• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2015: It's beginning to look a lot like chaos!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just rings, cool, that should make it relatively easy to steal them.

And I didn't realize Gilgamesh wasn't heavy in the fight before the Barrier Tower. I had to do it twice because the first time he died to a death sickle before I stole the Genji Glove.

H83Z9FC.png

Berserker certainly makes this battle easy.

I guess I could theoretically beat Gil Turtle, but I don't think I'm going to bother. Have to rely on evasion, and not using Earthquake with the Gaia Hammer. Both of which are pretty luck dependent, so maybe after 500 tries or something it would eventually happen... but yeah.

I don't see Omega going down because I don't have any way to survive everything. Shinryu should be pretty easy at least.

Plan on getting at least one dragon lance. I'd like two, but that might take too long (wouldn't be as bad if you didn't have to make them transform before you can steal them). Couple Thor Hammers would be nice too, one in a chest so only one to steal. The nice thing in both cases is that I have !steal and I'm not just relying on the knife.

Grinding was necessary, didn't even start the rift because I knew I'd just have to leave. Wouldn't be able to take an Almagest or kill that part before it got one off. Need money or levels, Phoenix Tower provides both - especially money with those steals (common reflect rings on floor one? Sure). Pretty much have to heal after every fight though due to the status ailments and enemies hitting hard.

Neku89

For my 3rd (normal) run, I have Monk/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dragoon. I'm feeling pretty screwed, I don't have any reliable method of inflicting damage. Any suggestion? I'm thinking to pledge a couple of bucks and change the Dragoon into something else...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
For my 3rd (normal) run, I have Monk/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dragoon. I'm feeling pretty screwed, I don't have any reliable method of inflicting damage. Any suggestion? I'm thinking to pledge a couple of bucks and change the Dragoon into something else...

You could swap the Geomancer for a Ninja, that would improve your Dragoon (dual wield), Red Mage (throw), give you a better chicken knife wielder, smoke to escape random battles, and would make Shinryu doable.

Not sure of any other single job swap that would add as much. Blue Mage could help a lot. Samurai could too through Zeninage and Iainuki.

Some of the rift bosses are actually kind of challenging this time around since my main method of killing is just hitting things with sharp edges. Prepared for Neo Exdeath, at least.

AxAlq04.png

(Might need to restock hi potions, I think I used nearly 50 against Apanda).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
xxEUI2r.png

I had to kill it twice because I am dumb and didn't take a screenshot the first time. A bit reliant on luck with this setup, but it works.

Yes, Lenna is still a Frog and has been since the Halicarnassus fight.

TjtfKoN.png

That concludes FFV: Lenna's Nightmare. She definitely proved to be the punching bag this run regardless of what job she was using. Capped off particularly poorly, with her constantly dying during my Phoenix Tower grind, being stuck as a frog for the last leg of the rift (because she wasn't doing much attacking as a thief anyway), was constantly being KO'd by Neo Exdeath, and finally was the sole casualty at the end of the fight after taking a Vacuum Wave and Comet to the face.

This win came through sheer luck with Krile carrying the team. She managed to avoid three Almagests, one via jump, and two via Aegis Shield since the jumps were poorly timed. With that section down she continued dodging attacks and tanking some hits, while Faris and Zartz threw Fuma Shurikens and Lenna mindlessly swung axes on the infrequent occasion she wasn't KO'd.

neoemonk

Gotta get going on my run again. I just got the submarine in World 2. My party is level 35 so I'm just running now to build up that Chicken Knife but I've been playing more FF XIV and Dark Souls 2 than this.

neoemonk

Got the Chicken Knofe at full power but now I need to grind some AP to get Rapid Fire on my Ranger. I've decided that Beastmaster/Ranger/Berserker/Berserker is kind of dull. Berserkers screw up control so my Beastmaster basically fires off one big attack and then hits with a whip. Pretty much an attack-fest.

Oh wow that was a random game over I was not expecting

Died on Melusine wasn't expecting my Ninja to deal 0 damage with his melee attack leading me to have to throw shurikens, which would have been fine... but I had flee on my thief which made her useless and a dancer with mug because I had been going for the thief glove steal... I honestly forgot the fight happened and was expecting my Ninja to steam roll it like he had the last few boss fights, oops.

I also had no one with Time Magic, will probably be a lot easier a second time but I'm salty as I didn't save after clearing the pyramid so now I have to re-steal the second thief glove -.-

So after not getting to play much the past few weeks, I powered through the end of World 2 and finished the game the past couple of days. Pretty bland and uninteresting party this year.

Final Setup:
Bartz - Dragoon / !White
Lenna - White Mage / Dualcast
Krile - Geomancer / !White
Faris - Red Mage / !White

I just slapped Hermes Sandals on everyone, buffed with Protect/Shell/Blink, and spammed Holy with everyone to down all the bosses.

Chris R

Totally going to get to the Earth Crystal tonight... I know I can do it, just sucks that I have to play plugged into the wall. Guess I need to buy a new micro battery at some point :(

Boney

Banned
Any tips against shinryu? Got ranger / mystic knight / bard / samurai

Got coral rings on everyone except bard, who I got Hermes sandals as he's the main damage dealer and get Pheonix'd down after the first the tidal wave. Rapid fire flare sword works as well and I have the samurai hasting and the ranger healing but I don't luck out. Still using the enchancer cause I haven't ran that much so I guess that can up my attack power but still, any tips?

Haha nvm, just had to grind the chicken knife and doubled my MK output. So yay, cleared the super bosses for the first time

How do I tweet those?

Teknoman

Another roadblock:

Exdeath's castle, Exdeath battle after Gilgamesh gets zapped to the void:

kZOcBSS.jpg

Im at a loss. Vacuum Wave just really has me in a bind since the only healing method I have are hi potions and a few elixirs.

Another roadblock:

Exdeath's castle, Exdeath battle after Gilgamesh gets zapped to the void:

kZOcBSS.jpg

Im at a loss. Vacuum Wave just really has me in a bind since the only healing method I have are hi potions and a few elixirs.

Do you have Flame Rings that you can equip? Fira/ga Sword is good for heals.

Teknoman

Don't suppose you got reflect rings, either?

Nope, I usually just mute sword or sleep sword anything with spells. I wish I just had an item to use to cast protect. I can handle everything else, its just V. wave hits me for up to 1k at times, and then its a constant drain. Damage output seems kinda low too. Can run through Gilgamesh just fine.

AxelRyman

Neo Member
Have your Mystic Knight use Drain Spell Blade as well to help with healing. If Faris knows it as well, you can combine it with Dancer, though I think for her I'd prefer giving the HP +x% from Monk instead due to Dancer's low HP pool.

neoemonk

Ranger/Beastmaster/Berzerker x 2

I'm going to try farming Villas in World 3 with the death squad: Killer Bow, Assassin's Dagger, Death Sickle x2.

Curious to see how this works.

Edit: I was slaughtered mercilessly.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ranger/Beastmaster/Berzerker x 2

I'm going to try farming Villas in World 3 with the death squad: Killer Bow, Assassin's Dagger, Death Sickle x2.

Curious to see how this works.

Edit: I was slaughtered mercilessly.

I tried that and failed too. They must have some really high magic evasion or something because instant death never activated for me in quite a few attempts. I kind of wondered if what I'd seen about them not being immune was wrong.

Teknoman

Ok. One quick thing to do is get Faris one more level. This won't help a huge amount, but at least you won't have to worry about L3 Flare. And as long you're doing that, you might as well pick up enough AP to have Lenna master Monk and then pop HP +30% on her. Since Vacuum Waves are giving you trouble, put as many Elven Mantles on people as you can, and maybe give the Geomancer a Main Gauche if they're mostly using !Gaia or throwing potions.

I'm not sure who does more damage at this point, the Monk or the Dancer (with !Spellblade, I'm guessing?). You could try moving whoever does less damage to the back and having them focus more on healing. Or if the Monk does more damage, give the Dancer and Geomancer barehanded and move everyone to the front and go for an all-out attack. I dunno, just spitballing here.

Edit:
Oh, and don't be shy about using Elixirs. You probably won't need them otherwise until the end of the game.

Have your Mystic Knight use Drain Spell Blade as well to help with healing. If Faris knows it as well, you can combine it with Dancer, though I think for her I'd prefer giving the HP +x% from Monk instead due to Dancer's low HP pool.

