• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |3| [Cinematic Title Expansion Coming Soon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
So...it's fine?

It's not on there.
You generally want less than 1 frame so that would be fine, but you can't really trust the manufacturer numbers. Should still be fine, though. Displaylag also has a VN279QL, sounds similar.

Line_HTX

For those who didn't catch the interview with KOFXIV's producer at WNF:

On the netcode:
- He has been looking at the complaints against XIII's console netcode from day one and keeping all of them in mind
- The reception for XIII's Steam version netcode has been positive in general so they are building on top of what they learned there
- They are putting a lot of effort into making the netcode solid day 1 and are prepared to act quickly to fix any issues post launch.
- The 3v3 online party battle mode will have 12 player lobbies.

On DLC (characters, stages, music, costumes etc.):
- They aren't holding anything back for the initial release, we are getting the full game day 1.
- They haven't even started thinking about DLC yet. If they do decide to do some then we will have to wait a while since they will be creating it from scratch.

On Just Defending:
- They spent a lot of time balancing it in such a way that it doesn't disrupt the normal flow of gameplay
- In its initial implementation it had too much impact so they toned it down
- They took both offline competitive play and online play into consideration when balancing it

There's instant blocking and it was initially too good of a defensive option?

Pompadour

Is there any fighting game netcode people don't have issues with? Some (crazy) people prefer input delay to rollback because the teleporting is unacceptable whereas fighting underwater is OK, apparently. I always heard Tekken netcode was great but changing the timing of moves with their input delay seems kind of fucked up.

I guess the best would be Killer Instinct, maybe?

BadWolf

There's instant blocking and it was initially too good of a defensive option?

Just Defend, as it was in Garou MOTW, was a parry mechanic.

It gave some health back to the defender, reduced guard stun and allowed guard to be canceled into a special or super.

With the statement of "we're prepared to fix any netcode issues post launch", that does give me some hope that even if the netcode for KOF XIV does turn out to be bad, the KOF XIV team is seemingly prepared to make improvements.

With the statement of "we're prepared to fix any netcode issues post launch", that does give me some hope that even if the netcode for KOF XIV does turn out to be bad, the KOF XIV team is seemingly prepared to make improvements.

I hope they do betas so they can get ahead of the problem instead of leaving it up to launch

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Well if it's frame delay (and it sounds like it will be) there really isn't much they'd be able to do. Rewriting the netcode (and thus making changes to the core fighting engine as well) to be rollback is not likely.

Well if it's frame delay (and it sounds like it will be) there really isn't much they'd be able to do. Rewriting the netcode (and thus making changes to the core fighting engine as well) to be rollback is not likely.

Maybe.

The Mortal Kombat X team did eventually make a new rollback netcode from scratch, though. I believe MKX used frame delay netcode at launch. I know SNK ain't exactly making WB dollars, but the possibility is there now that we've seen it happen with an existing fighting game.

Kumubou

Hearing that KoFXIV is "building upon" the Steam version's netcode is an instant hype deflator and has pretty much zeroed out any interest I would have had for the game. It's the one thing they can't screw up and it's the one thing that gets screwed up over and over and over again. It's stupid -- they were only getting positive feedback for the PC release becuse XIII console's netcode was so bad. People don't think XIII PC's netcode is actually good.

Sigh. Anyone wanna play some Overwatch?

Is there any fighting game netcode people don't have issues with? Some (crazy) people prefer input delay to rollback because the teleporting is unacceptable whereas fighting underwater is OK, apparently. I always heard Tekken netcode was great but changing the timing of moves with their input delay seems kind of fucked up.

I guess the best would be Killer Instinct, maybe?
For more casual players, inputs being delayed is much less obvious than having the game snap back to some random point in the game, especially if it keeps happening constantly (thanks Capcpom).

