• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 13-19 | Throwing coins

Driving in real life is nothing but a chore.

Fuck living ~3 hours away from civilization.
Sometimes it can be fun and enjoyable. Avoiding potholes, taking tight turns, hitting cats - you can make a game of it. But how could the simulation of something boring become enjoyable? I can only think this would be the case if one were a nihilist.

one_kill

1. KaneBlueRiver said that the reason why a lot of Marvel players struggle against Chris G is because when the randomness is taken out and their plan doesn't work, they don't know what to do. Their gameplan involves throwing coins at the opponent and hoping the opponent guesses wrong.

2. Injustice got into Evo by WB throwing coins at Mr. Wizard
Thanks sephi

FlyFaster

lots of talk about driving games in here. There are good sim racing games and good arcade racing games. I know because I play them all (nearly all anyway)

Let's talk about fighting games!

I think Champ and, well everyone, should drop phoenix in at least the Morrigan match. She is a hard counter to phoenix, dark or not. combo into soul steal for the kill is not a good look for phoenix players. It's also not hard to execute.

FChamp said on FGTV that he's using Phoenix at ETC and Evo. :-(

That's why everyone needs to send my post to him, so he can be enlightened.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't see the appeal of driving in a foreign city. Like, I drove in Israel IRL - who gives a fuck? If someone told me "Pay me $10, and I will let you drive in a virtual Germany", I would say: "Who gives a fuck?" And the "supercar" is all graphics. They could give you the exact same experience driving a Volkswagon Jetta (my car). It's nice to have aesthetics, but that's the whole of the game. Pretty cars driving forward and maybe slightly left or right.

This isn't a new kind of experience, it's just an elevation of a normal experience. It would be like if you said this to defend football games: "Yeah, I can go outside and play football, but I can't go outside and play as the Green Bay Packers!" That is a ridiculous argument. It's nothing like Monster Hunter, which has no relation in any way to anything you could do in this lifetime, or Bayonetta, or Marvel. It's not just an aesthetic change, it's a particular kind of experience only offerable in virtual life.

Plus, driving cars in virtual worlds is always inferior to driving a real one. If I drive a car in a game world, it is very boring. The picture moves, and I go left/right. If I get in my car, I get actual experiences of wind pressure, turbulence, almost crashing into other drivers, acceleration, etc. The lack of stimulus that the game provides in all of these areas cannot possibly cover the gimmick of driving through a fantastic virtual city in a car that is prettier than the one you own. It is much more fun to go 80-100 mph on an empty road in real life than to do anything in a racing simulator.

I don't consider "arcade" to be a genre.
I have no idea where your coming from with all of this TBH. The point is, you get some interesting tracks and scenery to drive through that you wouldn't otherwise unless your a frequent flier. It's a backdrop, and adds character to what would otherwise be bland and flavourless. The fighting game analogy I have here is, would you play a bunch of hitboxes clashing each other or do you desire more out of your experience that makes it interesting? Maybe some character models, something to grow attachment to or contextualize? And I don't know what you mean by a "supercar" is all graphics. It's a fundamental difference in performance from your old Jetta. They accelerate and decelerate at faster speeds, reach higher top speeds, are harder to wrangle and handle (especially with racing wheels), these are things you cannot replicate unless your in a very fortunate position. Racing games provide you these tools to do time attack over and over, perhaps explore real or fictional locations through the racing game framework, and more.

What's wrong with an elevation of a normal experience? I can go outside and run and jump, but can I scale gigantic buildings with a leap like I can do in Crackdown? Can I jump on goombas like I can in Mario? I can go outside and punch a guy, or spar with my buddy, why should I play Street Fighter? What happens to the lack of stimulus from the lack of adrenaline running through your blood, the physical contact and the full body movement? How reductionist do you want to go and where do you draw the line at what is new/ficticious and what is familiar? Are you choosing to be less reductionist with genres you enjoy?

Also arcade is a subgenre of handling physics. On one far end is stuff like Ridge Racer and Burnout and on the other is Forza, GT, Project Cars, etc. I understand car games are not your fancy, but I don't get how it's hard to understand the appeal they have to those that do. It's almost self-evident from the suspension of reality most seem to target and the way they clearly resonate and have resonated with gamers even since the days of NFS II and III.

I had no idea ECT was this weekend. I really wanted to go because I thought it would be sometime in June like last year but I have finals to prepare for and plans for this weekend.

KaneBlueRiver's brilliant description of brainless mixup pressure: when players "throw coins" at their opponent hoping they'll win the flip rather than thinking out a real gameplan.

If you search last week's thread, it'll be in there.

That is surprisingly accurate, actually.

xCobalt

Why not just pick Vergil? He's Dark Phoenix except he has no bad matchups and you only have to deal with one of those bullet points: snapbacks. That sounds so much better to me. Dark Phoenix is a redundant character in this metagame.

For the most part, people play certain characters because they like what their character is capable of or the character design appeals to them. I really dislike the attitude of "why pick x when y is better?" To me, it just sounds like people are lazy and want the easy way out. I suppose it's understandable if top players pick the best characters because tournament winnings are usually their main source of income. However, at lower skill levels, the better player will always win, not the player with the better character.

Karsticles, if you're playing this game looking to win, then by all means pick Vergil. If you're looking to have fun, stick with Phoenix (I'm assuming thats why you picked her in the first place).

gutabo

Tio Valle(more like a cousin to me) knows his shit!

Alex Valle said:

- Lomo saltado
- Bisteck a lo pobre
- Cebiche y Parihuela

BTW, regarding "thrown coins":
EyB5BO6.jpg

I have no idea where your coming from with all of this TBH. The point is, you get some interesting tracks and scenery to drive through that you wouldn't otherwise unless your a frequent flier. It's a backdrop, and adds character to what would otherwise be bland and flavourless. The fighting game analogy I have here is, would you play a bunch of hitboxes clashing each other or do you desire more out of your experience that makes it interesting? Maybe some character models, something to grow attachment to or contextualize?
I addressed this. I said the aesthetics are nice to have, but that can't be all. If you gave me a game with Dormammu, Shuma-Gorath, Firebrand, Wolverine, etc., and they all played like Ryu, it would be pretty lame.

And I don't know what you mean by a "supercar" is all graphics. It's a fundamental difference in performance from your old Jetta. They accelerate and decelerate at faster speeds, reach higher top speeds, are harder to wrangle and handle (especially with racing wheels), these are things you cannot replicate unless your in a very fortunate position. Racing games provide you these tools to do time attack over and over, perhaps explore real or fictional locations through the racing game framework, and more.
The experience is roughly the same, though. It's like having a Ryu with a slightly faster fireball vs. one with a slower fireball. It's still just Ryu, and they're still just cars.

What's wrong with an elevation of a normal experience? I can go outside and run and jump, but can I scale gigantic buildings with a leap like I can do in Crackdown? Can I jump on goombas like I can in Mario? I can go outside and punch a guy, or spar with my buddy, why should I play Street Fighter? What happens to the lack of stimulus from the lack of adrenaline running through your blood, the physical contact and the full body movement? How reductionist do you want to go and where do you draw the line at what is new/ficticious and what is familiar? Are you choosing to be less reductionist with genres you enjoy?
I've always called Street Fighter boring! Truly, if I were able to fight like any character in Street Fighter, I would have no interest in it at all. Unfortunately, I can't. I have a bad knee and wrist, and I wear glasses. I really hate wearing glasses.

What can I do in real life that's like Mario? Spit fireballs? Fly? Fight fire-breathing lizards? Mario games are more than jumping. Racing games are not more than driving.

I don't know what Crackdown is, but I would say this: if you are athletic and skilled enough to do freerunning, go for it. If my body were capable of those things, I would definitely do that over playing a game where I jump up buildings. Then again, I don't see the appeal in playing a game where I jump up buildings in the first place. Not unless it's Rampage, and that's more about the joy of smashing them to bits, which I don't get to do in real life (or eat people).

My standards seem consistent. Racing games suck.

Also arcade is a subgenre of handling physics. On one far end is stuff like Ridge Racer and Burnout and on the other is Forza, GT, Project Cars, etc. I understand car games are not your fancy, but I don't get how it's hard to understand the appeal they have to those that do. It's almost self-evident from the suspension of reality most seem to target and the way they clearly resonate and have resonated even since the days of NFS II and III.
I can understand playing something like F-Zero. I've never played the other games you listed. The last racing game I played was Daytona USA. It was fun. But I was also 8, and I couldn't drive yet. ;-)

I ask people this when they say they are fans of Animal Crossing.
Animal Crossing is on its own level of suck. It's even beneath Heavy Rain.

For the most part, people play certain characters because they like what their character is capable of or the character design appeals to them. I really dislike the attitude of "why pick x when y is better?" To me, it just sounds like people are lazy and want the easy way out. I suppose it's understandable if top players pick the best characters because tournament winnings are usually their main source of income. However, at lower skill levels, the better player will always win, not the player with the better character.

Karsticles, if you're playing this game looking to win, then by all means pick Vergil. If you're looking to have fun, stick with Phoenix (I'm assuming thats why you picked her in the first place).
I'm writing from a purely theoretical standpoint. I don't use Phoenix or Vergil. I dropped Phoenix a month ago, and I'm not upset about it at all. I wrote that to help people understand why she is not a good character in this metagame. I play to win and use characters I like. If you see my posts in the Marvel OT, I'm always coming up with new tech for new teams. Right now I play Firebrand/Dormammu/Shuma-Gorath. It's a very strong team. This game is not so bad that you have to tier whore to win. Vergil is free food for Firebrand.

gutabo

Also, I typed this argument for why Phoenix is not worth picking in this meta on GFAQs, and I want to share it with all of you:

The TAC trick made me drop her.

It's like this:
-Spend the whole game without using meter.
-Spend the whole game with one assist you can't call in the neutral.
-Have a character everyone wants to snap in and kill in a few hits.
-Your opponent gets a free 2 bars of meter through down TACs whenever you get hit.
-Oh yeah, and have a 1/2 chance of getting to use Dark Phoenix when you pull all this off.

It's just bull****. And that's not even considering that Dark Phoenix's 3 worst matchups are all extremely popular right now (Morrigan, Vergil, and Strider), that most people have Dark Phoenix negation tech, or that she can get randomed out easily thanks to her new lowered health. I could handle ALL of this if not for the last bullet point. That's just too much, I can't handle suffering through all of that for a 50% chance at getting to use the character I worked for.

Ri46DOT.gif

I don't see the appeal of driving in a foreign city. Like, I drove in Israel IRL - who gives a fuck? If someone told me "Pay me $10, and I will let you drive in a virtual Germany", I would say: "Who gives a fuck?" And the "supercar" is all graphics. They could give you the exact same experience driving a Volkswagon Jetta (my car). It's nice to have aesthetics, but that's the whole of the game. Pretty cars driving forward and maybe slightly left or right.

I would not want to be an L-shaped tetris block in real life and have to fit into a space with other blocks and then disappear. Therefore tetris is a bad videogame

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've always called Street Fighter boring! Truly, if I were able to fight like any character in Street Fighter, I would have no interest in it at all. Unfortunately, I can't. I have a bad knee and wrist, and I wear glasses. I really hate wearing glasses.
This is exactly the crux of what I take issue with, which is consistent throughout all of your arguments. You can't do it, even if it was possible, you can't. Thus interest and intrigue are produced. You cannot drive a supercar right now and close off entire cities to drive through; or be it race tracks; or be it fictional locations. If you could, you might not give a fuck about racing games yeah, but you can't, thus the appeal is created for something new you can't experience, functionally the same as the most fantastical game you can imagine. Here you extend the standard to all the capabilities of a fighter, but won't do the same to an automobile as they're just all cars at the end of the day, but they're just not all fighters at the end of the day for you. I don't see you accepting or understanding this perspective anytime soon so this can go anywhere, so I think this is the last I'll say on the matter.

Also yes, glasses are the worst. Contacts, probably even worse. Every time I take off my contacts at the end of a day I feel like I've had the life drained out of me instantly, but I suffer through them because I hate glasses even more. I will do everything I can to make sure my kids don't get glasses.

I would not want to be an L-shaped tetris block in real life and have to fit into a space with other blocks and then disappear. Therefore tetris is a bad videogame
You aren't a tetris block in tetris, either. You are someone who is controlling tetris blocks. If tetris blocks were real, it would be very fun to try and move them around and place them in the air while they fall through some unknown mean. This is not the same as a Mario game, where you identify with one particular individual that you play as. I agree that if tetris were a game where you controlled a single block, it would be a boring game in real life and in the game. You win.

This is exactly the crux of what I take issue with, which is consistent throughout all of your arguments. You can't do it, even if it was possible, you can't. Thus interest and intrigue are produced. You cannot drive a supercar right now and close off entire cities to drive through; or be it race tracks; or be it fictional locations. If you could, you might not give a fuck about racing games yeah, but you can't, thus the appeal is created for something new you can't experience, functionally the same as the most fantastical game you can imagine. Here you extend the standard to all the capabilities of a fighter, but won't do the same to an automobile as they're just all cars at the end of the day, but they're just not all fighters at the end of the day for you. I don't see you accepting or understanding this perspective anytime soon so this can go anywhere, so I think this is the last I'll say on the matter.

Also yes, glasses are the worst. Contacts, probably even worse. Every time I take off my contacts at the end of a day I feel like I've had the life drained out of me instantly, but I suffer through them because I hate glasses even more. I will do everything I can to make sure my kids don't get glasses.
You can just drive your own car really fast, though. The difference is so minor! I completely responded to your double-standard claim, but you are still supposing that I enacted it. This is simply not true, and you did not thoroughly read my argument if you think otherwise.

Glasses are primarily needed based on genetics, by the way. Your kids are screwed, and so are mine (wife and I both wear them). I tried contacts, but after 2 hours of trying to put them in I gave up. I have an extremely strong instinctual response to things coming near my eye. My wife has to practically pin me down and force my lids open to put drops in (yes, I cannot do it alone - it's purely instinctual). One day I hope to afford laser eye surgery.

However, I am still grateful that I have glasses. I went for a good 3 years where I NEEDED glasses but did not have them because I was in denial. I was also a very good faker and estimator. When my school did eye exams in 8th grade, all of my classmates were like "LOL Don, you're going to get glasses finally!" I didn't, though. I passed the test with perfection because I winced HARD.

When I finally got glasses, I cried. I had been without vision for so long that I thought trees were actually blobs of green, and now there was a whole world of crisp, clear vision in front of me. It was like coming alive again. So I hate glasses, but I also love them. Also, I no longer had to squint to see boobs, and that's a great feeling.

xCobalt

I'm writing from a purely theoretical standpoint. I don't use Phoenix or Vergil. I dropped Phoenix a month ago, and I'm not upset about it at all. I wrote that to help people understand why she is not a good character in this metagame. I play to win and use characters I like. If you see my posts in the Marvel OT, I'm always coming up with new tech for new teams. Right now I play Firebrand/Dormammu/Shuma-Gorath. It's a very strong team. This game is not so bad that you have to tier whore to win. Vergil is free food for Firebrand.

Ah, alright then. I just figured you were ranting since you used "I" a few times and seemed really frustrated.

Ah, alright then. I just figured you were ranting since you used "I" a few times and seemed really frustrated.
Nah. I just like to argue from personal experience. There might have been some frustration sneaking in there as I thought back to my experiences, but it's the sort of frustration you have when you look back at a bad decision you made a year ago. It's not the sort of thing you carry around, it's just something you relive when you ponder.

Nah, I rather see the salt when he ties for 256th place at EVO.
I remember back when UMvC3 had its pre-release tournament. FChamp said he was going to drop Phoenix. A lady would be lucky to have a fella as loyal as him.

Hold on let me write an essay about why I think you should not play project gotham racing
I have driven in Israel so I know what makes a good driving videogame
You are always a quality poster.

Toski

You aren't a tetris block in tetris, either. You are someone who is controlling tetris blocks. If tetris blocks were real, it would be very fun to try and move them around and place them in the air while they fall through some unknown mean. This is not the same as a Mario game, where you identify with one particular individual that you play as. I agree that if tetris were a game where you controlled a single block, it would be a boring game in real life and in the game. You win.

You can just drive your own car really fast, though. The difference is so minor! I completely responded to your double-standard claim, but you are still supposing that I enacted it. This is simply not true, and you did not thoroughly read my argument if you think otherwise.

Glasses are primarily needed based on genetics, by the way. Your kids are screwed, and so are mine (wife and I both wear them). I tried contacts, but after 2 hours of trying to put them in I gave up. I have an extremely strong instinctual response to things coming near my eye. My wife has to practically pin me down and force my lids open to put drops in (yes, I cannot do it alone - it's purely instinctual). One day I hope to afford laser eye surgery.

However, I am still grateful that I have glasses. I went for a good 3 years where I NEEDED glasses but did not have them because I was in denial. I was also a very good faker and estimator. When my school did eye exams in 8th grade, all of my classmates were like "LOL Don, you're going to get glasses finally!" I didn't, though. I passed the test with perfection because I winced HARD.

When I finally got glasses, I cried. I had been without vision for so long that I thought trees were actually blobs of green, and now there was a whole world of crisp, clear vision in front of me. It was like coming alive again. So I hate glasses, but I also love them. Also, I no longer had to squint to see boobs, and that's a great feeling.
I did not know my Ford Focus was a Dodge Viper, thank you for informing me.

Any big names going to Kuwait? Always seem to have good events over there that the time difference means I never get to see.

Any big names going to Kuwait? Always seem to have good events over there that the time difference means I never get to see.

Hopefully the White Tower guys. Last tournament I watched was when something Nox Ibuki beat a Guy in grand finals. Poongko got 4th or so in that tournament. And Aziz the Cammy prodigy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

...fuck. Well, I guess it's time to start looking for a chick without glasses then, and to start making that punnet square.

I finally got caught after needing them badly for 3-4 years when some guy nearly crashed into us on the road when I was also in Grade 8 and my dad asked me to look at what his license plate was and I couldn't tell him because I couldn't see. Could've made something up, but probably for the better, I didn't.

gutabo

I really hate wearing glasses.

Also yes, glasses are the worst. Contacts, probably even worse. Every time I take off my contacts at the end of a day I feel like I've had the life drained out of me instantly, but I suffer through them because I hate glasses even more.

Y U NO LASIK?

It's a harmless experience that at most takes half a day off your life. I will never regret mine. Waking up the next day to realize that I could clearly see my feet was a humbling experience. Later while I was taking my first shower with my new eyes I thought something was wrong because I could see something resembling a blurry line but there was nothing there. I washed my eyes many times and the blurry line was still there hanging strong and I thought "oh crap, the cornea slice is coming out! I rubbed my eyes too hard! FUUUU" and panicked.

The line was caused by something I have that I call "lazy eyelashes". Turns out I've had them my entire life and I never noticed. The wife used her eyelash curler on me for a bit(not that much lol) and the blurry line was gone.

Also the lasik it's not expensive, mine costed me USD$400, yeah that's for both eyes, gogo peruvian medicine! I had high myopia(8.00 and 7.50) and astigmatism and it's a 1 minute procedure for each eye, I won't even call it a surgery.

...fuck. Well, I guess it's time to start looking for a chick without glasses then, and to start making that punnet square.

I finally got caught after needing them badly for 3-4 years when some guy nearly crashed into us on the road when I was also in Grade 8 and my dad asked me to look at what his license plate was and I couldn't tell him because I couldn't see. Could've made something up, but probably for the better, I didn't.
There might be other causes, too. I'm just repeating what a doctor told me.

Y U NO LASIK?

It's a harmless experience that mostly takes a day off your life. I will never regret mine. Waking up the next day to realize that I could clearly see my feet was a humbling experience. Later while I was taking my first shower with my new eyes I thought something was wrong because I could see something resembling a blurry line but there was nothing there. I washed my eyes many times and the blurry line was still there hanging strong and I thought "oh crap, the cornea slice is coming out! I rubbed my eyes too hard! FUUUU" and panicked.

The line was caused by something I have that I call "lazy eyelashes". Turns out I've had them my entire life and I never noticed. The wife used her eyelash curler on me for a bit(not that much lol) and the blurry line was gone.

Also the lasik it's not expensive, mine costed me USD$400, yeah that's for both eyes, gogo peruvian medicine! I had high myopia(8.00 and 7.50) and astigmatism and it's a 1 minute procedure for each eye, I won't even call it a surgery.
Last I looked at Lasik it was like $1000 per eye, and my insurance did not cover it. I've talked about my finances enough in the past to just say that they aren't good enough to afford something like that. I'm also terrified of the surgery going poorly. Everyone I know who has gotten it done has problems later on.

Hearing your post-surgery experience makes me tear up, though. I can only imagine what an extraordinary experience that was. I have 20/200 vision, which is "legally blind". Since most folks don't know what 20/200 means, it means that what the average person sees of an object 200 feet away is what an object looks like 20 feet away from me. I can't read my own handwriting 6" from my face.

gutabo

Last I looked at Lasik it was like $1000 per eye, and my insurance did not cover it. I've talked about my finances enough in the past to just say that they aren't good enough to afford something like that. I'm also terrified of the surgery going poorly. Everyone I know who has gotten it done has problems later on.

I don't know about issues post procedure, the only thing I've noticed is that at night I can't see as much as I did before(and it's not even that much of a difference, I only realized it when the doctor told me about it), but it's a no-brainer. I could see a bit more blurriness at night, yay, go me!

About the finances tho, $1K for each eye is insane. We're talking about $2K for a 2 minute procedure? Nonsense! I can't help you there at all but have you thought about traveling somewhere else and getting the procedure there? A cousin from the states came here from florida a couple years ago and I know it was cheaper for him cause he paid for his air ticket around $500 IIRC and as you can see in a recent groupon add the procedure costs around $600 here, so maybe you can go somewhere close to where you are and you can get it done there?

Hearing your post-surgery experience makes me tear up, though. I can only imagine what an extraordinary experience that was. I have 20/200 vision, which is "legally blind". Since most folks don't know what 20/200 means, it means that what the average person sees of an object 200 feet away is what an object looks like 20 feet away from me. I can't read my own handwriting 6" from my face.
I feel you, without glasses my world ended a meter away from my eyes. My wife won't let me lie about this, afterwards for almost a month I went out everyday to have long walks with her and I just looked at the horizon and read all the street ads and billboards and talked about what I was able to see and I couldn't stop talking about it. She just laughed at first and then got bored after the second week but I couldn't believe it because I wore glasses for almost 25 years. It's not about your limited visual field and the things you can't do with glasses, it's more about the things you THINK you can't do and the risks you won't take because of that.

EDIT:
$400 per eye, $1000 per eye?? Ones I see here are $2500 per eye. They even have financing. My insurance is willing to cover 5%.

$400 BOTH EYES. Well, almost 5 years ago, now it's more like $600 both eyes. Read my suggestion above. I would do the same suggestion about teeth problems since my cousin got his fixed here for very cheap.

$400 per eye, $1000 per eye?? Ones I see here are $2500 per eye. They even have financing. My insurance is willing to cover 5%.

vocab

Fuck eyes. My vision is so inconsistent plus I suffer from off and on severe eye pain. Going outside at night hurts so fucking much. I just learned to deal with it because the eye doctors said there's nothing wrong with my eyes. Whatever.

Also, fuck Fchamp if he picks Phoenix.

Edgeward

I can't wear contacts, my eyes will not open and will spazs out and flutter crazily. I can't even do the air puff test because my eyes will do the same thing.

I don't know about issues post procedure, the only thing I've noticed is that at night I can't see as much as I did before(and it's not even that much of a difference, I only realized it when the doctor told me about it), but it's a no-brainer. I could see a bit more blurriness at night, yay, go me!

About the finances tho, $1K for each eye is insane. We're talking about $2K for a 2 minute procedure? Nonsense! I can't help you there at all but have you thought about traveling somewhere else and getting the procedure there? A cousin from the states came here from florida a couple years ago and I know it was cheaper for him cause he paid for his air ticket around $500 IIRC and as you can see in a recent groupon add the procedure costs around $600, so maybe you can go somewhere close to where you are and you can get it done there?

My wife won't let me lie about this, afterwards for almost a month I went out everyday to have long walks with her and I just looked at the horizon and read all the street ads and billboards and talked about what I was able to see and I couldn't stop talking about it. She just laughed at first and then got bored after the second week but I couldn't believe it because I wore glasses for almost 25 years. It's not about your limited visual field and the things you can't do with glasses, it's more about the things you THINK you can't do and the risks you won't take because of that.
Yeah, I live in South Chicago, and my big worry in getting mugged isn't being able to defend myself, but what I would do if I got my glasses knocked off my face. I used to play a lot of sports growing up. I was in soccer, basketball, and football, and I liked playing 2/3 of those (soccer = snooze). When I got glasses, I played basketball maybe three times. Every time my glasses would get knocked off when people got rough, and I would freak out about someone stepping on them. I would have to call "time out" every time. Looking back on it gives me a sick feeling, because while glasses gave me vision, they also crippled any enjoyment I got out of physical activity. I even hate running because I eventually sweat onto the glasses and obscure my own vision.

Lasik is a dream of mine I would like to work toward. I will probably have to wait for a family member to die to afford it, though.

It can be $1600-2000 or more, I was just giving $1000 from memory. My insurance was willing to cover 0%. :p

Fuck eyes. My vision is so inconsistent plus I suffer from off and on severe eye pain. Going outside at night hurts so fucking much. I just learned to deal with it because the eye doctors said there's nothing wrong with my eyes. Whatever.

Also, fuck Fchamp if he picks Phoenix.
It hurts to go out at night? Street lights, or does it hurt when you turn the lights off in your room, too?

gutabo

It can be $1600-2000 or more, I was just giving $1000 from memory. My insurance was willing to cover 0%. :p

WTF?????

Guys, come to peru, get your shit done here, I'll house you for free and you'll get to eat some godlike food. You contact the medic, clinic or whatever, I don't want you to even think I'm getting a cut out of it. But seriously, IT'S A ONE FUCKING MINUTE PROCEDURE FOR EACH EYE. YOU CAN WALK OUT OF IT. $2K PER EYE???????

Its the street lights and car lights. It's like they are intensified to the 9th degree for some reason.
That sucks. How are you in grocery stores (zombie lights) and other well-lit areas?

WTF?????

Guys, come to peru, get your shit done here, I'll house you for free and you'll get to eat some godlike food. You contact the medic, clinic or whatever, I don't want you to even think I'm getting a cut out of it. But seriously, IT'S A ONE FUCKING MINUTE PROCEDURE FOR EACH EYE. YOU CAN WALK OUT OF IT. $2K PER EYE???????
USA health care costs are out of this world. If I ever get the money for a procedure, maybe I'll take you up on your offer. If you want real crazy, it costs $12,000+ in medical costs to have a baby in the USA.

Not good. The all white stores with 600 panels of florescent light can burn to the ground.
Do shades help?

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";57534864]I don't want to go to Peru. The last person I knew who went there died in a plane crash on the way.[/QUOTE]
If he died on the way, what does that have to do with Peru? I've always like Peru because it looks like a shoe, and it rhymes with shoe. Sounds good for a visit to me.

gutabo

USA health care costs are out of this world. If I ever get the money for a procedure, maybe I'll take you up on your offer. If you want real crazy, it costs $12,000+ in medical costs to have a baby in the USA.
WHAT. THE. FUCK.

My wife's insurance took care of 100% of the baby costs(well we had to pay $35 for random expenses). She pays like $50/month for said insurance. She was 5 days at the hospital in a room al for herself and I stayed with her the whole time, they even gave me a bed(more like a couch-that-turns-into-a-bed) . Well, the "bed" they gave me was pretty bad and I didn't even used it that much because of the "you have to feed the baby every 2 hours" rule... sure, just let me know, I'm not kidding at all, my wife just gave me the thumbs up, you can even come for a weekend only for the procedure or you can stay a bit longer if you want and maybe... we can... even... PLAY SOME VIDYAGAAAAMMMEEEESSS!!!(gasp!). Or you can do some tours, go to machu picchu, I don't know, it's your call!

Fighting games are saved.

The snes game was so bad... the sprites were SMALL, controls were horrible, I always compared it to snes rise of the robots.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

My wife's insurance took care of 100% of the baby costs(well we had to pay $35 for random expenses). She pays like $50/month for said insurance. She was 5 days at the hospital in a room al for herself and I stayed with her the whole time, they even gave me a bed(more like a couch-that-turns-into-a-bed) . Well, the "bed" they gave me was pretty bad and I didn't even used it that much because of the "you have to feed the baby every 2 hours" rule... sure, just let me know, I'm not kidding at all, my wife just gave me the thumbs up, you can even come for a weekend only for the procedure or you can stay a bit longer if you want and maybe... we can... even... PLAY SOME VIDYAGAAAAMMMEEEESSS!!!(gasp!). Or you can do some tours, go to machu picchu, I don't know, it's your call!
Keep in mind that a trip to Peru would be something that might happen years from now, if ever. I think I've filled this thread with enough personal misery stories, but my finances are not in great shape right now. I really do appreciate the offer though, and I take it seriously. I would definitely stick around for some gaming time and exploration.

Get ready to have your mind blown:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_insurance_costs_in_the_United_States

Kaiser’s 2009 survey found that employer health insurance premiums were $13,375 for a family and $4824 for a single person.

This is pretty accurate in my experience. My wife's mother pays ~$1000/month for her health insurance. This insurance would probably not cover Lasik either, haha. :-(

Top Bottom