• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2014: That Classic Taste [now ending]

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
lgEZ7ei.png

LaxBK5c.png

2tCAH68.gif

Welcome to the NeoGAF thread for the Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2014!

The official page can be found here.

Gilgabot, the official Twitter Bot for the fiesta, is found here.

Hashtag: #FF5FJF2014

This is an event for Child's Play Charity! By making pledges and donations you can affect you and I play the game! And of course raise money for a good cause!

Schedule
June 1 to June 16: Preregistration
June 14, 15: The Run
June 16 - August 31: Play! Play! Play! Get your #victory in!

What is the Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2014?
You play Final Fantasy Five, the best Final Fantasy game. The only difference is, you are allowed only four jobs, one from each crystal. And they are randomly assigned to you. When you beat Exdeath, your picture must show all four of those jobs being used to qualify you as a winner.

Spell that out for me in lots of small words.
As you play Final Fantasy Five, jobs are unlocked at certain parts of the game. The wind crystal, water crystal, fire crystal and earth crystal. When you unlock the wind, water, fire and earth crystal jobs, send a tweet to @FF5ForFutures with #wind, #water, #fire or #earth respectively. You will then be informed of your new job!

What versions of FF5 are acceptable?
Any. GBA or iOS are recommended. GBA for it being the best version, iOS because heck, screen capturing could not be easier. And it is cheap. Comparatively.

But I have no no way to screen cap!
A picture taken with your friend's partner's mother's feature phone and then uploaded to your local Internet is okay.

Can I use the extra jobs in FFVa?
Were they assigned to you?
No, you cannot.

What if I have never played FF5 before?
It is cool, you can still sign up.
This is not the recommend way to play the first time. But, no one is stopping you from trying.

I have random number generators! Why do I need you?
Because I love you, and so does Gilgabot. And we raise money for charity. Child’s Play! We raised $7475.60 last year, and forced me (revenantkioku) to play through Final Fantasy 12.

What is rk going to do this year if a lot of money is raised
What could be worse than playing FF12? That's right, Final Fantasy Tactics! Break $10,000 and he will play that and stream it!

Twitter is a crime! Let me do it some other way!
I am terribly sorry, but Twitter makes automating this much easier and open to a wide array of people. Twitter requires no personal information, you could easily make a junk account and use it entirely for the Fiesta. If you delete your account or change your name, though, things will get funky and not work as nicely. Many lovely people on Twitter began their Twitter-Life with the Fiesta. Why not you?

My twitter account is private!
Gilgabot will not be able to see your tweets until you follow him and he also follows you. So you will have to either notify me somehow or I will be checking for private accounts following Gilgabot as frequently as I can (maybe once a day). It would be easiest if you made another Fiesta-only account. You like things to be easy, right?

What if I do not get any tweets back?
Gilgabot works on a schedule and will respond to tweets when and if it is able. Should ten or fifteen minutes go by, do not resend the tweet, but let revenantkioku know. He will look into it and if something is really funky - and by funky I mean smells not so sweet - he will manually set you up. It just may take a while if that is the case, but it should not be.
Gilgabot can get overloaded. This happens. The Fiesta can get kind of crazy. Try to calm down and get your jobs when you are playing, not just because you can. Outside of the opening rush, however, stuff should be fine. Emphasis on the stuff even though it should be on the should.

Is RK doing a run this year?
No! Would you believe twenty-four hour streams can be a crazy thing to organize?
But lovely speedrunners puwexil and dragondarch are! It is a competition! They will be streaming part 1 of The Run on Saturday, June 14 and if there is no winner decided that day they will finish it on Sunday, June 15.
Vote for their jobs here: http://fourjobfiesta.com/therun.php
Follow them on The Twitch!
http://twitch.tv/puwexil/
http://twitch.tv/dragondarchsda

Are there any goals?
Yup! Donation incentives for The Run are:
$500: ᕦ(° Д°)ᕤ PIANO FLEX ᕦ(° Д°)ᕤ Both players must play every piano and flex each time.

$1000: Hi, Gilgamesh! Both players must do all Gilgamesh fights.

$2000: Final Savepoint Both players must defeat Necrophobe.

$3000: Legendary Weapons Both players must collect all four tablets and all twelve legendary weapons.

Any new rules?
Yup!
All of the old modes are still here but now #RegFF1 lets you play like you were playing FF5 as FF1 for some reason. That reason being you are cool.

Contest Rules

Runs

Normal Run (#reg)

Players will be assigned one class from each crystal. Until all four classes are unlocked, players are only permitted to use the classes they have currently unlocked. Bare/Suppin/Freelance can only be used until the Wind Crystal job is unlocked.

Random Run
Ih8HsCc.png
(#regrand)

Players will be assigned one class from any of the available jobs when new jobs are unlocked. As above, Bare/Suppin/Freelance can only be used until the Wind Jobs are obtained.

Team 750
QVBjKUE.png
(#reg750)

Players will be be assigned jobs that can only break rods or jobs that are similar in play style and theme.

xlBHpnt.png
ZNVnkUf.png
hrMLbD1.png
gLunrpP.png
jqPg3xz.png
EtEO2uy.png
8GmMmCi.png
2pm57Nt.png
jllcItN.png
YG6OZ5T.png

Team No 750
kwtZHVu.png
(#regno750)

Players will only be assigned jobs that cannot break rods and follow within that play style and theme.

akSyFTs.png
2dECfYw.png
Qrg665T.png
Q973A64.png
FAT2GFL.png
a71ETfU.png
Mnvbb9y.png
NBMP8fv.png
hdPkCXj.png
pWvRmrf.png

Classic Jobs
Zm3FjOJ.png
(#regff1)

Players will be assigned jobs that were only in the original Final Fantasy. Dupilcates (up to four, even!) can be assigned. Only Red Mage is maxed out at 3 because it is a Water Crystal Job.
Classic Jobs Runs are Natural Runs by default.
No BERSERKERRISK.
Qrg665T.png
akSyFTs.png
Qrg665T.png
EtEO2uy.png
xlBHpnt.png
ZNVnkUf.png

Natural
txAys6K.png
(#natural)

Natural can be added to any run. To do so either tweet #natural to Gilgabot after registering or include it in your registration tweet. What this means it that you intend on playing with these extra rules in mind.

1. Bartz must use the Wind crystal job exclusively. Lenna the Water, Faris the Fire and Galuf/Krile the Earth.
2. If you are playing a mode other than Normal you simply assign the job listed in that slot on the players page for your job.
3. Characters must remain Freelancer until their job is unlocked. Team No 750 players must not break rods.
4. Characters may not use skills from other jobs. This means no giving Black Magic to Bards and the like. Only skills learned naturally from the one assigned job may be used.

BERSERKER RISK
FAT2GFL.png
(#BERSERKERRISK)

BERSERKER RISK can be added to any run to give the player a chance of getting the Berseker job assigned to their Water, Fire or Earth Crystal slots. The only difference is that a Normal run will have their Water Job set to Berserker instead of any other slot. To do so either tweet #BERSERKERRISK to Gilgabot after registering or include it in your registration tweet. When the fiesta starts, for every $10 of donations, one player with BERSERKER RISK will get another Berserker. If there are more Berserkers to hand out than players with BERSERKER RISK players will end up with multiple Berserkers. This is the only way in the Fiesta to end up with a duplicate job. Once the fiesta has started, BERSERKER RISK is no longer an option.

Both Natural and BERSERKER RISK may be added to a run. Except Classic Jobs Runs.

Any questions? Leave them! I will try my best to answer them.

CLARIFICATIONS
Every $10 in donations before the Fiesta starts means one person with Berserker Risk gets an extra Berserker.
Normal Run players will get it as their Water Job.
Random or Team No 750 (Or Team 750, but that would be weird to register that way. You COULD. I am not stopping you. But.) they get their Berserker assigned to any non-Wind slot.
Natural works with any. You just apply the job assigned to that crystal slot to that character.

The list of all available commands responds to is available here.

Yay! Classic sounds like a neat twist.

I finally decided to try a random run this year. For Puxweil's run, I voted for WM/Ber/Geo/Sam (my party in my first fiesta a few years back), and for Dragondarch's run I voted for Thi/RM/Bst/Drg (for no particular reason).

Heropon

I haven't decided yet what kind of run I'll do but I'm leaning towards doing a normal run without berserker risk. I had enough of them last year and their sucky brothers the red mages.

Here we go, I guess.
pBZ3eGd.png

It's nice that classic exists, I suppose, but I don't see myself registering for it at any point this year.

