• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Films that will have a cult following in 10 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ducky_McGee said:
Speaking of amazing 4 hour long movies that were ruined on the cutting room floor...

poster-once_upon_a_time_in_america1.jpg

Oh hell yes, one of the best movies ever. I've never seen the original theatrical release though. Would be interesting.

uraldix

UraMallas said:
Is Kingdom of Heaven really that good in Director's Cut form? The Blu Ray is only $12 on Amazon right now and I'm thinking of blind buying it...

I need more input before I buy it. Has anybody else seen it?

It is one of my favorite movies.

uraldix

Truant said:
ITT we learn that most posters on GAF don't really know what a cult film is.

I always thought of them as low budget and under the radar type movies that develop a following despite the fact they aren't very good (Death Race 2000, Evil Dead, etc.)

Of all the movies posted in this thread i think Kingdom of Heaven: DC is the most qualified to become a cult classic. Maybe it even is already. It has it all. Not many have seen or even heard of it but those who have often consider it one of their favourite movies.

tralfazz

Came in to back up:
Idiocracy and Walk Hard. I preach these two every chance I get. Always make believers afterwards. WalK Hard is one of the funniest movies of the last few years yet no one gave it a chance.

Dying to see Moon and Black Dynamite.

Truant

uraldix said:
I always thought of them as low budget and under the radar type movies that develop a following despite the fact they aren't very good (Death Race 2000, Evil Dead, etc.)

They do not really have to be low budget at all. There are very expensive films that flopped both commercially and critically during its time that have gathered a devoted cult following over the years. Not very common, but it happens.

uraldix

Truant said:
They do not really have to be low budget at all. There are very expensive films that flopped both commercially and critically during its time that have gathered a devoted cult following over the years. Not very common, but it happens.

I am sure that we all have our definitions of what a "cult" movie is, I was just giving what comes to my mind. One thing is for sure, never drink the the Kool Aid at any movie showing with the word "cult" in the description.

game-boi

v0yce said:

I came here to post this. Great flick that fits just about every definition of a cult film and has the bonus of a totally fucked up release.

I also totally agree with people that said: The Fountain, Speed Racer, and Black Dynamite.

Side note: Am I the only person that didn't fall in love with Brick? I get that it was supposed to be an old school film noir mystery, but the ending was pretty obvious and what teenager in America fucking talks like any of those cartoon characters? Add in the fact that talking to any person that liked this film reminds me of trying to tell someone that Donny Darko isn't that good
(they'll try to tell you that "you just didn't get it" in some holier than thou attitude and tell you to watch it again to find the deeper meaning behind it's bullshit ending)
. That said, nifty concept, but it was poorly executed IMO.

Ecto311

gdt5016 said:
This is a really good movie, that no one's seen.

I had no idea this movie existed till my brother gave it to me for xmas. It was not near as shitty as I thought it would be. The jump rope scene with the headphones was actually funny.

I have to nominate (and it might have been discussed before) this movie;

worlds_greatest_dad_poster.jpg

This had to be one of if not my favorite movie that came out last year.

Jex

Kiss Kiss Bang Band and Moon are correct answers, although I dont know how well Moon will do long run. Brick is also a good answer but I think that might be even too far gone for a cult classic. Also I don't know if Pan's Labyrinth would be a cult classic because I rarely hear anyone talking about it, even if it is excellent.

I also agree with Where the Wild Things Are. It got fairly mixed reviews, but the people who liked it seemed to really, really like it. I think it's the type of thing that people will discover on DVD and wonder how it isn't more popular.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Fans may become involved in a subculture of fandom, either via conventions, online communities, or through activities such as writing series-related fiction, costume creation, replica prop and model building, or creating their own audio or video productions based around the formats and characters.[1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom