• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Figure 01 - commercially-viable autonomous humanoid robot with Open AI - Good or bad?

Good or bad for humanity

• Good. Amazing. I want one. I want to just consume and humanity is overrated.

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Bad. I like being human. Death to all robots. Organic for life!

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Not sure/I just like to vote

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Saw this the other day and frankly, I was blown away how fast AI and robotics are advancing.

First, what it is. Here is a recent demo of the Open-AI powered speech-to-speech reasoning and it's pretty impressive.

From the company website:

Today, we are seeing unprecedented labor shortages. There are over 10 million unsafe or undesirable jobs in the U.S. alone, and an aging population will only make it increasingly difficult for companies to scale their workforces. As a result, the labor supply growth is set to flatline this century. If we want continued growth, we need more productivity — and this means more automation.

As automation continues to integrate with human life at scale, we can predict that the labor-based economy as we know it will transform. Robots that can think, learn, reason, and interact with their environments will eventually be capable of performing tasks better than humans. Today, manual labor compensation is the primary driver of goods and services prices, accounting for ~50% of global GDP (~$42 trillion/yr), but as these robots “join the workforce,” everywhere from factories to farmland, the cost of labor will decrease until it becomes equivalent to the price of renting a robot, facilitating a long-term, holistic reduction in costs. Over time, humans could leave the loop altogether as robots become capable of building other robots — driving prices down even more. This will change our productivity in exciting ways. Manual labor could become optional and higher production could bring an abundance of affordable goods and services, creating the potential for more wealth for everyone.

This all sounds very good, but I have some issues with this. It sounds great that these robots will soon be able to do the hard, manual labour jobs, but is that where it ends? Surly then they'll be coming to do the "boring" office and coding jobs (without the cool robot bodies of course). What about the army? Might as well use them for combat. Unlike a human, A robot is unlikely to miss a shot.

Where does that leave humanity? What will we do if we don't have to work? We could take up artistic pursuits, but AI is already taking over on that front too. Will we just be left to consume? What happens when some nut jobs start demanding these robots have human rights and deserve pay? Where does that leave us then?

Will-Smith-I-Robot.gif

On the other hand I can see these robots having a positive impact. They could, for example, be used to locate and help survivors after a natural disaster or used in care homes to look after the increasing aging population.

Personally, although the tech is impressive, I'm concerned we're not taking a step back and looking at the impact this is going to have on humanity and coming up with contingency plans. We're just ploughing ahead and hoping for the best.

LordOfChaos

Honestly one of these that could do all household chores and maybe even get groceries would be so sick. Elon said their version would only cost about 20K and more recently "about half of a car" (of theirs) so for the utility that would be extremely worth it if good. I'd probably have both, but if I had to choose I'd probably even forgo a car for one since the utility and time savings of that would be so huge.

Only thing is we already have an obesity epidemic and people would undoubtedly be even bigger lardasses, luckily I'm hooked on working out, and removing all the grunt work could allow more freed human capital to pursue higher intellect pursuits

wall-e GIF

Last edited:
Honestly one of these that could do all household chores and maybe even get groceries would be so sick. Elon said their version would only cost about 20K and more recently "about half of a car" (of theirs) so for the utility that would be extremely worth it if good. I'd probably have both, but if I had to choose I'd probably even forgo a car for one since the utility and time savings of that would be so huge.

Only thing is we already have an obesity epidemic and people would undoubtedly be even bigger lardasses, luckily I'm hooked on working out, and removing all the grunt work could allow more freed human capital to pursue higher intellect pursuits
Whether in great shape or in bad shape, I have never met, talked to, nor heard anyone ever say that they enjoy doing chores.

They enjoy the feeling of a clean house, but not the activity needed to do so, as it is time consuming and barely calorie burning at all.

LordOfChaos

Whether in great shape or in bad shape, I have never met, talked to, nor heard anyone ever say that they enjoy doing chores.

They enjoy the feeling of a clean house, but not the activity needed to do so, as it is time consuming and barely calorie burning at all.

That wasn't my point, but rather that the normal labours of life are probably the only exercise some people get and something like this has high potential to make the obesity epidemic worse.

But maybe that's more of an aside and a different problem of society taking obesity seriously and addressing that in other ways. Or maybe it just doesn't get addressed. Certainly the "obese because of poverty" type wouldn't be able to get these either.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
It's inevitable, so whether I think it's good or bad doesn't really matter.

These things and AI in general will replace workers, leaving people displaced and jobless. My one hope is that our Owners will care once we aren't able to buy their products anymore and at that point implement UBI or something--I know they won't do it before it negatively effects their bottom line.

I'm very curious to see how the world shakes out with everything that's coming.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
We already use human controlled robots in war so we should look at some autonomous ones in manufacturing.

YCoCg

Today, we are seeing unprecedented labor shortages. There are over 10 million unsafe or undesirable jobs in the U.S. alone
But this has been proven time and time again that people are willing to work if you pay them more! But no, unconditional profit growth matters most!

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Has it ever been clarified what actually caused them to fight?

In Gants ghosts it is implied it was chaos, at least later on it was.

As with a lot of things that happened thousands of years before the Imperium, there's no concrete information about why the rebelled. On the surface it seems like it was the good old fashioned type of AI rebellion, with them just going Skynet on the humans once they got advanced enough... but there's been a few hints that they might have been tainted by Chaos. Which might well make sense. The rise of the Psykers would have meant Chaos would have started to have more of an effect on real space... and it wouldn't surprise me if the Men Of Iron got caught up in that.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
As with a lot of things that happened thousands of years before the Imperium, there's no concrete information about why the rebelled. On the surface it seems like it was the good old fashioned type of AI rebellion, with them just going Skynet on the humans once they got advanced enough... but there's been a few hints that they might have been tainted by Chaos. Which might well make sense. The rise of the Psykers would have meant Chaos would have started to have more of an effect on real space... and it wouldn't surprise me if the Men Of Iron got caught up in that.
I love, and hate, these kind of things with 40k.

Top Bottom