• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA World Cup 2011 Final Japan vs USA |OT| - JAPAN WINS

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Same thing could be said about Australian women's football. It's basically non-existent outside of grassroots level and any coverage is provided by government funded channels at the bare minimum. The whole thing is unfortunate, especially considering the amount of excitement from this final alone compared to every other FIFA World Cup final.

I hope that the women's World Cup isn't forever relegated into the stands of bullshit, especially since each tournament seems to rise up in popularity more and more.

Datschge

Yeah, in most countries female football is well below even basic male amateur level regarding to (financial and athletic) support. Whenever someone decries female football as "so much worse" than male football this is something to keep in mind while comparing. The level is very high considering what's actually involved.

skybaby

Regulus Tera said:
That's pretty much women's football in Brazil
KuGsj.gif

Sunday’s Japan/United States Women’s World Cup final averaged an 8.6 overnight household rating on ESPN, the highest overnight ever for a Women’s (or a men’s) World Cup match on ESPN.

Our friend Paulsen at Sports Media Watch notes that the 8.6 is higher than the MLB All-Star Game, game 7 of the NHL Stanely Cup Final and every game of the NBA Heat/Bulls Eastern Conference Finals.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ating-ever-men-or-women/98232/#comment-884538

(Note: The highest rated world cup games have been on ABC, hence the espn qualifier.)

xbhaskarx

Women's World Cup final between USA and Japan sets Twitter record

The women's final may have made history as Japan defied the odds to defeat the USA and lift the trophy for this first time, but the game in Frankfurt also broke records on Twitter as the most tweeted event in the social networking site's five-year-history.

Twitter confirmed that the dramatic end to the women's final, as Japan equalised with three minutes of extra-time remaining and went on to win on penalties, produced a record 7,196 tweets per second (TPS).

Women's World Cup gets whopping ESPN TV rating

ESPN's coverage of Sunday's U.S.-Japan Women's World Cup final drew a whopping 8.6 overnight -- assuring that it will be the second-highest-rated women's soccer game ever on U.S. TV.

That overnight translates to 8.6% of households in the 56 urban TV markets measured for overnights. When all households are included in a national rating coming later today, Sunday's game will still trail the 11.4% of U.S. households that watched the 1999 China-U.S. Cup final. But Sunday's final will easily outrate the 2.9% of U.S. households that watched the 1999 Brazil-U.S. Cup semifinal, which had been the second-highest-rated women's soccer game.

Hope Solo regrets grass rolling before Japan's second equalizer:
“Part of me wishes I had never gone down to keep the team’s confidence up,” Solo said. “There was an option earlier on of going down and getting the trainer on and doing the antics. I wanted to get up, I didn’t want to win that way. But I wonder now if I did the right thing.”

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
L0st Id3ntity said:
She can take a seat with Dan Marino, Karl Malone and Mark Martin at the table of best athletes never to win a title.

That game never should have gone into extra time, much less penalty kicks. I felt like Denny Green after learning about the loss.

Frankly, this is a failure on the coach's part. A loss to Mexico, the first one ever. A loss in group play, the first one ever. And a loss to Japan, who we played and won against-twice!- in the run up to the Cup. She should be fired.

xbhaskarx

Sounders rookie Carrasco proud of girlfriend Alex Morgan

carrasco-morgan.jpg

REDMOND, Wash. — Sorry fellas, she’s taken.

Women’s World Cup breakout star Alex Morgan is currently dating Sounders FC midfielder Servando Carrasco. The Seattle rookie took a moment after Monday’s training session at Microsoft's headquarters to share how proud he is of Morgan, who triggered the US national team’s attack with a goal and assist in Sunday’s World Cup final.

“First things first: They have nothing to be ashamed of,” said Carrasco, who met Morgan while they played college soccer at the University of California. “They played their hearts out every time they stepped on the pitch and that’s all you can ask for, really.”

The pair spoke with one another Sunday after the heartbreaking World Cup final, which saw Japan best the United States in a penalty shootout. While they didn’t talk too much about the game, Carrasco was happy to support Morgan in the aftermath of the difficult loss.

Carrasco, who watched the game with his roommates and neighbors, said he went crazy when Morgan scored the first goal of the match.

“It was a huge game for her,” Carrasco said. “Obviously, she was disappointed. They have worked extremely hard to be where they are today.”

Gigglepoo said:
Obviously. The point is, NFL fans recognize a flaw and try to figure out a better way to handle tie games. That doesn't seem to be the case with soccer fans. I refuse to believe penalty kicks are the best solution. In fact, it's one of the worst solutions.

Penalty kicks is like playing darts to determine the winner. Yes it takes some skill and nerve, but it has little relevance to the previous 120 minutes.

That said, soccer has the biggest field (in terms of yardage) and the most continuous play compared to the other major sports. American Football stops every 20 seconds and usually doesn't resume for another 30 seconds, and the field is smaller. Baseball has even longer gaps. Hockey has more continuous play, but a full game is only 45 minutes. That's only 1/4 of a soccer match if it goes to extra time. And again, a soccer field is much bigger than a hockey rink.

So that's why it's just not feasible to go into sudden death indefinitely because you'll risk players getting injured from cramps and exhaustion with the current substitution limits. Not to mention the game will have deteriorated so much that it will be ugly to watch.

The Golden Goal they tried in the 90s was awful (I was never in favor of it) because as soon as extra time hit, teams would go into defensive shells to prevent giving up a game-ending goal. It also killed the drama in extra time which often have teams trade goals (like in yesterday's game).

As for possible solutions, replaying the game is the best but it's not practical with tournaments for a TON of reasons. One of which is fans who fly half-way around the world and make plans years in advance to be at the Final, most likely will have to head home before the replay. It would be a scheduling and attendance nightmare.

Personally, I like the idea of sudden death after extra time where the substitution limit is lifted. Basically it would be up to the "B-Squad" to win the game. The starters had their chance to win it for 120 minutes, so I think it's more than fair. The teams with the deepest bench would win the match and we would get a chance to see players that might have been snubbed by the coach show their stuff. Also, we're talking about national teams, the very best of the best. Even a substitute is going to be a world class player so it's not like the match would turn into amateur hour.

If I had a say or voice in the matter, I would pitch that idea.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
There should be serious reprecussions over this loss. I emotionally invested myself in the US, and they blow it so hard it felt like the NBA Finals all over again.

I want the US and Japan to meet again in the Olympics, and for the US to prove that this was a fluke.

Korey

The Chosen One said:
Penalty kicks is like playing darts to determine the winner. Yes it takes some skill and nerve, but it has little relevance to the previous 120 minutes.

That said, soccer has the biggest field (in terms of yardage) and the most continuous play compared to the other major sports. American Football stops every 20 seconds and usually doesn't resume for another 30 seconds, and the field is smaller. Baseball has even longer gaps. Hockey has more continuous play, but a full game is only 45 minutes. That's only 1/4 of a soccer match if it goes to extra time. And again, a soccer field is much bigger than a hockey rink.

So that's why it's just not feasible to go into sudden death indefinitely because you'll risk players getting injured from cramps and exhaustion with the current substitution limits. Not to mention the game will have deteriorated so much that it will be ugly to watch.

The Golden Goal they tried in the 90s was awful (I was never in favor of it) because as soon as extra time hit, teams would go into defensive shells to prevent giving up a game-ending goal. It also killed the drama in extra time which often have teams trade goals (like in yesterday's game).

As for possible solutions, replaying the game is the best but it's not practical with tournaments for a TON of reasons. One of which is fans who fly half-way around the world and make plans years in advance to be at the Final, most likely will have to head home before the replay. It would be a scheduling and attendance nightmare.

Personally, I like the idea of sudden death after extra time where the substitution limit is lifted. Basically it would be up to the "B-Squad" to win the game. The starters had their chance to win it for 120 minutes, so I think it's more than fair. The teams with the deepest bench would win the match and we would get a chance to see players that might have been snubbed by the coach show their stuff. Also, we're talking about national teams, the very best of the best. Even a substitute is going to be a world class player so it's not like the match would turn into amateur hour.

