• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2013: 750 woo!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If I had $5000 spare cash laying around, I'd donate 5K just to spite you into playing FF12, the best FF evar. >:|

I dunno if I'll go this year, since I don't have much free time to replay a FF.

What exactly is the 750 supposed to mean? I didn't get that from the rules. I know the 750/non-750 is about breaking rods, but why "750?"

Ferrio

Banned
If I had $5000 spare cash laying around, I'd donate 5K just to spite you into playing FF12, the best FF evar. >:|

What exactly is the 750 supposed to mean? I didn't get that from the rules. I know the 750/non-750 is about breaking rods, but why "750?"

Cost of a rod apparently.

Noi

750 is how much each rod costs to buy.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ah, got it.

Also why is some of the RK vote's negatives? Like the Berserker right now is -488?

(Also I wish we could throw RK into #berserkerrisk) voting thereby if someone donates a lot of cash he gets multiple berserkers.

wrowa

I... think I'm im. Yeah, I will give it a try.

FF5 is one of those games I never came around playing and since there's no (good) remake on the horizon, the Four Job Fieste is a pretty good reason to give it a go. It might not be the best way to play the game for the first time, but otherwise I'm probably never going to play it anyway.

I'm looking forward to it! Now I just need to get used to all of that Twitter stuff, made an account a while ago but never actually used it. Can't say I know anyone who's actively using it among my contacts.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Classes of years past:

2010 - Black Mage/Beserker/Ranger/Samurai
2011 - White Mage/Mystic Knight/Geomancer/Dancer
2012 - Knight/Red Mage/Bard/Chemist

So I've never had Monk, Thief, Blue Mage, Summoner, Time Mage, Beast Master, Ninja, Dragoon and Mime. I was going to do a random run but I'd rather play all the jobs first. I'll just pay my way to get the remaining jobs.

Still funny the year I finally beat the game probably had the worst team. RK values my 2012 team at $12 versus $13 for 2011 and $15 for 2010.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Ah, got it.

Also why is some of the RK vote's negatives? Like the Berserker right now is -488?

(Also I wish we could throw RK into #berserkerrisk) voting thereby if someone donates a lot of cash he gets multiple berserkers.

All the jobs I used last year got -500 in votes to make it so I (hopefully) do not use the exact same jobs this year in the run.

because there are four targets and if you target the wrong one, it's a nasty counter.
I remember reading the Berserker could target 6 targets in that fight. The other two targets are the other sandworm positions I think those are just fake targets though. So that means they have a 1/6 chance of doing damage...

Luigi87

Zerkers are also a nightmare to have in the Crystal fight (especially when you have multiple x_x)

"Focus that one! FOCUS IT! ... *party receives multiple AoE damage*

There was a slight issue with re-registering. Fixed now.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll pass that along to her.

Almost got in on this last year but decided I didn't have time. This year I'm in, just dug up my GBA copy of FF5. I'll probably just go for a normal run since It's my first go at it. Excited!

SkyOdin

Zerkers are also a nightmare to have in the Crystal fight (especially when you have multiple x_x)

"Focus that one! FOCUS IT! ... *party receives multiple AoE damage*
That crystal fight is simply a nightmare, period. It is particularly annoying when your only source of elemental damage is multi-target. I had to actually sit down and learn the depths of the chemist's mix table in order to beat that boss. It helps for any fight in the game, but was absolutely essential for me to defeat those crystals.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Whoooooo! Love FF5FJF, subbed registered and ready to go for random, natural, berserker risk.

You also really made the voting interesting. Berserker is already sub -400. This is... unsettling.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hah, this'll be my first year. Excite.

Probably not the best thing to go Natural + Berserker Risk + Random, but eh, what the hey. Noi and I decided to get through this as much as we can.

Fey

Banned
As a last resort the PSN version, "playable" on the PS3, PSP and I think Vita is pretty easy to get and cheap.

iOS version is less cheap and the controls are a bit frustrating but I'd probably recommend it over the other two.

If you know Japanese and have a JPN Wii or SFC both of those versions are cheap.

Finally the Cadillac of all options is the expensive, potentially bootlegged GBA version. iOS is based off of this one but it isn't quite as good.

My only options from there are GBA and PS3 right now. :( I wanted to get it on the GBA. Will try to get a copy of that before I resort to the PS3!

Yeehaa, this is going to be my first run through this, is that a bit insane or is it still going to be a fun ride? I assume virtually any team setup can be fixed through liberal application of grinding, right?