Iorv3th

Would you guys recommend the ps1 version? Was thinking of getting it on vita. Though I don't want to if it turns out to be like chrono trigger with bad load times etc. May end up getting it on android.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Did they fix it so that it works on the Vita?

Would you guys recommend the ps1 version? Was thinking of getting it on vita. Though I don't want to if it turns out to be like chrono trigger with bad load times etc. May end up getting it on android.
It's not a Chrono Trigger level of fail, but the little load times start to add up when you're entering hundreds of battles.

If you just have to play it on something that says Sony on the front, go for it, but I would probably suggest any other version.

Iorv3th

Don't know but listed as vita

. If it doesn't then good thing I asked here before buying it.

It's not a Chrono Trigger level of fail, but the little load times start to add up when you're entering hundreds of battles.

If you just have to play it on something that says Sony on the front, go for it, but I would probably suggest any other version.

Thanks. Still not sure I like those sprites though on mobile version.

I am downloading it now on my vita, will report back with news once it is finished.

Indeed it does, I believe it was fixed for vita a few months ago.

edit: After some testing between my vita and Android version, I'd say the android is much much better. Load times in and out of combat were about ~4-5 seconds, with the android being at 1 second or less. Load times between levels were about even, but the combat one is a killer, imo.

W.T. Fits

Neo Member
Yes, it actually runs on the Vita now. I started a warm-up run a few days ago and it's been playing just fine, though there have been a few points where the text boxes lagged whenever I was trying to mash X to get through them.

Sadly, since it's a PSOne Classic, the Vita's built-in screencap function doesn't work on it, so you'll still need another device to take your victory photos.

aw yeah! 'tis the season.

signed up for #regff1 earlier today but not sure if I actually want to go through with getting duplicate classes without being able to use abilities from other classes. probably will though.

Heropon

I've tried a little the Vita version and there are loading times everywhere: prebattle, postbattle, opening menus, etc. I don't know why I bought it on PSN or how I could endure the PS version back then when I played it for the first time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm sure it "runs" as well on Vita as it does on the other platforms that version runs on.

At least PS2 with fast mode enabled caused the game to not run at all, saving me a lot of pain in the end.

I've tried a little the Vita version and there are loading times everywhere: prebattle, postbattle, opening menus, etc. I don't know why I bought it on PSN or how I could the PS version back then when I played it for the first time.

Honestly this is one of the less severe problems with this version. This version of the game is well known to crash during saving or returning from menus in certain places, the music is awful in places, and if you're playing in English you're playing one of the dullest and most confusing localizations ever produced.

SkyOdin

I'm registered! Here's hoping for a team that doesn't have Chemist this year. I've gotten it twice so far, and while I appreciate what it can do, I need more of a challenge and a change. If I beat this go in a timely manner this year (hah!) I might try for a classic/natural run.

I'm registered! Here's hoping for a team that doesn't have Chemist this year. I've gotten it twice so far, and while I appreciate what it can do, I need more of a challenge and a change. If I beat this go in a timely manner this year (hah!) I might try for a classic/natural run.

I still have yet to random into a chemist. Part of this is that I like going Random (or "hard mode" two years ago; changed because it really, really isn't) which has drastically reduced chances of getting one, but even my normal runs haven't gotten a single one yet.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My missing classes have gone down quite a bit in the last two years. I only have Red Mage and Blue Mage left.

I'm aiming to play through...six times this year. 2 Berserker Risks, 2 regular, 1 classic, then one something else.

Heropon

My missing classes are White Mage, Mystic Knight, Geomancer, Beastmaster and Dragoon.

A few days ago I tried using a Geomancer and it's worse than I thought so I'm actually lucky that I haven't got one yet. It can go to hell.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Geomancer is rough as fuck on Natural. With the right skills they are actually pretty good and I love walking over lava in Exdeath's castle.

The Rune Chime is also the best weapon for a ton of magical classes and equip bell is viable. Terrain is a slow but steady way to kill Neo Exdeath all at once. They are definitely in the bottom end of classes but they aren't so bad. I wouldn't want two of them in a random game, I certainly wouldn't want even one in a natural game.

Heropon

Geomancer is rough as fuck on Natural. With the right skills they are actually pretty good and I love walking over lava in Exdeath's castle.

I suppose that was the main reason for my hatred. I used a Thief, a Berserker and a Samurai and except for having another Zeninage or Steal user the synergy was almost nonexistent with the other classes.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
BERSERKER EQUIP BELL, BERSERKER SMASH!

Equip Katana is probably best out of those, but hey, that's not an awful party.

Berserker has Equip Katana and Artful Dodger to play around with, You could get the Samurai to instant steal in world 3 with the masamune, you could take your time and get a gaia hammer off of titan if you wanted to...and you can take no damage walking over exdeath's lava filled demon castle floors!

LuffyZoro

Almost made it last year, not quite. I was fighting Neo Exdeath as time ran out. I think I can do it this year though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Almost made it last year, not quite. I was fighting Neo Exdeath as time ran out. I think I can do it this year though.

Once you have the basics down you can easily beat most fiesta runs in 20-30 hours. Very doable in the amount of time given. I was busy as I've been in a long time last summer and beat it five times.

Heropon

BERSERKER EQUIP BELL, BERSERKER SMASH!

Equip Katana is probably best out of those, but hey, that's not an awful party.

Berserker has Equip Katana and Artful Dodger to play around with, You could get the Samurai to instant steal in world 3 with the masamune, you could take your time and get a gaia hammer off of titan if you wanted to...and you can take no damage walking over exdeath's lava filled demon castle floors!

I actually didn't care about that little advantage thanks to having a Thief. It doesn't matter if you have 1HP at the start of each battle if you can run instantly.

I don't understand how you can give a bell to berserker. Geomancer doesn't even have the decency of sharing his toys with other classes.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Does equip bell not exist and I'm thinking of Freelancers again?

I probably am. Yep.

Maybe I can play it off as a weird joke. Oh no, I'm typing it out.

Equip Bell, something you might actually want, isn't a real ability.

LuffyZoro

Once you have the basics down you can easily beat most fiesta runs in 20-30 hours. Very doable in the amount of time given. I was busy as I've been in a long time last summer and beat it five times.

I beat it the year before last. Really, the only problem I had last year was that I took like a month off in the middle where I didn't play at all.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I beat it the year before last. Really, the only problem I had last year was that I took like a month off in the middle where I didn't play at all.

I took almost two months off when I was doing my 3rd and 4th runs to beat SMT IV, EO IV, take a vacation and babysit my one year old nephew for a week. Then I beat the game three times in the final two weeks or so.

It's a pain when you're scheduling your free time and suddenly find yourself running against a leisure time deadline though.

Ourobolus

Banned
IqBiybT.png

Damn, I still have 2 from each crystal I'm missing.

I guess it doesn't really matter if I do random or not, I guess.

EDIT: Man, I'm a Blue Mage/Berserker magnet.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've had...my share of Berserker. Had one each year since the beginning. Still haven't gotten smacked by the berserker risk yet though, having been under it 3 times so far and had very excellent teams with 1 Berserker each.

Beastmaster is the only class I've had more.

Ourobolus

Banned
I've had...my share of Berserker. Had one each year since the beginning. Still haven't gotten smacked by the berserker risk yet though, having been under it 3 times so far and had very excellent teams with 1 Berserker each.

Beastmaster is the only class I've had more.

You gonna give classic a go? It looks interesting, but...eh. I think I'll stick with Normal/Natural/Risk.

Urf, even 750/no750 doesn't really make any difference for my classes.

Taruranto

My body is ready.

Probably will go with Team No 750, 'cause fuck BLU 2 times in a row, makes the game a walk in the park. :/

wf9cA95.jpg

I know I will regret this. :C

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You gonna give classic a go? It looks interesting, but...eh. I think I'll stick with Normal/Natural/Risk.

Urf, even 750/no750 doesn't really make much difference for my classes.

Two Berserker Risks, Classic, Two Normal runs.

No idea what I'm going to add to the Berserker Risk yet. Random on one I think, straight on the other.

Natural isn't really my thing but who knows? Natural Berserker Risk is asking for it.

750 is easy mode/ no 750 is pretty variable but I got an insanely powerful party running it last year.

Ourobolus

Banned
Two Berserker Risks, Classic, Two Normal runs.

No idea what I'm going to add to the Berserker Risk yet. Random on one I think, straight on the other.

Natural isn't really my thing but who knows? Natural Berserker Risk is asking for it.

750 is easy mode/ no 750 is pretty variable but I got an insanely powerful party running it last year.

Ah, I missed your earlier post. Whoops.
Yeah, 750 is ridiculously easy. My No750 team wasn't too bad last year, but it can be rough.

I decided on Natural/Normal/Risk. I have one 750 and one No750 class for each crystal I haven't had, so it's just a roll of the dice. Most of them break the game though. But the Berserkers are always a wild card...

Link Man

Banned
Registered a normal berserker risk. They're actually pretty nice at times. Penetration and no confusion helps.

Oh, and their ATB bar doesn't stop when they die.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If I don't get red mage or blue mage in the first five runs this year I'll run 750/random/classic rotations until I get them both! Classic should get me Red Mage fairly quickly (not that I want a natural red mage but it's not that bad, I've soloed with them before) and I have to run the odds on getting a Blue Mage (750 is 1/3, random is 1/6 but with a good chance of getting one if that misses) so I might alternate those.

Registered a normal berserker risk. They're actually pretty nice at times. Penetration and no confusion helps.

Oh, and their ATB bar doesn't stop when they die.

I would have no problems with Berserkers at all if one or all of these things were met.

1. They are too damn slow. They should be Mystic Knight fast considering you can't control them.

2. Axes are inaccurate. I know they penetrate and can do fantastic damage but being slow and having an inaccurate weapon? Come on son.

3. They can't be berserked for extra damage. Sure, they already are beserked but why not give them a free extra boost to make up for their shortcomings?

FF X-2 did a remarkable job fixing these problems by giving them all those counter moves, another great solution. Out of my suggestions 1 would be enough for me, 3 would have been hilarious and really fun in Fiesta challenges and 2 is just something to deal with.

Jaykay

Signed up for a normal run. I haven't done a full playthrough of this game in years, so I can't wait to embarrass myself on stream with this.

It's that time again! Last year was my first Fiesta and my first time beating FF5, so I'm excited that it's time to try again this year. I'm not 100% sure how I want to play this time, but I'm leaning towards Random this year. Still a little too much of a pansy to go Berserker Risk. My White Mage/Summoner/Ninja/Dancer team was pretty effective, so I'm anxious to see if things will shake up this year. I streamed it last year, which was fun, but I doubt I will this year. I'll be sure to keep up with updates in the thread though!

Also as a public service announcement to anyone who may be considering playing the GBA version, please look into the sound restoration patch, which makes the GBA version sound more like the SNES version. Like RK, I prefer the GBA version for almost everything but the soundtrack award goes to the SNES version. The sound patch helps you get the best of both worlds.

Ultratech

That time of year again, eh?

I skipped last year because I had a lot on my plate, but I'll likely join in the festivities again this year.

BTW, random question: How come Ninja isn't included in the Classic Jobs?
I mean, it WAS in FF1.

ff1classes.gif

I'm missing four: Thief, Time Mage, Beastmaster, Chemist. I've thought about running those four -- I think it's even one per crystal -- but eh, I'll get them some year.

I'm almost assured of getting Thief if I'm going #regff1

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm missing four: Thief, Time Mage, Beastmaster, Chemist. I've thought about running those four -- I think it's even one per crystal -- but eh, I'll get them some year.

I'm almost assured of getting Thief if I'm going #regff1

You could get all of those in one normal run!

I keep telling myself it's going to happen, and then I get WM for the 4th or 5th time!

Still disappointed there's no option that just gives you any class. If you get later crystals and have to okay freelancer for a while, that's fine. You unlock classes so darn fast anyway.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
before pre registration ends I'd say the hardest possible challenge has to be:

Team No 750
Natural Only
Berserker Risk
Final Destination.

Still disappointed there's no option that just gives you any class. If you get later crystals and have to okay freelancer for a while, that's fine. You unlock classes so darn fast anyway.

I was actually expecting this as the natural evolution of Random. True Random mode: If the job doesn't come up from the crystal you get you remain as your previous available jobs. So the WC job comes up as Samurai you keep rolling with four freelancers, if your water crystal job comes up Knight then bam, 4 knights, if your fire crystal job comes up Dragoon then bam, still four knights and when your Earth job comes up you'd switch it so all four jobs were correct. Would make world one interesting, would help get some of the later jobs into the hands of people while keeping it random, also adds a slight touch of difficulty if people end up having to roll all the way to archeoavis with 4 thieves or white mages, or even four berserkers!

neoemonk

I did random/natural last year. Thinking on going for one of the 750 runs this year. Which is harder? 750 or no 750? I'm guessing no 750 but just want to be sure.

Top Bottom