• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 18-24 | Not holding breath for PSASBR2 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Okay that's too long, probably.

Antman?
The Australian player. He's this week's guest.

...I'm guessing not lol

Related: CC sent out an e-mail today saying they'll be having live casuals today:

Cross Counter studios is inviting the fighting game community to play same casuals live on the set during the taping of today's Cross Counter LIVE episode. We will have mostly X-Box setups, but we may have a couple of PS3's depending on if anyone is able to bring some in. This will be a Bring Your Own Controller event.

If you live in the Los Angeles area or would like to visit us, the Cross Counter studios is located at:
Room 401
6161 Santa Monica Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90038

In order to enter the building, you must enter the code "#8484" to unlock the front door. We will be located on the top floor.

Also they'll be having a Winter Brawl streaming party-slash-Barfights:

After AGE.Knives won his long awaited rematch with TTF.Dios X and EG.Justin Wong scored a win over AGE.Fanatiq, Bar Fights is back on February 24 @ 3:00 PM.

This month, Bar Fights will be hosting a stream party for Winter Brawl 7. If you're in the Los Angeles area or would like to visit, drop by and join the the Los Angeles community in watching the Road to Evo event. We will still have all of our casual setups, but now you can take part in all of the Winter Brawl excitement.

We will once again be hosted at District BBQ & Lounge with a $5 admission fee. We will be have Super Street Fighter IV, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Street Fighter X Tekken, but feel free to bring your own game. This is a Bring Your Own Controller event, but we'll be running on both X-Box 360 and PS3.

The event will be located at:
District BBQ & Lounge
738 East 3rd Street
Los Angeles, CA 90013

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks

Zukuu

Banned
Thank you for releasing the Bryan frame data (and all of the new frame data) today! Just starting playing around with him last night!
Well Bryan has only been set up. It's too much to do everything in one day. That alone took me already pretty long. =/

I'll do his frames tomorrow.

I'm sorry. I like food. >.>

I post more pics on my instagram... well.. Cuz you're required to post pics there, lol.

There is a @WarkMan23 on twitter, lol.

The food? The gaming stuff? Or the girls?

:O

NEOGAF<3

Girls/shoe please. No food because it makes me hungry, and I don't care about the gaming.

This thinking is what leads to pot splits. However, the payout is definitely awkward in that the amount you get from going up a tier doesn't keep increasing.

1st- $3,000
/|\ $1000
2nd- $2,000
/|\ $400
3rd- $1,600
/|\ $200
4th- $1,400
/|\ $300
5th - 6th - $1,100
/|\ $200
7th - 8th- $900
/|\ $300
9th - 12th- $600
/|\ $200
13th - 16th- $400

200>300>200>300>200>400>1000 is super, super awkward, and the scaling should be such that every time you win, the money you're making by winning the next round is more than the money you made winning the previous one.

To me it makes it feel less exciting. Instead of the idea that everything is on the line when you reach GF, you feel like it's not that big of a deal since the money is being distributed so far. I think this is the same pay out they used at EVO, correct me if I'm wrong. Not that my opinion should matter, it's about the players and the communities, right? Just saying that I personally don't like it because I want more pressure on the players and for the stakes to be higher the further they make it into the tournament. Until their is 100k being distributed among the top 16 instead of 16k, I'd prefer prize distribution to be more top heavy. Not 70/20/10 of course, but something more like what Capcom did at the 25th Anniversary tournament, just at a smaller scale.

Top heavy scale always seem whack as fuck to me. People talk about how big of an accomplishment it is to get top 8 at EVO, and what the fuck does top 8 give you? $200? So much for huge accomplishment.

If you had to permanently choose to only watch one of either Bum or FGTV stream for the rest of the year, what would you choose?

Essentially asking which of the two streams would you quit for the next 10 months in favour of the other

I'm going with quitting Bum and watching FGTV

Shouta

Top heavy scale always seem whack as fuck to me. People talk about how big of an accomplishment it is to get top 8 at EVO, and what the fuck does top 8 give you? $200? So much for huge accomplishment.

It's stupid yeah. Top heavy payouts are ok when the prize pool is much smaller but at Sega's total, it's great to reward more of the players rather than just the top 8 or top 3. That's how you want to build community when possible, because it keeps the good to great players attracted long enough that they may break the wall into the very top of the rankings. When a lot of folks are paying their own way to these tournaments, being able to recoup it just a bit by doing well is kind of nice.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If you had to permanently choose to only watch one of either Bum or FGTV stream for the rest of the year, what would you choose?

Essentially asking which of the two streams would you quit for the next 10 months in favour of the other

I'd quit both and make it so Floe had to stream

That reminds me, do you know a GAF'er named DragonballJoespeh? He use to be more active during the earlier days of SF4. But anyways, he made top 8 at Final Round last year with his Sakura, I think he finished tied for 7th. Final Round had the largest SF4/single FG touranment ever outside of EVO or the Gamestop tournament(if you count that) in the post SF4 era with 426 players. A week or so after that, I went to GAF IRC and he was there, I asked him how much he got for placing so high. I think he told me something like $150. I was like "LOL WUT".