Alright, i'll give that a shot, and yes drain blade really helps alot. I think I try to rely too much on dancing blade though, since sometimes the game just gives me a flood of jitterbugs / tango.

Link Man

Banned
Dear lord they made Exdeath a lot tougher in the mobile port (unless you have a Bard or Chemist). Doesn't even give a warning for Almagest.

They also nerfed Gil Toss in this version.

Exhumed

Love this time of year. Got Witcher 3 outta the way so I've decided to start a regchaos run.

Actually I'm still unclear about regchaos. I still tweet as I get to the crystals right? It's just the jobs can be from a future or previous crystal?

Started with Blue mage. Made Garula super easy, glad I picked up flash on the North Mountain. Got to the water Crystal and ended up with Dragoon as my second job. I guess I stick with Blue mage until I get there right?

I tried that and failed too. They must have some really high magic evasion or something because instant death never activated for me in quite a few attempts. I kind of wondered if what I'd seen about them not being immune was wrong.

They're not immune, as I managed to get one assassin's blade kill on them during my Berserkerx2/Ninja/Dancer run. Looking it up though, it seems like they have 90% magic evade, so the chances of that working are super low.

edit: I don't think Odin checks Magic Evade, so summoners could do this one easily.

neoemonk

Beast/Ranger/Zerker x 2 - all level 39

Necrophobe is proving to be a challenge. I can't survive the blasts of holy/flare with all the randomness coming from my Berzerkers. Is there a catch/release that can help, or should I just try working on Exdeath now? I'm wondering if I'm going to encounter the same problem with him, and the only solution will be to grind out some levels.

AxelRyman

Neo Member
Love this time of year. Got Witcher 3 outta the way so I've decided to start a regchaos run.

Actually I'm still unclear about regchaos. I still tweet as I get to the crystals right? It's just the jobs can be from a future or previous crystal?

Started with Blue mage. Made Garula super easy, glad I picked up flash on the North Mountain. Got to the water Crystal and ended up with Dragoon as my second job. I guess I stick with Blue mage until I get there right?

Yeah you stick with 4 Blue Mages until you hit your Earth Crystal. Here's hoping you get a Chemist and/or a Dancer with your Dragoon.

Also IOS port has quite a lot of changes so if Gil Toss was nerfed then I'm not surprised. Some of the changes are just baffling and kinda dumb though.

neoemonk

I gave my Beastmaster and Ranger a sword dancer each and unloaded on Necrophobe's barriers. Once I was able to kill one everything else fell in place.

Next up, a few cursory attempts at Exdeath. If I feel like I can get close I'll push through with the attempts but I think I may have to grind some elixirs.

SkyOdin

I...

I actually beat Shinryu! A first for me! I cheesed the heck out of the fight using Chemist and White Mage, but I'm pretty sure that's the proper method.

Too bad I don't have a Knight and thus can't use the Ragnarok. :( I was really hoping that Red Mage could equip it.

AxelRyman

Neo Member
Woot. Got lucky and only had to face two Grand Crosses on that run, and neither of them were particularly troublesome.

So now what do I do to make sure my victory gets registered properly?

Tweet @ff5forfutures #victory and include the image for your victory to be processed.

I gave my Beastmaster and Ranger a sword dancer each and unloaded on Necrophobe's barriers. Once I was able to kill one everything else fell in place.

Next up, a few cursory attempts at Exdeath. If I feel like I can get close I'll push through with the attempts but I think I may have to grind some elixirs.

If you haven't already beaten him I'll give you an example as to what I'd do with your team. Feel free to use it or try something else.

First I'd have Beastmaster capture the Dragon Aevis outside the Dimensional Castle area, the one between it and the Caves. They cast Breath Wing which will deal 25% Max HP. On Neo, that's 9999 to all pieces. I would say to have Ranger do it as well, but you'll want Rapid Fire Chicken Knife for damage. Hopefully you kept the Beast Killer whip as well from the Island Shrine. Lastly I'd give both your Zerkers Equip Bows. This will give them Ranger's base Agility, which is good, and you can have one of them use Yoichi's Bow for the 30% Crit chance it has.

