• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 1-7 | Opponent-Based Action Games Weekly

Rhapsody

Banned
So Beef, how are you feeling about those Marth nerfs all being confirmed fake on top of confirmation from the real source saying that Marth is better than his Brawl self with a somewhat shorter sword?

They're fake? That makes me relieved. Regardless, I wanted to still play him.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
why are games with only 4 attack buttons (lp, hp, lk, hk) always the ones with the more elaborate schemes

lp,lk,hp,hk is SNK

Modern games are mostly L,M,H, + gimmick button nowadays

and the reason I guess is that it's so much more intuitive on a base level. Easy combos based on order of button strength and a press this to do cool shit button

lp,lk,hp,hk is SNK

Modern games are mostly L,M,H, + gimmick button nowadays

and the reason I guess is that it's so much more intuitive on a base level. Easy combos based on order of button strength and a press this to do cool shit button

It also fits your hand perfectly.

Index Middle Ring
Thumb

No moving fingers, only pressing. The ideal fighting game button layout.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

Index Middle Ring
Thumb

This is why I played P4A with the SNK setup
BCD
A

Soul Calibur uses the same control scheme, it's the best one

oneida

I'm about to watch Injustice top 8 (evo'14)
Anything I should pay attention to/ look forward to?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This is why I played P4A with the SNK setup
BCD
A

Soul Calibur uses the same control scheme, it's the best one
BB and GG do as well, bb even ask if you want the D button first or last which is good because some characters press it a lot more than others

So Beef, how are you feeling about those Marth nerfs all being confirmed fake on top of confirmation from the real source saying that Marth is better than his Brawl self with a somewhat shorter sword?

Fake Marth nerfs wat
What did I miss

Index Middle Ring
Thumb

Yeah, although I don't think I ever use my thumb anyways. I'd be using that layout for KoFXIII too if it wasn't because of its arcade layout having A in the thumb position and me really disliking having A on that :|

ABC
D

is the only comfortable one for me :T

Rhapsody

Banned
I actually learned KoF XIII on both layouts one day for fun. Doing Kula's kara into LP (or whatever it's called) is so much easier on SNK layout.

It's a little weird, but I like box layout only for KoF XIII. While I don't mind either or for previous ones.

Azure J

Fake Marth nerfs wat
What did I miss

Yesterday, someone was feeding false information to D1 via twitch chat. Among this information was comments about how everything from his crouching tilt, to his forward smash reach to the tipper's actual knock back and damage was nerfed heavily. Zipso, the first person who was attending the demo and supplying Smashboards with info refuted a number of this person's claims with picture/video proof when possible and went on to state that while he himself felt awkward playing Marth due to 3DS, the character feels better than he did in Brawl, despite the "no double fair from short hops" and potentially tighter/shorter range for tippers on his sword.

El Sloth

Banned
Only if he comes with a Muttley assist or taunt with Muttley laughing.
What kind of dollar store developer would make Snidely Whiplash a fighting game character without a Muttley taunt?!

That dog was such an asshole. Duck Hunt dog doesn't have shit on him

Mumei

Mumei senpai noticed me!

<3~

I haven't seen you here before Mumei!

Hey Mumei didn't realize you ever made it over to our corner of gaming.

I used to read the threads fairly regularly because I like watching the streams. I don't actually play the games (aside from Melee years ago), so there's no reason to post. I don't know why I stopped watching.

Is there one going on now?

Fixed for ya ;)
2Q4N9zC.png

What's wrong with Doom's colors?
They're different shades of green, a hideous orange, and slightly different shades of dark. At least Vanilla had blue.
ibxsM8AmDIw2yA.gif

Hey Mumei didn't realize you ever made it over to our corner of gaming.
Me and Mumei talk about the FGC all the time!

oneida

bout 45 min into evo Injustice top 8.

Are there supers in this game? I can see that there's meter- are the supers just not as useful as EX moves or something?

How does clash work?

Horseress

Are there supers in this game? I can see that there's meter- are the supers just not as useful as EX moves or something?

How does clash work?

A super costs all four bars. That's why people don't use it that much.

You can only clash on your second life-bar while being combo'ed. Then you bet bars. If you broke the combo and won the clash (you bet more bars than your opponent), you gain life. If you broke the combo and lost the clash, you take damage

How does clash work?

Supers just aren't as useful. If you want armor there's more effient uses of meter like using MB b+3.

kirblar

How does clash work?
iirc, Supers are like SF4, rarely used because you're normally EX-ing everything.

Clash is a burst you can only use on your second lifebar. You spend meter inside. If you tie, its just a reset. If you initiated and you spend more meter, you gain health. If you initiated the clash and you spent less meter, you lose it.

This game really is so much more watchable now than it was for the first part of its existence, can't wait for MKX.

How does clash work?

Having meter is more useful for most characters. Personally I find myself gaining meter by the truckload with Grundy, and sometimes I'll save it for his super if it'll end the round. Most Supers also don't do much damage (35-ish% on average?), and combos with 1-2 bars will do just as much, if not more.

You can only Clash when you're on your 2nd health bar. You wager part of your meter, and if you win, you gain health back/deal damage proportionate to how much you put in vs. your opponent put in.

oneida

Thanks for the clarification.

I like that the timer doesn't reset between rounds. KI does that too. it's kinda interesting that the timer generally only becomes a factor at the end of a match, rather than several times per match.

The presentation is still off-putting, and the rushdown characters seem a little... floppy? I can't quite describe it. Watching zoning characters and grapplers was a lot more exciting than watching Hawkgirl

I should just play this game sometime, idk why I've been putting it off for so long.

/edit/
also restart match is so clumsy, but I'm guessing people do that because the end-of-match cinematics are kinda long? I'm also still mad about button checks

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I wish killer frost never got nerved in injustice her resets and stuff we're fun. It was dumb of them to rob her of most of the things that let her be competitive then turn around and give that stuff to others. Though this is me talking from my experience from a 1 to 3 months from launch so things could be different now. But that's one of the reasons I stopped playing :(

I wish killer frost never got nerved in injustice her resets and stuff we're fun. It was dumb of them to rob her of most of the things that let her be competitive then turn around and give that stuff to others. Though this is me talking from my experience from a 1 to 3 months from launch so things could be different now. But that's one of the reasons I stopped playing :(

Nah she was dumb. Trait cancel was broke, she touched you and you had to guess for your life. She was too linear and boring to fight against. I wish she had gotten buffs to make her more well rounded of a design. She is probably still upper mid tier anyway. I do wish Batgirl list her vortex too though.

oneida

Not sure what the consensus is on Injustice interactables but I like that they seem to create additional "corners" - that is, instances where positioning enters the dynamic. Rather than just "am I mid-screen, how close am I to the corner". Warms my 3D heart

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I think interactables are ok. They make the stages matter more than just "this one doesn't lag". Though I think transitions are sort of pointless.

Top Bottom