I thought FR was distributing the pay more evenly since I heard that Kusoru only got $1500 for winning Marvel(which had 402 players). I wish they would make the pay scale public, but oh well. Basically it sucks to make it that far in such a huge tournament for chump change. So I am a bit conflicted about this, but their just isn't enough money to go around with everybody throwing $10 into the pot and no sponsor money in the mix.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
$(KGrHqV,!hMFEFOUcCW3BRI605GP8g~~60_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-16x20-Oil-Painting-of-Mike-Ross-E-Honda-/230932144355

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Please drop Gief. You need more derpy & tekken in your SFxT game. I don't know how you get Guile to work in that game since there is so much rushdown.

Defensive play works fine in SFxT and guile is still one of the better defensive characters due to his normals and lp sonic boom

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The on blast show will be up in a little while. Spectators are to report to your designated area. T minus one hour or so.

Everybody seems to be all hype with next-gen. I can't be the only one that doesn't care based on what I'm hearing. People whining about paying for this and that, let's see how they like next-gen.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The on blast show will be up in a little while. Spectators are to report to your designated area.

Everybody seems to be all hype with next-gen. I can't be the only one that doesn't care based on what I'm hearing. People whining about paying for this and that, let's see how they like next-gen.

I'm hype for next gen just cause that dpad looks great :3

Zukuu

Banned
Defensive play works fine in SFxT and guile is still one of the better defensive characters due to his normals and lp sonic boom

I main Guile x Paul, and Guile is mid tier at best I feel. His anti air game is whack and he is in the girls league when it comes to health, so you can only guess wrong once and survive it most of the time. That he does little to no damage isn't beneficial either. And his bnb is a 1F link. But you CAN play him effectively, it's hard work tho, since more then half the cast has some easy ways to get through projectiles.

Shouta

it was good in vanilla but this game is hard to turtle now that chains suck

Is that you Lando?

You gotta be a lot more active with the turtling now because you aren't going to be safe 100% of the time like it was in Vanilla. It's about maintaining the balance in offense and defense that will make turtling more effective. Knowing when to push and keep them from moving forward instead of just stopping their advance. Plus a lot of techniques used in AE don't work as well in this because of all the various system stuff. You can beat Floe's Jin/Guy, but you can't using the AE methodology, it has to be more specific to this game.

I was the guy playing Mega Man against you guys on stream the other night. =p

L2P

Neo Member
Is that you Lando?

You gotta be a lot more active with the turtling now because you aren't going to be safe 100% of the time like it was in Vanilla. It's about maintaining the balance in offense and defense that will make turtling more effective. .......

yea its me.. my team was really good in vanilla. But the nerfs to Guile/Gief and the buffs to many of the tekken cast make it too hard now. Guile does no damage and has no health. I get hit by an over head and take 550 damage.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I only care about next-gen because I wanna see new stuff.
I couldn't be more excited for next gen. All the semantics, annoyances and get thrown aside when companies show the right games. Last Guardian for PS4? All the criticism eats a sock and suddenly legs spread wide. I mean wallets open wide.

You chose poorly. Very, very poorly.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
FFXIII and RE6 are prime examples of why I have no faith. So much wasted resources and potential with those two. It's like companies took one step forward and two steps back this generation. I wanted a truly mind-blowing Silent Hill, Onimusha, Breath of Fire, Suikoden, Shadow Hearts, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, etc, games for this generation but nobody delivered.
We did get a bunch of new IPs but the games were inconsistent in quality and did not feel like it had that much of an impact when it's all said and done. And tons of goodies from Japan never even made it over here.

Dahbomb

FFXIII and RE6 are prime examples of why I have no faith. So much wasted resources and potential with those two. It's like companies took one step forward and two steps back this generation. I wanted a truly mind-blowing Silent Hill, Onimusha, Breath of Fire, Shadow Hearts, Panzer Dragoon, etc, games for this generation but nobody delivered.
We did get a bunch of new IPs but the games were inconsistent in quality and did not feel like it had that much of an impact when it's all said and done.
Yea the current gen was a pretty bad one for Japanese IPs.

Shouta

yea its me.. my team was really good in vanilla. But the nerfs to Guile/Gief and the buffs to many of the tekken cast make it too hard now. Guile does no damage and has no health. I get hit by an over head and take 550 damage.

Well, if you use the boost chain launcher (confirming them of course), you'll still be able to get damage from both Guile and Gief. That's the biggest thing with a lot of the SF characters, you have to use launchers or Tag Canceled Combos to get the damage as they don't have a lot of fancy combos off bounces and the like.

Sit down with the game and mess with the systems a bit more. I think you can get that one game off Floe, if not more, if you learn the game specific stuff.

Well, Gief is gonna a bit harder though, you need someone to get in for him, lol.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yea the current gen was a pretty bad one for Japanese IPs.
Thank god for western developers consistently bringing the heat. Honestly I would hate it if I could only play or like Japanese games, I'd be missing out on so much, especially if I only cared for terribly mismanaged companies like Squeenix.

Japan just couldn't adapt to HD gen. And that just makes the ones who could like From Software and Polyphony shine much brighter. Capcom has fared better though, it's just recent stuff like Dragon's Dogma and RE6 were just WTF r u doin tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom