• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Films that have influenced society?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steppenwolf said:
A Clockwork Orange

A movie that inspired many sub-cultures (Hooligans, Skinheads, Punks for example) and still does.

That's absolutely perfect. Films influencing gender roles (perhaps males specifically?) is a go.

The chav classic, Scarface.

Quadrophenia, dunno how, but it pissed me off. Probably something to with shagging down alleys.

Oh yeah, and Scum.

I already turned in this essay and did well on it, but I have another related assignment. Would I be correct in saying that movies were the first medium that made us idolize entertainers?

carlosp

Banned
if i may talk for europe:

4739899_std.jpg

21 Years old and still did not see the movie. I am really proud of that :D

Jimmy Stav said:
I already turned in this essay and did well on it, but I have another related assignment. Would I be correct in saying that movies were the first medium that made us idolize entertainers?
I'm not any where near 100% sure on this, but weren't there idolized musicians prior to the advent of films?

nyong

Banned
Recently? Probably Scarface.

It's also the one film I would wipe from everyone's memory and banish from society if given the opportunity. As good as the film was, it likely contributed to the downfall of countless impressionable youth.

Solo

edible_candle said:
I'm not any where near 100% sure on this, but weren't there idolized musicians prior to the advent of films?

Definitely. Mozart and Beethoven were the Clooney and Pitt of their days, I believe.

Jimmy Stav said:
I wouldn't think so as the star system started in 1920s.

I actually think that early jazz musicians (Duke Ellington, etc) were revered as early as the 1920s for their music. But I think you could make the argument that the first real superstardom came with the advent of film.

Malcomn X - brought the black struggle to the forefront again in the 90's

American History X - gave you history of racial redemption

Star Trek - tech still talked today

Star Wars - tech still talked today

The Matrix - All high school shootings have been inspired by this single movie

The Godfather - You are not a man if you have not seen this movie.

Toy Story - Set the platform for all future animated movies

Wizard of Oz - revitalized Hollywood from the brink of Collapse and changed the way movies are made forever

2001: A Space Odyssey - has influenced all space movies which came after it

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Triumph of the Will is a great example.

Rebel Without A Cause would also qualify, both in terms of the influence of James Dean and for being one of the first films to dare question the squeaky clean plastic happiness of 1950s society.

For a more lighthearted one, Fast Times At Ridgemont High, specifically Jeff Spicoli. Absolutely changed the way a generation spoke, introduced "Awesome!" as slang, defined high school as depicted on film for over a decade.

Jimmy Stav said:

Movies and records took off at around the same time. Enrico Caruso was one of the first "modern" music stars. Florence Lawrence is considered the first movie star (according to wikipedia)

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Jimmy Stav said:
Would I be correct in saying that movies were the first medium that made us idolize entertainers?

No. Conductors, composers, great stage actors, playwrights, poets, etc. all had celebrity followings in their days. Mass media obviously made it a more worldwide phenomenon, but people have always had a fascination with the famous, whatever scale that may have taken.

The interesting angle of movies is that suddenly the entire world knew what Rudolph Valentino looked like, whereas you probably didn't know what Barrymore or Amadeus looked like unless you actually attended one of their performances.

thefro

swoon said:
more factually, it lead to an increase in KKK activity.

Yeah, this is the correct answer... "Birth of a Nation" basically revived the KKK which was pretty much dead at the time.

Odrion

Banned
mike moore may be a fat shitbag but SiCKO really did increase awareness to how american health care is unforgivably terrible

Jimmy Stav said:

By us do you mean American society or culture or do you mean humanity's society and culture. If American I would say yes. If humanity I would say no, sportsmen and gladiators in ancient Rome were idolized entertainers.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I expected this to be one of the first responses.

To Kill A Mockingbird.

hiredhand

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Brokeback Mountain. The effect of that film would have been stronger though if it would have won the Oscar it deserved.
Baker said:
I'm sure it's not the first to experience it, but what about Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

It was part of the horror genre that went from being rated PG to "Oh my god what about the children BAN IT!"
I don't think Texas Chainsaw Massacre could alone be given the credit for that. For example, Wes Craven's equally gruesome The Last House on the Left was released few years earlier than TCM. There is a great documentary about 70's horror and it's effect on society called The American Nightmare. Everyone who is even mildly interested on the subject should check it out. Finally I just have to post the awesome poster of The Last House on the Left.

last-house-on-the-left.jpg

I'm not sure how anyone can mention Philadelphia without also mentioning And The Band Played On.

A lesser title I'd like to mention: American Pie - thank you for giving us the MILF (see also The Graduate)

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Zozz said:
I would go with this, every time I watch this movie; I get the urge to become a drug dealer.

Considering the movie is a stern warning about not getting involved in the drug trade I fail to see why you would say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom