• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 21-27 | EMPty

Piccoro

image.php

That's nothing, the other day my Abel Ultra 2 passed right through my opponent's Cammy Spiral Arrow. Unbelievable!

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I wanna get into Tekken but don't know where to start... Should I just wait for Tekken 7 to come out?

I would definitely recommend getting TTT2 so you can get used to the movements and some of its mechanics. I'll be getting back to it myself soon.

BadWolf

I wanna get into Tekken but don't know where to start... Should I just wait for Tekken 7 to come out?

Personally, I'm planning to try and getting into it again with 7 but want to see how the mechanics are first. If its a long combo fest every two seconds again then I might pass.

JeTmAn81

That Smash release date is only six weeks after the 3DS version. Seems like it would make more sense to release them together.

Malice215

Anyone else feeling the post-EVO lull of wanting a break from fighting games?

It's okay to take a break from fighting games. I think people should use this time to try something new now that EVO is over, especially since there's new games coming out.

Yeah, I agreed with a lot of what was writtten by Sayah (I think) about how it's strayed from what people enjoyed about it in the first place. Frame-perfect stuff, super meters - too many "advanced" mechanics being brought into a game that really doesn't want them. The game was always about positioning, movement, dodging and whiff punishing with fun crazy weapons.

The only "advanced" mechanic that was added with SCV was just guard, which isn't that advanced when you compare it to the mechanics in other games. You're just tapping and releasing the guard button to use it.

The game today is even more about positioning, spacing, poking, and whiff punishing because attacks/combos do so much more damage than in the previous games along with other gameplay changes. The advanced mechanics that were in SC4 were removed, and the game was simplified in areas to help bring in new players which it did. This is why I don't get the comments from people who say that the game didn't need to change. I don't want to go back to the days where we had 8 people for tournaments or seeing someone new quit the game immediately after they get rolled up by a veteran player because they have no chance at competing.

alstein

That technique could really change match flows, having unblockables JI'd then eating a huge combo is just stupid.

It added nothing to the game that people wanted.

Really, the current system they have is fine (I'd only cut JI) , they just needed better characters and bigger movelists. And better character balance (Viola is beyond stupid, and APat is on the fence)

Didn't someone bring up the parallels between EMP and the foot clan from the TMNT movies before?

Are we at the stage where the NYC youth have abandoned him and he ends up in a dumpster? I guess he's going to show up again as the king of the trash dump, using stolen technology and disillusioned kids to return to his former glory.

Or maybe I just watched too many movies as a kid. Man that third turtles movie was terrible.

Didn't someone bring up the parallels between EMP and the foot clan from the TMNT movies before?

Are we at the stage where the NYC youth have abandoned him and he ends up in a dumpster? I guess he's going to show up again as the king of the trash dump, using stolen technology and disillusioned kids to return to his former glory.

Or maybe I just watched too many movies as a kid. Man that third turtles movie was terrible.

You should watch Nigga Turtles

Anyone else feeling the post-EVO lull of wanting a break from fighting games?

A bit, yeah. But I'm also trying to push myself to get ready for classes in the fall and trying to dedicate less time towards fighting games at the moment, so it's half and half. Evo kinda diminished my urge to play too, at least Marvel.

Plus I'm waiting for P4AU and Smash 4 to come out, lol.

Does Sanford have a sponsor of was that temporary just for evo?

He was still Steam Co at NLBC last wednesday

I really hope he gets to make it out to more events. I don't know anything about him, but it'd be nice to see him move to California or to some other fighting game scene. He seems so depressed and angry most of the time.

He was still Steam Co at NLBC last wednesday

I really hope he gets to make it out to more events. I don't know anything about him, but it'd be nice to see him move to California or to some other fighting game scene. He seems so depressed and angry most of the time.

Yeah, I hope he gets everything on track in his personal life.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Well, I think I listened to the last two shows with Triforce. There is no discussion that he made terrible decisions, both as a businessman and as a husband, left whatever ill-feelings that were brewing inside EMP fester too long, instead of cutting away dead weight, and he failed in getting his guys act like the professionals they're supposed to be. He owned up to some of his mistakes, yet still blames others for some of his other mistakes, true. What I see is a man, who has a vision, a dream, but he also has the tendency to go on these tangents where he loses his audience. Lots of what he says only seems to make sense to him, but he has moments where he is rather eloquent and has valid points. He also seems to be an emotional guy, which also doesn't always help. That OBS show format is just horrible, lots of trolling and senseless watching him try and re-establish connections. That presenter telling trolls, he himself allowed in the chat, that he will have (anal) sex with their moms, jeesh. What is he? a teenager?
I think the key thing here is that there is no malice in Triforce's intent. It's not always about just his communication, or losing his "audience" either. The audience is the community at large. And when he gets backed into a corner because of decisions he makes, he throws the entire community under the bus, calls them all faggots, and then expects everyone to be grateful. The way I look at it is, the means don't matter as much as the ends in these situations. I get that he's tried super hard and is partially responsible for doing a lot of good in the community, but he's not willing to acknowledge all the bad he does as well, just sort of list it as a small caveat to his greater accomplishments.

Huh? I thought it was about UNiB's lobbies two days after release?
ibjlWkbLyyCBsC.gif

Silky

Banned
Enzo your Starlord avatar is pretty damn good.

--

I'm really, really interested in UNiB, but for the life of me I can't be bothered with importing. I feel better waiting on the localization.

Smash could possibly release the day after my birthday? Jumping on the Wii-U right then and there, I suppose.

Shito

What happened with Karst?
JKSeVhY.jpg
Looking at his last posts I don't see anything that stands out...

Also, kinda burned out of fighting games as well at the moment, but it has probably more to do with DS2 (doing constraint runs on it is quite fun!) than EVO. I may buy Unibel this week, but I probably won't play it much. I'm more and more eager for P4U2, though: was intending to skip it, but all those new characters are bringing the hype back! I really hope the Margaret thing is true...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't see anything bannable in Karst's recent post history. Might be a self-imposed ban.

Someone check GameFAQs!

I don't see anything bannable in Karst's recent post history. Might be a self-imposed ban.

Someone check GameFAQs!

someone made a "why can't I customise the PS4 OS, I'm sick of all the blue" thread

Karsticles (among others) pretty much told him to shut up and play some games

Malice215

I'm really, really interested in UNiB, but for the life of me I can't be bothered with importing. I feel better waiting on the localization.

I really want the game but I also want to understand what's on the screen, so I'm waiting for the localization also.

That technique could really change match flows, having unblockables JI'd then eating a huge combo is just stupid.

It added nothing to the game that people wanted.

Really, the current system they have is fine (I'd only cut JI) , they just needed better characters and bigger movelists. And better character balance (Viola is beyond stupid, and APat is on the fence)

You're not going to see people just throw out unblockables in high level play. Plus someone can just wait for your attack to whiff and land a huge combo that way. You can also screw up the JG timing and eat the unblockable for a grip of damage.

It's not fair to single out one system mechanic instead of looking at the changes to the game as a whole, but how can you say it added nothing when the changes to the game equaled to more people playing Soulcalibur seriously than in the past.

The previous system was terrible and bloated. And bigger movelists does more to keep players away from a game than to bring them in, especially when there's already alot of things to keep track of in a 3D fighter.

Top Bottom