• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Beckx

Gotcha, so arena fighters, not traitional 3D Fighters. Traditional 3D fighting games are definitely in a dark age.

oh, for sure, but my point is more in the broader scheme there are so many games coming out.

of course most of them get nothing but "LOL MOBILE GAME" or "LOL OLD" or whatever the witty drive by of the day is. I still think that had the current gaming culture existed 15 years ago most of the games we talk about from the golden age would get absolutely savaged for the amount of jank they had.

Dahbomb

oh, for sure, but my point is more in the broader scheme there are so many games coming out.

of course most of them get nothing but "LOL MOBILE GAME" or "LOL OLD" or whatever the witty drive by of the day is. I still think that had the current gaming culture existed 15 years ago most of the games we talk about from the golden age would get absolutely savaged for the amount of jank they had.
Of course they would have gotten savaged. Marvel 2, 3Rd Strike and CVS2 would not have survived as long as they did.

Everything from roster, to visuals, to content and even balance is on razor focus now. And how a game plays on stream is very important too (ie. SFXT issue). Your average viewer these days isn't going to stomach Storm's "OHs" or Chun Li's yelps.

Line_HTX

yeah, stop complaining about xiaoyu, line!

image.php

Pffffft... miku please.

kirblar

Man you guys are missing the joke!

All I know is that if Dormammu is in this game, and Keits' hypothesis about being able to resurrect characters with a Soul stone is right, I'm playing runaway Dormammu and doing nothing but building meter to resurrect my partner over and over. Timer scam for DAYS.
But that's how you beat Dormammu!

NEO0MJ

I think the art/visuals will most certainly change before release. The visuals for SFV changed quite a bit from its first preview.

KoF got a great patch that boosted its visuals after release so I don't think its out of the realm of possibility for Capcom to do the same thing.

As long as the gameplay is there, the game will do well.

There was a much bigger window between when SFV was revealed and when it launched.

Good point about KOF, though. Still, do you think Capcom would be willing to give it that treatment.

There was a much bigger window between when SFV was revealed and when it launched.

Good point about KOF, though. Still, do you think Capcom would be willing to give it that treatment.

Yeah maybe it won't change too drastically but I don't think it will look quite the same. To me it seems like they are prioritizing gameplay over graphics.

And I think they would because clearly the only major complaint people have with the game is it's graphics.

shaowebb

MVCI is so Arcana like with its stones. Infinity Surges and Storms...so much like the passive abilities in Arcanas that would augment movement, damage, space control or your comeback mechanics to allow you to rebalance your characters based on their weaknesses.

Combo breakers mitigate some touch of death stuff alongside of how OTG's and combo limitations are redone. Plus people have to be more careful with meter now since they cant just stockpile as much of it...lvl 3 is definitely costly given how valuable breakers are. I'd focus more on spending for Infinity Surge abilities on the Stone gauge than using super meter for stuff if I could.

Thor will be easy to tweak now. He can either drag folks to himself or teleport through stuff. Iron Fist would even work in this setup too...especially given the tag nature of it over an assist filled landscape. Hell since its got arcanas, breakers, less bar, and more tag stuff than assist stuff in the landscape you could plug any of UMVC3 into it and make em work.

Pretty happy Marvel seems to be taking so many pages from what made TVC, SFx Tekken, and Arcana Heart work so well and cherry picked the best concepts from them to adapt and turn into one very nice sounding singular environment. Hell they even got mashable LP combos like sooooo many other fighters now so that anyone can hit confirm at any level plus the new 4 button magic series is in with lplkHpHk being a thing anyone can do. They've learned a lot from other games in the past decade and designed a fighter to distill all the best features into one environment to rebuild MVC on. I dig what I'm reading and seeing so far a lot.

I want to see more dashes on the ground and in the air. That piece of movement will decide if they got the nice footsies from TVC right with the way they setup things. In that game wavedashing wasn't a thing and the way you eventually could wave dash wasn't worth the effort given how much mileage you could get from just the normal dashes, setup systems and air dashing in the game.

Dahbomb

Infinity Stones still feel more like selectable V triggers that everyone has access to. There is an active skill that builds the bar on use or you build it by getting hit and then there is the active.

Though the 3 shown are already better than any V Skill/Trigger combo in SFV. Space Stone is like an Aegis but 10x more busted... suitable for Marvel.

pizzacat

Banned
they dont get hurt off the box thing tho

urien gotta be a shoe in right?

how nasty would that plus aegis be

or if chip is good in this game his shoulder super

Dahbomb

You can still jump and even super jump, the cube does stretch vertically up to a point. But like... the hell are you going to do when you can't block and can't move horizontally? They can basically just do simple resets over and over again on you because you can't block.

shaowebb

Alberto said in his build the Cube makes you unable to block or use tag mechanics. Probably a bit too busted tbh.

Yeah stuff like that is why I think the 4 bar reduction is awesome. 1 bar super into lvl 3 DHC? Okay...but I bet they got full Infinity gauge for the next guy. Off a touch he could likely go into 1 bar super, infinity storm to kill a dude. That or multiple infinity surges from all that bar means good luck handling their bullshit without 2 bars on deck for emergency breakers.

Folks will need to manage meter very intelligently in this game. If they go breaker happy they neuter themself. If they go super happy they can get dropped by tag mechanic mixups or Stone tactics. This makes me pretty happy if they balance the meter build and damage of supers properly so that it works out as intended.

TBH I thought all you could do was block in the shame cube though. Are you really unable to block? When I send someone to their room its likely a free kill with some dudes if I time it right with bar.

You can still jump and even super jump, the cube does stretch vertically up to a point. But like... the hell are you going to do when you can't block and can't move horizontally? They can basically just do simple resets over and over again on you because you can't block.

Agreed--not being able to block seems a bit much. You may as well not even have the cube at that point.

Dahbomb

You can't use tag mechanics while in the cube so that means you can't combo break while in Cube.

Again this is what Alberto said. So far in the videos I haven't seen anyone block anything in the Cube.

That cube sounds too OP if you can't block while you're in it. Whats to stop putting someone in there and popping a super that tracks, i.e. Spell of Vishanti

Negaduck

You can't use tag mechanics while in the cube so that means you can't combo break while in Cube.

Again this is what Alberto said. So far in the videos I haven't seen anyone block anything in the Cube.

Yeah I had mentioned hearing that you couldn't block in the cube. Darry says you can.

9q2e5BT.jpg

Dlent

A lot of people are saying it looks like a mobile game, but those are sometimes successful and make a lot of money. Maybe this is exactly what they wanted it to look like.

Infinite

Infinity Stones still feel more like selectable V triggers that everyone has access to. There is an active skill that builds the bar on use or you build it by getting hit and then there is the active.

Though the 3 shown are already better than any V Skill/Trigger combo in SFV. Space Stone is like an Aegis but 10x more busted... suitable for Marvel.

so pretty much arcana? Although it's missing the stat multipliers and passive attributes for now at least. Either way I'm digging it so far no how you guys choose to describe lol

A lot of people are saying it looks like a mobile game, but those are sometimes successful and make a lot of money. Maybe this is exactly what they wanted it to look like.

I don't think it looks like a mobile game and I think the people who say that are being a bit facetious. It'll start looking like a mobile game though if it animates like fucking garbage and that isn't the case for it right now

Beckx

meant to ask: so the capcom dude actually used "fake news" the same way Trump does, by applying it to actual, real news?

LOL

why did he do that

BadWolf

Juicebox streaming KOF patch updates

https://www.twitch.tv/juicebox_fgc

these two fuckers on the parade stage acting like they're a big deal cause they can juggle two pins...with two hands...

Also James has his newbie GG room stream going

https://www.twitch.tv/jchensor

Thanks, Juice is probably happy about that Hein buff.

As for the carnival stage, the witch in the middle is my fave. Someone put a lot of love into her animation.

mbpm1

meant to ask: so the capcom dude actually used "fake news" the same way Trump does, by applying it to actual, real news?

LOL

why did he do that

to show he's in touch with us memers

some guy from australia claims he got his hands on mvci for a bit, some info there. Grains of salt, but it does sound interesting.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I think I remember Yipes saying Marvel will have it's own CPT like thing.

Button layout is the biggest thing for me. I like the take back to Marvel 2.

Beckx

@Harada_TEKKEN
I haven't said anything like PETA.
It'a only a story about "who has complaints whatever we do"
But even Panda enters TEKKEN

lol

i think he literally just doesn't want the guy to think he said PETA

Harada does not want the PETA tweets

EVEN PANDA IS HERE PETA DON'T @ ME

I actually thought this as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the look is something of a mandate from Marvel that adds a visual cohesiveness in regards to the mobile game.

Seyavesh

I actually thought this as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the look is something of a mandate from Marvel that adds a visual cohesiveness in regards to the mobile game.

'make it look like a phone game so we can port the assets over to the game that actually makes money'

i see you marvel

waitin' on the contest of champions expansion pack w all your favorite capcom chars like x and ryu

Top Bottom