• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 1-7 | Opponent-Based Action Games Weekly

That's awesome news

hmm, then the retail build demo is just a demo, without the final roster? I mean, if it was complete we would know the final roster already

duck-hunt-dog-o.gif

it HAS to be there
Yes to all.

bowser jr plays kinda like tron.
Actually - and Enzo will love this - Bowser Jr. supposedly has 7 alts, one for each Koopa Kid.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Weren't we supposed to know the full roster in a CoroCoro or something last month?

If the ZSS alt is any indication, alts may primarily be a labor of love done by dedicated artists. Sakurai always has aot more that he wants to do than what comes through. I think DLC is inevitable for this game, and we might get some of those recolorings moved to alts.
I don't think that's a good reason to oversee something so basic to accessibility of this title. Certainly something like that should be prioritized before you start commissioning entirely new costumes and then outfitting and recoloring those.

.la1n

Koopa Kid alts? I'm sold. I generally hate Bowser Jr. as a character, always found him pointless when we already had the superior Koopa Kids years earlier.

Infinite

light weight pressed about Bowser Jr being in the Koopa cart. Would have prefered him with the bandanna and paintbrush from Mario Sunshine

Weren't we supposed to know the full roster in a CoroCoro or something last month?

I can't imagine that would have ever been the case. Haven't all the previous Smash games had hidden stuff until launch day?

Koopa Kid alts? I'm sold. I generally hate Bowser Jr. as a character, always found him pointless when we already had the superior Koopa Kids years earlier.

Bowser Jr sucks because he's an inferior version of Baby Bowser from SMW2

Crocodile

I don't think that's a good reason to oversee something so basic to accessibility of this title. Certainly something like that should be prioritized before you start commissioning entirely new costumes and then outfitting and recoloring those.

A) Nah that was just the roster that had been officially reveal to that point, they had clarified what they meant on their website like the day after that announcement but the internet had already gone with the "full roster" narrative.

B) Are you trying to say that all characters should have the exact number of alts/colors and effort put into them? I agree that it's weird that they don't but all I can muster is a *shrug*. It's awkward but I'd hardly call it bad or something to get worked up over (not saying you are necessarily). As Karticles said, it likely has a lot to do with the individual initiative of particular programmers/modelers. I'm more surprised that ANY of the actual alts are free and not paid DLC to be frank.

light weight pressed about Bowser Jr being in the Koopa cart. Would have prefered him with the bandanna and paintbrush from Mario Sunshine

He still uses the paintbrush in some of his attacks

kirblar

You'd think they'd just use Tails/Knuckles/Amy for Sonic alts, but I guess there's an offchance of a Smash 4/5/6 DLC pack for those guys or something.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
B) Are you trying to say that all characters should have the exact number of alts/colors and effort put into them? I agree that it's weird that they don't but all I can muster is a *shrug*. It's awkward but I'd hardly call it bad or something to get worked up over (not saying you are necessarily). As Karticles said, it likely has a lot to do with the individual initiative of particular programmers/modelers. I'm more surprised that ANY of the actual alts are free and not paid DLC to be frank.
Not saying exact number of effort, because they can go over where source material (and resources) allow, but there should be some baseline where you don't end up getting Sonic's bracelets or "different shades of blue." These are gameplay basics, and the prerogatives of individual artist shouldn't compromise that. I'm not even talking alts here, I'm talking about just having colours that are different enough to distinguish characters in gameplay.

I don't see a good reason why they can create or import Koopa Kid's models but not give Pac-Man ghost colours or change Sonic's fur to the myriad of other hedgehogs and/or characters. Same goes with limited Lucario choices but a ton for Charizard, etc. Inconsistency even within first party properties.

is there anyone in the world who thinks that bowser jr is actually a good character?

his introduction signaled the decline of the unwavering love i had for the mario universe.

his addition to smash would only serve as a detriment to the cast

Not saying exact number of effort, because they can go over where source material (and resources) allow, but there should be some baseline where you don't end up getting Sonic's bracelets or "different shades of blue." These are gameplay basics, and the prerogatives of individual artist's shouldn't compromise that. I'm not even talking alts here, I'm talking about just having colours that are different enough to distinguish characters in gameplay.

I don't see a good reason why they can create or import Koopa Kid's models but not give Pac-Man ghost colours or change Sonic's fur to the myriad of other hedgehogs and/or characters. Same goes with limited Lucario choices but a ton for Charizard, etc. Inconsistency even between first party properties.

I remember being disappointed the first time I picked Sonic in Brawl. I'm ready for a gold (Tails), red (Knuckles), black (Shadow) and whatever else they can think of. Nah, we gots blue, light blue, dark blue, blue-green and some other nonsense.

Crocodile

Not saying exact number of effort, because they can go over where source material (and resources) allow, but there should be some baseline where you don't end up getting Sonic's bracelets or "different shades of blue." These are gameplay basics, and the prerogatives of individual artist shouldn't compromise that. I'm not even talking alts here, I'm talking about just having colours that are different enough to distinguish characters in gameplay.

I don't see a good reason why they can create or import Koopa Kid's models but not give Pac-Man ghost colours or change Sonic's fur to the myriad of other hedgehogs and/or characters. Same goes with limited Lucario choices but a ton for Charizard, etc. Inconsistency even within first party properties.

I mean it depends where you set the baseline no? If you set it low than you have a lot of characters matching it but a few that far exceed it but if you set it high then you've got a lot of characters who fall below the line. Overall I agree with you but I think I'm more appreciative of the few instances in which they went above and beyond (and we are getting it for free) than bummed out with the characters that got "low-balled".

I also wouldn't be surprised if there were serious restrictions on what they could get away with regarding 3rd party characters and Sakurai has gone on record as saying the Pokemon Company can be strict with how the Pokemon are represented.

is there anyone in the world who thinks that bowser jr is actually a good character?

his introduction signaled the decline of the unwavering love i had for the mario universe.

I'm still waiting on Travis Touchdown.

.la1n

Miyamoto apparently since I can only assume he was the one that decided we needed a Bowser Jr vs just using the already established (by him no less) Koopa kids in SMB 3. One of those things just really irks me but it's the last I'll speak on it. Don't want to derail.

Kumubou

Effort put into distinguishable character models via costume/colour. The whole purpose of having alt colours is to have people be quickly distinguishable when there are multiple characters on the screen, yet he's fine with throwing small trinkets on character models or using different shades of the same colour even with characters that have a a rich history to pull from (Pac-Man, Sonic).
I suspect that certain characters (basically the licensed characters Nintendo doesn't have completely control over), part of the arrangement is that they are probably limited in how they can alter the look of those characters. I'm going to guess that the Pokemon in the game have a similar issue, since I doubt The Pokemon Company would be thrilled with having a green Pikachu running around.

It's the same issue Capcom ran into with creating alt. colors in MvC3 -- Marvel had to sign off on all of them for the Marvel characters.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I have a constant cycle of dumb when it comes to my mouth pain right now since I hate meds in general.

"Oh I don't feel any pain I don't need to take them anymore yay! "

*20 minutes later*

"OH MY FUCKING GOD WHY?"

Edit: I got my Wii U now as well. Add me if you want guys :) QisTopTier

kirblar

I have a constant cycle of dumb when it comes to my mouth pain right now since I hate meds in general.

*20 minutes later*

"OH MY FUCKING GOD WHY?"
Yeah, that's pretty much mouth pain in a nutshell.

Beats

Q, not sure if you saw it already, but there was some gameplay related Pikachu info that was added to that Smash4 google doc. Can't seem to copy/paste it here though.

Azure J

*20 minutes later*

"OH MY FUCKING GOD WHY?"

Add me when ya can. It's AzureJay89

*20 minutes later*

"OH MY FUCKING GOD WHY?"

Damn it Q, if you don't feel anything it's because it's working and you're supposed to keep taking your meds if you want it to stay that way >:T

Anyways, I just added your NNID, mine is pretty much the same id I use everywhere else.

Add me when ya can. It's AzureJay89

And you too

Kumubou

Sent a friend invite, my NNID is the same as my forum name on NeoGAF (Kumubou). I also sent invites to Rhapsody, Azure J and SolarKnight.

I also found out that the Wii U tablet's range is super short -- I thought the whole point of this was to be able to continue playing while on the toilet. No wonder Nintendo is getting smoked by mobile devices.
:p

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I like it because I can lay in bed the day I get my teeth pulled and rest up :) Since I have a hard time sleeping and I dont like the idea of sleeping with gauze in my mouth xD

I forgot it didn't have a lan pug in by default *wtf nintendo* So I picked one up cheap online. I'll give some faith towards Smash Online not being total shit but what sakurai said about please buy the lan attachment if you are going to play online is pretty true. Wireless sucks on anything.

I like it because I can lay in bed the day I get my teeth pulled and rest up :) Since I have a hard time sleeping and I dont like the idea of sleeping with gauze in my mouth xD

I forgot it didn't have a lan pug in by default *wtf nintendo* So I picked one up cheap online. I'll give some faith towards Smash Online not being total shit but what sakurai said about please buy the lan attachment if you are going to play online is pretty true. Wireless sucks on anything.

it's not gonna matter when everyone else is still wireless

embrace the lag, taste the salt

I got one ages ago for TvC but I can't find it anymore :|

Kumubou

Am I wrong in expecting (or at least hoping) for SSB4 to have decent netcode? Namco's handling most of the development, and most of their recent games (SC5, TTT2/TRevo, Gundam EXVS(FB)) have been alright online -- a hell of a lot better than Brawl was, anyway. The Tekken games seemed to handle wireless connections about as well as you reasonably can, as well.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm not sure how much I'll even play Smash 4 online. Brawl online was a disaster.

I am curious on how Bayonetta 2's online co-op will be though. Hopefully it's decent.

Edit: Yeah, I guess there's a chance with Namco helping out. I'm keeping expectations low though :/

I'm not sure how much I'll even play Smash 4 online. Brawl online was a disaster.

I am curious on how Bayonetta 2's online co-op will be though. Hopefully it's decent.

Edit: Yeah, I guess there's a chance with Namco helping out. I'm keeping expectations low though :/

Kid Icarus Uprising online was actually decent/good, so that + Namco helping out gives me faith.

Sayah

SSB4 game servers are going to explode on release date. I have faith Namco will make the netcode brilliant. They're not helping out. They're pretty much making the whole game. I think Sakurai is the only Nintendo employee involved in this. And if it wasn't for his persistent design philosophies, the game would have even better gameplay and a proper ranking system with leaderboards. But think of the kids and the broken hearts of casuals when they find out they're #235483 on the leaderboard list.

And it seems like Nintendo must have been pleased with the outcome of Smash development for them to readily hand over another project (i.e. Pokken).

Mr. X

Oooh, Akutagawa is there. He's that Dudley I played at the Taito Station. He's SICK. Has the combos but his play is so damn clean and sharp. He made Nemo hate Dudley and impressed Tokido a whole lot by bopping him in 3/5 round matches, lol.

Youtube has nothing for this guy except vids from 3 years ago.

*20 minutes later*

"OH MY FUCKING GOD WHY?"

My NNID is Karsticles. Add me up.

Send me a link to the LAN adapter you bought? I plan on purchasing one as well.

SSB4 game servers are going to explode on release date. I have faith Namco will make the netcode brilliant. They're not helping out. They're pretty much making the whole game. I think Sakurai is the only Nintendo employee involved in this. And if it wasn't for his persistent design philosophies, the game would have even better gameplay and a proper ranking system with leaderboards. But think of the kids and the broken hearts of casuals when they find out they're #235483 on the leaderboard list.

And it seems like Nintendo must have been pleased with the outcome of Smash development for them to readily hand over another project (i.e. Pokken).
I only have confidence due to Namco as well.

Astarte

*20 minutes later*

"OH MY FUCKING GOD WHY?"

I was too doped on meds to study for anything so I bombed every test
Totally worth it
My NNID is...uh.....Zamien (I think?) I'll add people later tho :V

I'm hoping against hope that Bayonetta 2 online will be rad as hell. I mean, playable Rodin? C'mon.

Shouta

Youtube has nothing for this guy except vids from 3 years ago.

Yeah, apparently not much info on him. Tokido was so impressed he went and got his number for Topanga, lol. He's really good though, easily the best dudley that doesn't go for the hardest of reads.

Also, i got Top 8 at my area's first monthly for P4U2. I should've done better but I kept dropping shit, doing dumb stuff, and all that shit, lol. Still need to practice more in the game.

Top Bottom