• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | January 7-13 | All Eyez on Mr. Wizard

Azure J

Even better is how the game gives you the chance to read the comic every goddam time on startup, which nobody has looked at more than once.

My personal favorite nitpick currently is how putting on fight requests in training mode cause multiple complete stops in momentum to get to the match or get back to training if you don't accept. I wish if it at least had a punching bag mode (why hello there Brawl) while the match loaded up so you could get your execution right for the match.

@Beef: Vanilla's theme sounded heavier/fuller than Ultimate's.

GB spitting that real talk. MvC3s style cohesiveness and presentation is only matched by MK9 and Persona IMO.

TvC is a jumbled mess of different lighting, levels of quality and styles. The only redeeming visual quality it has is rainbow effects.

Is Wakeup SRK always on Keits channel? I always thought it was the SRK Live channel.

I think Keits.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Underappreciated superior parts of Vanilla Marvel's UI are the meter bars and the comic-book-ized victory screen.

A couple of months ago, when I asked people what the difference was in the first place. I honestly can't tell.

Mybe if you tried again? I can see not noticing it if you've never paid attention, but I find it hard to not notice after it's been pointed out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBieW1Mbzl8 (Vanilla)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oMUEyArIyY (Ultimate)

I think it's one of the things they changed for the sake of change/Vita. They got it perfect the first time.

Seriously

I don't mind the change to the lifebars and meters because I kinda like them, but that? No. Just no.

Underappreciated superior parts of Vanilla Marvel's UI are the meter bars and the comic-book-ized victory screen.

This. While the Xfactor is more clear in the current vision, it takes a little time to understand who is next on the team. If I had a say, I would desaturate or dim the health bar when that characters assist is used and not available.

To make the intro comic more interesting, it should give you your player card info (how many hours played, maybe a picture/comic of most often used characters.) That info is already tracked in your profile, why not use it?
Yeah, I am a UI/Visual geek. Part of my job I guess.

Chavelo

Yo, so who's ready to boycott EVO if they don't announce their game tonight?

Oh wait... :p

God, the new victory screen for Ultimate was such a downgrade. Still not over it. Fucking Ryu's face.

He looks hella goofy. Like he's passing gas or something and he's giving a shit, haha.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
God, the new victory screen for Ultimate was such a downgrade. Still not over it. Fucking Ryu's face.

What? You don't think this is awesome?

S_sentinel00_bm_nomip_s_sentinel00_bm_nomipout.png

Bizazedo

I think there's maybe a couple seconds of an additional instrument in the Vanilla version, but other than that I can't detect any major differences.

Wow.

We're not talking about the overall rhythm or how you'd whistle it, but more how it literally sounds. Like playing the same drum solo on an actual drum set versus a fisher price drum set for five year olds.

(I could not come up with a good analogy).

What. MVC3 looks awesome. TvC just looks bad. Random flailing animations with like 5 frames, chunky models, irritating backgrounds and the worst special effects in a Capcom fighting game. MvC3 is really smoothly animated and the overall presentation is solid. SF4 is the one with no excuse. Those Vectorman shoulders.
I can't wait to see what can be done for fighters once next gen comes out. Games like MvC3 can afford to go with the extra detail that would have been impossible on current gen consoles thanks to RAM limitations. The MvC series is gonna scream on the upcoming hardware.
Today's FGC forecast, fine and mostly sunny with a 95% chance of a late shitstorm.

What would cause the most drama?

Sfxt being in?
P4A being out?
MK being overlooked for dive kick?
Pasbr in or Melee in over brawl?
PSASBR being in over Melee. Brawl being considered? lolz
That is like the best thing about UMvC3 besides Morrigan's soul fist.
Skullgirls community sudoku watch has already passed.
Me and Disco are weeping right now. Does that make you happy?

*runs in opposite direction*

I gave up on Skullgirls being an EVO game months ago. All I care about is seeing the developers make money off a PC version. That and Lab Zero Games working on an SNKP IP. Last Blade seems so ripe for a return on the digital front.

notworksafe

Eh, already got my hotel room so I know I'm going. I'll just compete in AE and then get drunk the rest of the weekend while begging someone to play Skullgirls with me.

Wow.

We're not talking about the overall rhythm or how you'd whistle it, but more how it literally sounds. Like playing the same drum solo on an actual drum set versus a fisher price drum set for five year olds.

(I could not come up with a good analogy).

And I'm telling you that I can't hear any differences in the themes. I JUST got done listening to them again after being asked to, and aside from what I pointed out, I can't tell them apart. How is this difficult for people to comprehend?

Chavelo

Guess I should of been a little more descriptive with my post, lol.

If FGC-GAF had their way, it would be Capcom exclusive. :)

Eh, already got my hotel room so I know I'm going. I'll just compete in AE and then get drunk the rest of the weekend while begging someone to play Skullgirls with me.

Dude, are the NM dudes getting a suite or something? It would be sick to play you guys again. :D

Bizazedo

What if they got rid of Marvel and AE to make room for every one's favorite PSABR, P4A, and some other game?

WWE 13. Tag teams, naturally. The hole left by SFxTK shall be filled. Custom characters allowed so we can see Bison versus Heihachi.

And I'm telling you that I can't hear any differences in the themes. I JUST got done listening to them again after being asked to, and aside from what I pointed out, I can't tell them apart. How is this difficult for people to comprehend?

Mainly because they sound different. Like, objectively different, not subjective. I am seriously not messing with you, you might want to go to the ear doctor.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

Those are different things. No one said "there changed it in a MAJOR way!", just that they changed. And now you figured it out, congrats.

edit- well I didn't say that, and that's all that matters.

Guess I should of been a little more descriptive with my post, lol.
Wasn't that you poking fun at SFxT? I remember some folks on SRK bitching up the bitchiest storm I've ever seen because it looked like it was down for the count. They made the BB protests look like child's play.

Those are different things. No one said "there changed it in a MAJOR way!", just that they changed. And now you figured it out, congrats.

edit- well I didn't say that, and that's all that matters.

...those few seconds in the beginning are why people like it? Seriously? That's even more ridiculous than me not being able to tell the difference. Holy shit. It's what, 5 seconds? I thought people were talking about the main tune, not the tiny instrument in the beginning.

notworksafe

Dude, are the NM dudes getting a suite or something? It would be sick to play you guys again. :D
I got a suite for me and 2-3 others but not sure what everyone else is doing. I'll be bringing a console to practice so we can play for sure.

We're also having an event here on Feb 16 if any of you guys can come. AE/UMVC3/TTT2/P4A/KOF plus TTT2 Pair Play tourney and we want to do a 5v5v5 in UMVC3 (CO/NM/TX). :) I'll post a thread on your board about it this weekend.

Bizazedo

...those few seconds in the beginning are why people like it? Seriously? That's even more ridiculous than me not being able to tell the difference. Holy shit. It's what, 5 seconds? I thought people were talking about the main tune, not the tiny instrument in the beginning.

No, it's not just the first few seconds. The original, as stated by someone else, did sound fuller in how they did it.

Like they're still the same song....just, different.

Chavelo

I got a suite for me and 2-3 others but not sure what everyone else is doing. I'll be bringing a console to practice so we can play for sure.

We're also having an event here on Feb 16 if any of you guys can come. Usual games plus TTT2 Pair Play tourney and we want to do a 5v5v5 in UMVC3 (CO/NM/TX). :)

Oh yeah, pretty sure some of us are down to go for that. Most of my family lives in Albuquerque and some of the guys (Recon, mostly) is already counting of me to let them crash over at my sister's place, haha.

No, it's not just the first few seconds. The original, as stated by someone else, did sound fuller in how they did it.

Like they're still the same song....just, different.

"Fuller?" That sounds like a word you use when you can't properly describe something.

And those 5 seconds aren't enough to make those two themes seem different.

Bizazedo

"Fuller?" That sounds like a word you use when you can't properly describe something.

Okay.

You have a marching band drum pit play a song.

You then have the same song played, note for note, but you have one drummer do it.

It's the same song with hardly any change, but there's no way it sounds the same. Hence the term "fuller".

cant we just agree spidermans theme is still shit and move on?

goddamn you minions

Never, not while my code is running!

Azure J

Richer then. Geez. :p

It's not about the beginning though, the instrumentation in general is better. Ultimate sounds like they took it and ran it through a MIDI sequencer with the main riff set to the most tinny sounding sample they could find.

And yeah, minion mode off for now, I feel bad for other FG GAF when discussions like this happen. :lol

Top Bottom