Mandoric

Banned
Yay, time for more BERSERKER SUFFERING.

Yeehaa, this is going to be my first run through this, is that a bit insane or is it still going to be a fun ride? I assume virtually any team setup can be fixed through liberal application of grinding, right?

For perspective, the "right" team comp can finish the game in single digits, and the final boss can be killed by a level 1 frog (though making it to him and grinding the mobs that drop AP but not EXP requires a little more oomph.)

RevenantKioku

Wish I can join in on this but exams start in a week.

Oh and a way to play the game too. That's important I guess.

Exams do not run until August 31, do they? (The event is until then. I will update the original post.)

I had this endless feeling of dread throughout my Berserker run last year, but it was actually pretty good. Monk/Berserker was great synergy; berserk made my Monk not completely suck in the second half of the game, and barefisted made my Berserker a killing machine for the first 75% until I got endgame weapons.

I'm just gonna do a random run this year. I don't really want to deal with no healing again and don't want a party with no physical characters. Also don't want a team of freelancers or characters that can't share abilities. That doesn't seem fun at all except for the challenge aspect. Call me a wuss, I guess.

Berserker risk with Team 750 would be kind of fun if it existed. (not sure if it does)

Heropon

I think I'm going to mix team 750 with Natural to not have things too easy. I hope I don't get the "mediocre" jobs. Having a white/black mage and a red mage in the same team without skill inheritance would frustrate me. :)

Zierath

I registered for this for the first time today. A random run since I'm decently familiar with FF5. I'll try my best to finish!

Berserker and 3 mages seems like a grand old time! It'd probably make things easier than some of the combinations.

I wish we could get other 'risks' besides Berserker. Obviously nothing stands out quite like a Berserker, but I bet there are other classes that struggle overall that we could work in next year if people were on board. Maybe Time Mage? I don't know FF5 well enough to know how good some of the lower-tier classes are. I guess they could rod break to make up for deficiencies.

Time mages aren't low-tier because you can break rods until you get Comet, and Haste is OP.

Potential "bad" picks:

• Thief has low offense, but can steal some really helpful things.
  • Monk has insane damage output in the early game but falls off late.
  • Red Mage has very little health, and isn't very powerful after World 1 unless you can give Dualcast to something else (Black/White/Blue/Time/Summoner)
  • Berserker
  • Geomancer has sub-par weapons, and their skill is very weak.

Heropon

I made a post preaching the virtues of Time Mage last year thanks to my wonderful experience with one of them in my first Fiesta. I learnt to love the power of Return.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Time Mage is actually pretty solid! Not dependable on offense late due to randomness, but better early than other mages due to equipping knives, and great utility spells.

Monk is probably my least favorite of the classes I've had thus far. Though Thief isn't great, you can at least give them a Chicken Knife, and steal useful equipment.

Monk is great in world one, ok in world 2 and falls apart in the end game. If Kaiser Knuckle went in the weapon slot instead of the accessory slot they'd be good all game.

It's a class I get often and while I like them they are definitely below average especially when compared to non Thief Wind Crystal jobs.

EDIT: I would go as far to say that Time Mages are top tier and the only potentially bad mage class is Red Mage, though they are only bad if you don't get more magic to go along with them. In 750 you're going to get more magic classes almost 100% of the time.

I made a post preaching the virtues of Time Mage last year thanks to my wonderful experience with one of them in my first Fiesta. I learnt to love the power of Return.

Yeah, I complained about Time mages a lot last year (especially in World 2), but it's really what carried me through the end of the game.

EDIT: I would go as far to say that Time Mages are top tier and the only potentially bad mage class is Red Mage, though they are only bad if you don't get more magic to go along with them. In 750 you're going to get more magic classes almost 100% of the time.

In 750 runs, your only choices for the Wind Crystal are White/Black/Blue, so Red is pretty good if you get it in that circumstance.

Edit: Unless you get it in a Natural run, then it's pretty much useless.

Heropon

Yeah, I complained about Time mages a lot last year (especially in World 2), but it's really what carried me through the end of the game.

Maybe I didn't complain too much because my jobs had good synergy, so what went wrong with your Time mages?

I really missed having a Time Mage during my second run when I was in Exdeath castle.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Sorta want to do a random run + berserker risk. On the fence about it since I've never actually beaten the game and am not really sure what jobs are good/bad. Sounds fun though.

Negator

Berserker was actually a boss in my last run. Lenna would straight up just kill bosses in one hit sometimes with the Death Axe.

Aeana

I'm almost positive I won't finish in a timely fashion this year, but I registered anyway. We'll see how it goes.

Monk is great in world one, ok in world 2 and falls apart in the end game. If Kaiser Knuckle went in the weapon slot instead of the accessory slot they'd be good all game.

It's a class I get often and while I like them they are definitely below average especially when compared to non Thief Wind Crystal jobs.

Monk synergizes well with mages, at least, since barehanded makes them more useful in random battles for most of the game.

Hmm. Maybe Dragoon? Or Red Mage? Red Mage really depends on who he's with. Dragoon.. I haven't gotten them in a Fiesta yet, but they don't seem all that great.

And I back Monk as being a pretty awesome class. Four monks straight up breaks the early game. Even later on when they fall off, they're still decent for clearing out randoms.

Maybe I didn't complain too much because my jobs had good synergy, so what went wrong with your Time mages?

I really missed having a Time Mage during my second run when I was in Exdeath castle.

It was mostly frustration with the very random damage from Comet. I just remember having a damage output problem during that run, especially since I was going for the Brave Blade and couldn't Teleport away from fights.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Monk synergizes well with mages, at least, since barehanded makes them more useful in random battles for most of the game.

Indeed they do but that falls off by the end of the game when even White Mages have a better offensive option in Holy. It's absolutely a time saver in world one and you'll even get decent results using it on backrow mages in world two when the defensive liability of a mage in the front row becomes too great.

Aeana

Indeed they do but that falls off by the end of the game when even White Mages have a better offensive option in Holy. It's absolutely a time saver in world one and you'll even get decent results using it on backrow mages in world two when the defensive liability of a mage in the front row becomes too great.

The end of the game is only one part of the game, though, and holy costs MP.
I mean, I melee with mages in most random battles anyway, even if they're only gonna do like 12 damage. MP IS PRECIOUS, MAN GOD.

Heropon

It was mostly frustration with the very random damage from Comet. I just remember having a damage output problem during that run, especially since I was going for the Brave Blade and couldn't Teleport away from fights.

I see, having three physical classes certainly helped with not getting frustrated then.

In what case is the Brave Blade better than the chicken knife?

SkyOdin

Thieves aren't that bad. They lack both strong offense or great defense, but are just sturdy enough to hold up on the front line and just strong enough to kill mooks. That changes late-game, if you get the Chicken Knife. Then the Thief becomes a solid attacker. You can't discount their speed either. Having the ability to instantly act at the start of every fight is useful. Being able to steal large quantities of useful items early is great too, and stealing opens up synergy with classes other than Thief.

However, Thief Risk would be awful. Getting stuck with more than one thief would be brutal. A Thief works best in a supporting role, giving its abilities to other classes and stealing items to make them better. There is only one Chicken Knife, too. So while one Thief is a great addition to a team, having two or three Thieves in the end-game would be hard.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The end of the game is only one part of the game, though, and holy costs MP.
I mean, I melee with mages in most random battles anyway, even if they're only gonna do like 12 damage. MP IS PRECIOUS, MAN GOD.

I used to play that way myself and had to force myself to realize that MP healing is frequent enough in the form of both items and dancing dagger that just casting the spells willy nilly works most of the time. Save point distribution in FF V is especially generous and tents are cheap!

Aeana

I used to play that way myself and had to force myself to realize that MP healing is frequent enough in the form of both items and dancing dagger that just casting the spells willy nilly works most of the time. Save point distribution in FF V is especially generous and tents are cheap!

In honesty, it really just depends on what I'm dealing with. But having mages who can output decent melee damage is invaluable for most of the game, really.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
In honesty, it really just depends on what I'm dealing with. But having mages who can output decent melee damage is invaluable for most of the game, really.

No arguments there. I'll throw whatever !equip I have available until you get something just too good to pass up.

Monks and Red Mages are basically the only two classes that start good and end not so good, though Red Mages can be saved of course if you have another magic school that can be used with dualcast, that's all I'm really saying.

Watch me get Monk again multiple times this year for all the dissing, I still love this class but man I wouldn't mind not getting them ever again.

Emitan

I'd really love to see a version of this for FFVI. Maybe you can only use certain espers or something.

I realize FFV is perfectly suited to this kind of contest but I like VI more :V

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'd really love to see a version of this for FFVI. Maybe you can only use certain espers or something.

I realize FFV is perfectly suited to this kind of contest but I like VI more :V

There are tons of fan made variations of FF VI but nothing quite as randomly fun as this.

Top Bottom