Tekken's approach is sensible for a 3D fighter, and IIRC VF5 and VF5:FS do something similar. (It's a bit touchier in VF as it doesn't have any baked in input delay (and much less delay than Tekken naturally has). It's a sensible approach for a 3D fighter but it's not something that can really be done in a 2D fighter (or else people would start looking like Magneto doing one frame shorts in MvC2). It works out, since your character has inputs without delay (up to a point), but all of the input from the other player is coming N frames late. The first frame is eaten by the intentional delay and then it lops off however many frames of startup from the move until either the movement is synced properly or the game hits an internal limit (as it's not going to remove 10 frames of animation from a jab that's 10 frames to start up), at which point the input delay for the player kicks in to compensate. It's basically rolling forward the opponent's state to sync the game instead of rolling back the entire game state -- it's less jarring but it doesn't mask higher input delay as well.

As for what games actually play well online, the two obvious picks are Skullgirls and Killer Instinct. There are some other ports and hacks that work well, but those are played by so few people nowadays that they may as well not exist to most people. I wouldn't even consider Tekken's implementation to be "good", just better than anything outside of the aforementioned games. It only really worked out for Tekken 7 in arcades because arcades in Japan are all on fiberoptics and even in the worst scenarios would barely be more than 1,000 miles apart (and would be usually far, far closer than that).

It's not easy to create a good online experience -- you have to get absurdly aggressive to deal with latency, and when you start doing that you start getting all sorts of anomalies that you have to address. There are a lot of difficult things that need to be done during a game's development, and competition for people's time is as fierce as it ever has been. However, it's yet another thing most fighting games are stuck in the 90s about and they don't do nearly enough to bring a good experience to people, and it's why the genre keeps getting left behind.

Honestly, I wouldn't even bother thinking about his statement. You hear lots of platitudes from people in this industry that don't even amount to a hill of beans, and unless they are willing to gut the whole thing and replace it with a better implementation (which needs to happen, but won't because of the amount of time and experience needed) it won't appreciably improve.

BadWolf

Hearing that KoFXIV is "building upon" the Steam version's netcode is an instant hype deflator and has pretty much zeroed out any interest I would have had for the game.

Building upon what they learned with XIII Steam, he didn't say they were actually using the old netcode.

The game seems to be fully taking into account that it is a console game with not only its features but game balance as well. As mentioned above they were even balancing mechanics while taking online play into account.

So yeah, netcode is my only worry with the game but I wouldn't write it off just yet.

Skilletor

pc kof13 steam netcode was miles ahead of the console one. You could at least play people in the same state w/ little to no delay

Well, yeah, the console version had some of the worst netcode ever.

Being able to play people that I see regularly anyway isn't some accomplishment.

Tripon

Well, yeah, the console version had some of the worst netcode ever.

Being able to play people that I see regularly anyway isn't some accomplishment.
I played a Brazilian person on the PS3 version of XIII. The levels of lag made the game into a comic book, and the guy sent a message after wards laughing at me. No game made me so salty like that day.

Yatagarasu had delay-based netcode and it's among the best.

Hype deflator indeed. RIP KoF14

you either can't read or automatically jump to the worst possible conclusion for no reason

pc kof13 steam netcode was miles ahead of the console one. You could at least play people in the same state w/ little to no delay

XIII SE let me play from France with people around Europe in good conditions. EU-USA doesn't work but that's a dumb thing to try in general.

Pompadour

If NRS can fix their netcode anyone can.

They were releasing a huge, paid update. They had a reason to fix their netcode. Especially as they could spread development costs around between XL and Injustice 2 (which is probably why XL got new netcode to begin with).

TL;DR cross your fingers for KOF XV.

mbpm1

They were releasing a huge, paid update. They had a reason to fix their netcode. Especially as they could spread development costs around between XL and Injustice 2 (which is probably why XL got new netcode to begin with).

they were also competing with SFV

I meant it was super garbage and then they managed to fix it.

Budget-wise, sure maybe. There's smaller budget games with great netcode too. Like Skullgirls.

Skilletor

If NRS can fix their netcode anyone can.

One thing I feel that gets constantly overlooked, or at least not mentioned, when talking about everything NRS is able to do is the fact that WB has lots of money.

SNK is almost certainly not in a position to launch with one type of netcode and some time later run betas and change their netcode from the ground up.

