• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Tournament Weekend: ECT, First Attack, Ze Fighting Game, Celtic Throwdown

NeOak

Signing out from FA. I was too far away to be noticeable in the stream, so I was the only guy in the back when they showed the crowd lol.

This has been a most eventful day for SF5 drama, lol.

Daigo loses to Chun sisters.

Chun Li is deemed broken.

Arguably the best Chun Li on Earth gets beaten by "low tier" Rashid at First Attack.

Come on, ECT...what else ya got for us tonight? We shall see...

This has been a most eventful day for SF5 drama, lol.

Daigo loses to Chun sisters.

Chun Li is deemed broken.

Arguably the best Chun Li on Earth gets beaten by "low tier" Rashid at First Attack.

Come on, ECT...what else ya got for us tonight? We shall see...

Granted but most players have always said Chun is the best well before this, including Daigo.

thelastword

Banned
Was super impressed with Takeuchi at a recent team tournament and now he wins a major at only 18 with Rashid, very impressive. Keep complaining about your character Snakeyez.....;(

Ray Ray has really levelled up, it's nice to see....

Hyun Sai

From SRK :

28_valleface01.jpg

mbpm1

ECT was definitely the freest event of the weekend.

Judging by his play here Daigo would've gotten exposed twice by Go1 if he went to First Attack

Ray Ray was definitely feeling himself, but he had no animosity towards Daigo.

I think the hardcore DDR really needs to lay off people who pop off after beating Daigo because

1) Their is no ill intent towards Daigo
2) Beating Daigo is a very big deal for a lot of players, even to the guys that are on his level
3) The US vs Japan rivalry in SF is historically lopsided in Japan's favor. Can't blame these dudes for getting excited after taking out one of the top Japanese players. That Japanese player being Daigo only multiplies the excitement even further.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
20 years from now when there is an FGC hall of fame and everybody is making millions, Ray could look back and tell his kids, yep I beat that guy in SF once.

Sayad

This leave Vega, Gief, Sim, Birdie and the DLC characters(Ibuki almost made it ;__;) as characters who have yet to win a CPT event.

Tripon

Guile won a CPT event?

Online EU Event 2, IstilldaDaddy with Guile.

----

https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=0epi1plf664u0tphkgh3majons@group.calendar.google.com

Next week

Manila Cup in the Philippines (Spooky is personally streaming), Lockdown in Portugal (Daigo will be going to this tournament), Mid South Championships (Newish tournament run by the KiT crew and streamed by PandaxGaming), CPT Latin America Online Event II, Fight for the 6iX (Toronto's Monthly for Redbull, Count Black is 4th in points currently), and Philly's 4th and Final Redbull Monthly as well.

And anything else that people point out.

K.Sabot

Couldn't watch First Attack but I heard Chris T popped off after beating GO-1 and saying fuck chun.
That real? Anyone clip?

All I could think was that he was gonna lose to him in losers... lol

mbpm1

Couldn't watch First Attack but I heard Chris T popped off after beating GO-1 and saying fuck chun.
That real? Anyone clip?

All I could think was that he was gonna lose to him in losers... lol

I think that was someone in the thread exaggerating. But he did pop off after his air tatsus

the smart play Kappa

Sayad

Guile won a CPT event?

This leave Vega, Gief, Sim, Birdie and the DLC characters(Ibuki almost made it ;__;) as characters who have yet to win a CPT event.

I actually forgot about that online event ISTD won! Even not counting it, 12 out of 19 won legit tournaments. Vega, Sim, Gief showed up in top 8s quite a few times(Vega could probably win stuff if more top player used him, or if those who use him traveled more), Birdie, Balrog and Ibuki shows up as secondary characters. Juri probably has a chance too, she's looking like the best DLC character so far.

Tripon

Daigo finished 9th at ECT. That's his lowest placing at a tournament since TWFighter in Taiwan back in June.

thelastword

Banned
I actually forgot about that online event ISTD won! Even not counting it, 12 out of 19 won legit tournaments. Vega, Sim, Gief showed up in top 8s quite a few times(Vega could probably win stuff if more top player used him, or if those who use him traveled more), Birdie, Balrog and Ibuki shows up as secondary characters. Juri probably has a chance too, she's looking like the best DLC character so far.
I think Vega can easily win a major if a top player like Nemo is in form. I saw a very impressive Juri fighting Brentiscool at WNF recently, so, I think like Rashid, till yesterday, people are sleeping on Juri or someone has not developed her enough, but she is going to be a force to be reckoned with.

As a gief player, he needs help, especially against sim and nash who are so slippery, there's no way gief is winning a major without green hand. Birdie has some neat tools but he has to play his guts out to win a major, still he has a much better chance right now than gief. I don't want guile and sim to win any major because they're very hard matchups for gief in SFV, they should suffer too......

And then Go-1 went on to destroy him in losers finals.

I mean destroyed by GO1, and then annihilated by Takeuchi, it was so refreshing to see someone demolish Chris T's random Dp's and non-stop pressure.

By the way, towards the end of the ECT tourney yesterday, I was thinking that I'm not seeing so many good players from USF4. Where is Pepeday. where is 801Strider (a la your avatar) and many others too. It seems that many have been lost in the shuffle. I would think Pepeday would have a mean Rashid, and maybe Strider is waiting on Abel DLC.....

mbpm1

I think Vega can easily win a major if a top player like Nemo is in form. I saw a very impressive Juri fighting Brentiscool at WNF recently, so, I think like Rashid, till yesterday, people are sleeping on Juri or someone has not developed her enough, but she is going to be a force to be reckoned with.

As a gief player, he needs help, especially against sim and nash who are so slippery, there's no way gief is winning a major without green hand. Birdie has some neat tools but he has to play his guts out to win a major, still he has a much better chance right now than gief. I don't want guile and sim to win any major because they're very hard matchups for gief in SFV, they should suffer too......

I mean destroyed by GO1, and then annihilated by Takeuchi, it was so refreshing to see someone demolish Chris T's random Dp's and non-stop pressure.

By the way, towards the end of the ECT tourney yesterday, I was thinking that I'm not seeing so many good players from USF4. Where is Pepeday. where is 801Strider (a la your avatar) and many others too. It seems that many have been lost in the shuffle. I would think Pepeday would have a mean Rashid, and maybe Strider is waiting on Abel DLC.....

Pepeday is too busy working and being a family man.

Strider idk

Sayad

Pepeday wasn't relevant until El's buff in ultra, and if not for r/Kappa, we wouldn't have seen much of him outside the TGS event he won. Strider played SFIV for years, yet wasn't really relevant in top level until SFIV's last year. Though Strider's twitter(last I checked at least) suggest he's still very active, just not winning stuff right now.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm actually surprised how many players transistioned well into SFV. The game is pretty different. We're only slowly getting new faces.

thelastword

Banned
Pepeday is too busy working and being a family man.

Strider idk
Ahh yeah, that may be true, but Haitani just had a baby and he's been to so many tournaments recently. Different strokes though, maybe Pepeday isn't having much success with any character yet. I still maintain he would be a beast with Rashid though, Rashid has all the movements and craziness of El-fuerte.

Strider was playing laura last time i seen. Wasnt looking too good
Yeah, Laura would be the best match for him right now, but it could be tough for her in certain matches, wolfkrone definitely makes it work though. I would love to see how Abel plays in this game though.

Pepeday wasn't relevant until El's buff in ultra, and if not for r/Kappa, we wouldn't have seen much of him outside the TGS event he won. Strider played SFIV for years, yet wasn't really relevant in top level until SFIV's last year. Though Strider's twitter(last I checked at least) suggest he's still very active, just not winning stuff right now.
Yeah, apparently he takes quite a while to warm up and really get into (stride)...see what I did there ;).....Hopefully we see much more chars in this game next year, after CPT finals, I hope we get a patch that boosts some characters like Gief, Fang etc....but I also hope we see some chars like; Thawk, Hugo, Sagat, Akuma, Deejay, Viper and some of the dolls.....

I'm actually surprised how many players transistioned well into SFV. The game is pretty different. We're only slowly getting new faces.
Yeah, I think more players are playing at tournaments now. I like how Sony/Capcom has expanded things even to online, so online warriors can get CPT points if they're good enough, and they may be willing to go to more offline tournaments too, since it expands their chances in gaining more points from what they received in the online ranking events.

mbpm1

Ahh yeah, that may be true, but Haitani just had a baby and he's been to so many tournaments recently. Different strokes though, maybe Pepeday isn't having much success with any character yet. I still maintain he would be a beast with Rashid though, Rashid has all the movements and craziness of El-fuerte.

Yeah, but Sako also had a baby and he's nowhere lol.

Nah, Rashid is nothing like El Fuerte. No character in this game is really like Elf.

Pepeday plays Rashid and Mika I believe.

Top Bottom