• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

NEO0MJ

I feel the same way with MVC2. I think the older games looked way better. The sterile bland backgrounds of MVC2 pales in comparison to the older games.

MVC2 was both a budget job (I feel) and severally limited technically (I know).
The reason most characters looked so stiff and ugly when moving is that they had to cut a lot of frames to get it running well.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
MVC2 was both a budget job (I feel) and severally limited technically (I know).
The reason most characters looked so stiff and ugly when moving is that they had to cut a lot of frames to get it running well.

Sentinel in particular seemed to lose a lot of detail (and even some unique attacks) in the long transition from COTA to MvC2. And he definitely wasn't the only one to suffer.

MvC2 was a hack-and-slash job that crammed as many characters into a project with seemingly significant budget or time constraints. It's as if Capcom was determined to fit in as much as they could into a single game while they still had the Marvel license. Visually, it's a jarring mess of old CPS2 sprites from different source games with significantly different art direction slapped on top of unfitting 3D backgrounds. Thematically, nothing in the game aside from the characters themselves evokes anything about Marvel or Capcom. Any effort put into that game went to the roster size and the gameplay; artistically, it certainly gives off the impression that it was a budget job.

On the other hand, when it comes to aesthetics alone, I think MvC3 is one of the stand-out games in the entire genre. (Guilty Gear Xrd or Vampire Savior would probably take my crown for most impressive overall, fwiw.) I don't know if there's anything in particular that "wowed" me in Marvel 3, but pretty much everything about it is slick and meshes well together. The character models, particle effects, and general art direction are all on point. The stages and final boss at least pull a lot from the actual Marvel and Capcom universes, which is more than can be said of MvC3's predecessor. And there's all the little touches like the team-specific tag calls or the plethora of matchup-specific dialogue (which not even SF4 had... unless you were playing in arcade mode, for some reason).

Isn't that the one where you find out Aladdin's dad was like Ali baba and the 40 thieves? Or am I making that up? I remember that being so awesome.

Close. It involved the Hand of Midas.

Was there one with a turtle island too?

Yup. Aladdin's father is revealed to be the King of Thieves, who is searching for the Hand of Midas that was hidden on an island that was on the back of a giant turtle.

Pompadour

It still bums me out that the rival dialogue in SF4 was ONLY in Arcade Mode.

That was so incredibly dumb. The worst part about the focus on story modes in fighting games is that all the cool shit in them is often limited to that mode. SFV's story mode has all this voice acting, animations, and levels limited to a mode people will play once or twice.

They need to take that money and invest it into a bunch of character specific mid-match dialogue, intros, winposes, etc. and let the fights tell the story. Add that to the arcade mode and it'll be cinematic enough to please the people who "need" a story mode in fighting games.

Line_HTX

Ugh, this thing will be on TBS? Hope it's not as bad and boring as Shaq shilling that CSGO League that was also on TBS last year.

Beckx

I tried to give SFV another shot yesterday. Started the game on Steam assuming that like other fighting games, it's been keeping itself auto-updated through Steam. Nope. It wants to update via the the client itself with a large update. Tried messing around in training mode and remembered that the game still runs like ass on my Alienware Alpha even at 720p/medium settings (and anything below medium looks really, really bad - the game's performance scaling is terrible).
Thought about trying story mode but got a warning that since it was updating and therefore offline, I wouldn't earn any fight money.

Closed out the app and played other fighting games. It may very well be a great technical street fighter but some of the decisions they made are just brain dead.

I tried to give SFV another shot yesterday. Started the game on Steam assuming that like other fighting games, it's been keeping itself auto-updated through Steam. Nope. It wants to update via the the client itself with a large update. Tried messing around in training mode and remembered that the game still runs like ass on my Alienware Alpha even at 720p/medium settings (and anything below medium looks really, really bad - the game's performance scaling is terrible).
Thought about trying story mode but got a warning that since it was updating and therefore offline, I wouldn't earn any fight money.

Closed out the app and played other fighting games. It may very well be a great technical street fighter but some of the decisions they made are just brain dead.

gaf/video game world fighting game of the year tho

Dahbomb

Yep. So many baffling design decissions. Throws beating buttons still boggles my mind. Throws should be bottom of the priority wheel. There needs to be some risk when attempting a throw on offense.
Also made worse by throws having just 18f recovery so even when you do throw whiff on offense and they jump up you can still anti air in time LOL! Command throws are better in this regard, loads of recovery time on them where you can legit back dash/jump up and still get a punish on most of them.

Worst is when they whiff a throw in your face but you can't react in time to punish it because 18f with 6.5 of lag plus internet. They throw whiff, recover and throw out a button just when you realized they whiffed a throw and you should press a button but you get stuffed or worse CC'd for your troubles.

Top Bottom