One thing I feel that gets constantly overlooked, or at least not mentioned, when talking about everything NRS is able to do is the fact that WB has lots of money.

SNK is almost certainly not in a position to launch with one type of netcode and some time later run betas and change their netcode from the ground up.

what if they crowdsource better netcode from fans like Melty, lol.

Swarna

About the 8 frames is that it's vsync related. If you remove vsync on PC, you get your traditional 5 frames of input lag, just like on consoles. But on PC, SF4 had more lag than consoles because vsync was activated by default. All PC players removed it to match the console version delay.

My guess is: since they didn't want to game to have tearing, that they needed a similar input lag both on console and PC, and considering that vsync can probably change depending on you computer/Drivers, they choose to keep it and added frames dedicated to vsync rendering. And after that, they built the gameplay with this problem in mind.

Also you probably don't know this (and I can talk about it now I guess) but Capcom started to build SF5 on their own engine. They moved to UE4 at some point in development. I wouldn't be surprised if all this is coming from Unreal Engine.

Minor corrections, but PC SF4 had PS3's level of input lag with the default v-sync (6.2 vs 6.4), closer to 360's input lag with alternate driver-based v-sync (5.7 vs 5.1) and less input lag than everything else with v-sync off (3.5).

PC SF5 also has less input lag than PS4 regardless of settings (7.1 stock or 4.6 v-sync off vs. PS4's 7.9 frames).

Rollback netcodes in other titles typically add (or even allow you to manually adjust) a variable amount of input lag in comparison to offline gameplay while playing online. I believe reducing this variability to keep overall input lag as consistent as possible across offline and online (regardless of connection quality) was the original intent, so adding input lag makes sense in that regard.

However, there's still a discrepancy between offline and online input lag so they failed there (online delay is consistent regardless of opponent, though). Also, the netcode was outsourced to a mobile-focused Korean team and considering that they're long gone by now (leaving behind defective netcode), the "intentionally" added input lag is now funnier.

V-sync is archaic in 2016. IMO, fighting games on consoles should add a v-sync toggle and allow for higher refresh modes like 120hz/144hz. Tearing isn't noticeable at all in these kinds of games when using high refresh monitors. Whether it's up to Sony/MS or the game dev in question to add it should be done.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Lol man fell again today and fucked up my knee. Had to actually call 911 this time. This shit has sucked lately starting to mentally wear me down.

On a more positive note I really liked the showing of stuff at e3 this year. Lots of fun new stuff on the horizon

Lol man fell again today and fucked up my knee. Had to actually call 911 this time. This shit has sucked lately starting to mentally wear me down.

On a more positive note I really liked the showing of stuff at e3 this year. Lots of fun new stuff on the horizon

damn that sucks, hope you get better

Minor corrections, but PC SF4 had PS3's level of input lag with the default v-sync (6.2 vs 6.4), closer to 360's input lag with alternate driver-based v-sync (5.7 vs 5.1) and less input lag than everything else with v-sync off (3.5).

PC SF5 also has less input lag than PS4 regardless of settings (7.1 stock or 4.6 v-sync off vs. PS4's 7.9 frames).

Rollback netcodes in other titles typically add (or even allow you to manually adjust) a variable amount of input lag in comparison to offline gameplay while playing online. I believe reducing this variability to keep overall input lag as consistent as possible across offline and online (regardless of connection quality) was the original intent, so adding input lag makes sense in that regard.

However, there's still a discrepancy between offline and online input lag so they failed there (online delay is consistent regardless of opponent, though). Also, the netcode was outsourced to a mobile-focused Korean team and considering that they're long gone by now (leaving behind defective netcode), the "intentionally" added input lag is now funnier.

V-sync is archaic in 2016. IMO, fighting games on consoles should add a v-sync toggle and allow for higher refresh modes like 120hz/144hz. Tearing isn't noticeable at all in these kinds of games when using high refresh monitors. Whether it's up to Sony/MS or the game dev in question to add it should be done.

Thanks for the details!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom