• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2013: 750 woo!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've never understood why Berserkers are so hated because I never used them. Is it because they have shitty hit rates and low defense?

Axes do have a low hit rate but they have world class defense, it's because they only auto attack.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I've never understood why Berserkers are so hated because I never used them. Is it because they have shitty hit rates and low defense?

You don't control them. Ever. IIRC.

Berserkers cannot use items, or defend, or choose targets wisely. They just attack, and attack, and attack, until either they're dead or the enemy is.

All the Berserker's strategy comes outside of battle. That's where it gets me.

Did anyone ever finish solo Berserker? I had a friend who got to the last boss but that's it.

Hugstable

Banned
I hear all this talk of Berserker, but I think I'm gonna keep it at a reg run since this is my first time and all joining the Fiesta. I just beat the game on the iOS version, but I did play the game way back in the day on the PS1 but stopped halfway through because it wasn't my game and I was only visiting my cousin for a week :(. Glad I finally got a chance to play it when I bought my iPad like 2 months ago!

I really think it'll be fun doing this on my iPad version cause I can actually take pictures. I was thinking about the GBA version, but I'm not really down to track down a GBA and that game in this day and age with how many fake copies of GBA games there are.

Really can't wait for this though; really the first big community event I've wanted to take place in since I just recently joined GAF.

Finalow

All the Berserker's strategy comes outside of battle. That's where it gets me.
well of course since you can't do shit with berserker in battle, just attack. =D

I guess that there are some videos on you tube of people finishing the solo berserker run.

I thought Berserker SSCC couldn't beat NeoExdeath?

I wasn't aware it could beat Neo Exdeath or Sandworm, so if it can beat the game it's news to me.

Edit: Guess I'm wrong. "This early april prank was the product of my questionable sense of humor. Yeah. It's SandWorm. No strategy involved. Took about 40-50 resets. I'm at SolCannon now, I think that guy is going to be a lot worse."

I wasn't aware it could beat Neo Exdeath or Sandworm, so if it can beat the game it's news to me.

Edit: Guess I'm wrong. "This early april prank was the product of my questionable sense of humor. Yeah. It's SandWorm. No strategy involved. Took about 40-50 resets. I'm at SolCannon now, I think that guy is going to be a lot worse."

I knew Sandworm was possible just incredibly random, I can't find any documentation of anyone actually beating the game with a solo berserker, though simply getting to NeoExdeath is pretty incredible.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's technically possible, but not very likely, requires a lot of resets and a very specific "build" for the Zerker. Here's a chronicle of one Solo Zerker making it all the way to NeoExdeath, and allll the shit involved to get to that point. Sandworm and Sol Cannon are the mayor roadblocks. Said build to beat NeoExdeath with a solo Zerker is at the end.

This is why I consider them to be the most strategic class possible. It's all out of battle prep and number crunching to even give luck the chance it needs to work.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Damn you guys are getting a lot of donations pretty quickly. Will jobs with negative counts not be used at all? We could get rid of all the berserkers? :D
That is just for my run. Everyone else is pulled out of a magical non-existent hat.

Heropon

Speaking of your run, it looks like you might get blessed with a Time Mage. Teleport would speed up the run significantly.

I want him to show the greatness of the Time Mage, but seeing him struggle with Thief/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dragoon is also attractive.

xourtney

Neo Member
Signed up for a normal run as my first full playthrough of FFV.

I've seen people posting what the hard jobs are, but what would be considered the easiest combo? I remember just using random combinations like Blue Mage with Summoner skills or White Mage with the Red Mage dualcast ability and having a pretty decent time until
I came across a castle with an undead dragon, I think? I couldn't beat it and gave up. :(

If you end up with no White Mage or Red Mage is it tough to get the gil for lots and lots of potions?

I've seen people posting what the hard jobs are, but what would be considered the easiest combo? I remember just using random combinations like Blue Mage with Summoner skills or White Mage with the Red Mage dualcast ability and having a pretty decent time until
I came across a castle with an undead dragon, I think? I couldn't beat it and gave up. :(

If you end up with no White Mage or Red Mage is it tough to get the gil for lots and lots of potions?

I ran over the game spectacularly in the 25th anniversary thread with a team of Blue Mage/Summoner/Bard/Dragoon. Samurai instead of Dragoon would make that even better.

Potions aren't terribly hard to come by, although there is an awkward part of the game where the 50 health potions are insufficient and you can't buy hi-potions yet.

SkyOdin

In my go last year, I pulled Thief for my Wind Crystal job. I stocked up on potions to 99 for most of the dungeons, but that isn't actually that expensive. Black Mage, Monk, and Knight don't have much healing, but they are probably going to murder the enemy fast enough that you won't need to heal often. Thief is the tricky one, but I didn't have too much trouble getting to the Water Crystal with an all-Thief team. In the long run, the cost of the potions isn't an issue, it is the power of the potions.

I can't really say as to what would be the strongest team, since there are a lot of strong combinations and it might depend more on preferred playstyle than anything else. For example, the Blue Mage is a really strong class, but it requires a lot of time and effort to unlock its full power and range of abilities. Likewise, Chemist is a very powerful class, but it might be mostly redundant if you already have a White Mage.

Having a mix of both high physical attack power, magical attack power, and healing is the foundation of a strong team. So a combination of Knight/Summoner/Bard/Chemist is a pretty powerful team, as is White Mage/Mystic Knight/Ranger/Samurai. A much weaker team would be something like Knight/Berserker/Ranger/Samurai, since all four classes focus primarily on physical damage. Such as team could still walk all over most of the game, but might have trouble against some of the trickier bosses.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Oooh, this is maybe my favorite post in the world to respond to!

First, congratulations for deciding to join the Fiesta this year!

I've never myself determined what the absolute best possible team is for a normal run, but I have multiple times determined what the best jobs are for teaming up with, and that list is quite a bit greater than would fit in a regular party.

The best classes in no particular order are Black Mage, White Mage, Warrior, Blue Mage, Summoner, Time Mage, Mystic Knight, Ninja, Ranger, Chemist and Samurai.

Surprisingly enough most of those classes listed have methods of healing, some that are quite a bit different from your usual cast Curaga.

Anyone who can use either fire spells or a weapon with the fire element can heal someone in your party equipped with a Flame Ring. This includes the Black Mage (can heal the entire party at once) The Mystic Knight (Can do it one at a time after enchanting their blades with a fire spell) and The Warrior (Can do it with the Knight Sword Flametongue)

Time Mages can heal with Regen spell, though it is slow and by smacking Flame Ring people with a Fire Rod. Blue Mage can heal with White Wind. Ranger can shoot the Flame Bow at people, and Chemist can heal through a variety of very cheap potions if you farm material.

The best way to get money is to grind of course, though you'll also find that if you don't have to buy spells or a ton of heavy armor you'll have plenty of money going through the game. Also you can sell everything your characters don't need for money.

As for grind spots well here you go:

World 1: Karnak Wolves, 625 GP per encounter, always encountered, easy to beat.
World 2:Bal Castle Basement Objects d'art. Kill them with gold needles for easy money and ABP.
World 3:Bal Castle or the Rift.

Also remember that tents are cheap and save points are common.

The best classes in no particular order are Black Mage, White Mage, Warrior, Blue Mage, Summoner, Time Mage, Mystic Knight, Ninja, Ranger, Chemist and Samurai.

Ha, I got none of these in my last Fiesta. (Monk/Berserker/Geo/Dancer). It was still a decent party outside of the healing.

I wouldn't have considered some of those to be top tier. I always wanted to make a FF5 job tier list but it's so dependent on other classes. Maybe a SSCC tier list would be something.

xourtney

Neo Member
Anyone who can use either fire spells or a weapon with the fire element can heal someone in your party equipped with a Flame Ring.

I'm really glad I asked, now. I don't think I would have thought of this, maybe ever?

Having a mix of both high physical attack power, magical attack power, and healing is the foundation of a strong team. So a combination of Knight/Summoner/Bard/Chemist is a pretty powerful team, as is White Mage/Mystic Knight/Ranger/Samurai. A much weaker team would be something like Knight/Berserker/Ranger/Samurai, since all four classes focus primarily on physical damage. Such as team could still walk all over most of the game, but might have trouble against some of the trickier bosses.

I see! I feel a little less worried about getting a weird combination. Thanks for all the information. I can see why this event is so popular. Lots of ways to beat a game, lots of unique strategies.
I'll have to look out for a multiple Berserker stream to see how that plays out. :D

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Ha, I got none of these in my last Fiesta. (Monk/Berserker/Geo/Dancer). It was still a decent party outside of the healing.

I wouldn't have considered some of those to be top tier. I always wanted to make a FF5 job tier list but it's so dependent on other classes. Maybe a SSCC tier list would be something.

Black Mage: Multitarget damage, multitarget healing, can break rods but why would you want to.

White Mage: Might seem lackluster beyond its healing but since you're not playing solo the lack of damage doesn't really hurt it when you can make everyone else really quite capable via buffs and healing. Don't sleep on the power of Berserk and Confuse!

Warrior: Can heal single target eventually and do a gross amount of damage, has heavy armor and the option of shield or more damage.

Blue Mage: Blue Magic has never been as strong as it is in this game, real easy job to master, if you know where the spells are and how to get them you are set.

Summoner: Crazy High Magic, MT spells that can be boosted by rods.

Time Mage: Hastega, Quick, Stop, Slowga. Who cares about comet? If you really want to damage someone with one just break the right rod!

Mystic Knight: Magic Sword is one of the best skills in the game and their stats are nicely balanced, can heal a ton and have heavy armor? One of the best solo classes and when teamed with practically anything make themselves and their teammates better.

Ninja: Two swords and throw. Makes practically any party better. double double lances is ridiculous.

Ranger: X-Fight. This makes any physical class good. !Equip Bows is a sneaky good choice for a lot of backrow characters.

Chemist: Chemists are broken in literally every FF game they show up in. Hell they made it a limit break in FFX and it's STILL Broken. Make your party immune to all elements, power their stats up to the very limit. Batman of classes, with enough time to prepare are invincible in all fights.

Samurai: Second best solo class though arguably easier than the best, which is the Chemist. Heavy Armor, a weapon that grants haste, gil toss is too good. You will beat the game if you get this class.

Heropon

Would a Black Mage/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dancer #natural run be difficult? I don't have any experience with Geomancers and I'm scared of getting one.

When I had samurai (the first year I did this) I didn't actually know about using the Masamune to cast haste. I still thought the class was broken because of Gil Toss and Blade Catch, and the weapon's "always go first" ability.

The Earth Crystal jobs are so good...

Edit: Red Mage in a Natural run is bad news. Without support, you're left with a class that can doublecast raise, and that's pretty much their only contribution to fights after Bal Castle.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Would a Black Mage/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dancer #natural run be difficult? I don't have any experience with Geomancers and I'm scared of getting one.

Pros: You still have one Black Mage, One Class with ribbons and sword dance with a chicken knife. No damage from damage tiles. Geomancers are pretty good and scale well with leveling.

Cons: Really low HP for the most part. Might need to level a lot to survive the final fight. Red Mage+Black Mage is normally a great combo ruined by Natural.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I have Bard as top-tier as well. Can really save a Fiesta run. :)

Might as well considering I put Ranger in. Absolutely earth shattering when you understand how they work and if you can give them any support. Second worst HP and Def in the game though.

Chris R

Thinking of doing a regular run this year since my hard mode run last year didn't end up working out... But natural sounds fun too.

Heropon

Edit: Red Mage in a Natural run is bad news. Without support, you're left with a class that can doublecast raise, and that's pretty much their only contribution to fights after Bal Castle.

Pros: You still have one Black Mage, One Class with ribbons and sword dance with a chicken knife. No damage from damage tiles. Geomancers are pretty good and scale well with leveling.

Cons: Really low HP for the most part. Might need to level a lot to survive the final fight. Red Mage+Black Mage is normally a great combo ruined by Natural.

Then I should start praying that Lenna doesn't get Red Mage, it's the only really bad job I can get in a 750 + natural run.

gblues

Banned
Yeah. This was the biggest complaint from last year. (And then when I removed it, the first thing I got was a complaint. There is no winning. But there was so many complaints that we will see how things go this year. Who knows! I already have things planned for 2014.)

I really appreciate you making the change. I hit a wall last year due to the duplicates. Looking forward to this year's fiesta!

I'm cheering for a Blue/Thief/Ranger/Bard party this year. Not sure if I want all four together but those are the classes I most want to play with.

Exhumed

Joining the fiesta this year. I've played FFV through many times already but haven't joined in the fiesta yet. Dusted off my GBA copy, I'm so ready and excited!

Hugstable

Banned
Hopefully I get some really good picks so I can finish off by mid July. SMT4 may have to wait a few days if I don't finish fast enough :(. Good thing it's the glorious summer!! I've been playing some Final Fantasy XII International on PCSX during the 2 weeks before Fiesta starts. Feels great catching up on the few Final Fantasy games I've missed and I ended up importing FFXII international because of the job system. I could never really get into the regular FFXII, but the Zodiac job system really freshens things up so hopefully I stick through and maybe complete this game someday.

Final Fantasy V has definitely become one of my top 3 Final Fantasy games though after completing it last week. The job system is just too addictive and really made the game incredibly enjoyable. I never wanted to run from fights because I would change tactics constantly as I change jobs.

Stuart444

I'd be really tempted to do this but having not completed FFV, I wouldn't feel right playing in a 'forced'/limited way my first time through.

Good luck to everyone participating though!

Ruuppa

Hope I get a Dragoon this year, I've never played that guy.

Just went over my pictures from last year, and noticed that I was just over lvl 30 when I finished. Going to try and do an under-30 run this time.

DMG-01

Natural Random Berserkerrisk.

How is Random harder than No 750 (when also accounting for BR/Natural)? Is it just based on No 750's 50% chance of getting a Samurai? Because if so, BR makes it so that you'd have a 1/3rd chance to have your Earth job be a Zerker, giving you an overall 33% chance at a Samurai. Alternatively, with Random, you have a chance each crystal to get a great class that you wouldn't otherwise have access to in a No 750 run like BM, BlueM, WM, SM, TM, Bard, or Chemist.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
How is Random harder than No 750 (when also accounting for BR/Natural)? Is it just based on No 750's 50% chance of getting a Samurai? Because if so, BR makes it so that you'd have a 1/3rd chance to have your Earth job be a Zerker, giving you an overall 33% chance at a Samurai. Alternatively, with Random, you have a chance each crystal to get a great class that you wouldn't otherwise have access to in a No 750 run like BM, BlueM, WM, SM, TM, Bard, or Chemist.

I actually deliberated this for quite awhile myself.

No 750 Natural Berserkerrisk might be a bit harder than Random Natural Berserkerisk but it also has some very high chances of giving you a good class.

In natural games with berserker risk your one guaranteed berserker has an equal chance of being on any of the crystal jobs except for wind.

So you have a 2/3rds shot of getting the OK thief (who actually works decently with Berserker) or the Monk (who in a normal game work great with berserkers but not in a natural game) and 1/3rd shot of getting a Warrior. (good enough to beat the game on his own)

But look at the Water Crystal job. Under No 750 you have a 2/3rds shot of getting your berserker here or getting the good enough to beat the game Mystic Knight.

Fire Crystal is even better. 1/2 of the time you're getting Ninja or Ranger, 1/2 the time you'd get Beastmaster or Berserker, but only if the Water Crystal didn't already give you one or you were unlucky enough to get mutliple Berserkers , in which case you'd probably have a Mystic Knight anyways.

Earth Crystal is the biggie. Now if you get a Berserker here you're not doing too well but honestly while I bag on them for being boring Dragoons are still really good and Samurai is the best solo class in the game.

Now donations right now are actually shockingly high but maybe a ton of people will berserkerrisk this year and most people will only end up with one.

No 750 definitely gives you the best chance of the nightmare scenario of Thief, 3x Berserkers which is probably the single hardest full party run outside of four berserkers but I'd say on average Random will give you a harder party more of the time despite being able to dip into the full range of character classes. The key point here is natural. Red Mage sucks without another class to help it. White Mage without the aid of more abilities slows down random encounters, Random gives you the threat of getting a Knight as your final job preventing people from running, it also encourages you to get all the side equipment and summons and the like from world 1 making for a longer game.

I actually deliberated this for quite awhile myself.

No 750 Natural Berserkerrisk might be a bit harder than Random Natural Berserkerisk but it also has some very high chances of giving you a good class.

In natural games with berserker risk your one guaranteed berserker has an equal chance of being on any of the crystal jobs except for wind.

So you have a 2/3rds shot of getting the OK thief (who actually works decently with Berserker) or the Monk (who in a normal game work great with berserkers but not in a natural game) and 1/3rd shot of getting a Warrior. (good enough to beat the game on his own)

But look at the Water Crystal job. Under No 750 you have a 2/3rds shot of getting your berserker here or getting the good enough to beat the game Mystic Knight.

Fire Crystal is even better. 1/2 of the time you're getting Ninja or Ranger, 1/2 the time you'd get Beastmaster or Berserker, but only if the Water Crystal didn't already give you one or you were unlucky enough to get mutliple Berserkers , in which case you'd probably have a Mystic Knight anyways.

Earth Crystal is the biggie. Now if you get a Berserker here you're not doing too well but honestly while I bag on them for being boring Dragoons are still really good and Samurai is the best solo class in the game.

Now donations right now are actually shockingly high but maybe a ton of people will berserkerrisk this year and most people will only end up with one.

No 750 definitely gives you the best chance of the nightmare scenario of Thief, 3x Berserkers which is probably the single hardest full party run outside of four berserkers but I'd say on average Random will give you a harder party more of the time despite being able to dip into the full range of character classes. The key point here is natural. Red Mage sucks without another class to help it. White Mage without the aid of more abilities slows down random encounters, Random gives you the threat of getting a Knight as your final job preventing people from running, it also encourages you to get all the side equipment and summons and the like from world 1 making for a longer game.

So what you're saying is that while Random Natural Berserk Risk could potentially give you a better team then No 750 Natural Berserk Risk there is a higher chance it could give you a worse team then anything no 750 natural berserk risk could possibly leave you with.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Close but not quite. Thief+3x Berserker is possible on both.

The best way to put it is that your odds of getting a really great unit that works with Natural is higher with no 750 than it is with Random but only barely.

With Random you get a larger pool for both better and worse classes. With No 750 you get a much smaller pool but all four crystal have a very high chance of giving you one really great class.

750 Berserker Risk might be the most fun of all Berserker risks. You're guaranteed healing because of the WC job!

EDIT: Of course 750 Berserker Risk does give you the slight chance of having White Mage, Berserker, Berserker which would make Sandworm...FUN.

2011: Thief, Mystic Knight, Beastmaster, Chemist
2012: Monk, Mystic Knight, Beastmaster, Dancer

Hopefully I won't get MK or BM again this year. Maybe starting [X] Mage, Summoner would be fun.

Here's last year's chart, since I haven't seen it in thread yet. There were only 90 people on Berserker Risk last year, so with about the same amount of money, a bunch of people got double-zerkered. An unlucky pair got triple-zerkered (both with Knight). If I recall correctly, both of them also beat the game, and one of them did it remarkably quickly.

HOTNFANCY2012.png

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also I've completely forgotten about the one thing that actually makes Natural slightly easier for the first world: You get a guaranteed Freelancer up through Archeoavis. This is actually huge as Freelancer is really awesome in World 1 with its Ribbon and access to all sorts of great weapons like the Coral Sword, Doom Axe, Darkness Bow that even with no rod breaking from no 750 the first world would be pretty dang easy!

Cyan is also right that unless donations really start to rise and Berserkerrisk signups start to drop that it'll likely be around one Berserker per risk. This basically makes my argument even stronger because most people will get a Berserker for their water job and have a great shot at getting two strong jobs in the next two crystals, Making the worst party for Natural no 750 Berserkerrisk Thief, Berserker, Geomancer/Beastmaster*, Dragoon. Now that party has problems but it can beat the game. Those that miss the 2/3rds shot at a Water Berserker instead get Mystic Knight which is a happy trade that does lower the chance of a Samurai but is still a great option.

*Beastmaster might be the character worst impacted by Natural/Berserkerrisk if you can believe it and definitely the worst if you take out Red Mage. Berserkers mess up control and now you can't load up the party with Pokémon Cannons because of Natural.

Mitama

This Final Fantasy looks awesome, yet for some reason I've never played it! Just bought it for 15 EUR and got it coming later this week, think I'll join in for a regular run.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
The list of all available commands responds to is available here.

Top Bottom