• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

mbpm1

I'd buy and play any blizzard fighting game they made even if it had NRS balance levels. At least for a while. I've been dreaming about an SC FG since I was a kid and discovered fighting games were a thing after Starcraft

Dahbomb

Everyone would buy it and play it then complain about it.

It is the rule of Blizzard games. Unlike other FGs where people wouldn't buy it but still complain about it.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Shooters are super easy to pick up and play. I mean other than learning movement, you press one button to attack . And people just love the whole team thing. All you see are people forming fireteams. Fighting games are a solo effort while the latter many people can play at once. Games like battlefield have 30+ players and people even if they are bad can help contribute to a win. In fighting games it's you, your inputs and the opponent.

A fighter is the only direction I could really see Blizz going at this point. There aren't many competitive genres left to cover, and the character-building they're great at would work excellently in a fighter.

Unless they go with a genre they've already done or do something stupid and make a racing game, a fighter is pretty much all they've got left in terms of new ground.

mbpm1

A fighter is the only direction I could really see Blizz going at this point. There aren't many competitive genres left to cover, and the character-building they're great at would work excellently in a fighter.

Unless they go with a genre they've already done or do something stupid and make a racing game, a fighter is pretty much all they've got left in terms of new ground.

I'd play a racing game too tbh

Not a moba tho fuck HOTS

Well it happened before, Midway games basically got liquidated until Warner Bros. re-branded the studio to Netherrealm. If it were to happen again, WB would have to stop caring about them, which doesn't seem likely.

yea, it'll never happen unless wb decides they don't want to make games anymore. well, i guess that is possible, but unlikely in the near future

....why?

There are people working there with successful things, doing amazing things, not just in fighting games but in video games in general. Along with video game story telling.

you would ask why . . .

it's because their games are ass ugly

don't quote me

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I find shooters more rage inducing however. If you play with randoms. In a fighting game if a blow up happens it's mainly on you. But in multiplayer team based games you can get matched up with absolute morons. People who leave the game, idling, just standing still spamming emotes, taunts, etc. I mean why bother play the game and ruin it for everybody else. That's why I always try to get a full team if I play. It's out of your control. And it happens in every game. Overwatch, Destiny, COD, Splatoon, etc are all affected by it. Companies should nuke the hell out of people who do it excessively.

Lemstar

I'm hoping the Overwatch League lets everyone down so that I can say I was right

also, shoutouts to Obama

started from the bottom

Village

it's ok, i feel the same about ASW -fistbump-

What ASW game looks bad, which one? Please tell me, what's this mythical ASW game out now that looks terrible? They been releasing games under the radar?

you would ask why . . .

it's because their games are ass ugly

don't quote me

One IJ2 looks pretty good, so they have come a long way. Also that seems I don't know, I ain't gonna make choices for you. It just seems.. shortsighted, i guess. Its like if I were to turn my nose up at ND failing because they havent made a game that's held my enthusiasm since Jak and Daxter. But If they were to go , it would suck not just because its people working there with family's and livelihoods and shit but they made like strides in their genre and medium and did artistic things that while I might not appreciate , a lot of other people do.

Yeah I want Edgy Lemming and Sassy Otter 4, but not caring about that seems... i dunno needlessly vindictive.

Onemic

What ASW game looks bad, which one? Please tell me, what's this mythical ASW game out now that looks terrible? They been releasing games under the radar?

One IJ2 looks pretty good, so they have come a long way. Also that seems I don't know, I ain't gonna make choices for you. It just seems.. shortsighted, i guess. Its like if I were to turn my nose up at ND failing because they havent made a game that's held my enthusiasm since Jak and Daxter. But If they were to go , it would suck not just because its people working there with family's and livelihoods and shit but they made like strides in their genre and medium and did artistic things that while I might not appreciate , a lot of other people do.

Yeah I want Edgy Lemming and Sassy Otter 4, but not caring about that seems... i dunno needlessly vindictive.

I wouldnt call it vindictive if you simply dont care if they fail.

.la1n

If NRS takes a the criticisms about animations to heart then the next MK could be something really amazing to look at. I know they have it in them because the cut scenes and in match cinematics are well animated. The gear route also ensures that no matter what direction they take your favorite character design wise, you can probably find gear to match whatever old aesthetic you prefer. I'm looking at you Reptile.

If NRS takes a the criticisms about animations to heart then the next MK could be something really amazing to look at. I know they have it in them because the cut scenes and in match cinematics are well animated. The gear route also ensures that no matter what direction they take your favorite character design wise, you can probably find gear to match whatever old aesthetic you prefer. I'm looking at you Reptile.

If they fixed animations then the only problem NRS games would really have is not being fun.

Kalamari

I think multiplayer games are the most fun when you can interact with others on your team. If there is no interaction, it feels much more lonely to me, even if you are playing with people you know. That's why I think fun gameplay is so much more important in fighting games, there is no outside stimulus besides the game, it's just you and your controller vs the world.

Having a full team of mic wearers is the best, it is so much more fun when everyone is communicating rather than just one or two other people. Even if people talk about dumb shit like the weather or something.

I was referring to his comment about not shedding a tear if WB went under, not about the art

Although none of ASW's games have been appealing to me art-wise, since you asked.

