• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

If they really are going with Super stuff now then that's even less interest I have in that game. If you're going to have like 20 characters in a DB game and decide to not focus on a single arc, you're just asking for a crappy roster.

I'd rather they just stuck with Z and made DBS stuff DLC or put it in the sequel that totally isn't coming out next year.

idk DBZ game needs the biggest pool it can draw from to get good character styles

Fighting styles in DB in general are almost non-existent. Someone like Hit would be a welcome edition as would some of the new characters introduced. What exactly are we getting from the saiyans and androids? They all fight the same.

MrCarter

Suprised to see ARMS having better legs than Tekken 7 at NPD. I can understand Injustass as it's DC but a new IP performing better than somewhat a popular one is very impressive.

shaowebb

If they really are going with Super stuff now then that's even less interest I have in that game. If you're going to have like 20 characters in a DB game and decide to not focus on a single arc, you're just asking for a crappy roster.

I'd rather they just stuck with Z and made DBS stuff DLC or put it in the sequel that totally isn't coming out next year.

I dont think that'd be smart honestly. Super is doing very well and probably accounts for a ton of this renewed interest in the franchise to begin with. Not acknowledging it with Super characters beyond forms would probably be leaving money on the table from new fans.

Besides HIT has actual fighting stances that change based on how strong his moveset becomes and he has time powers. Thats like a nice stance shift moveset with counters right there. Frost has poison attacks. Caulifla and Kale are just mad popular and females are rare in this series. Beerus and Whis are crazy popular in general. And we still haven't seen what the Pride Troopers are a sentai team of dudes with very very unique abilities...can you say summon moveset where you play as the entire Pride Troopers team by using each dude like a Captain Commando summon? (yeah I know it'd be expensive with their models but a man can dream). Plus Black Goku while not only being cheaper to produce on the base model and maps, had very unique attacks from Goku and the rest of the saiyans. He even had different energy visuals and a scythe which would add some much needed attack distinctions on the screen of energy blasts.

Point is Super has good stuff to draw from. Both in terms of popularity and potential playstyles.

NEO0MJ

Suprised to see ARMS having better legs than Tekken 7 at NPD. I can understand Injustass as it's DC but a new IP performing better than somewhat a popular one is very impressive.

Does that mean that ARMS is a fighting game now? When's EVO (America)?

MrCarter

SFV is on its 9th OT so if there are standards, they aren't particularly high

tenor.gif

To be fair, that's mostly me posting about stupid shit. I take the blame for that one.

Nah you keep it (fairly) balanced. Yakuza gifs are off the scale though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think there's no doubt at this point that Capcom Japan must handle all the English materials for everything they do. I mean the JP website is probably handled all in Japan, but all the other spelling mistakes have to be engrish seeping out while Capcom USA sits and does the all the playtesting or something.

Did combofiend really say that?
No, Mike Evans (the producer) did. Peter said that the main reason people like the X-Men is because of their playstyles, and that those were still coming back.

That interview was a trainwreck. Those two obviously didn't believe what they were saying, but they can't throw Marvel under the bus for obvious reasons.

Gfinity European Esports event is live:
https://www.twitch.tv/gfinitytv

Tyrant and Jammerz on the mic.

Did combofiend really say that?

Lol that's whack af.

These people are paraphrasing terribly.

Here's what Mike Evans said:
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/marvel-vs-capcom-infinite-devs-on-preserving-depth/1100-6451133/
Then the third one is obviously the popularity of these characters. X was one we had to get in there. A lot of fans wanted to see X, so we brought him back. Then also we talked with Marvel very closely about their future roadmap, about what's gonna be happening. Your modern Marvel fan, maybe they don't even remember some of the X-Men characters, but they know some of the Guardians characters or Black Panther. You know what I mean? Captain Marvel may seem like a strange pick, but she's fantastic. She fits the gameplay. She fits the story, and they're gonna be really pushing her as a strong female lead all the way up into the movie. We're trying to take everything into account and choose the best characters.

And, he has a point. Modern Marvels fans probably don't care too much about SOME (he said SOME) classic MvC X-men like Psylocke, Spiral, or Omega Red, considering how those characters haven't been in the spot light for decades. Meanwhile, GoG characters and Black Panther have movies coming out now. And, of course, we all know the Fox/Marvel/Sony BS going on behind the scenes that prevents the more popular X-men from being in (at least in the default roster).

Probably not the best response in the world in hindsight, but really, no response would have been satisfactory other than "Marvel didn't want them in"...and, obviously Capcom can't say that.

Tripon

That line is bullshit anyway since Deadpool and Wolverine, and X23 aren't in this game, and they all appeared in recent blockbusters that people are aware of.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That line is bullshit anyway since Deadpool and Wolverine, and X23 aren't in this game, and they all appeared in recent blockbusters that people are aware of.
Kind of proving the point here about people paraphrasing terribly and/or just injecting whatever they feel vs. what they said.

Regardless, it's a lose-lose situation. They handled it poorly because, duh, there are some popular X-Men, but everyone knows what it is when it comes to the X-Men, and Capcom, like many devs before them, are resigned to the crosshairs on this topic.

Thores

I don't think what you guys are saying about paraphrasing is completely invalid, but I also think that you're conveniently sweeping what Combofiend ACTUALLY said under the rug:

Q: There was recently a leak about the characters, and people picked up on the fact that a lot of classic characters aren't there, specifically the X-Men characters like Magneto and Sentinel. How do you guys feel about people being hung up on that?

Peter Rosas: If you were to actually think about it, these characters are just functions. They're just doing things. Magneto, case and point, is a favorite because he has eight-way dash and he's really fast, right? So our more technical players, all they want to do is triangle jump and that kind of stuff. Well guess what, Nova can do the same thing, Captain Marvel can do the same thing. Ultron can do the same thing. Go ahead and try them out.

It's just the function that people are associating with the character, and there's no shortage of that. We made sure that all proper play styles can be represented with our current roster. The design team has been looking at that very closely. We wanted to make sure that if a legacy character doesn't happen to make the roster this time, that play style would still be represented. That somebody who has associated themselves with Magneto wouldn't be lost coming into this title.

Like, it doesn't feel like paraphrasing or glazing things over to say that this is a pretty out of touch response.

My mistake on the paraphrasing.

I just remember reading that comment Mike Evans said and it made me go "Wow, it's just one thing after the other with MvCI, ain't it?". I mean, he is right about people not remembering characters like Spiral and Silver Samurai, but it's one of those "Damned if you do/don't" situations.

Top Bottom