• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | February 11-17 | C&D is Magic Edition

OMG Lando (Guile/Gief) rage-won against PR-ROG (dudley/paul)

Lando; I forgot Dudley has a teleport reka. 90% damage. Full screen.

Lando " You are not a good player. I can't play you like this" leaves.

They're playing Fate/Unlimited Codes now; F/UC's fun, in a busted kind of way, but damn...I missed out of SFEX2+. My heart aches.

FU/C isn't busted. You just have to respect that this is a one touch fighter. And in that the game reaches some sort of balance because everybody is capable of one touching you. Some characters are better than others but this is a fighter where every fighter can complete and win. The PSP version fixed most of this stuff but the game lost a bit of its umph because of it but a great fighter regardless.

And EX2+ was amazing to watch. The Grand Finals went to the last round too. EPIC!!!

FU/C isn't busted. You just have to respect that this is a one touch fighter. And in that the game reaches some sort of balance because everybody is capable of one touching you. Some characters are better than others but this is a fighter where every fighter can complete and win.

That's what I meant by busted, though! I guess I phrased it wrong, then. I treat F/UC like I do Hokuto no Ken and Breakers Revenge - the game's so loose and fast that offense and defense are on another level compared to more grounded games like Street Fighter or KOF.

And EX2+ was amazing to watch. The Grand Finals went to the last round too. EPIC!!!

UUUUUUUUGH
God, I hope a-cho uploads it soon.

That's what I meant by busted, though! I guess I phrased it wrong, then. I treat F/UC like I do Hokuto no Ken and Breakers Revenge - the game's so loose and fast that offense and defense are on another level compared to more grounded games like Street Fighter or KOF.

Oh, that busted. Gotcha. And Breakers Revenge is OK as long as nobody picks Condor and Bai Hu stays the hell away.

UUUUUUUUGH
God, I hope a-cho uploads it soon.

It's a-cho. It'll be on Youtube sometime this week.

Lando vs. Champ is hilarity at its finest, especially when he spits truth on Champ.
KuGsj.gif

Is this match archived somewhere?

It's on FGTV, so if you have money then you can watch the archives. :|

In the last thread I noticed Western once again declare that he popularize the term "09'er" or something like that. Well as a follow up to that I would also like to declare that I was the dude who broke the news to everybody else out there that DMC3 was being made. I read the interview from the actress doing mo cap for the game from Kungfucinema's website and was like "yo yo, look what I found out". Even after I did that, nobody seemed to give a shit until months later when it finally gained traction and gaming sites started reporting about it. But I never got any credit for it and I think I should finally be given the credit I deserve.

In the last thread I noticed Western once again declare that he popularize the term "09'er" or something like that. Well as a follow up to that I would also like to declare that I was the dude who broke the news to everybody else out there that DMC3 was being made. I read the interview from the actress doing mo cap for the game from Kungfucinema's website and was like "yo yo, look what I found out". Even after I did that, nobody seemed to give a shit until months later when it finally gained traction and gaming sites started reporting about it. But I never got any credit for it and I think I should finally be given the credit I deserve.

I invented the question mark. Now everybody uses it.

Azure J

Missed the last discussion in the old thread sooooo:

'89er here. Casually screwed around in a lot of fighters until I saw some footage of Vampire Saviour and Makoto in Third Strike about 2 or 3 years ago. Decided to get good at them, but didn't have the means to keep up in those games. Late 2010, early 2011, GAF exploded with the early Marvel 3 hype riding off the Clock/Neo money match in Marvel 2 nd I decided I'd take this game s my crash course in understanding fighters. (Also helped that "omg DMC3 Dante is in, GoTY").

I'm pretty sure I'm the guy who coined "Uncanny Edition". I want to get paid when that shit happens for Mahvel.

:lol

Hyun Sai

90 mins. of, for the most part, fast paced SFxT v2013 matches:

Is the hate so strong against this game we have to precise "fast paced" whenever we want people watching it ?

I'm wondering, because I often see this with SfxT videos, and I don't remember this happening to any fighting games before.

i came up with money matches. first time it happened was 92, made two 5 dollar bills fight to the death.

Well I'm turning 30 next month, I guess that puts me in Valle tier. Been playing fighting games since SF2
on the SNES
and have been in love with the series ever since. Discovered competitive play with the Daigo parry video back in 2004 or 2005, can't remember but it wasn't long after it happened. It showed me a world I never new existed before, but I didn't really try to find out about the scene as it was the dark ages and it has been several years since a new Capcom fighter had been released. I've been stream monstering since 2009 and didn't attend my first tournament until 2010. Unless I can get my lazy ass to Charlotte for the next Rock'em Sock'em Tournament, my next tournament should be Final Round. I'm really excited about it as it will be my first time attending.

EDIT: Just registered for Final Round a few minutes ago. Got around that error message I kept getting by using the ol' reliable Internet Explorer. Only playing SF4 and since I work Sundays, I'll probably only be there Friday. By some miracle if I made top, I'll be sure to call out of work, but I don't see that happening. I hope a lot of internationals show up for SF4, Justin's twitter post has me optimistic. Hopefully it's not just international minions, that would be pretty disappointing, for me anyways :p

I'm an 87 guy. I never wanted to play fighting games until Super Smash Brothers for N64 came out because they always looked way too complex for me to understand. But using Pikachu to beat up other Nintendo characters was a thought I couldn't resist. Then I added the Naruto GameCube games to my roster. It wasn't until 2009 that I saw a wide variety of people playing SF4 but I wasn't interested because it had no character designs I liked until Ibuki came along in SSF4. I learned how to use a stick with TvC and the rest is history. I'd love to improve at fighters and get more involved in the community, but the Toronto scene is only alive when it comes to Marvel, it seems...

Every match used to be a money match. You lose a quarter or two and have to take the walk of shame to the back of the line.

I was playing WW and CE when I could barely reach the buttons on the cabinet, and I would win, even though I'm pretty sure a lot of people let me win. It wasn't until MK2 where I could go on win streaks. By the time Tekken 3 was out, I was skipping school to go to the mall and play. Funnily enough, I never went to an official tournament and now I'm too old and busy to be good at fighting games. It sucks, but such is life.

I'm old.

Dahbomb

That was you?

Man you are straight up OG. Pre-DMC3 hype was best hype.

I'm an 87 guy. I never wanted to play fighting games until Super Smash Brothers for N64 came out because they always looked way too complex for me to understand. But using Pikachu to beat up other Nintendo characters was a thought I couldn't resist. Then I added the Naruto GameCube games to my roster. It wasn't until 2009 that I saw a wide variety of people playing SF4 but I wasn't interested because it had no character designs I liked until Ibuki came along in SSF4. I learned how to use a stick with TvC and the rest is history. I'd love to improve at fighters and get more involved in the community, but the Toronto scene is only alive when it comes to Marvel, it seems...
I sorta know the feeling regarding Smash. Running, air movement, specials and most moves in general felt simple and intuitive in Smash(especially Melee) compared to the ridiculous number of fighters I played that required quarter circles, shoryuken motions and the goddamned 360 motions. It was a gigantic turnoff for years. I realised that I was truly past that barrier for the first time two days ago when I played Guilty with some people at a cousin's house and could consistently pull off what I wanted to do with 75% of the cast. All that Mahvel, BlazBlue, VSav and Skullgirls finally got through my thick ass skull lol.

I sorta know the feeling regarding Smash. Running, air movement, specials and most moves in general felt simple and intuitive in Smash(especially Melee) compared to the ridiculous number of fighters I played that required quarter circles, shoryuken motions and the goddamned 360 motions. It was a gigantic turnoff for years. I realised that I was truly past that barrier for the first time two days ago when I played Guilty with some people at a cousin's house and could consistently pull off what I wanted to do with 75% of the cast. All that Mahvel, BlazBlue, VSav and Skullgirls finally got through my thick ass skull lol.

