• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | January 7-13 | All Eyez on Mr. Wizard

Azure J

I draw the line at punishing the player for landing a combo. I'm not a fan of requiring high execution, as I feel fighting games are best when played at the mental level and not the physical, but I just don't like that you can break a combo, even if it's still tied to resources. X-factor doesn't do that, and the miracle is it can be used offensively, defensively and as a counter. The mechanic is beautiful in theory IMO, it's just still overpowered and outcomes rely on it's usage too much.

I'm not a fan of ToDs either. I always thought Marvel should have employed systems where hitstun decreases exponentially or something until you finally flip out unless you hit something on the exact next frame or something, but I also kind of understand why the game favours high damage and long combos; it rewards optimization. MvC3 makes you value the entire team more because a third of it can be gone from one mistake. High damage and ToDs keep the pace of the game fast. It's not the best solution, but I understand why they did it.

Real talk, they just need to wholesale rip the combo grading system out of Devil May Cry, apply some Skullgirls-isms to it and adapt it into a fighter.

- "Style ranking" changed to a general 3 strike judgement system. Instead of hitstun decay, you have timing decay. Increased duration of a combo slowly degrades the combo with the game expressing itself with a visual "Wrap it up box" like the hitsparks changing from Blue/Green to Yellow to Red.

- Combo started with a bounce or soft/hard knockdown style tactic get graded in the yellow as the following confirm is easier from these type of moves.

- If you continue to combo while you've hit the red or in other words maxed out your time, did cheesy shit during your combo (which speeds up the degradation of the combo/change in states between your confirm and the danger zone), or used multiple bounce or differing knockdown style moves, your opponent that has been put into movie mode gets a player controlled choice between letting it play out or interfering with the combo via Burst or more optimally a Guard Cancel vSav style, etc. Hell maybe you could do it like grooves and have a pick your poison before the match between a neutral non-damaging burst, a high HSD style flip out a la UMVC3, or VSav like Guard Cancels.

I'm very fond of the idea behind bursts because it adds another layer of reading habits/tendencies and tension to a situation, but I feel like there's ways to make it even more welcome and exciting without adding difficulty to the aggressor in landing their hit confirm.

What pushed a lot of people over the edge about Mega Crash was that you could get combos off of it.

This is a legit no-no.

Deps

Give me a list of top tournament players who only play this game for money, since you know them all so well.

I never said only for money, but most top players who play marvel 3 definitely don't play it because it's the best or most fun game out. And by top players I mean people who are tournaments winners. I'm sure a lot of the mid level players who haven't proven themselves in other games like it, but I don't see them being consistent winners like Pr Rog, Justin, Combofiend, who all dislike the game, hell Justin likes SFxT more. UMVC3 is too unpredictable for top players to enjoy in tournament, who enjoy solid fundamental based play, which is what makes top players the best in the first place.

All of those characters have been used by players to shave games off of the best of the best. I'm not sure if your trying to narrow down what characters are viable or what characters are the absolute best, in which case, yes, the list of the absolute best would be narrower than the former.

I wouldn't say choices are dwindling either, Hawkeye and Strange use is on the rise with the Morrigan threat, and players are experimenting with other characters (i.e. Rog with Iron Man, Alukard with Jill and Spiderman, FChamp with Hawkeye, countless players with Strange etc.). All of those characters I feel can be present on team compositions that pose threats to teams used by top players ATM, or already exist on top player's teams ATM. I just feel like now is a time where people are weighing their options more than ever, it's a time of stress, the same as how it was when Phoenix was the biggest threat to the game and people felt they had moral obligations to find counters.

Shaving games off the best doesn't equal winning, and when the players who play top tier teams tighten up their game even more, shaving off games will turn into 3-0 blowouts.

Chindogg

It's definitely a negative when traditional control options flat out suck ass for pad players.

Classic controller worked like a charm for the most part, even though I preferred stick.

- More fun
- Better, a bit "lighter" engine that allows for more creativity
- Better visuals, art-style and aesthetic
- Better cast and cast variety
- No mechanics like Mega Crash that punish players for landing combos
- More characters, thus being more diverse playstyle-wise
- Licensed characters you listed already, but it really is one of the biggest factors

-Your opinion
-The TvC engine is actually way, way more open than the MvC3 engine. You could combo A, c.A, B, c.B, etc. Way more fluid in comboing.
-Once again, your opinion even though they're pretty much the same art style. No MvC3 stage touches the Sakura blossom stage in TvC.
-Better cast is your opinion. This is a game originally made for a Japanese audience, so the characters may be unfamiliar to you (if you're under the age of 25 since a lot of these properties came to the US in the early 80s.) I can give you more variety. There's no Arthur equivalent in TvC. There is however Doronjo, a character that has no marvel equivalency outside of maybe Captain Commando.
-Mega Crash could be baited and took 2 meters + some health to use. It almost made it into UMvC3 believe it or not (which would have been fun to see Zero and Vergil players deal with it.)
-You said this already once, so see my earlier statement.
-American audience vs Japanese audience. TvC was awesome regardless. It actually made me rediscover Yatterman which I'm really happy to have done.

TvC is much more akin to "anime fighters" honestly. If you liked GG or MB, you thought TvC was better. Marvel's great, but it doesn't touch TvC for all the really nice combos you could do with its super liberal system.

Chindogg

To add onto this, UMvC3 Ryu has all of this PLUS Denjin mode which turns him blue and makes his supers badass. Well, the Hurricane Kick one anyways.

Therefore, UMvC3 Ryu is best Ryu.

TvC Ryu had airdash and could cancel all of his normals into themselves. He had better combos than Wolverine in MvC3. Seriously he was top 5.

Busaiku

You know, people made a big fuss about Phoenix the 1st non-action game character, but wasn't Saki from a dating sim?

Chindogg

You know, people made a big fuss about Phoenix the 1st non-action game character, but wasn't Saki from a dating sim?

Actually it was a quiz game. She's pretty good in TvC and could dominate giants if played correctly.

Was having all of your normals chain into your other normals universal in TVC?

Not all of them. Some of the slower characters like Tekkaman couldn't do it. Some characters couldn't cancel standing into crouching attacks. It all varied.

gutabo

Whoa, surprised to see the TvC love! Great game, loved the baroque system, liked the combo system, disliked so much the Mega Crush. For me it's mvc2 > tvc:uas >>>>>>> mvc3.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
God TvC is ugly as hell though.

Like vomit-ugly.

I remember seeing the first screens and being completely baffled when people thought it would be a 360/PS3 game. No lie, I knew it had to be a Wii game - blocky characters, not even any facial animation, so terrible.

I don't even feel like I've missed out on not even playing the game with how much it was a turn-off to me visually when I've played every other Capcom V.S. title.

Like vomit-ugly.

I remember seeing the first screens and being completely baffled when people thought it would be a 360/PS3 game. No lie, I knew it had to be a Wii game - blocky characters, not even any facial animation, so terrible.

I don't even feel like I've missed out on not even playing the game with how much it was a turn-off to me visually when I've played every other Capcom V.S. title.

Same reason I don't play Tekken. That game looks like the animations were made in Fighter Maker.

TvC intro is so dope. Original one is much better but UAS has a funny one with the cheese rap.

And TvC Ryu is most fun Ryu because he's pretty damn ridiculous in that game. Love when Ryu kicks ass.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I just volunteered to assist with pools for Final Round XVI.

As I was filling out the form, all I could think was "I've made a huuuuge mistake."

Top Bottom