Ok so Neo fight starts. Beastmaster releases Dragon Aevis to deal 9999 Damage to all parts, Ranger does Rapid Fire Chicken Knife, and hopefully a lot of attacks hit the Almagest part. Once Beastmaster has another turn, attack with the Beastkiller whip on the Grand Cross part. This whip has a 50% chance of paralyzing Magic Beasts. That part is a Magic Beast. Now you can disable Grand Cross and avoid annoying status effects.

Not sure what level you are, but you'll want to be at a level that gives you at least 2000 HP so you can survive Almagest. Hopefully you outfitted your Zerkers with Aegis Shields as well to possibly negate Almagest as well.

neoemonk

#Victory

Got my party up to level 44. Put Rapid Fire on my Beastmaster and gave him the Chicken Knife. Put Catch on my Ranger. Had my Berzerkers using Assassin's Knife and Thor's Hammer. Had my Ranger throwing Elixirs and Phoenix Downs as needed. Took me three tries. If Grand Cross made my controllable characters uncontrollable it was over. Zombie, both Instakilled, etc. Started with magic lamp for Odin and had my Ranger and Beastmaster also throw out a caught Rukh.

Boney

Banned
Yeah you stick with 4 Blue Mages until you hit your Earth Crystal. Here's hoping you get a Chemist and/or a Dancer with your Dragoon.

Also IOS port has quite a lot of changes so if Gil Toss was nerfed then I'm not surprised. Some of the changes are just baffling and kinda dumb though.
I do to think it was nerfed, at least if it is it's consistently doing 2500-4000 damage so it's alright.
iOS version fixed Vampire which was dumb as hell in the GBA version

neoemonk

I kind of want to do another run but I don't know if I will stick with it and finish in time. This is the first year I did berzerker risk and I got two of them. I won't do it again but I'm glad I did one at least. I haven't tried a Team 750 run but I always thought it would be easy, and my reg chaos with berzerker risk ended up being a No 750 run. I might just do a normal run just for the novelty of it.

Exhumed

Hmmm just hit fire Crystal and I now have blue, Dragoon, Dragoon... So that means I'm stuck with a duplicate job? Is this how chaos is meant to work?

Boney

Banned
Started a new regular run for the last one this year.

Got Blue Mage (finally!)/ mystic knight / Beastmaster / Chemist

Looks like it'll be a ridiculous run again. Yeesh

Hmmm just hit fire Crystal and I now have blue, Dragoon, Dragoon... So that means I'm stuck with a duplicate job? Is this how chaos is meant to work?
Sadly yes. You need to have two Dragoons at all times. Shame because ít's one of the lamest jobs to get a duplicate. But at least Blue should give you a lot of leeway

Boney

Banned
Awesome, thanks!! Will put that in the notes as you did for ease of reference.

Might as well ask. Any useful monsters I should catch with Beastmaster? Seems like it's never worth the hassle..

Link Man

Banned
Awesome, thanks!! Will put that in the notes as you did for ease of reference.

Might as well ask. Any useful monsters I should catch with Beastmaster? Seems like it's never worth the hassle..
Shield Dragons cast Almagest, can control them and use Blaze 4 times for easy capture.

AxelRyman

Neo Member
For Beastmaster...

World 1:
Sand Bears - They deal 2320 to a single target. Really useful if you are having trouble with bosses like Archeoavis or Byblos.

World 2:
Lycaon - Not as strong as Sand Bears(2030), but still hurt a lot. Useful once you have access to Drakenvale and good for a few fights here and there.

Ironback- Hard enemy to kill but if you can damage them and lower there health down enough, that's 6204 damage to a single target.

Magic Dragon - casts Blaze, which deals 25% of the enemy's Max HP. This works on bosses. Boss doesn't have over 40000 HP? 4 of these will kill. Even more powerful if the enemy is weak to it. Useful to get by Exdeath.

World 3:
Bio Solider - The Zephyrus summons this one in the Pyramid. It has Blaze as well.

Ronkan Knight - Uses Strong Attack for 5640. Also summoned by Zephyrus

Cleft of Dimension:
Dragon Aevis - Casts Breath Wing, which is 25% max HP and Wind Elemental. Hey look you have your cheesing move for Neo Exdeath.

Crystelle - Casts Mighty Guard which is helpful. REQUIRES EXCALIPOOR THOUGH!!! It only has 3 HP and Excalipoor will hit him for 1 HP, so hit twice, and capture.

For Chemist

Kiss of Blessing (Maiden's Kiss + Holy Water) - I like this Mix for Physical damage dealers. One it gives them Haste and 2 it gives them Berserk, so they can really hurt.

Hasty-ade (Eye Drop + Turtle Shell) - Useful if you just need Haste. Good for World 2 and start of World 3 before Hermes Sandals becomes available.

Turtle Soup (Turtle Shell + Antidote) - Halves Defense and Magic Defense. Make sure to aim this one the enemy since the cursor defaults on your own party. Good to bypass the high defenses on some enemies or make it easier to kill.

Dragon Shield (Phoenix Down + Dragon Fang) - Grants Protect, Shell, and Reflect, and I think Regen, on a party member. Good all-in-one defense mix.

Dragon's Power (Potion + Dragon Fang) - Increases character's level by 20 for the battle. Levels will increase your damage output. Very useful especially if you have a Monk in your party, due to how Fist's damage fomula works.

There are a few other potential mixes but they are situational. I recommend checking the Wiki for some of them, but there are a few others that could be useful for you.

SkyOdin

Anyone got a good resource for the best/useful mixes in the game?

There are a ton of great mixes. I've somehow gotten Chemist three times, so I created a paper chart of all of the mixes. However, if I was to focus on the essentials:

Healing Mixes:
Phoenix Down + Potion: Ressurection, essentially an Elixir on a dead character.
Potion + Ether: X-Potion, a full HP restore.
Hi-Potion + Ether: Half-Elixir, a full MP restore
Antidote + Eyedrops: Heals a lot of temporary status ailments such as silence

Defensive Buffs:
Elixir + Dragon Fang: Giant's Drink (double HP) on anyone
Turtle Shell + Eyedrop: Haste Drink on anyone
Ether + Eyedrop: Absorb Fire
Phoenix Down + Antidote: Absorb Ice
Phoenix Down + Eyedrop: Absorb Lightning
Dragon Fang + Ether: Negate all elements
Dragon Fang + Maiden's Kiss: Gain "Heavy" status, you also count as a dragon-type
Maiden's Kiss + Antidote: Float status

Offensive Buffs:
Maiden's Kiss + Holy Water: Kiss of Blessing (Berserk, Haste, and Image), great for mudering all sorts of things.
Holy Water + Antidote: Gain 10 temporary levels, increasing damage
Holy Water + Eyedrops: Gain bonus power for all elements, same as equipping an elemental rod.

Attacks:
Dragon Fang *2: Do Fire, Ice, Lightning damage = to users current hitpoints.
Dragon Fang + Holy Water: Do Holy damage = to user's current hitpoints.
Maiden's Kiss + Turtle Shell: Drain about 1800 damage from the target
Dark Matter *2: Shadow Flare, a high-power magic attack.
Maiden's Kiss + Eyedrop: Confuse target

Okay, that's a long list of essentials, but it covers just about everything that is really practical. There are a few other good ones, but these are the ones you will likely use on a regular basis.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you should farm Turtle Shells before you leave World 1. The best place to get them is from the Turtles around Karnak, particularly to the north where they appear in groups. It is a lot harder finding Turtle Shells later in the game. I farmed up 40 in my go this year, and that lasted me the rest of the game. If you see yourself using Drain Kiss as an offensive move more heavily, you may want to farm more. On the other hand, Dragon Fangs are easiest to get starting in World 2, but never stop being available.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You can get turtle shells in world 2 around Surgate, and world 3 on a peninsula south of the rift entrance. It is a good idea to grind for some in world 1 though just because you won't have access to any in world 2 until you get the wind drake. None in world 3 until you beat the pyramid, but that's hardly notable.

Gil Turtle also drops turtle shells. But that's not exactly reliable with 99% of parties.

SkyOdin

I decided to start a second run, since I finished early this year. I doubt I will seriously put in the effort to beat the game a second time, but I thought it would be fun to try out a Chaos run. The first class I got was Bard. Now, I'm happy to finally be able to try Bard out in the Fiesta, but I guess I won't be getting any mages, hah.

Top Bottom