• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2015: It's beginning to look a lot like chaos!

Exhumed

Was on vacation so didn't have time to play but finally got Archeoavis. 4 blue mages made him cake. Dark sparks, missles, flamethrower, aqua breath. 2nd form lvl 5 death. Cake!

Well my final team is Blue Mage, Dragoon, Dragoon, and Dancer. What are my chances gaf?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Was on vacation so didn't have time to play but finally got Archeoavis. 4 blue mages made him cake. Dark sparks, missles, flamethrower, aqua breath. 2nd form lvl 5 death. Cake!

Well my final team is Blue Mage, Dragoon, Dragoon, and Dancer. What are my chances gaf?

Blue Mage alone means you should beat the game.

Dancer will make it easier with Dance/Sword Dance.

Dragoons will do Dragoon things, I guess?

AxelRyman

Neo Member
Tanky Dancer with Bone Mail and Blue Mage using White Wind to do all the healing for you. Dragoons stay up in the air while Blue Mage just does Blue Mage things till game is begging to end.

Exhumed

Tanky Dancer with Bone Mail and Blue Mage using White Wind to do all the healing for you. Dragoons stay up in the air while Blue Mage just does Blue Mage things till game is begging to end.

How do you get white wind with this team though? No white mage to confuse or control!.

ultimos

Neo Member
Once you get the Brave Blade or the Chicken Knife, are its stats permanently set, or will you continue to raise/lower the stats of the Chicken Knife/Brave Blade by running?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Once you get the Brave Blade or the Chicken Knife, are its stats permanently set, or will you continue to raise/lower the stats of the Chicken Knife/Brave Blade by running?

They change until they reach their minimum/maximum, whether you have them or not.

How do you get white wind with this team though? No white mage to confuse or control!.

Dance has tempting tango which confuses the target.

zashga

I put off killing Exdeath for a couple weeks, but he finally got his. This party does ridiculous DPS; I didn't have much trouble killing the middle section before it could cast Amalgest. The last section did wipe 3/4 of the party with meteor, though. Exdeath is a jerk every year.

ZGFzgou.png

Thanks again to RK for running the event this year. Until next time!

I went kinda overboard this year:

u3ehD4uh.jpg

I somehow still haven't gotten White Mage/Summoner/Monk this year. Decided to try #regrand to see if I could induce Gilgabot to give me some early game jobs and not boring-ass Dragoon again - nope! Well, at least I don't have an Earth job for the first time in a dozen tries. Time for one more run!

JC Lately

Yeah, I think I'm done. I can't beat this guy. He kills two guys right away, and if I revive them he just kills them again. So I have to kill him before he swallows those two people up, then repeats the process. Jobs are Dancer, Bard, Blue Mage, and Berseker. Tried all the blue magic I've got it and at most it does 300 damage a turn, or doesn't work at all. Tried putting it to sleep with Time Slip, Berserker just hits him and wakes him up. Tried entering the flight with the Beserker dead already, put him to sleep, trie killing him with magic, and i run out of magic so I have to attack him physically. He wakes up and the cycle repeats.

What am I doing wrong, GAF?

Leave one guy dead and it'll get much easier.

edit: kill off the berserker, put him to sleep and hit him with dance endlessly until he's dead. use your -ra spells if you don't have !dance yet.

JC Lately

Tried that. Can't kill it fast enough before he swallows that person up, kills someone else and repeats the process. Only now I have one less person to hit it with.

Sleep will stop him from sucking them in at all. Try Sleep with the RM.

edit: whoops, misread! do this: hit him with dark shock (I think that's its name - it halves level) and then l5 death.

JC Lately

edit: whoops, misread! do this: hit him with dark shock (I think that's its name - it halves level) and then l5 death.

Huh. Well, that was easy. Thanks!

I tried Dark Spark before and it never hit. Guess i should have kept trying?

Anyway, I have two weeks to finish after napping on the fiesta for the last month. I need to get my ass in gear!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Going ahead with my chaos run with all the jobs opened up from the start.

Wind job is summoner. This is going to be interesting.

One way to start a run.
Db0Dtjt.png

Grinding for money for potions got me to level 8, which was enough to make Karlabos pretty easy even with just a dagger, a knife, and some fists.

Also had me strong enough to grind relatively easily at the beginning of the ship graveyard. Got to level 10 (and lv 3 summon) as I got the 4th dagger.

Siren went down more easily than I expected. Got a couple rounds of attacks in at 60ish damage before protect popped up. Then once she transformed normal attacks were painful but not deadly and potions finished her off.

Just leaves Magissa before I can get some summons and turn the tables.

Magissa down, Forza nowhere to be seen. I actually expected that to be difficult. Attacked 5 or 6 times, then broke the frost rod. Proved to be overkill, but I'll take it. Onward to Walse, and summons!

Unsurprisingly, Summoner takes out Garula easily. Remora paralyzes it, and Chocobo deals solid damage, especially if you get a fat one.

Water job, Berserker. Not bad.

Upgraded equipment in Karnak and got Shiva. Will continue tomorrow. Fire ship and the library should be really easy with summoner.

Karnak region was easy with Summoner. Liquid Flame falls to little more than a broken frost rod. Boosted Shiva against Ifrit. Boosted Ifrit against Byblos. Not only got the Elven Mantle and Main Gauche, but the Ribbon (just in case) and most of the Elixirs, since Summoner is awesome in the castle.

Dragoon as the Fire job. Doesn't really add much, but it's kind of interesting since it's almost intended. A spear is available for sale in Karnak after the Fire Ship, and an even better one - that hits the weakness of an upcoming boss - is available in Jachol. With a Thief you can also steal a Javelin in the desert, so that's three spears available between the fire and earth crystals. Lance will be nice for the Summoner to regain some MP, I guess.

Managed to get a Death Sickle on my first Harvester enemy. No complaints here!

Getting that ribbon was wise, Earth job is Dancer.

Summoner/Berserker/Dragoon/Dancer. Not bad.

Paralyze works on a surprising number of things. Including Titan. It doesn't save you from this though.
jHoq76Q.png

Actually, I guess it does and my timing was just bad that time. Beat him without the counter activating.

9DeVasu.png

No kidding. That took several attempts, was starting to think I might need to grind to get my HP up since I am only level 13. Got one last Titan summon in and it was enough to finish him.

Quite dead here. Might finish my run in this post.

Second world isn't too dense, content-wise. Ran from everything almost the entire time. Did a little grinding in Bal basement but not much. Dragon Pod went down to the Death Sickle. Surprisingly, Gilgamesh on the ship followed soon after, with Enkidu not even making an appearance.

Spent time in the Barrier Tower to get a couple reflect rings, which got me to level 18/19. With a bit of luck I slayed the red dragon guarding the gold hairpin, so my summoner's efficiency improved. Atomos was easy as usual, just spammed Titan and it went down.

Barrier tower prepared me well for the crystals. Everyone in the back row, reflect rings on summoner and berserker. Summoner used golem when necessary and had !lance to refill MP. Berserker swung the death sickle and slowly but surely inflicted death. The other two defended until they got murdered by magic. Earth and water were the only threats, and one they were gone I was guaranteed to win.

Got Catoblepas. Probably the third hardest fight in world 2 after Gilgamesh on the bridge and the red dragon. Poison damage from the poison axe helped.

Will give the Gil Turtle a go then head off to Exdeath's Castle. Summoner should beat it with golem and Shiva, but I'll have to track its HP so I can make sure to jump to survive the earthquake at the end.

JWuuYN5.png

Expensive, but done. Had to KO the Berserker because the attacks did little damage and invoked unnecessary counters.

Took a LOT of Shiva summons. Roughly 70, which itself took a good amount of MP, but I had to keep Golem up on top of that. I wasn't perfectly successful with that so I had to drop a number of phoenix downs. Ran out of ethers, and had to resort to a couple elixirs near the end.

My count had the HP down to 105, so I had the dragoon leap for safety, summoned Shiva one more time, and got it.

7MqFfdq.png

First half the fight is the hard part. Second part was easily countered by golem and carbuncle.

Did everything worth doing in world 3 with this lot. Wasn't much. Chicken Knife, Phantom Village, Lamp, a few legendary weapons (Rune Axe rocks with !Summon), Syldra. Did the Island Shrine and Fork Tower for the Wonder Wand. Got it up to Berserk, so I should be able to beat Shinryu with that.

Just need to do some job grinding, once I figure out what end-game setup I want. Not too much to share here. Probably going to give Equip Ribbons to the Summoner and Berserker, and Summon to the Dragoon and Dancer.

Probably passing on Omega. I have no way to avoid Encircle as far as I know. If I use Bonemail I can avoid dying to Blaster, but I die to consecutive wave cannons since I can't heal unless Omega hits me with fire. If I don't wear the Bonemail I can heal after Wave Cannons but die to Blaster.

It's theoretically possible I guess, but I don't want to sit here and keep trying until that <0.1% attempt happens where Omega never hits with Blaster or Encircle.

Fortunately Shinryu should be easier. Berserk it immediately and spam Golem. The hardest part will be constantly resetting to steal a Dragon Lance in the castle section.

After 18 attempts at stealing a Dragon Lance, I succeeded. So I was able to proceed. Rift bosses are a bunch of jokers, so skipping by them...

vcLpwcj.png

This wasn't any harder. Shinryu isn't threatening when Berserked against four* characters with Summon. Damage was through the roof so it didn't take long to kill it either. Dragon Lance jumps hitting 4200+, Rune Axe probably averaging 2200, Sword Dance at 5500+.

Kind of glad I won on my first try. Was confident enough that I didn't even bother beating Necrophobe yet and just jumped right into the Shinryu fight with no prep**.

*Berserker's summon just adds damage for the Rune Axe, but it is there!
**Excluding getting the Wonder Wand set to Berserk previously.

Neo Exdeath should be pretty easy. I'll probably leave the Berserker set to offense (Summon) instead of defense (Equip Ribbons). If it doesn't work out I'll swap.

JEAvth8.png

So easy I did it twice. He got a turn in between my attacks when I finished the last two parts and killed Lenna. Unacceptable. So I did it again and everyone lived happily ever after.

Can't say this was a set of jobs I expected to be ridiculously good, but it was. Average level of 22 is my lowest so far.

-----------
Blaaaah. Deadline approaches... one more. Flipped a randomizer and it told me to do a random run (bias, perhaps?). Blue Mage. Yeah, I should be able to finish in time.

Thief. Steals are cool. No back attacks is cool. Fleeing is super cool. Thanx mr crystal.

Ninja. RIP Shinryu. And basically every other boss.

White Mage. Don't really need it but white magic might come in handy at some point.

graywords

Only a few days left!

Figured I needed to get back on track with this, so started pushing through World 2 with my Ninjas and Dragoons. Wasn't too terrible until I got to the Crystals. My first attempt got down to the last one easily, then it managed to get two aeros off and we were all dead. :/ I ended up having to math them to death (push them down to just over 3k hp then burst damage), which isn't the most fun, but it worked.

Exdeath destroyed me once as well, but after I boosted to a non-lv3 multiple it didn't go terrible. All Image, all the time. Got lucky and nobody got zombied, and he was kind enough to go easy on the -ga spells and heavy on the Vacuum Waves.

Now to try and push through World 3 on a busy weekend, and hope I can figure out the rest of the bosses easily enough without magic...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What can you confuse for float in world 2? I thought there was something but it's slipping my mind. Without float Gil Turtle's earthquake is a dead end.

Up to Exdeath's Castle. Could have probably about finished the game if not for the meddling turtle and his earthquake.

Only a few days left!

Figured I needed to get back on track with this, so started pushing through World 2 with my Ninjas and Dragoons. Wasn't too terrible until I got to the Crystals. My first attempt got down to the last one easily, then it managed to get two aeros off and we were all dead. :/ I ended up having to math them to death (push them down to just over 3k hp then burst damage), which isn't the most fun, but it worked.

Exdeath destroyed me once as well, but after I boosted to a non-lv3 multiple it didn't go terrible. All Image, all the time. Got lucky and nobody got zombied, and he was kind enough to go easy on the -ga spells and heavy on the Vacuum Waves.

Now to try and push through World 3 on a busy weekend, and hope I can figure out the rest of the bosses easily enough without magic...

With two Ninjas you should be fine. Scrolls are great, water in particular is useful since it isn't used often for either weakness or resist. Fire and Thunder will get absorbed or nullified by quite a few things, but also hit some weaknesses.

Kept a save at the Gil Turtle since it doesn't count for the fiesta anyway and moseyed on. At the rift, hopefully I didn't forget anything. Should beat the game at level 19/20 barring something going wrong. Would have been 18/19 if not for some inescapable encounters and a few chest enemies.

White Magic > Shinryu.
H8ocq7T.png

Ytpuz5C.png

Almagest was the only annoying part. Couldn't kill it in time so I had to get lucky and wait for the Blue Mage with the Aegis Shield to survive, then recover. Took four tries, but once I survived it everything from there was easy.

Could honestly do another one if I get that lucky with jobs again. Managed to be both my lowest level and fastest run.

graywords

With two Ninjas you should be fine. Scrolls are great, water in particular is useful since it isn't used often for either weakness or resist. Fire and Thunder will get absorbed or nullified by quite a few things, but also hit some weaknesses.

Nice job with the low-level finish!

Thanks for the tidbit about the water scrolls; they were super useful while grinding in the Castle in the Rift.

Run completed! The great Rear Admiral &#65304;&#12524;&#12498;&#12498;&#65301; and his team managed to butt in and take down that evil cheeky bum, Neo Exdeath.

2015%20FF5FJF%20Exdeath_small.jpg

2015%20FF5FJF%20Team_small.jpg

This was my first completion this year, and my third total after my two runs last year.

This was also the first time I beat it with no magic at all, and without getting all of the tablets (only snagged 2 for the best daggers, Holy Lance, and the best swords to Throw).

Some of the really tough parts for me:

Catastrophe - With no way to Float or avoid earthquake damage, this one was tough for me. Ended up slapping my Hermes Sandals on my heaviest damage dealer (Dragoon w/Holy Lance) and waiting for RNG gods to smile upon me. Got him on the 2nd shot once I started with this strat, after dying 5-6 times before that.

Twintania - I could not for the life of me manage to time my dragoon jumps properly to not die to either Gigaflare or random nasty tidal wave + blizzard with no break between them. After several failures, I changed strategies, moved the Hermes Sandals to the Ninja with the Assassin Dagger, and sat there waiting for the boss to start Gigaflare charge. Thankfully, the dagger did its insta-death job on the first try after that. Whew.

Necrophobe - Skipped him. Screw him. He can rot in the Rift.

Neo Exdeath - Got to him at level 35, and he tore me a new one. Couldn't bring my party back up after Almagest, even with one Aegis shield blocker. Went ahead and did some grinding up to 38, which gave me just enough edge to win. Magic Lamp for rear portion, tore through the Almagest portion first with lots of Throws and Jumps (it still got one cast off), then slowly burned down the last two pieces alternately. It helped a lot that I had worked over the Jura Aevises for two Dragon Lances. Also, huzzah for Image.

Chaos was definitely interesting. I hope it sticks around for next year.

graywords

Another year, another failure. Sigh.

It's okay, Exdeath is a complete jerk. My first year/first try, I only managed to beat him through sheer luck after like 6 attempts, thanks to a Zombie'd party member accidentally tanking nearly all of his hits/spells in the last phase. You'll get him next year!

Another year, another failure. Sigh.

Here's an extremely easy way to beat him:
Cast Lv. 2 Old, and then keep casting Lv. 5 Death. If you time it right, you should be able to hit him when the Old status reduces his Level to a *5 or *0. If you don't have Lv. 2 OId, you can get it from the Magic Dragon/Reflect Mage mob on the lower floors, though you may have to confuse the Magic Dragon with a Dancer or Bard (And have your Blue Mage or Learning character at an even-numbered level) to get it to cast the spell.

If you want to grab Lv. 3 Flare from Exdeath, then you could probably use my strategy of letting Old drop Exdeath down to Lv. 1 so that his Physicals don't pose a threat, waiting for him to cast it (making sure it hits your suitably leveled Blue Mage or Learning character), using Mighty Guard and Swift Song to buff the party in the meantime. You may have to knock out your Berserker at the start so that they accidentally don't lower Exdeath's HP to his second/third phases. When you get Lv. 3 Flare, revive your Berserker and Blue Mage, then go all out with boosted (by the Air Knife) Aerogas.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Exdeath was owning my final run party of Two Berserkers, a Time Mage, and a Geomancer. Took four tries. Luckily I thought it through and got two Staffs of Light before showing up. Three would have made it dead simple.

