• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Skilletor

Jiyuna was saying some silly shit about women one tourney he was commentating. I forget what he said exactly, but I cringed when I heard it.

No loss, imo.

Yeah, it was this:

Yeah, not sure I'd say he is doing fine or that I can blame her for being quiet when one of the first things he said was "sorry stream monsters" because she was wearing a turtleneck. Or when she had a lot of arcade sticks that her "fans must give her them all the time". Dude's awkward as fuck.

During Fuudo's matches he completely stopped doing any semblance of commentary to be a cheerleader. Nah, I'm good on Jiyuna.

MrCarter

I like both Jinuya and Zhi but I do think they need to be careful what they say at times. Yipes, Sajam and Tasty Steve are some good examples of balanced, yet engaging commentary.

Fighting games are already legitimate. What Enzo meant was that FGC events and game companies need to keep it professional so that sponsors actually pour money in and fighting game developers actually care enough to invest into the competitive aspect of the games.

Otherwise you have Daigo and co playing for chump change while Kuroky is earning 10 million in DOTA 2.

It's in everyone's best interest that FGs get to a level where if you are good at a game then you can compete full time and not worry about paying the bills or putting food on the table. You can't do that if you don't have sponsors or big E sports teams.

that's so far from what the word legitimacy means that i'm not even going to bother pretending i believe that's what enzo actually meant

and the reason the fgc is broke doesn't have much to do with how "professional" we are or are not. suddenly being the cleanest cut crew on the block isn't going to have anyone writing checks for us

Yeah but Zhi and Jazz manage to make him look good by comparison.

. . . naaaaah

NEO0MJ

There was talk of this in the IJ2 OT, but if Atom does indeed make it in then will that be the first character in a fighting game who's "gimmick" is changing their size (to smaller) than they are?

We still don't know how that power will be used even if he's in the game.
As for changing size you could say that Valk from BB already does that when he transforms to a wolf. No other example comes to mind, though. Maybe shaowebb has more info on this subject considering his vast fighting game knowledge.

We still don't know how that power will be used even if he's in the game.
As for changing size you could say that Valk from BB already does that when he transforms to a wolf. No other example comes to mind, though. Maybe shaowebb has more info on this subject considering his vast fighting game knowledge.
Well Ed Boon's tweeted Atom related stuff recently, + the biggest sign is that one of the character slots reserved for the DLC characters in the select screen have a silhouette of an incredibly small person which can only be Atom.

If they DO add him then that's pretty much the only power they can realistically use I think.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
You're probably not gonna get a lot of paid freelance media work if you can't keep yourself professional. Any kind of freelancing is precarious, but work where you are supposed to be the voice/face of some kind of sponsored event is unsurprisingly fickle as all hell.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Why do you think art stopped with the salty suites? You think he didn't want to do them anymore? Art Lord of stream monsters all of a sudden stopping every nonsense he was a part of. Companies are watching and if not they always have someone they go to for input on anybody and anything. Could be the reason why art never got sponsored. He let way too many crap go on in his streams and chat.

Jiyuna is the same. He toned it down a lot but that doesn't matter to some people.

I was impressed by majin's commentary for momo/choco's tournament. Majin was very informative on the lore for many players. It was very apparent he's trying to get sponsored/paid for commentating but he was flexing his work ethic too.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
This is why we can't have fun anymore. Esports is both a blessing and a curse. No more entertaining after hours suites but at least certain players and everything else gets a boost.

Which is why Canada Cup is one of the few remaining homegrown tournaments worth watching when it comes to after hours. Lap Chi always does entertaining after hours stuff.

^I think he's a great commentator, knows his stuff and is very passionate about but him going in on the cosplayer at EVO was a big WTF. He is damn lucky Jiyuna muted the stream otherwise it would've blown up. I lost respect for him too because of what he supposedly said.

Spooky streaming Rocket League now!?

Lulubop

You can still throw a salty suite without being sexist or transphobic. I'm not sure how that's fun, but y'all could let me know.

I mean didn't the Marvel heads have a salty suite?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Salty suites with money matches, story time, people getting drunk and doing stupid things but not at the expense of others. Like the old Sp00ky house streams. Kind of like a Watson stream too. Watson is entertaining with his stories. Watson streams are not Esports friendly.

Lemstar

i don't think jiyuna's done anything nearly as bad as logan telling people to kill themselves and eat their own semen, but he's still doing cpt stuff

factors behind the scenes

.la1n

Well if we dug through the majority of FGC commentators who are competent for out of line things then UltraDavid and TastyJam would have to commentate everything.

Tripon

The issue for jiyuna is somebody at Capcom JP doesn't like him. Everyone else that people are bringing up saying sketchy stuff hasn't either work Capcom Pro Tour in Asia or Japan specifically, or has enough cred with the company that he can still say stuff and not get banned.

Basically, Zhi should be the only one banned using that criteria, and he hasn't yet.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
It may be more that because this is an invitational event and not something people are paying entry fees for, they may actually be able to put up the money for it.

I do know that laws regarding skill-based contests in Japan are really bizarre. I wonder if it's the difference between invitational events vs. open entry tournaments. And would qualification-based events (such as ArcRevo or King of Iron Fist) be considered an invitational? It's all kind of bizarre.

It's not too hard to understand; you can't pay out winnings based on entry fee, it's considered gambling in Japan. You can have a tourney with cash prizes so long as it's not related to the entry.

Tripon

I don't remember past TGS events having an entry fee though. It was a lottery to be chosen because there was only 64 spots due to time concerns.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
What I was getting at is that you can choose to have the entry fee or not. The issue is if the payout is based on the entry fee.

Top Bottom