If I had a say or voice in the matter, I would pitch that idea.
Isnt it hockey where one player from each team is taken out every x minutes until they score? That sounds like a good idea.

elty

Korey said:
Isnt it hockey where one player from each team is taken out every x minutes until they score? That sounds like a good idea.

I was playing indoor soccer before and we used this "take out a player after extra time". Except that it doesn't really mean anything since each now need to run even more to cover the area. Yes there are more space but it is even more exhausting, so people actually play at a slower pace. The real soccer field is huge, and they have limited substitution so I doubt this will work. Unless you setup special rules like unlimited substitution in extra time, and at least 5 people need to stay in the opponent's half etc.

As a neutral I don't mind watching PK especially if it is a borefest which unfortunately happens quite often. But I understand the frustration that your team lost in PK.

twinturbo2 said:
She can take a seat with Dan Marino, Karl Malone and Mark Martin at the table of best athletes never to win a title.

That game never should have gone into extra time, much less penalty kicks. I felt like Denny Green after learning about the loss.

Frankly, this is a failure on the coach's part. A loss to Mexico, the first one ever. A loss in group play, the first one ever. And a loss to Japan, who we played and won against-twice!- in the run up to the Cup. She should be fired.

Her cockiness really got on my nerves. I never got the feeling that this team was as dominant as they all thought they were. Yeah, they came back in some games and played really great at opportune times, but dominant teams crush other teams. They don't play catch-up and rely on lucky breaks.

L0st Id3ntity said:

What's the source/context for this quote? I am having trouble understanding the last part of that statement:

"I wanted to get up, I didn’t want to win that way. But I wonder now if I did the right thing.”

It basically reads to me as "I wish I would have rolled around longer than I did and maybe we would have won?" and not as "I wish I wouldn't have rolled around". Also, does this mean she's saying she wasn't really hurt?

It almost seemed like a replay of what happened at the very of Brazil's game, with the injury shenanigans and all that. I don't think Solo was rolling around as maliciously though.

Found the source:
http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news...ug=ro-rogers_solo_plays_through_injury_071711

Solo: Theatrics could’ve saved Americans

By Martin Rogers, Yahoo! Sports
Jul 17, 8:00 pm EDT

FRANKFURT, Germany – Hope Solo believes her refusal to resort to dirty tricks may have cost the United States the Women’s World Cup.

The USA goalkeeper shunned the underhanded but commonly used soccer trick of exaggerating an injury during the final minutes of Sunday’s dramatic loss to Japan, instead choosing to play on until the pain become too much to bear.

Four years ago, Solo believed she would have been the difference in the team’s World Cup chances if she had not been benched for the semifinal. This time around she insisted that she, or at least her conscience, might be to blame for a stunning upset defeat.

More From Martin RogersWhat's next for U.S. women's soccer Jul 18, 2011 Japan pays tribute to tsunami victims, survivors Jul 17, 2011
Hope Solo and the U.S. team held the lead on two separate occasions during the final.

(AP Photo)
[Photos: More images of U.S. goalie Hope Solo]

Solo injured her knee in a collision with Japan’s Yukari Kinga early in the second period of extra-time with the Americans leading by a goal.

She opted not to receive treatment at the time, in stark contrast to the often-theatrical antics many players choose to adopt in such situations. During the USA’s thrilling quarterfinal victory over Brazil, the Brazilian players continually feigned injury while leading late in the game in an attempt to kill clock.

But Solo’s knee complaint worsened, and by the time there were only four minutes of extra time left she had no option but to call for the trainer and play was halted while she was treated on the field.

The break gave Japan time to compose its thoughts prior to a corner kick which immediately followed. From a corner, captain Homare Sawa produced one of the goals of the tournament, a superb flick with the outside of her right foot that flew past Solo and into the net.

“Part of me wishes I had never gone down to keep the team’s confidence up,” Solo said. “There was an option earlier on of going down and getting the trainer on and doing the antics. I wanted to get up, I didn’t want to win that way. But I wonder now if I did the right thing.”

Solo was one of the stars of the tournament as her goalkeeping ability, looks and no-nonsense attitude won over an army of new fans. She had little to do for long stretches during the final with the USA dominating most of the game only to be sunk when Japan equalized late in regulation time, again toward the end of extra-time, and then prevailed on penalties.

The 29-year-old saved from Yuki Nagasato in the shootout, but could not prevent Aya Miyama, Mizuho Sakaguchi and Saki Kumagai from converting the kicks that gave Japan the trophy for the first time.

Solo admitted that she felt stunned by the turnaround which denied the USA its first World Cup since 1999.

“I really felt like it was our tournament to win,” she said. “It was a weird feeling tonight. It was just a strange game and it feels strange now to be here and getting ready to leave Germany – and we didn’t win the World Cup.”

I'm not sure advocating unsportsmanlike behaviour is really the best thing to be doing. It's better to take the loss honorably.

Forever

Banned
yellow submarine said:
Found the source:
http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news...ug=ro-rogers_solo_plays_through_injury_071711

I'm not sure advocating unsportsmanlike behaviour is really the best thing to be doing. It's better to take the loss honorably.
I don't think she's advocating it per say, sounds like she's just speaking her mind. Those kinds of doubts are to be expected after a loss like this.

The whole team wanted it really badly and for at least some of them there won't be another chance. Everyone is going to be thinking about what they could have done differently to win.

Though I agree, it is better to have fought honorably and lost than to flop around like Brazil and possibly lose anyway.

elty

At least she is honest, but I don't think that cost them the game.

I watched that section and during her late treatment, the Japanese players did not really get together coming up with some magical plan. Sawa could have said something to two of her teammates, but no one to stop the American to discuss their own defensive plan. When you can't defend a corner from another team that is much smaller than you, then you can't really blame anyone.

elty

Forever said:
If the whole team pulled shenanigans, could they have run out the clock before Japan evened it up? Who knows.

Yea that's the thing. You need the whole team to do it because the purpose of feigning injury is not as simple as wasting time. It is also used to frustrate the opponent (so they commit more foul which waste even more time) and to stop the momentum of the other team. An isolated incidence usually does not have great effect. If she really needs to regret then she should regret about not telling her entire team to do it. But then it would be pretty low and it takes time to build that "culture".

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
ThisWreckage said:
Her cockiness really got on my nerves. I never got the feeling that this team was as dominant as they all thought they were. Yeah, they came back in some games and played really great at opportune times, but dominant teams crush other teams. They don't play catch-up and rely on lucky breaks.
But they played and beat Japan twice in the run up to the Cup! To paraphrase one of the greatest sports meltdowns ever, JAPAN WERE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE! AND WE LET THEM OFF THE HOOK! IF YOU WANNA CROWN THEM, CROWN THEIR ASS!

Forever

Banned
twinturbo2 said:
But they played and beat Japan twice in the run up to the Cup! To paraphrase one of the greatest sports meltdowns ever, JAPAN WERE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE! AND WE LET THEM OFF THE HOOK! IF YOU WANNA CROWN THEM, CROWN THEIR ASS!
Wat.

Shadow780

Some twat wants Solo on Dancing with the Stars, not sure where I stand on it.

Also Abby and Hope will appear on David Letterman Tuesday night, and their club (magicJack, including Rapinoe and Boxx) plays NY Flash (Morgan <3 and Marta) Wednesday night, which is expected to be a sell out.

Korey

Well, she definitely should NOT have done that. It's ok to think about it but at the end of the day, you didn't do it and that's better than winning the World Cup with a * to be honest. To do that to Japan would be disgraceful.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Ugh, the NFL lockout can't end soon enough.

I'm also certain that SI will be getting letters to the editor bitching about Japan not getting enough love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom