• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Tournament Weekend: Final Round XX & Killer Instinct World Cup (03/09-03/11)

I'll be at KICON tomorrow at the Analogarythm booth streaming the fighting game tournaments. I got the Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter and Virtua Fighter 4 Evo tournaments on the roster :)

kWIyMtG.gif

FluxWaveZ

Apart from Damage, what is he good at exactly?

He has a fireball. He has a DP. He has a 3f jab. He has good damage. He still has good mobility. His V-Skill is good, if situational. His footsie tools are not bad.

"Low tier" is the realm of Alex and FANG. Ryu may not be one of the gods anymore, but I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't be alongside a lot of the other characters now.

He has a fireball. He has a DP. He has a 3f jab. He has good damage. He still has good mobility. His V-Skill is good, if situational. His footsie tools are not bad.

"Low tier" is the realm of Alex and FANG. Ryu may not be one of the gods anymore, but I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't be alongside a lot of the other characters now.

His footsie tools aren't good. His fireball is in a game where fireballs aren't that great. His mobility isn't great. He has a lot of tools, but how good are those tools? His throw isn't even as scary anymore because he lost the throw loop. His st. lk was shortened which was a great way to check dashes and to punish. That was one of his most important footsie tools.

FluxWaveZ

His footsie tools aren't good. His fireball is in a game where fireballs aren't that great. His mobility isn't great. He has those tools, but how good are those tools? His throw isn't even as scary anymore because he lost the throw loop. His st. lk was shortened which was a great way to check dashes and to punish. That was one of his most important footsie tools.

But not good compared to who? He has a cr.MK. He has his cr.MP and st.MP.

He has a 16f dash, and his walk speed is good. He has above average mobility. Everyone pretty much lost throw loops.

Again, Ryu isn't one of the best characters in the game anymore, but are you saying that he's now one of the game's worst characters? When we have Nash, Juri, Chun-Li, FANG, Alex, Birdie, Vega, Ken, and maybe R. Mika?

But not good compared to who? He has a cr.MK. He has his cr.MP and st.MP.

He has a 16f dash, and his walk speed is good. He has above average mobility. Everyone pretty much lost throw loops.

Again, Ryu isn't one of the best characters in the game anymore, but are you saying that he's now one of the game's worst characters? When we have Nash, Juri, Chun-Li, FANG, Alex, Birdie, Vega, Ken, and maybe R. Mika?

First, let's look at who was right there with him in season 1. Chun got nerfed, but not as bad as Ryu. Cammy and Necalli stayed the same. Karin is pretty much the same. R Mika still has suffocating offense in the corner which is huge. No way is she worse than Ryu.

Let's look at who was below him. Laura, Guile, Balrog, Rashid, and Urien. Guile, Balrog, and Rashid were already considered favored in the matchup vs Ryu. Now that they got buffed, and he got nerfed, it got worse. No need to explain Laura and Urien.

The only characters I think are worse than Ryu are Nash, Fang, Alex, and Juri?

FluxWaveZ

Oh, I wasn't trying to say those characters were worse than Ryu, but possibly on the same tier he is right now.

The only characters I think are worse than Ryu are Nash, Fang, Alex, and Juri?

I could see that, though, sure. Not sure Ken is notably better than Ryu right now, though.

Dahbomb

I'd agree with Chun, but are you sure about Ken?
Yeah Ken still has insane damage, he now has one of the best overheads in the game (one of the few remaining safe overheads and can lead into a combo from it), V trigger is still good, cr.MP/target combo is still good, his EX dive kick is still a get in move (though you aren't plus after it anymore) and he still has some of his shenanigans (minus the air tatsu no lower hit box which was always dumb to begin with). He still has a very snowball type game play to him, it's just that other characters can snowball better than him.

Ryu got hit harder than Ken was. Ryu got his neutral limbs nerfed in range and/or slowed down which was a big deal because that's what allowed people to play defensively with him. His offense/pressure isn't as good as Ken so he needed that defense.

Characters I would put below Ryu are Nash, Alex, FANG, maybe Birdie, maybe Juri. And if they are below it's not even by a considerable margin except for Alex and FANG, those two are definitely bottom 2. So Ryu is in that tier right above the most bottom tier so like lower mid tier. Now maybe lower mid tier is good enough to be viable in this game, that's certainly possible or even true.

Top Bottom