• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | January 7-13 | All Eyez on Mr. Wizard

cant we just agree Iron Man's theme is still shit and move on?

goddamn you minions
agreed
Okay.

You have a marching band drum pit play a song.

You then have the same song played, note for note, but you have one drummer do it.

It's the same song with hardly any change, but there's no way it sounds the same. Hence the term "fuller".
Understood.
Richer then. Geez. :p

It's not about the beginning though, the instrumentation in general is better. Ultimate sounds like they took it and ran it through a MIDI sequencer with the main riff set to the most tinny sounding sample they could find.
Now I'm questioning YOUR hearing.

Malice215

Is Wakeup SRK always on Keits channel? I always thought it was the SRK Live channel.

It's always been on his channel ever since they converted over to doing a live show from the Wednesday podcast. I don't know why they don't just make a channel specifically for WSRK, especially to make it easier for people to find the channel, but whatever. You can go to the channel now and see that it's already updated for tonight's episode.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Cap, Task and Nova's themes are S Tier, they rank up there but not quite at the top of FG themes.

Am I the only one who liked quite a few songs from the SFIV soundtrack? I think I am.

EDIT: ^ I'd quote you but that's too much work on mobile, but thanks Malice. Will change ASAP.

UMVC3's UI was a really unfortunate case of "different just for the sake of being different." Vanilla MVC3 already did everything so well aside from the x-factor indicator being a little hard to see.

Loona

SF x TK Ver. 2013 update videos part one put together by Combofiend and myself. :)

You know, as an SNK fan it was kinda painful to see you get that Capcom position after doing a fine job helping put KoF XIII in the spotlight, but I'm glad at least they're not taking issue with you using a Kyo avatar over here - I hope that sticks around in the very least until CvS2 gets released on european PSN, hopefully beyond that too.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
You know, as an SNK fan it was kinda painful to see you get that Capcom position after doing a fine job helping put KoF XIII in the spotlight, but I'm glad at least they're not taking issue with you using a Kyo avatar over here - I hope that sticks around in the very least until CvS2 gets released on european PSN, hopefully beyond that too.
True fact: No Capcom employee can play KOF on public.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Apex was a Brawl tournament first, then included both that and Melee.

Actually I almost went one year.

Also there are people that just play Brawl and stuff.

Horseress

Haha.

King is gonna be a beast. Of course I always thought he was, part of the problem is people wanted to play him like a grappler which just wasn't going to work.

He was a grappler without the grappler damage, now he's good to go, finally

Why am I discussing cross tekken here and nobody is punching me in the face? Feels weird...

He was a grappler without the grappler damage, now he's good to go, finally

Why am I discussing cross tekken here and nobody is punching me in the face? Feels weird...

Because everyone likes the idea of SFxT. We just didn't like how it turned out... so SFxT theory talk is welcomed. SFxT viewing... is not.

Horseress

Because everyone likes the idea of SFxT. We just didn't like how it turned out... so SFxT theory talk is welcomed. SFxT viewing... is not.

Yea, I agree. I really think v2013 can make this game more spectator friendly, but it will take some time until people forget all the vanilla crap

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I wish they could patch out the game being fucking ugly and gaudy. Especially that one stage with the E Honda truck and the happy hardcore.

holy shit. Julia got nerfed a shit ton. I agreed with the backdash and slightly nerfing the speed of her super but nerfing her DP (which was throwable) and her cr. LK on top of nerfing her health?

Couldn't they atleast buff her f. HP so that its an overhead? Shit looks like its an overhead.

As someone who works with the APEX staff and hosted a Road to APEX event, I'll try to answer some of your questions:

Why is Brawl the main event when the Smash community dislike Brawl? That would be like us putting SFxT as the main event at EVO.

Its not a main/side event type of deal. Brawl matches take a lot longer than other games so it is saved for last. The 128 man Melee bracket will reduce to top 8 faster than Brawl will.

Apex was a Brawl tournament first, then included both that and Melee.

The first APEX was a Brawl + Melee event. Its always been dual game.

No Project M?

Project M has a 32 man invitational tournament. It will be recorded, not streamed.

Horseress

holy shit. Julia got nerfed a shit ton. I agreed with the backdash and slightly nerfing the speed of her super but nerfing her DP (which was throwable) and her cr. LK on top of nerfing her health?

Couldn't they atleast buff her f. HP so that its an overhead? Shit looks like its an overhead.

A good amount of Julia players were just abusing her amazing range on the LK, and almost ignoring all of her's potencial. I agree with this nerf, and Capcom is sending us a message by making all DP xx switch's VERY unsafe, we need to punish a LOT more!

A good amount of Julia players were just abusing her amazing range on the LK, and almost ignoring all of her's potencial. I agree with this nerf, and Capcom is sending us a message by making all DP xx switch's VERY unsafe, we need to punish a LOT more!

They were abusing it because LK could be chained but they significantly lowered the damage off a chain so it already got a nerf. Her close range game is definitely lacking now with the changes. If would all be fine if F. HP was an overhead. Just enough to force people to stop down-backing against julia.

Horseress

They were abusing it because LK could be chained but they significantly lowered the damage off a chain so it already got a nerf. Her close range game is definitely lacking now with the changes. If would all be fine if F. HP was an overhead. Just enough to force people to stop down-backing against julia.

I can agree with that, but I don't know man, I'm trying to not judge all those changes yet, 'cause the game by itself will be A LOT different.
But I can't agree with a LK having THAT range, it's insane!

Bummer. I'm not much for competitive Smash but I know the Smash scene here is in love with that game.

Yeah, Project M is pretty awesome. 2.5 (the latest release) was a big step forward.

One of the cooler things at APEX is they have a section for independently developed projects. Project M, Super Smash Flash 2, Smash Bros Crusade, and Melee: SD Remix are all being showcased. The lead developers for each will be there so you can ask them questions (or make requests!) as you play.

Lulubop

Yeah, Project M is pretty awesome. 2.5 (the latest release) was a big step forward.

One of the cooler things at APEX is they have a section for independently developed projects. Project M, Super Smash Flash 2, Smash Bros Crusade, and Melee: SD Remix are all being showcased. The lead developers for each will be there so you can ask them questions (or make requests!) as you play.

Any Japanese Brawl players attending?

gutabo

I'm late, as always.
Mybe if you tried again? I can see not noticing it if you've never paid attention, but I find it hard to not notice after it's been pointed out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBieW1Mbzl8 (Vanilla)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oMUEyArIyY (Ultimate)

So THAT's the theme I always hear when I'm stream monstering...
Quick poll - which Victory theme version do you guys like the most? Vanilla or Ultimate?
So far I have:
Vanilla:
Azure J
Bizazedo

Ultimate:
no one yet

The winning version will get... something, I'll think about it!

I can agree with that, but I don't know man, I'm trying to not judge all those changes yet, 'cause the game by itself will be A LOT different.
But I can't agree with a LK having THAT range, it's insane!

The range was fine because she played more like a footsie character (esp after the nerf of the super/dp/health/backdash) since she lacked a good overhead. The only overhead was the lunge punch but those require setup and aren't good done raw.

I can't see how she'll be a good character without F.HP being an overhead now. Just so that she can threaten people up close.

I mean she has an overhead with the command string but those are recognizable and I don't think you get anything off of them if you hit the opponent.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Another reason to lobby for CvS3.

I'm dissapointed after watching those videos and realizing a (recent) Capcom employee can't pronounce "Ryu" properly.
Roo is the way to go.

Real talk.

The range was fine because she played more like a footsie character (esp after the nerf of the super/dp/health/backdash) since she lacked a good overhead. The only overhead was the lunge punch but those require setup and aren't good done raw.

I can't see how she'll be a good character without F.HP being an overhead now. Just so that she can threaten people up close.

I mean she has an overhead with the command string but those are recognizable and I don't think you get anything off of them if you hit the opponent.

Even worse to me all those things made her fun to play. So even if she is still decent in a changed game I wouldn't bother.

Not such a big deal because I sold it off ages ago and would never pay the DLC entry tax, but I was at least hoping to watch some fun characters if it stayed alive.

Roo is the way to go.

Real talk.

Maybe but he will always be ri-yu to me as in "I hate ri-yu". Everybody knows who you mean plus you piss off the hardcore ryu fans. It is win, win.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Maybe but he will always be ri-yu to me as in "I hate ri-yu". Everybody knows who you mean plus you piss off the hardcore ryu fans. It is win, win.
I'm usually a stickler for mispronounciations of things, but with Ree-you, Roo and Rye-you all work for me.

I personally say Ree-you, and still don't know which one is supposed to be right cause even Capcom employees pronounce it variably.

kirblar

I'm usually a stickler for mispronounciations of things, but with Ree-you, Roo and Rye-you all work for me.

I personally say Ree-you, and still don't know which one is supposed to be right cause even Capcom employees pronounce it variably.
There's only supposed to be one vowel sound. The problem is that the "Ry" sound is a weird hybrid r/d/l combo that isn't directly connected to an English consonant sound.

Dahbomb

Used to pronounce it Rye-you in my native country where everyone mispronounced everything.

Got to the States someone corrected me and said it's "Ree-you", after which he went on an elaborate "I watch a ton of anime so I know correct Japanese pronunciations" rant.

Then someone told me it was "roo" and after that I just didn't give a fuck.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'm dissapointed after watching those videos and realizing a (recent) Capcom employee can't pronounce "Ryu" properly.
Depending on how picky you are, only a small handful of non-Japanese speakers pronounce it "properly."

I took 4 years of Japanese in HS and I still don't know exactly what the "Ry" sound is supposed to sound like.
The R is that Japanese R/L thing.
The Y is a consonant.

Top Bottom