• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | July 29 - August 4 | Obey your thirst

xCobalt

It even says $5600 USD in the article itself. Does Eventhubs not have editors?

Also, the number of people who still cba looking up the prize distribution for Evo 2013 is out of hand.

Give them a break. It's tough to report something that has more than 140 characters.

Better to give opinions now than after it's finalized IMO. We constantly miss stuff and its always good to have some fresh perspective.

I'm curious, what do you accomplish by having a final draft of suggested changes? I understand discussing changes you would like to see but it seems pointless to finalize and revise a list of changes.

You can comment freely in the OT and post concerns/"what the fuck" stuff.

Also note that this is still a WIP and a rough draft. Even I don't agree with some of ths stuff in it especiallt the system mechanics. The character changes are more interesting though (except Raging Demon change, that's like an inside joke now).

Nah the Raging Demon change is the best change we did.

Also I can't get over how sick that FChamp vs Chris G set was. What an answer.

smurfx

get some go again
So how did everyone like their time at "Da Beech"?
kappazfy21.png
the airport lost my luggage and a dog ate my wallet.

Shito

So, of all this week-end of fuck-ups and dramas, we somehow chose to only reference Nigri's boobs, through a rather lame expression?

Bleh.
I suppose it's quite ironic, with all those "FGC deserves the reputation it gets" regarding the obvious pot-splitting...

PHOTOSHOP

"Lets go to the beech, alskdjfkasdf lkadsjfl sdafkljsdfk laskdjf"
when i look back at the VxG trailer....i didnt see anything in that trailer on stream this weekend...wished they stream the parties :(

This needs to be worked on but I wonder, what if sponsors, did their own Fight (or Fighter) of the Night bonus on the top 8, instead of just adding it to the pot that could be affected by any collusion. It actually touches upon some tournament theory, since there is an incentive to do very well. It needs to be worked on because some sponsors sponsor the tournament and their own players. Though I believe Fight of the Night bonuses in UFC are sent after the event is over and fans vote on the bonus, so sponsors and the TOs could decide on spending bonus money through there. The players that placed will still always properly be paid out like usual with the entry fees like usual.

Busaiku

Honestly, I'm fine with the series being on a hiatus now, since it actually felt like an ending.
But the latest episode of the cartoon? Imagine being on a hiatus at that.

That was the case 10 years ago, when I was following it.

Chavelo

lol wtf. My twitter account is getting blasted by my local FGC because I popped up on that Mark/pot splitting article on event hubs. D:

vanty

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I'm sure at least someone can answer it in here.

Do any of the SNK games on XBLA have something like the trials in SF4 and SF3 Online? It seems 98UM and 2002UM have some challenge mode which is maybe kind of similar, but Garou has nothing like that?

BillyBones

Neo Member
don't really understand that comment, pretty much what's sig?

"Sig" = Siglemic = mario 64 runner. To quote a comment from the European Speedrunning stream from a few weeks ago "Only Siglemic runs mario 64, everyone else briskly walks it."

Reference is to playing mario 64 on the virtual console vs. on an n64.

alstein

The Beech unleashed Markman's Wrath, so it was eventful.

I'll say this- I'm super-skeptical anything will happen, and will be until there are consequences and not just threats.

It's gotten to the point where if I know certain player matchups are in GF's, I just don't care as I know the match will be rigged and they'll sandbag to hell. I only care about the first day of most majors now for the upsets.

The only hard solution I can think of is paying top 5 20/20/20/20/20. Not enough to split, and there's no incentive to not play out to the finals, or maybe 40/30/30 for top 3.

I'll say this- I'm super-skeptical anything will happen, and will be until there are consequences and not just threats.

It's gotten to the point where if I know certain player matchups are in GF's, I just don't care as I know the match will be rigged and they'll sandbag to hell. I only care about the first day of most majors now for the upsets.

The only hard solution I can think of is paying top 5 20/20/20/20/20. Not enough to split, and there's no incentive to not play out to the finals, or maybe 40/30/30 for top 3.

The solution is to give out prizes that can't be split, like swag or trophies, or write them a check/give them a gift card instead of just handing them bills in an envelope, so it's not so easily done. In a lot of ways pot splitting is pretty necessary to any competitive community where players get most of their income from prize money, because it's advantageous to the players in the long run. All the big time sports stars I can think of rely on sponsorship and don't need to win something to pay the bills, or they just work part-time.

I don't think AGE was paying ChrisG a salary (I would be really surprised if they did anything other than cover travel/headphones), and EMP definitely isn't playing Flocker, so from their point of view "building a good image" isn't a big deal because they aren't trying to find leverage to negotiate a better salary from a sponsor or team owner. It's short-sighted, but not completely idiotic.

alstein

Yeah, I agree, the current structure encourages splits- which is part of the problem.

If you split the money evenly at top 3 or top 5, I think that destroys the incentive to split the finals at least, though it might move it down to losers semis, but at losers semis, it's much more likely you'll have an unknown or someone who isn't part of the cabal of top players present.

At an event like Evo, I might even go 20/15/15/10/10/10/10/10.

10% of an Evo pot is still a few hundred bucks. Pot Bonuses could be trips to majors fully paid. (can't split airfare)

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I'm sure at least someone can answer it in here.

Do any of the SNK games on XBLA have something like the trials in SF4 and SF3 Online? It seems 98UM and 2002UM have some challenge mode which is maybe kind of similar, but Garou has nothing like that?

98UM & 2002UM are the only ones that have Challenge Modes and beating them all unlocks everything in the game. 2002UM makes this very easy by unlocking stuff by failing.

Fatal Fury Special, Samurai Shodown 2 & Garou don't have them because FFS & SS2 are just the AES Versions & Garou is the PS2 version.

NGBC's "technical equivalent" is the Survival Mode where beating Goodman unlocks everything in the game but no actual Challenge Mode to speak of.

Pot Splitting happens not just because of money. It happens also because these guys don't want to play their real stuff and get called frauds or washed up veterans when they lose. Especially in tiny events like VxG which isn't worth much bragging rights even for the 1st place finisher.

vanty

98UM & 2002UM are the only ones that have Challenge Modes and beating them all unlocks everything in the game. 2002UM makes this very easy by unlocking stuff by failing.

Fatal Fury Special, Samurai Shodown 2 & Garou don't have them because FFS & SS2 are just the AES Versions & Garou is the PS2 version.

NGBC's "technical equivalent" is the Survival Mode where beating Goodman unlocks everything in the game but no actual Challenge Mode to speak of.
Thanks. The main reason I was asking was because I'm just new to playing these games (got a Qanba Q4 today) after watching them for years and would be using the trials/challenges as a way to help learn stuff.

I still think I'll just get Garou for now, it seems the most fun after playing some demos. I have original SF4 from a Steam sale a thousand years ago as well.

Shito

Yeah, don't know if AE players also split the prizes, but if they did I sure as hell doesn't mind.

I don't care about pot-splitting, it's their money they can do whatever they want with it, I just don't like it when they play shitty games like they did in Marvel, just because "oh hell why not!".

Top Bottom