• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | January 7-13 | All Eyez on Mr. Wizard

Is Mango the best?

Right now, the consensus best is Armada, a Peach player from Sweden.

Mango is the former champ, and USA's best. He and Armada have a heated rivalry, and the showdown is greatly anticipated.

Dr. PP is right on their heels though, and has taken tournaments from both. He's also on my fantasy team so I wish him luck lol

I remember taking Japanese in high school learned how to correctly say ryu, but i still prefer the way i used to say just because it sounds better.

Anth0ny

Quick poll - which Victory theme version do you guys like the most? MvC3 Vanilla or Ultimate MvC3?
So far I have:
Vanilla:
Azure J
Bizazedo

Ultimate:
no one yet

The winning version will get... something, I'll think about it!

Vanilla shits on Ultimate. Menu music too.

sleepykyo

Used to pronounce it Rye-you in my native country where everyone mispronounced everything.

Got to the States someone corrected me and said it's "Ree-you", after which he went on an elaborate "I watch a ton of anime so I know correct Japanese pronunciations" rant.

Then someone told me it was "roo" and after that I just didn't give a fuck.

I remember seeing a compilation clip of Bison pronouncing Ryu and even he used 3 different pronunciations.

Anth0ny

8:00am Check-in + Free Play
10:00am Melee Singles Top 128 (to top 8) (on bifuteki)
10:00am Brawl Singles Top 128 (to top 8) (on clashtournaments)
10:00am Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Top 8 (on 8wayrun)
12:00pm SSF4 Arcade Edition 2012 Top 8 (on 8wayrun)
2:30pm Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 Top 8 (on 8wayrun)
5:00pm Melee Singles Top 8 (on 8wayrun)
7:00pm Brawl Singles Top 8 (on 8wayrun)
10:00pm Closing Ceremonies

O_O

Top 128 on finals day? I liked it better last year. Melee until top 32 on Friday, Brawl until top 32 on Saturday, and finals day was Sunday. All the Melee people just slept in and stayed at the hotel on Saturday lol

I finish work at 5 on Sunday. Hopefully tournament standard time kicks in and I won't miss Marvel top 8.

Anth0ny

Didn't brawl go until 3am last year?

i don't know if it was 3am but it went pretty fucking late

there was a shortage of setups because brawl kids don't bring shit to tournaments, melee players had to lend their wiis/tvs to them for the tourney to even come close to finishing on time.

pro-tip: brawl takes really really really long

Dahbomb

Vanilla version definitely.

The UI and menu music too. And that's the only few things Vanilla did better. I don't miss invincible assists, Berserper Slash, DHC glitch and Hammer time.

Top 128 on finals day? I liked it better last year. Melee until top 32 on Friday, Brawl until top 32 on Saturday, and finals day was Sunday. All the Melee people just slept in and stayed at the hotel on Saturday lol

Nah dude I'm happy to have 3 full days of Melee. Majors are the best way to improve. I'm not flying out to sit in a hotel.

there was a shortage of setups because brawl kids don't bring shit to tournaments, melee players had to lend their wiis/tvs to them for the tourney to even come close to finishing on time.

The good news is they bought ~80 more setups specifically for that purpose, so maybe it will be better.

Regardless, there are ~800 people registered and there is still at-door registration + "spectators" (aka ppl who still try and sit down, play, and use precious setups but dont want to pay to enter the tournament). Its gonna be really crowded. I'm gonna try and get there early each day, find a setup, and set up a "winner stays" rotation.

Hopefully it won't be too bad. There are usually enough people who wanna play/money-match me that I can bully my way onto a setup.

Horseress

Does WUSRK starts in 1 hour? God I hate time zones....the whole world should just have 1 time zone, fuck it, would make my stream monster life a lot easier #StreamMonsterProblems

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I always thought ER was a team like LXG. I didn't even know MH was a "sponsor," and just thought it was a team too. There's a very small amount of real sponsors in the FGC from the looks of it.

Does WUSRK starts in 1 hour? God I hate time zones....the whole world should just have 1 time zone, fuck it, would make my stream monster life a lot easier #StreamMonsterProblems
In 1 hour and 45 minutes.

gutabo

Quick poll - which Victory theme version do you guys like the most? MvC3 Vanilla or Ultimate MvC3?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBieW1Mbzl8 (Vanilla)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oMUEyArIyY (Ultimate)
So far I have:
Vanilla:
Anth0ny
Azure J
Bizazedo
Dahbomb
Seven Force
Sixfortyfive
TWILT
WesternHeretic

Ultimate:
Professor Beef

The winning version will get something for sure, I have an idea already! It's going to take some time to do tho. Also some cleaning, rewiring and maintenance.

Well they sound the same so it's not like any of the votes make a difference. :3
Vanilla version is more of a rock song you could play with your band with some synth fills thrown in. Ultimate goes nuts with heavy synths everywhere and has an entirely new (synth'ed)bass line and rave-like build-up bridge. I like both for different reasons.

1 hour 45 mins from now I think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBieW1Mbzl8 (Vanilla)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oMUEyArIyY (Ultimate)
So far I have:
Vanilla:
Anth0ny
Azure J
Bizazedo
Dahbomb
Seven Force
Sixfortyfive
TWILT
WesternHeretic

Ultimate:
Professor Beef

The winning version will get something for sure, I have an idea already! It's going to take some time to do tho. Also some cleaning, rewiring and maintenance.

Vanilla version is more of a rock song you could play with your band with some synth fills thrown in. Ultimate goes nuts with heavy synths everywhere and has an entirely new (synth'ed)bass line and rave-like build-up bridge. I like both for different reasons.

add me to vanilla

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Less than 2 hours to go before the Evo line-up is announced, so I figure I'd stick my neck out with my predictions:

SSF4AE12
UMvC3
TTT2
P4A
KOF13
MK9

- I expect 6 games, with the odds of the above 6 making the cut in order from most likely to least. SF4 and MvC3 are givens. A new Tekken is traditionally a lock during its release year, and nothing about TTT2 indicates otherwise. P4A is kind of a dark horse, but it seems to consistently pull good numbers at majors for a non-Capcom game. KOF13 and MK9 have a chance of being dropped due to low attendance, but I just don't see anything else unseating them.

- The game with the most entrants will be the "main game." I expect this to once again be SF4.

- I expect that SFxTK's inclusion in IPL actually gives Evo less of a reason to include this game in their lineup, as this gives the xTK playerbase a dedicated alternative and frees SRK from having to worry whether the 2013 patch is good enough to turn interest around or not.

- There is no hype for PSASBR and while I think it's possible that Sony could moneyhat their way into the ring, I don't expect it.

- Injustice is too much of an unknown. I know MK9 and SFxTK have snuck into the Evo line-up in the past even before they were released, but I don't expect that to happen this time.

- DOA5, VF5FS, SCV, Skullgirls, and GGAC+ are out of the running, barring the possibility of "official side tournaments" like Sega did with VF5 last year.

- Just realized as I typed this up that I didn't consider Blazblue at all, but I literally know nothing about that game's scene, its typical turn-out, or anything about its new release.

alstein

I don't think Sega will do an official side tourney at EVO since they're doing Sega Cup- though VFDC'ers will likely do something- and Fuudo will likely attend that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Less than 2 hours to go before the Evo line-up is announced, so I figure I'd stick my neck out with my predictions:

SSF4AE12
UMvC3
TTT2
P4A
KOF13
MK9

- I expect 6 games, with the odds of the above 6 making the cut in order from most likely to least. SF4 and MvC3 are givens. A new Tekken is traditionally a lock during its release year, and nothing about TTT2 indicates otherwise. P4A is kind of a dark horse, but it seems to consistently pull good numbers at majors for a non-Capcom game. KOF13 and MK9 have a chance of being dropped due to low attendance, but I just don't see anything else unseating them.

- The game with the most entrants will be the "main game." I expect this to once again be SF4.

- I expect that SFxTK's inclusion in IPL actually gives Evo less of a reason to include this game in their lineup, as this gives the xTK playerbase a dedicated alternative and frees SRK from having to worry whether the 2013 patch is good enough to turn interest around or not.

- There is no hype for PSASBR and while I think it's possible that Sony could moneyhat their way into the ring, I don't expect it.

- Injustice is too much of an unknown. I know MK9 and SFxTK have snuck into the Evo line-up in the past even before they were released, but I don't expect that to happen this time.

- DOA5, VF5FS, SCV, Skullgirls, and GGAC+ are out of the running, barring the possibility of "official side tournaments" like Sega did with VF5 last year.

- Just realized as I typed this up that I didn't consider Blazblue at all, but I literally know nothing about that game's scene, its typical turn-out, or anything about its new release.
There is absolutely zero chance BlazBlue will make it. No firm release date, and at earliest it will hit around EVO time anyways, and likely in JP. The entire game is hearsay for consoles.

I miss Cross Counter Live.
I really do too. I didn't catch it live much but it was one of the most well-produced and entertaining things in the FGC. Shame Gootecks couldn't find a way to continue monetizing it.

EDIT: TBH I don't understand why Smash/Melee fans want to be at EVO. They already have APEX, their premiere event and supporter for a longer period of time, and loyalists would still probably go there. Even if it does come to EVO I just know there will be some unwarranted uproar about conflicts of interest or some other nonsense.

Top Bottom