This is kinda late but...does anyone (RK pls) know if Gilgabot works after today? Or is today the last day to get jobs from him? Haven't been able to play this summer but would love to get a run in later this month. If it closes today I'll just tweet for all 4 jobs and take it from there.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
This is kinda late but...does anyone (RK pls) know if Gilgabot works after today? Or is today the last day to get jobs from him? Haven't been able to play this summer but would love to get a run in later this month. If it closes today I'll just tweet for all 4 jobs and take it from there.

Once the fiesta ends Gilgabot will just tell you to wait for it to start again, so if you want to use it to get jobs you will need to do it before then.

There are other job randomizers though, or you can just do it yourself with your own rules using any random number generator.

Once the fiesta ends Gilgabot will just tell you to wait for it to start again, so if you want to use it to get jobs you will need to do it before then.

There are other job randomizers though, or you can just do it yourself with your own rules using any random number generator.

Thanks for the reply, time to roll!

Finished my second run with Time/Time/Summoner/Dancer. This party made most bosses a cake walk. Once I powered up the Chicken Knife Sword Dance just rolled through most things. I ended up beating the game with everyone at level 27 which is by far my lowest level I've beaten the game at. Neo Exdeath was a joke with Magic Lamp, Catoblepas, Golem and Ribbons. I think I barely took damage through the fight. I'm done playing FF5 for a year but I'll be ready next year for another run.

zashga

Cool, I love these infographics. I had three water crystal jobs in my random run, but no berserker! Lucky me...

Thanks again for running the event, again. See you next year.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm sorry for the weird bump, but I procrastinated and wanted to try to finish my run with the assigned party.

So I'm at the Archioavos worm boss, with two thieves, a bard and a time mage. I can definitely beat it by breaking rods, but when it comes back to life no elementals work on it, and I just get swamped by it and can't keep up. Anyone remember a hint I can use with this party? Have a feeling this could be one of the weaker parties, right?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sorry for the weird bump, but I procrastinated and wanted to try to finish my run with the assigned party.

So I'm at the Archioavos worm boss, with two thieves, a bard and a time mage. I can definitely beat it by breaking rods, but when it comes back to life no elementals work on it, and I just get swamped by it and can't keep up. Anyone remember a hint I can use with this party? Have a feeling this could be one of the weaker parties, right?

That is a solid set of jobs so far. Just not great for that fight. Bard is top tier for Fiestas, it will shine once you start getting some good songs to use. Time Magic isn't amazing, but it's frequently useful. Depending on your Earth job, Comet (which you will get relatively soon) might end up being one of your staple damage dealers. Thief's stealing and back attack prevention is nifty, but they aren't great at actually fighting. Wouldn't be bad to give them !Time so they can cast comet later for more damage against most enemies than their dinky knives.

Resurrected Archeoaevis has super low defense. Weak as your thieves are, they are going to be your strongest offense. Unless you missed them (and both are fully missable), your strongest weapons should be the Moonring Blade (backrow-friendly) and Main Gauche. Failing that, Mage Mashers. Take advantage of your time magic for haste/slow to get more turns in. Time mage can assist with a Mage Masher.

Bard has the lowest strength, so they are your ideal caster/potion thrower with the time mage backing them up if you need two characters on it.

If you are short on potions, you can steal common high potions from page 256 the library. They are the hardest pages to find, but there is about a 30% chance of them showing up in the dark rooms. They also have a rare Ninja Suit steal which is the best world 1 armor, and Page 32 has a rare Green Beret steal which is worth going for while you are there.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Wow, thank you. I've been going nuts with Time Mage's healing staff, he keeps my party healthy, but I only have mage mashers. I think I'll just have to get lucky. The health ticking down on everyone has become really a problem.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes a little luck is required when you run into bosses that have advantages against your party. With sufficient hi potions that one should just be a little time consuming, but not really difficult. Without hi potions it's tougher. If I get a thief assigned, I always make sure to stock up in the Fire Ship dungeon, since the Poltergeist enemies have them as a common steal and appear 100% of the time in one of the rooms. Not coincidentally, parties with thieves also tend to be parties that need those high potions the most.

For a real rough time, try thief+berserker against Byblos, with no fire job due to getting ranger/bard. That's probably the most frustrating thing I've had to deal with during a Fiesta. A grindy mess.

Top Bottom