Yeah, exactly, and in addition to the Nintendo characters Smash is extremely easy to learn. I feel kind of bad that I always fell for the whole "Oh, this game is really easy to get into! We made it really accessible for beginners!" PR stuff because whether it's Street Fighter, Marvel, Tekken etc they're all actually quite difficult compared to how welcoming Smash can be. I sure hope I can reach that level you're enjoying now. I'm unfortunately a masher...just something I can't get rid of. =/

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, exactly, and in addition to the Nintendo characters Smash is extremely easy to learn. I feel kind of bad that I always fell for the whole "Oh, this game is really easy to get into! We made it really accessible for beginners!" PR stuff because whether it's Street Fighter, Marvel, Tekken etc they're all actually quite difficult compared to how welcoming Smash can be. I sure hope I can reach that level you're enjoying now. I'm unfortunately a masher...just something I can't get rid of. =/
IMO traditional fighters are the way they are because for legacy reasons they can't remove those input methods, they're what people are used to and what the core audience has grown accustomed to and accepted as a defining feature of the genre. When people think of fighters, they think of mashing buttons and quarter circles, for good or for worse.

I honestly think these still could be 1000x more accessible than they are right now, devs just aren't hungry enough to make it happen. Why the fuck are tutorials still a powerpoint presentation with text and not narrated? Why do they still teach by telling and not showing? These are easily fixable solutions that do indeed require a bit more work but the payoff would be removing one of the biggest stigmas tied to the genre that limit it's expansion or resurgence into the mainstream. Trailers and marketing need to focus on the ease of access too, that's what's necessary to break down the walls that have accumulated over time.

I popularized DAS PIPU online in Vanilla Marvel 3.

Also, yeah, fighting games DO need MUCH better tutorials about basic mechanics. I think Skullgirls was a step in the right direction, but still, things could be done much better to teach people fighting games. You might as well just explain everything yourself to your friend instead off pushing them into trial mode/tutorial mode or what have you.

I did not invent 09er. I just threw fuel into the fire and made the use more rampant.

On SRK it was a tradition to haze the new incoming class and most of them took it, then the following year dish it. However because of the popularity of SF4 there were so many 09ers that they fought back, which eventually fuck SRK up and turned it into the shit hole that it is now. If only they would of just took it like everyone else (all jokes anyways) it would have been fine. I blame guys like LE SWAGGA for this shit. They bitched all the way up the ladder to wizard, and the cannons.

Which lead to removal of join dates, then rep bar and now added SRK beta where there this bootleg ass like system.

I'm still stuck in that phase with Tekken and Soulcalibur to be fair. Traditional 2D fighters seem very understandable to me outside of KOF and stuff like Arcana/Melty. Most old games besides Vampire Savior are stiff as hell, though.
IMO traditional fighters are the way they are because for legacy reasons they can't remove those input methods, they're what people are used to and what the core audience has grown accustomed to and accepted as a defining feature of the genre. When people think of fighters, they think of mashing buttons and quarter circles, for good or for worse.

I honestly think these still could be 1000x more accessible than they are right now, devs just aren't hungry enough to make it happen. Why the fuck are tutorials still a powerpoint presentation with text and not narrated? Why do they still teach by telling and not showing? These are easily fixable solutions that do indeed require a bit more work but the payoff would be removing one of the biggest stigmas tied to the genre that limit it's expansion or resurgence into the mainstream. Trailers and marketing need to focus on the ease of access too, that's what's necessary to break down the walls that have accumulated over time.
Sometimes I wonder if it's the devs or if the audience just isn't hungry enough to change anything. It's definitely a bit of both, I think. I feel that the publishers and developers are more forward thinking than their consumers in the case of fighting games, though.

I did not invent 09er. I just threw fuel into the fire and made the use more rampant.

On SRK it was a tradition to haze the new incoming class and most of them took it, then the following year dish it. However because of the popularity of SF4 there were so many 09ers that they fought back, which eventually fuck SRK up and turned it into the shit hole that it is now. If only they would of just took it like everyone else (all jokes anyways) it would have been fine. I blame guys like LE SWAGGA for this shit. They bitched all the way up the ladder to wizard, and the cannons.

Which lead to removal of join dates, then rep bar and now added SRK beta where there this bootleg ass like system.

my website was ruined by people not letting me harass them

Zukuu

Banned
MY DUDE

Make sure Christie is a priority :p

I actually think she will be the last (or Lei) since I'm afraid of both with their tons of moves and strings I have no clue about ._.

Now if someone would write down all her moves and do the basic busywork (all moves, input, damage values, hit levels etc) I could be convinced to do her earlier (next?). :3

Alisa will be finished in a few hours, have her normals finished, only her specials are left.

Top Bottom