are 45 years old or younger, white, hispanic, or asian, there's a really really good chance you've played the game in an organized way, or have a family member that has.

It's just not a major men's sport past the youth level in the United States, that's all.

In the USA, at the collegiate level (which is the level where most of the focus of money and training facilities resides in women's athletics) soccer is probably the third most-popular women's team sport.

SamuraiX-

You know, I'm rooting for USA, but if Japan wins I wouldn't be mad at all. It would be a bright light in the middle of the despair for their country right now.

Unless the ref is just as fucking inept as the one in that Brazil game

SamuraiX- said:
You know, I'm rooting for USA, but if Japan wins I wouldn't be mad at all. It would be a bright light in the middle of the despair for their country right now.

I think we can all hope that, no matter what the result is, we hardly notice the officiating at all.

X-Frame

SamuraiX- said:

New Yorker here, but I feel the same way.

Keio

For a Finer World
Here's hoping for a good game. It's been an exciting tournament.

And sorry USA fans, but I'm rooting for Japan after the France game.

painey

the illusive man

"these are teams you can only root for, not against"

guess the yanks don't know how the rest of the world really feels about them!

fuenf

SamuraiX- said:

the ref should be fine, bibiana steinhaus is germanys first female referee in mens professional football. she's refeering games in the "2. bundesliga" (second division), so she should be better than the other inexperienced refs at this world cup. btw. last year there was a funny "boob-touching" incident with her in a game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc-K4p8D940

JaskoX1

Banned
www-dance.gif

O_O

Shadow780

fuenf said:
the ref should be fine, bibiana steinhaus is germanys first female referee in mens professional football. she's refeering games in the "2. bundesliga" (second division), so she should be better than the other inexperienced refs at this world cup. btw. last year there was a funny "boob-touching" incident with her in a game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc-K4p8D940

She eye fucked the shit outta him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom