• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 16-22

I don't understand where any of the "real cash" is coming from in the FGC. The whole model doesn't make sense for me because I don't see any of these sponsors putting in real bank. Shit, even the SC2/LoL model doesn't make sense to me.

The FGC's model is self-substaining and the cash comes mostly from the players. There's absolutely no reason for there to be a need for "real cash". Of course it's hard to be profittable, but none of these guys are in it for the money. As long as people come to their events and have fun they are happy.

The Esports guys too obviously are not in it for the money, but for their wish to see professional gaming to be a reality. It's just that they want to blow it up big fast and to them begging for money from venture capitalists and throwing money around is the best way to do that.

The FGC's model is self-substaining and the cash comes mostly from the players. There's absolutely no reason for there to be a need for "real cash". Of course it's hard to be profittable, but none of these guys are in it for the money. As long as people come to their events and have fun they are happy.

The Esports guys too obviously are not in it for the money, but for their wish to see professional gaming to be a reality. It's just that they want to blow it up big fast and to them begging for money from venture capitalists and throwing money around is the best way to do that.

I was surprised to learn that as grand and expensive IPL4 looked, they still made a profit, albeit a really small one (4 figures).

I guess not everyone runs a bloated ship like MLG.

did anyone see the latest wolfkrone vs spooky vid? wolf complaining about no headsets.

remove if already posted or old

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVC4oggpVNQ

y u no throw trittons at them Marky?
lol.gif

El Sloth

Banned
Does anyone know if there will be any fighting games at the upcoming MLG Arena in NYC or is it just SCII? And can people go and spectate? I'm looking at the MLG website and it's only talking about buying passes to watch it online. Doesn't even name the damn venue.

How do you hook up normal headphones to a tv hooked up to stream equipment?

Do you need an adapter to go through the optical out, or is there something else going on?

It doesn't seem simple, unless the tv has a headphones jack.

jbug617

Banned
Does anyone know if there will be any fighting games at the upcoming MLG Arena in NYC or is it just SCII? And can people go and spectate? I'm looking at the MLG website and it's only talking about buying passes to watch it online. Doesn't even name the damn venue.

Arena will probably be most likely in the MLG office so don't expect any spectators. The fighting game arena is going to be free (SC2 Arena you had to pay). I think only MK and SCV will be at MLG Arena.

zlatko

Banned
Any skullgirls tonight?

Interesting question. Wasn't it only 8 entrants for the last gathering event for the FGC? Surely, now with time and good word of mouth there is more people on board.

If not then things are going to look quite bleak for that games future.

K.Sabot

Interesting question. Wasn't it only 8 entrants for the last gathering event for the FGC? Surely, now with time and good word of mouth there is more people on board.

That was a shitty rumor, people at the venue of Power Up said 40+.

jbug617

Banned

the 8 entrants thing is wrong. Keits said it had around 40. Skullgirls will be at TRB. I don't think Big 2 will have it.

They had top 8 for SG so there's no way in hell there was only 8 people.

Spooky got the videos up on his youtube channel from power up. Rather hype if you ask me. Hell I bought SG because of it and I must say it was a good purchase.

How do you hook up normal headphones to a tv hooked up to stream equipment?

Do you need an adapter to go through the optical out, or is there something else going on?

It doesn't seem simple, unless the tv has a headphones jack.

Everyone listens to music or something else, unless everyone around me has actually been plugging in their shit in without me knowing. :(

El Sloth

Banned
Arena will probably be most likely in the MLG office so don't expect any spectators. The fighting game arena is going to be free (SC2 Arena you had to pay). I think only MK and SCV will be at MLG Arena.
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll just see if the local Barcraft will have any screens showing MK and SCV.

Stay free to FGC scuttlebutt.

Everyone listens to music or something else, unless everyone around me has actually been plugging in their shit in without me knowing. :(

ahh. haha. I didn't know. I remember somebody saying that FChamp listens to the in game audio somehow, and I thought that's what everybody was trying to do.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll just see if the local Barcraft will have any screens showing MK and SCV.

Stay free to FGC scuttlebutt.

There will be spectators, but those are more like invited guests. I think each person competing is allowed to bring 2 guests with them to MLG's offices.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Filipino Champ and Fubarduck use an Astro Gaming Mixamp Pro, if I'm not mistaken. I'm not exactly sure how it hooks up to the console but it does let them split the game audio out to their own headset.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Fubarduck suggested that it's a more worthwhile investment than an arcade stick. It's a compelling argument. I've been tempted to pick one up.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
ROFL Chris milking that info.

Wolfkrone got put in his place nothing for spooky to be sorry about. Even if you all hollywood now don't act like some dumb ass expecting people to bring headphones for you.

Top Bottom