CO_Andy

I was referring to his comment about not shedding a tear if WB went under, not about the art

Although none of ASW's games have been appealing to me art-wise, since you asked.
Digimon look straight up like GG characters (or vice versa) --

latest

Lemstar

I told folks the balance on that game would be alligator fuck house, nobody believed me, now they see. :p
I don't even think it's just balance; it's that the valuation of the OWL was predicated on the supposition that they'd be able to convert the "over 30 million players" Blizzard keeps talking about into viewers and it just isn't happening

Napkin math suggests that only a couple of million players even play the competitive mode in the game in the first place, which is why I presume that they're marketing their competitive scene on ancillary stuff like country/city affiliations, but I think they missed their timing window before PUBG came out and took a gigantic portion of both their casual viewerbase and streamers

(there's also the part where the game's shallow because of core design, but casual target audience ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

I think the funniest thing about Overwatch competitive is that Blizzard's successfully retconned themselves into being genius esports pioneers when they had literally nothing to do with BW outside of killing Korean competition years before its time

ShinMaruku

I don't even think it's just balance; it's that the valuation of the OWL was predicated on the supposition that they'd be able to convert the "over 30 million players" Blizzard keeps talking about into viewers and it just isn't happening

Napkin math suggests that only a couple of million players even play the competitive mode in the game in the first place, which is why I presume that they're marketing their competitive scene on ancillary stuff like country/city affiliations, but I think they missed their timing window before PUBG came out and took a gigantic portion of both their casual viewerbase and streamers

(there's also the part where the game's shallow because of core design, but casual target audience ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

I think the funniest thing about Overwatch competitive is that Blizzard's successfully retconned themselves into being genius esports pioneers when they had literally nothing to do with BW outside of killing Korean competition years before its time

Anytime Blizzard has courted esports it has always been a let down. I love how people seem to forget that their most esports game was only like that because they were not involved and it was all Kespa's work.

I just think the push for the OWL is more just a trend in the company to make money off stuff tied to the games than the games themselves, everything about the game seems tied to that. I think their ambitions have been fairly transparent and it should be transparent where it will go.

What mystifies me is people think just because Blizzard has better PR that they could fix what limits fighting game participation.
What limits is how the average player engages with games, there would have to be a huge change in thinking into what makes people engage into the game, people would have to get over themselves and what not
I think that hope is pure fantasy.

Is it the character design or style? I think the style is great, I think much like platinum though their designs are better when they aren't their own.

Nothing about the design or style is appealing, so I just don't buy their products. The only time I ever really talk about it is when it's brought up in this thread.

So its gotten to the point where people dont even need to talk about SFV for you to try and shill for SFV.

*looks at title of thread.*

FIGHTING GAME HEADQUARTERS.

*looks at genre for T7*

FIGHTING GAME.

*looks at genre for SFV*

FIGHTING GAME.

Objection: OVERRULED.

Sorry, but T7 sales weren't all that. Especially, compared to a supposedly "inferior" game that sold on fewer platforms.

mbpm1

*looks at genre for T7*

FIGHTING GAME.

*looks at genre for SFV*

FIGHTING GAME.

Sorry, but T7 sales weren't all that. Especially, compared to a supposedly "inferior" game that sold on fewer platforms.

Wow, you actually said something that wasn't completely shilling for once

Tripon

*looks at genre for T7*

FIGHTING GAME.

*looks at genre for SFV*

FIGHTING GAME.

So you're admitting now that SFV didn't sell well?

Dahbomb

People getting hype for pro player vs da machine:

https://youtu.be/92tn67YDXg0

Reminds me of Mike Ross vs da machine. Only this machine is much more advanced.

I wonder if we can have a bot at such a high level in fighting games that it would make the best players in the world look like first timers.

People getting hype for pro player vs da machine:

https://youtu.be/92tn67YDXg0

Reminds me of Mike Ross vs da machine. Only this machine is much more advanced.

I wonder if we can have a bot at such a high level in fighting games that it would make the best players in the world look like first timers.

Pretty much what all those TAS bots are doing in a bunch of recent fighting games, except those are from being programmed, not through some AI learning algorithm. The thing is since reaction, timing, and frame data play a huge part, the computer makes the strategy part of the human pretty much irrelevant. For example there is a Tekken bot which ducks any throws, blocks everything, and whenever you are negative it will punish you since it knows the frame data. If the learning AI was put with a fighting game, it would probably take less time than 2 weeks for it to basically be TAS levels of competent. It will figure how fast throws are and duck it (10 frames is probably an eternity for it to react, even 3 frames in a 2d game would be pretty easy), know that jabs are the fastest thing, and once it blocks enough moves, it will figure what it can do in retaliation.

You saw how in the DOTA2 match the shadow fiend had max range raze every time, in a fighting game the human's offense would be so gimped since the footsies would be blown up. In DOTA2, at least there isn't hitstun, they can get trades because they can still walk up after getting hit, but a fighting game AI would just make it a blow up, since hitstun exists you can't force a trade after getting clipped.

Dahbomb

I think a bot shouldn't be allowed to react to anything below 15 frames, that's getting into cheat territory.

I don't know how they could change that. There's no point in making a bot that can tech everything and react the unreachable high/lows or ambiguous cross ups.

NEO0MJ

I think a bot shouldn't be allowed to react to anything below 15 frames, that's getting into cheat territory.

I don't know how they could change that. There's no point in making a bot that can tech everything and react the unreachable high/lows or ambiguous cross ups.

Maybe they can program it to literally see the game instead of reading inputs. I don't think ai is at that level though.

Top Bottom