• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Sept 8-14 | Fining Nemo

Kimosabae

Banned
Guys, let's not pretend like a perception/promise of depth doesn't provide joy for a fighting game enthusiast. You can't dive into a rain puddle.

Dahbomb

Me after yesterday's MM:

giphy.gif

Edge of my seat, clenched fists, knees weak, heart in my throat with no time to breathe. Only after Phoenix got the final hit on Strange did I let out a big exhale.

Match was better and closer than I expected. The final timeout was key in breaking Nemo's momentum who up until that point survived 2 set points.

The nerves were too real in that match. Both Nemo and FChamp were dropping stuff they can do in their sleep. Imagine if instead of 6K that was 60K or 600K or 6 million.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nintendo Treehouse added to OP and I updated one of Mr. X's questions (favourite fighting game character) so check it out.

Shouta

I forgot to put this disclaimer yesterday because I was tired but Nemo's "retirement" is a "marvel retirement" i.e. he really isn' isn't going to be playing all that much of it in Japan but may when he comes over to the US or has a specific match. I forgot to mention that yesterday. Both he and Abegen enjoy the game but have a hard time getting practice in, especially with so many other games to have fun with.

I forgot to put this disclaimer yesterday because I was tired but Nemo's "retirement" is a "marvel retirement" i.e. he really isn' isn't going to be playing all that much of it in Japan but may when he comes over to the US or has a specific match. I forgot to mention that yesterday. Both he and Abegen enjoy the game but have a hard time getting practice in, especially with so many other games to have fun with.

so it's not that he's dropping MAHVEL per se, just Japanese MAHVEL, which is understandable.

I think that part was obvious, but thanks for clarifying anyways.

Dahbomb

Rainbow edition is fun for a few hours then it's just really stupid and annoying.

There's more to fun in fighting games than just "oh look at this cool shit I can do".

Rainbow Edition is fun, but does that make it a good fighting game? Just to be clear, I'm not saying it is or isn't. I'm just curious on what you all think.

well depends. does the objective beat the subjective?

I think something can be objectively bad, but if people enjoy it is it a bad game?

i consider the MK games bad from a technical point of view but lots of people enjoy them so ...

Nyoro SF

Rainbow Edition is fun, but does that make it a good fighting game? Just to be clear, I'm not saying it is or isn't. I'm just curious on what you all think.

I made a thread asking that ages ago and it got very heated. Having fun in a game doesn't make it a good game. But at least you had fun playing it.

However people really should not use fun to override poor qualities of a game in threads, it's very distracting and causes flame wars. It's very annoying to read a good breakdown of a game's faults and then some blowhard comes in and says BUT I HAD FUN SO YOUR FACTS DON'T MATTER...

Azure J

Figured I'd give ya'll an Art of Fighting update if that's okay. Today I'll show off some of the badass art submissions we got. All of these are pieces are originals for our show and it's just a fraction of what we have as well. Most artists sent prints too so there will be cheaper ways to acquire much art!

All art that we have at the show will of course be purchasable and the proceeds will go 100% to our charities (March of Dimes & Save Babies Through Screening). So if you're nearby New Mexico come by Sept 26-28. For those that can't make it to the show, we're gonna try and get a camera on this stuff to show it off on stream.

Jeffrey Cruz

Andy Fairhurst

Sara Richard

Sara Talmadge

Tommaso Renieri

Rael Lyra

If I weren't in the middle of a phase with Takamaru here, I'd probably steal that Baiken for a new avatar.

#Put_samurais_in_the_fighing_games_im_interested_ in_buying_Japanese_developers

When's the next major?

Next European major is Lockdown 2014 this weekend, although admittedly as the Portuguese national tournament it's not too big. ;) I'll be there though.

After that in Europe you have Dreamhack Stockholm (end of the month), the Dutch national Red Fight District (the last "major" of the year in Europe), Play Expo, and then the big one of Dreamhack Winter.

(I'm going to be at Dreamhack Winter again this year, and, no, I don't intend on being an idiot this time)

This is kind of a dead zone in the US calendar...

kirblar

It's because it's back-to-school for a lot of people. Not good to schedule right now for players in school, or TOs w/ kids.

You say that, but Europe manages to host quite a lot of tournaments this late in the year. That's mostly due to RFD and, now I guess, two Dreamhacks falling between September and December.

The US has a vastly stronger winter than Europe though - there's absolutely nothing announced for next year yet in Europe!

I totally forgot Teesports: King of the Monsters on that list. One of the highlights of the off-season calendar in the UK. :)

kirblar

You say that, but Europe manages to host quite a lot of tournaments this late in the year. That's mostly due to RFD and, now I guess, two Dreamhacks falling between September and December.

The US has a vastly stronger winter than Europe though - there's absolutely nothing announced for next year yet in Europe!

I totally forgot Teesports: King of the Monsters on that list. One of the highlights of the off-season calendar in the UK. :)
Longer-distance travel in Europe is a lot easier than it is in the States.

If it's fun and rewards smart play then yeah it's a good fighting game. It'd seem to me that's the only real requirement.

Longer-distance travel in Europe is a lot easier than it is in the States.

This is true - I've heard the rail network in the States leaves something to be desired.

How much is it to fly cross-country in the states? It usually costs me £150-250 to travel to and from a major in western Europe.

Uraizen

Banned

I don't really find it fun, but what's good can be subjective. I think the new KI is good, but there was someone here who swore up and down that it was shit. Can't remember who it was, but whatever.

To make an even better example, some people think 3s sucks and others think it's good. I personally think it's one of the best games other, but I've seen others who think it's absolute garbage. So yeah, it comes back to whether or not you're having fun with it, I guess.

If we're going to go into that direction, we could also go into games we consider a guilty pleasure. We know they're bad, but think they're fun anyway. So... fuck if I know. I just like what I like or get that occasional bitch of an itch to play kusoge.

Top Bottom